House/land Sale

HDRIDER

Some people think that marrying the love of your life, building a massive house in Isaan for 2 mil., having kids, watching them grow up, go to school, etc, etc, is not being a cheap charlie, they don't drink Chang all day and don't need broadband, Carrefores or any of the other western amenities.

That's not me, by the way. Still haven't met the love of my life.

But the reason they do it in Issan or wherever is simply because they cant afford to do it anywhere near a beach or that has tourist attractions.........

But the reason they do it in Issan or wherever is simply because they cant afford to do it anywhere near a beach or that has tourist attractions.........

Not necessarily.

Most, in my opinion are door-mats who get talked into living where the wife wants, not where they would prefer to live.

A home doesnt actually need to be that much more expensive in Phuket. Rather than building 5 bed/5bath/pool on 5 rai in Issarn, you build the same on a smaller plot here at the same landprice. And have the beaches as your garden.

I have never been to Isarn, but I know what its like countryside here in the south, and I just manage with one night away from Phuket/Hua Hin/Bkk/Chang Mai. I dont mind living closer to nature, I just miss all the (farang) stuff finally available here.

Can you build for the same price here? I was getting some quotes for some basic buildings here and in Lanta and they were much more than what I have heard of in the north and northeast for similar type buildings.

In my opinion/experience the raw building costs tend to be more expensive on Phuket Island. Transportation costs (for building materials) are more than in the north, and labour costs are through the roof here. I can't really say how much more, but just a ball park figure, then I would say at least 30% raw building costs more. Land price is a way (way) different costing.

Can you build for the same price here? I was getting some quotes for some basic buildings here and in Lanta and they were much more than what I have heard of in the north and northeast for similar type buildings.

In my opinion/experience the raw building costs tend to be more expensive on Phuket Island. Transportation costs (for building materials) are more than in the north, and labour costs are through the roof here. I can't really say how much more, but just a ball park figure, then I would say at least 30% raw building costs more. Land price is a way (way) different costing.

Isarn construction workers tell me they make 20-30% more money in Phuket than BKK. In Isarn they dont find work. Thats typically 200-400k extra labourcost for a large pool-villa.

Some construction materials are 10-12% more expensive in Phuket than BKK(transportation). Some have the same price. I assume they are more expensive in Udon Thani than in Bkk too.

What is really expensive in Phuket, are the "builders". Guess they have to charge to pay for those 4x4 pickups, Fortuner, Mia Noi and the parties. :) I gave them up couple of years ago, and hire the same subcontractors to do each job, like one for concrete structure, one for walls, one for roof etc.

Iv seen friends quotes from Isarn, and they have been very low spec materials. Like using PVC 8,5 for pressurewater.

Iv seen friends quotes from Isarn, and they have been very low spec materials. Like using PVC 8,5 for pressurewater.

That's a good point. Because it's mostly a foreign buyer's market, a higher standard of construction materials is demanded. 8.5 wall thickness pipe is less than half the price of 12.5 wall thickness pipe. Plus here in Phuket hot water pipes are becoming the norm. That adds a lot to building costs + the mixer valves are at least 10 times the price of just cold water taps. Then electrical fittings, with proper conduits, fuse breakers, earth grounding, etc. All adds to a lot more than a 'simple' Thai style house in the Issan market.

Not necessarily.

Most, in my opinion are door-mats who get talked into living where the wife wants, not where they would prefer to live.

Thats a good point actually and had never thought of that....makes sense to be near the extended family.

That's a good point. Because it's mostly a foreign buyer's market, a higher standard of construction materials is demanded. 8.5 wall thickness pipe is less than half the price of 12.5 wall thickness pipe. Plus here in Phuket hot water pipes are becoming the norm. That adds a lot to building costs + the mixer valves are at least 10 times the price of just cold water taps. Then electrical fittings, with proper conduits, fuse breakers, earth grounding, etc. All adds to a lot more than a 'simple' Thai style house in the Issan market.

yepp

When it comes to materials you get what you pay for. No problem to build for 10-12k/sqm in Phuket too. A upcountry house may look like a palasse build at 9k/sqm, but then I know what its build from.

Thats a good point actually and had never thought of that....makes sense to be near the extended family.

Really?

My own point of view is to keep at least 1000 Kms distance between me and the extended family.

Edited by Sir Burr

Really?

My own point of view is to keep at least 1000 Kms distance between me and the extended family.

You could always move to Laem Phromthep to get a few more klicks away. :)