How Long Before We All Get Kicked Out?

CrossBones

I was told many years ago to NOT concern myself with things I had no control over.

Who told you that? Was his name Seymour? I always listen to what I am told too. Best not to worry, be happy ...

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we all know that Thailand is a bit of a mickey-mouse country with an inflated ego and most of us have learnt that the powers that be in this country despise ordinary farangs. We have come to accept that unless we are especially wealthy our presence here is mildly tolerated. Thai culture teaches the uneducated locals that they are superior to us, and the educated Thais resent us because they know in all honesty that this is not true. Perhaps they have an inferiority complex.. but one thing for sure is that in Thailand they most certainly call the shots and stick together for their own interested so in that respect when we are in Thailand we are most certainly at the bottom of the barrel.

I am wondering how long it will be before we are evicted from this country permanently, and what will happen if we lose the right to own condos and the right to be married to a Thai.

I say this seriously because I dont think its too far fetched that things may actually come to this eventually.

Not too far fetched, true, however my guess is (just a guess) that it will be certain groups that will be allowed to stay - those married to Thai citizens that provide support, and those who own businesses that provide jobs for Thai citizens and are not in competition with Thai businesses. As I said, merely a guess, but I certainly agree with your premise - our remaining here as guests is arbitrary at best.

I guess what you are saying is that those who choose to live here legally, (correct visa to reside, marry, work or retire) will be ok and those who stay permanantly and in many cases working on tourist visas or VOA for years on end will eventually be weeded out and life will be made harder for them.

I thought that is what has been happening?

those who stay permanantly and in many cases working on tourist visas or VOA for years on end will eventually be weeded out and life will be made harder for them.

I don't buy it. Fairly recently, it has become MUCH easier for those who want to stay without "proper" visas. You can now stay here indefinitely on double entry tourist visas from Laos, plus unlimited 30 day air entries, with NO DAY COUNTING. Not to mention the widespread use of ED visas that allow people under 50 to stay here for years by just studying a FEW HOURS a week! The trend is OPPOSITE of what many have stated ...

The recent so called "crackdown" on land border running is a mere triviality compared to the larger liberalization.

If immigration wants to catch illegal workers, catch them at the WORKPLACE, how hard is that?

Edited by Jingthing

those who stay permanantly and in many cases working on tourist visas or VOA for years on end will eventually be weeded out and life will be made harder for them.

I don't buy it. Fairly recently, it has become MUCH easier for those who want to stay without "proper" visas. You can now stay here indefinitely on double entry tourist visas from Laos, plus unlimited 30 day air entries, with NO DAY COUNTING. Not to mention the widespread use of ED visas that allow people under 50 to stay here for years by just studying a FEW HOURS a week! The trend is OPPOSITE of what many have stated ...

The recent so called "crackdown" on land border running is a mere triviality compared to the larger liberalization.

If immigration wants to catch illegal workers, catch them at the WORKPLACE, how hard is that?

Why can I see your posts? I added you to my ignore list a long time ago, oh well lets try again!

I thank you all for this thread. Some of you are positive - but most of you are p***** off (as me).

I do not know whether to laugh or cry - but DO NOT get children in this 'First World, Developed Country'.

Being a hostage because I have children here is not my kind of entertainment anymore ...

If you are able to Vote With Your Feet: GO!

And which laws would those be? Again, just your opinion, without any facts or details to back it up. How come you don't dispute the immigration information I have provided, based on facts, on at least 2 posts on this thread, and one on the Pattaya thread? Because you don't have any valid information, that"s why.

Most of the readers here know precisely what I and others have been talking about........you don't. So I don't see any need to respond to what you are posting. And we have gone over it many times in the past.

But it might help you to understand the situation if you constructed and posted a table comparing the visa rules/prices in 1999 and the visa rules/prices in 2009.

