What Would You Change About Thai Culture?

universe2000

If you could change something about Thai culture to make life easier for a foreigner, what would it be? (A wish list, since it isn't going to change)

Here is my first comment:

Less discrimination in pricing

I find that a foreigner will pay more for the same service provided to a Thai citizen. This is discrimination in some countries and illegal. In most cases, it is a minor difference, but it is a little annoying to get used to. Prices are usually not listed for many purchases, so it is up to the seller to determine what they want to sell it for, and can discriminate all they want (even directly in front of you).

note: This is not suppose to 'showcase' perceived problems with the Thai culture. In fact, it will help me better understand differences in the culture. Part of trying to adapt to the culture. Hopefully it helps others that are experiencing culture shock.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could change something about Thai culture to make life easier for a foreigner, what would it be? (A wish list, since it isn't going to change)

I find that a foreigner will pay more for the same service provided to a Thai citizen. This is discrimination in some countries and illegal. In most cases, it is a minor difference, but it is a little annoying to get used to. Prices are usually not listed for many purchases, so it is up to the seller to determine what they want to sell it for, and can discriminate all they want (even directly in front of you).

note: This is not suppose to 'showcase' perceived problems with the Thai culture. In fact, it will help me better understand differences in the culture. Part of trying to adapt to the culture. Hopefully it helps others that are experiencing culture shock.

Stop using so many plastic bags and fastening them with elastic bands with that special farang proof knot especially hot food!

Don't put the reciept under the coins and between the notes in the 7-11 I don't want it in my pocket or wallet

These 2 things have happened to me today and i know they are normal but i wish.....

Lying as in the small little pointless ones, they all do it, its ingrained into them.

I agree wholeheartedly with that comment. If they would talk straight and not as a snake it would be an improvement. We feel there is no need for the 'deceptions' or little & the bigger lies to save face.

Straight talking from so many women, as I get from friends, would be a bonus.

Civic pride. Thai urban areas seem to be so dumpy, the state of the roads and footpaths in particular + piles of rubbish, dilapidated buildings etc. The people seem to just put up with a crap urban environment whereas the pressure should be on local govts to fix it up.

Lying as in the small little pointless ones, they all do it, its ingrained into them.

I agree wholeheartedly with that comment. If they would talk straight and not as a snake it would be an improvement. We feel there is no need for the 'deceptions' or little & the bigger lies to save face.

I wonder if the sons and daughters of Farang that are brought up over here will behave in a "Stand up Guy" kind of manner, in that there is no need to question in your mind what theyre saying is the truth ..... somehow i think local influences will win the day to keep the status quo.

I wonder if the sons and daughters of Farang that are brought up over here will behave in a "Stand up Guy" kind of manner, in that there is no need to question in your mind what theyre saying is the truth ..... somehow i think local influences will win the day to keep the status quo.

Its called a British Boarding school, sort them right out !

Easier for foreigners... Then it has to be the language. Change it to english and much much easier for foreigners.

That would be number 1: open the border for foreigner business, give foreinger rights to. And the country will benefit from it.

clean and tidy.....they leave bags, shit, and rubbish everywhere, Wipe the walls with dirty hands, pick their noses,never wash their hands... dirty b@st@rds

That would be ALL Thais would it ? - or just the circle that you move in ?

I wouldn't change a thing. If we applied all the changes that you lot want to Thailand it would be just like the west. I like Thailand because it's bizarre and unusual and nothing at all like home.

I wouldn't change a thing. If we applied all the changes that you lot want to Thailand it would be just like the west. I like Thailand because it's bizarre and unusual and nothing at all like home.

:)

Well I think the thai culture for most part is too much of …love and family-hood.

I just wish “sometimes” is alright to have Me-ism, instead of We-ism.....or a well balanced version

You do, say, study, become somebody, ….for most times thats what the family wants you to be….not what you want for yourself.

Especially for western educated thais……very difficult to fit right back in after the oversea study….."the new you - but still OLD thailand"....sigh sigh

Many of us feel like….we’re “a farang kid” in the familyLOL :)

Edited by teacup

Have you got an example of discrimination in pricing for yourself?

I know it happens but if you have a WP all the entrance fees i've been asked to pay have been the same as the natives.

Food prices are given in restaurants

Learn Thai numbers and then you can listen in the market for the prices of unmarked goods as the stall holders tell a native the price you can listen in with your paranoid ear and check the pricing

I'm really interested to know your own experiences and not just hearsay.

Remove the xenophobia.

I would implement an education program--targeting children (too late for adults)--to teach them that xenophobia, excessive greed, extreme nationalism, laziness, lying and cheating are wrong and will not benefit the country.

I would also like to teach them to stop judging people by the clothes they wear or how much money they have......evil/good men and rich/poor men wear suits.

And that thing they do with their finger and nose.......that has to stop. :)

I'd change the 'wai' and title etiquette a bit. No 'wais' between strangers (in particular waiter/door person/flight attendants doing robot wais all day to total strangers with no respect behind the wai). No wais from elders to younger folks just because the younger individual is wealthier, with possible exception to those with top tier titles.

:)

clean and tidy.....they leave bags, shit, and rubbish everywhere, Wipe the walls with dirty hands, pick their noses,never wash their hands... dirty b@st@rds

That would be ALL Thais would it ? - or just the circle that you move in ?

It is a general answer to a general question, just look at most rural villages, then tell me I am wrong. :)

Well I think the thai culture for most part is too much of …love and family-hood.

I just wish "sometimes" is alright to have Me-ism, instead of We-ism.....or a well balanced version

You do, say, study, become somebody, ….for most times thats what the family wants you to be….not what you want for yourself.

Especially for western educated thais……very difficult to fit right back in after the oversea study….."the new you - but still OLD thailand"....sigh sigh

Many of us feel like….we're "a farang kid" in the familyLOL :)

Is this my daughter-in-law?

Easier for foreigners... Then it has to be the language. Change it to english and much much easier for foreigners.

or at the very least, change the alphabet to roman style letters... trying to read these chicken scratches is really, really difficult... :)

I agree 100%. People travel the world to experience different cultures. If you want Thailand to be just like your home then stay home and imagine as you are walking the streets of your city you are in thailand. Why would you want to pay airfares and hotel bills to be in a replica of your home. I love Thailand just the way it is.