Mulitiple Or Single Entry Retirement Visa?

Mulitiple or single entry retirement visa?

I'm not sure wich one will benefit me the most?

Ready to send in application but would like to know which one would be better?

Can someone please give me some info?

Thanks

It depends on how many times you plan to re-enter Thailand before the expiration of your current permission to stay.

The single-entry re-entry permit costs 1,000 Baht, multiple-entry 3,800 Baht.

--

Maestro

It depends on how many times you plan to re-enter Thailand before the expiration of your current permission to stay.

The single-entry re-entry permit costs 1,000 Baht, multiple-entry 3,800 Baht.

--

Maestro

Thanks for the quick reply,

So, as I see it no real benefit for the multi if i'm not planning to leave the kingdom in my year stay?

I'm sitting here in Los Angeles getting ready to send my app to embassy for a multi that cost's $175.00 and takes 10 days, or walk it in to the LA consulate get it back in the morning for $65.00.

I don't plan on leaving the country( thailand) and can do without any dvd runs to Tachileck.

Thanks

Oops, I read re-entry in your original post but you wrote retirement.

That’s a different story. You are talking about getting a retirement visa, ie an non-immigrant visa category O-A. I believe in the USA you can only get the single-entry non-OA visa. This will give you permission to stay for one year when you arrive in Thailand. If you do want to leave and re-enter Thailand during this period you have to get a re-entry permit first in order to keep your permission to stay alive.

--

Maestro

I highly recommend getting a multiple entry retirement "OA" visa in the USA which is what I did. Upon arriving in Bangkok, you can then apply for a multiple reentry permit which is used in conjuction with this visa to allow unlimited departures from & arrivals to Thailand with no problem. It's a bit more costly to get a "multiple entry" visa & permit but it's well worth it if there's even a remote chance that you'll be leaving Thailand (e.g., for an emergency) & returnining within your visa period.

The single entry OA visa allows you an initial entry & a stay in Thailand for 1 year. However, my understanding after checking with immigration is that if you leave Thailand within the year, your visa is no longer valid upon returning to Thailand regardless of your re-entry permit status. There is some debate about this but I'd rather be safe than sorry & have to restart the retirement visa process all over again. IMHO, the additional cost of a multiple entry is insurance of a smooth 1 year stay with any potential unplanned trips outside of Thailand. If you're deadset on staying in Thailand for 1 year without leaving, getting a single entry & saving a few $$$ is your calculated risk. Good luck...

A re-entry permit only keeps your permit to stay valid. If you have a single entry non-oa you have to get a re-entry permit if you leave the coutnry you will loose that one entryif you don't get a re-entry permit.

Some consulates in the US still issue multiple entry non-oa visas. LA is not one of them.

If you are living on the west coast LA is the only official Thai consulate you can use. But the honorary consulates do not go by the zone system and will issue you a visa no matter where you live. Most honorary consulates give same day turn around for mail in applications.

I have read reports that the Boston consulate issues multiple entry OA's.

For a list of honorary consulates use the pull down menu at the top of this webpage. Suggest you contact one of them and if you don't get the right answer then contact another until you find one that will help you.

http://www.thaiembdc.org/AboutEmb/EmbDirect.aspx

Sorry guys, I still don't understand the re entry permit thing.

Do I apply for the reenrty permit before I leave Thailand and present it upon re entering the kingdom/

And then you say I loose my one year status or whats left of it when I re enter?

Is the multiple oa visa only going to save me the cost of several re entry permits?

Do I make sence?

You get the re-entry permit at immigration. It will be valid for as long as your permit to stay that you get when you enter the country.

You only loose your entry if you don't have a re-entry permit if you have a single entry visa or multiple entry that has expired.

A multiple entry non-oa visa will allow you to enter and leave as many times as you want for one year getting a 1 year permit to stay each entry. You can use it up to it's use before date and get a 1 year entry. If you make an entry just before that date you will get a total of 2 years of stay in the country without getting an extension or another visa.

A multipe entry visa would save you 3800 baht if you planed on making several trips out of the country and got a multiple re-entry permit. Only 1000 baht for a single. It also saves you the 1900 baht fee plus the time and expense (income/bank letters) of getting an extension after your 1 year permit to stay that you get with a single entry visa.

"If you make an entry just before that date you will get a total of 2 years of stay in the country without getting an extension or another visa."

Thank you very much, I've made up my mind....

Mailing to DC -- or most of the honorary consulates -- for a multiple entry Non Imm O-A will, yes, cost you more than going in person to LA. But, going in person to LA, then having to come back the next day or so for pickup, isn't too convenient, compared to mail service. And, yes, LA will only give you a single entry O-A.

And the multi entry O-A is valid for 1-year, while the single entry has a window of 3-months from date of issue. No big deal -- unless your exit plans from the States slip.........

But, as you don't plan to travel (and thus not ever needing a re-entry permit), a multi entry O-A will allow you to stay away from Immigration for almost 2 years (if you do a border run right before visa expiration date, as explained ad infinitum on this forum) -- while a single entry means, after one year, you'll either have to return to the US for another O-A visa -- or go to Immigration for a retirement extension -- meaning financial goal posts to meet -- and maybe inconvenient travel, if you live in the sticks. Oh, and this will save you the $55 extension fee, so the O-A is no longer so expensive.

If you did plan to travel, the multiple entry nature of the O-A visa substitutes for the need of a re-entry permit during the one-year validity of the O-A. But with a single entry O-A, which becomes invalid (stamped "used") upon your single entry, a re-entry permit would be needed to keep valid that 365-day permitted to stay stamp you received when you entered. And, doing the two year drill with a multiple entry O-A, where you exit and enter right before visa expiration -- you would now need a re-entry stamp to keep that last 365 day permitted to stay stamp in effect -- because the visa has expired.

And then you say I loose my one year status or whats left of it when I re enter?

You'll only lose it if: you entered on a single entry O-A visa and didn't go to Immigration and get a re-entry permit. Or, if you're on year two of your multiple entry O-A -- and didn't get a re-entry permit.

Yeah, a multiple entry Non Imm O-A seems like a no-brainer. A few extra bucks -- but more flexibility. And, of course, forget LA -- and, even forget DC. The honoraries give the best service. Boston has been mentioned. My favorite is Houston. For specific requirements or questions, Email Michelle Aquilera at: [email protected] Or call 713-335-3901.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Sent everthing off to Houston today, Interesting to see how long it will take...

Jim,

Thanks, I sent the "OA" multiple visa application to Michelle.

Sent everthing off to Houston today, Interesting to see how long it will take...

Keep us advised. Houston has a great track record, but they are subject to tweaks from higher ups -- so your experience might give us a new perspective.

But, hopefully, you get your O-A hassle free, as advertised........

But the honorary consulates do not go by the zone system and will issue you a visa no matter where you live.

Joe, there have been reports that the honoraries at Denver and Miami will only deal with folks in their respective territories. These reports *may* have occurred during your sabbatical..... :)

Keep us advised. Houston has a great track record, but they are subject to tweaks from higher ups -- so your experience might give us a new perspective.

But, hopefully, you get your O-A hassle free, as advertised........

Thank you for reccomending the Thai Counsulate in Houston TX.

Sent all the paperwork required for the "OA" multiple retirment visa from Los Angeles and after 3 days received the visa in the mail today!

This has to have been the most pleasent experiance in dealing with any goverment office in my 50 years. Michelle has been the nicest person I have delt with in awhile.

After many years of 90 day visa runs, I have to say I won't miss Mae Sai at all.... :)

Thanks again