JR, every piece of information I have provided, can be easily verified, by looking at the translations of the Royal Police Orders found in the pinned topics section of the "Visa and Work Permit " section. I never said costs haven't gone up, but I do consider them reasonable. If a person can't afford to be here, I don't see that as the Thais responsibility.

So, if the Thais don't want us here, why is it so easy to come here or stay here? I've already described the actual immigration situation, so won't bother again this time.

The difference between my post and yours, is I can backup everything I've written, with factual information, in writing, you can't.

But, apparently you aren't really interested in the true facts anyway, you would rather just complain.

Well JR hasn't provided any facts yet, but he did bring up an interesting question. He has mentioned, he thought Thaksin was a big part of the problem, so far as the "Thais are all out to get us" attitude and how unfair the visa costs are.

Here's a couple of facts for you. The coup happened September 19, 2006, if I read correctly, but visa price changes didn't occur until July 2, 2007.

I'll just list the price in U.S. dollars, as the information provided in a thread, was presented that way. I also used information provided from the Honorary Consul's office in Houston, TX.

Pre July 2, 2007 / Current fees

Tourist Visa, per entry, $20.00 / Tourist Visa, per entry, $35.00

Non-immigrant, Single entry, $50 / Non-immigrant, Single entry, $65.00

Non-immigrant, 1 year, Multi-entry, $125.00/ Non-immigrant 1 year, Multi-entry, $175.00

Yep, things went up a few dollars/Baht but I wouldn't describe it as a financial burden to chase away foriegners. Especially when you consider there are free 30 day entries for about 40 countries, no limits, and until recently, unlimited land border crossings, which now have been reduced to 4 entries, also free.

As I said before, if the Thais really want us out, they aren't doing a very good job. All I've seen here are a few complaints about poor or impolite service, and maybe a few crooks. But, I think we all can find those things in our home counrties, don't you?

Edited by beechguy

I personally have been treated very respectfully by Thai people. Moreso in many ways than in my own country.

I do not see any of this hate foreigner attitude myself. And why would Thailand kick out the people who support their economy. I work with some Thai people who are involved in tourism and basically are more concerned with getting more foreigners to come here than in kicking kick out the ones that are here. I do not understand why if people are unhappy here and suffering so much they don't leave.

Ok well some people here seem to think that they feel welcome here and others do not.

I do sense that it is going to get harder for us to stay here permanently regardless of if we are married to a Thai. Thais dont like us marrying their women, they dont like to recognise dual nationality and dont like their people getting overseas citizenship. Recent laws now say we cant even buy our wives a house for us and our children to live in (unless it was her money) so not only do they not want us now they dont want our money. Until recently a "famous" legal company used to advertise all over this forum and if you contacted them they would tell you how it was dead easy to own a property with a nominee company, times have changed, they would basically tell you any old rubbish to get some commission from you.

If they didnt actually NEED our money I doubt they would want us at all. I think our (expat) presence here is just tollerated because if something happens to us then this is bad for tourism - and a lot of influential people here have investments in tourism industry. I think a number of Farangs on this forum here are a bit wet behind the ears and still believe that the attention they get here for being a foreigner is genuine. Sometimes it is, but it does not take much for people to turn against you here and Thailand does have more of a cultural consciousness which does include negative feelings towards white people. If you have a falling out with a local and you are in the right there is a pretty good chance that nobody will take your side. There is a general "we shouldnt be here" attitude and even other foreigners seem to accept this, and if you have accepted that then why still here?. At the same Time, more or less any Thai you meet would welcome the opportunity to go and study or work in our countries, at least for some time... and thats OK isnt it?

Someone crashed into the back of my car while i was parked (in a legal parking area) and I had to pay the other car for damages, all the police in the police station were on the Thai's side. I am clean cut, polite (to a point), and was dressed in normal "holiday attire". This is a typical example, and their are many.

We might have family here, children etc but we arent accepted here at all. In Australia I see many Thais here able to fit in and be accepted by the society. In Thailand NO never we will always be not meant to be here, and in time our own children will just see us as a "Farang".

