Retirement Visa Vs Religous Studies Visa

I have a question to ask of the Thailand Visa experts... I have been living here in Thailand for 3 years on a Retirement Visa.. I am seriously considering becoming a ordained Buddhist monk... are there any advantages or disadvantages to opting for a Religous Study Visa vs keeping my retirement visa? I already have been shown how to go about getting a religous study visa but am interested in the pro's and con's, so to speak... thanks for your help in advance... :)

This is the rule.

The only advantage that I can see is that there is no mention of money in the bank being needed.

2.13 In the case of study of Buddhism or religious function:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1)

The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2)

Confirmation has been issued by the National Buddhism Office or the National Buddhism Office of the Prime Minister’s Office or the Mahachulalongkorn University; and

(3)

Confirmation has been issued by the abbot of the temple where the applicant is studying or performing the religious function.

Believe it would appear better, and appearance is a concern for a monk, if you used the religious option rather than retirement (which requires monetary proofs).

thanks Lopburi3, I believe this is correct... My retirement visa comes up for renewal prior to Khao Phansaa, when i am going to ordain, so will go with the retirement visa this time, and next year, if i'm still a monk, go for the religious option.. thanks again... :)

This is the rule.

The only advantage that I can see is that there is no mention of money in the bank being needed.

2.13 In the case of study of Buddhism or religious function:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1)

The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2)

Confirmation has been issued by the National Buddhism Office or the National Buddhism Office of the Prime Minister's Office or the Mahachulalongkorn University; and

(3)

Confirmation has been issued by the abbot of the temple where the applicant is studying or performing the religious function.

thanks lite beer... i now have a retirement visa, which i got with a non-o, i may have to change back to a non-o, confusing, but doable.. as i have a high muckety muck Buddhist monk friend in the Sangha hierarchy who would be more than happy to help me... :)

You came to Thailand with a non-O visa and are now on an extension of stay based on retirement. You can just change your reason of stay to studying Buddhism. It doesn't require you get a new visa, only that the next time you go for an extension of stay to immigration you state you want to stay for studying Buddhism and submit all relevant papers for that purpose.

You came to Thailand with a non-O visa and are now on an extension of stay based on retirement. You can just change your reason of stay to studying Buddhism. It doesn't require you get a new visa, only that the next time you go for an extension of stay to immigration you state you want to stay for studying Buddhism and submit all relevant papers for that purpose.

thanks mario2008.. so would this mean i am still on a retirement visa, as there is a stamp "Retirement" in my visa section, or would a new stamp " Religous Studies" be stamped in my Passport..??

• 1 year later...