Do You Have A Love - Hate Relationship With Koh Samui

I am sure there have been lots of postings with similiar to this, but I figure I would make it easy with a simple posting. For me on this, the simple answer is yes

I feel this island has potential but with so many factors that everyone knows, this poor island is slowly having the life drained out of it. At least for now there are still plenty of tree's on the island. Eventually just to much over supply and not enough demand has long been happening on this island.

Oversupplied:

Hotels

Restaurants

Spas

Bars

Corruption

Bad Roads

power outages

Travel Agencies

suit shops

Even with this I still call samui home for now.

Yes -Love the life and can see the potential for the island -

but Hate - Slow progress and corruption .( When my wife phoned the electiric dept at 2am the other night during yet another power cut the person on duty was drunk out of his mind - So it is hard to see things improving in the short term ! )

Thais say be patient - things will change for the better ( New Mayor ) well I think they will be given another 6 months to prove themselves .

With the lack of tourists I am sure Hoteliers and the Tourist industry will be pushing for big improvements . Taxis , roads , noise pollution , electricity etc .

Now is the time to invest - To create jobs and a better Samui for the future - 1) Get the roads improved now whilst it is quiet -

Yes -Love the life and can see the potential for the island -

but Hate - Slow progress and corruption .( When my wife phoned the electiric dept at 2am the other night during yet another power cut the person on duty was drunk out of his mind - So it is hard to see things improving in the short term ! )

Thais say be patient - things will change for the better ( New Mayor ) well I think they will be given another 6 months to prove themselves .

With the lack of tourists I am sure Hoteliers and the Tourist industry will be pushing for big improvements . Taxis , roads , noise pollution , electricity etc .

Now is the time to invest - To create jobs and a better Samui for the future - 1) Get the roads improved now whilst it is quiet -

All my friends in Samui have been saying how quite it is....nice at last for someone to say on this forum how quite it really is...the usual few will come up with all the same old rubbish and facts and figures...still....thanks for the breathe of fresh air....

I am sure there have been lots of postings with similiar to this, but I figure I would make it easy with a simple posting. For me on this, the simple answer is yes

I feel this island has potential but with so many factors that everyone knows, this poor island is slowly having the life drained out of it. At least for now there are still plenty of tree's on the island. Eventually just to much over supply and not enough demand has long been happening on this island.

Oversupplied:

Hotels

Restaurants

Spas

Bars

Corruption

Bad Roads

power outages

Travel Agencies

suit shops

Even with this I still call samui home for now.

add: mafia :)

I love Samui.

The island has Tesco/HomePro/BigC/Makro which are perfect for monthly supply shopping. Next to these there are loads of small Thai shops that are now using the same prices as in Bangkok.

And while I'm there, the traffic jams, the dusty roads and the mafia taxi drivers are always a good reminder of how relaxed life on Tao is. Although I have to say that the last 6 months have been very quiet on Samui.

The annual floodings are good for yearly disaster-tourism - look and learn from Samui how not to make concrete wherever possible (e.g. the road from Makro to Big C - concrete everywhere!).

By the way, is that TV party still on in the coming weeks?

Samui is my favourite part of Thailand by a mile, it has everything to fill up a holiday like nightclubs/pubs/restraunts but the quieter parts of the island are only a short drive away ...

went to ko phangan for the first time and stayed on Thong Nai Pan Yai .... absolute paradise !

First visited about 7 years ago and have to say as much as i love the place Chaweng gets worse every year for me, last time i visted there were stag do's from the UK there making it look like bloody magaluf  ..... witnessed a big punch up outside sports bar ... first time iv seen that type of stuff there allthough i admit i only come once a year for a few weeks at a time..

Is this common? or was it just bad timing 

Integrity

Trust

Stability

Common Sense

Planning

Logic

Intelligence

Please read forum rules before posting again.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Care to introduce yourself, rysamui?

Are a person of integrity and stability who can be trusted with the common sense not to plan to bring a chunk of kryptonite in my vicinity since logic would dictate that such action might not be the most intelligent move, in the long run?

I've never heard anyone not complain about some aspect of where they live, be it London or Bangkok. Unless you are imprisoned where you live, you most likely are where you are by choice.

forum rules.

Do not post anything negative towards Thais.

what about information that was true or debatable.

not that i have anything positive or negative to say just want to know how free the speak is on here before i get another suspension. i suppose i should really have a proper read of the rules

Samui is my favourite part of Thailand by a mile, it has everything to fill up a holiday like nightclubs/pubs/restraunts but the quieter parts of the island are only a short drive away ...

went to ko phangan for the first time and stayed on Thong Nai Pan Yai .... absolute paradise !

First visited about 7 years ago and have to say as much as i love the place Chaweng gets worse every year for me, last time i visted there were stag do's from the UK there making it look like bloody magaluf ..... witnessed a big punch up outside sports bar ... first time iv seen that type of stuff there allthough i admit i only come once a year for a few weeks at a time..

Is this common? or was it just bad timing

Somebody care to enlighten an old man what that could mean?

Sure my friend i will certainly try :D  what nationality are you ?

"stag do's" - when a guy is about to get married he arranges a holiday with all his mates where there are stricktly no women allowed, they all get extremely drunk and are very rowdy to say the least.... the groom usually ends up tied naked to a lamp post somewhere and has to walk home ! in uk we call this holiday the Stag do and for women its the "hen" party ............ surly they have similar things in other countries ????

Magaluf is a town in Majorca which is full of brits on their "stag do's" ....... lots of drunk males fighting/being sick and general bad behaviour ......   

not the place for a nice "old man" like yourself :)  saying that im only 28 and the place is my worst nightmare

Sure my friend i will certainly try :) what nationality are you ?

"stag do's" - when a guy is about to get married he arranges a holiday with all his mates where there are stricktly no women allowed, they all get extremely drunk and are very rowdy to say the least.... the groom usually ends up tied naked to a lamp post somewhere and has to walk home ! in uk we call this holiday the Stag do and for women its the "hen" party ............ surly they have similar things in other countries ????

I saw stag-do's ruin Estonia when I was there as they did many places across Europe. I certainly hope they don't start flooding Samui.

Sure my friend i will certainly try :D what nationality are you ?

"stag do's" - when a guy is about to get married he arranges a holiday with all his mates where there are stricktly no women allowed, they all get extremely drunk and are very rowdy to say the least.... the groom usually ends up tied naked to a lamp post somewhere and has to walk home ! in uk we call this holiday the Stag do and for women its the "hen" party ............ surly they have similar things in other countries ????

Magaluf is a town in Majorca which is full of brits on their "stag do's" ....... lots of drunk males fighting/being sick and general bad behaviour ......

not the place for a nice "old man" like yourself :) saying that im only 28 and the place is my worst nightmare

Aaaahhhh, you mean like a batchelor party, but abroad? Thanks for the explanation pal, thought I know a bit about british culture, shame on me. Not that I'd miss these parties from what I read, but at least these guys have a reason to behave a bit crazy (shackle-trauma).