Someone said I was paranoid, perhaps I am - but thats a good thing in Thailand. Just because you are paranoid doesnt mean that people arent out to get you and my experience here is that this is a minefield of people out to get you and you dont need to be doing anything "wrong" to suddenly find yourself in a precarious situation at any time. At least Thailand is never boring.

My first post was basically stating my own feelings (from being here 8 years only) that things are getting harder (visas, business ownership, relationships certainly) for us here. I also sense a less welcome feeling from general locals I meet on a day to day basis.

Sorry if this rocks anyone boat

Someone crashed into the back of my car while i was parked (in a legal parking area) and I had to pay the other car for damages, all the police in the police station were on the Thai's side. I am clean cut, polite (to a point), and was dressed in normal "holiday attire". This is a typical example, and their are many.

Sorry but it rocks my boat. I have to admit that I'm no paid up member of the 'Thailand fan club', but I find the above quote misleading. Unless there's been a physical injury Thai police don't usually get involved in traffic accidents. If they do it's only on the highway, not in a "legal parking area". Even if its's on the highway they still won't get involved other than mark up the road in white spray paint. If nobody was injured they just let the insurers sort out the problem. The chances of a claim affecting your insurance premium the following year is really negligable. Sorry 'CrossBones', but other than a few highway police, I find them okay and decent.

Propaganda, propaganda ...

When talking to Thai people, the anti-Thaksin clique accused Thaksin of selling out Thai strategic interests (satellites) to foreigners.When talking to foreigners, they accuse Thaksin of being some kind of racist, foreigner hater politician.

We already know things are already much worse for Thai people.

Are things getting any better for foreigners ? Reading this forum, I don't think so.

You are not that stupid, make up you own mind.

Ok well some people here seem to think that they feel welcome here and others do not.

I do sense that it is going to get harder for us to stay here permanently regardless of if we are married to a Thai. Thais dont like us marrying their women, they dont like to recognise dual nationality and dont like their people getting overseas citizenship. Recent laws now say we cant even buy our wives a house for us and our children to live in (unless it was her money) so not only do they not want us now they dont want our money. Until recently a "famous" legal company used to advertise all over this forum and if you contacted them they would tell you how it was dead easy to own a property with a nominee company, times have changed, they would basically tell you any old rubbish to get some commission from you.

If they didnt actually NEED our money I doubt they would want us at all. I think our (expat) presence here is just tollerated because if something happens to us then this is bad for tourism - and a lot of influential people here have investments in tourism industry. I think a number of Farangs on this forum here are a bit wet behind the ears and still believe that the attention they get here for being a foreigner is genuine. Sometimes it is, but it does not take much for people to turn against you here and Thailand does have more of a cultural consciousness which does include negative feelings towards white people. If you have a falling out with a local and you are in the right there is a pretty good chance that nobody will take your side. There is a general "we shouldnt be here" attitude and even other foreigners seem to accept this, and if you have accepted that then why still here?. At the same Time, more or less any Thai you meet would welcome the opportunity to go and study or work in our countries, at least for some time... and thats OK isnt it?

We might have family here, children etc but we arent accepted here at all. In Australia I see many Thais here able to fit in and be accepted by the society. In Thailand NO never we will always be not meant to be here, and in time our own children will just see us as a "Farang".

Someone said I was paranoid, perhaps I am - but thats a good thing in Thailand. Just because you are paranoid doesnt mean that people arent out to get you and my experience here is that this is a minefield of people out to get you and you dont need to be doing anything "wrong" to suddenly find yourself in a precarious situation at any time. At least Thailand is never boring.

My first post was basically stating my own feelings (from being here 8 years only) that things are getting harder (visas, business ownership, relationships certainly) for us here. I also sense a less welcome feeling from general locals I meet on a day to day basis.

1) Um, I have Thai dual Thai/Australian nationality. Many people have dual nationality...so that puts paid to false piece of information no. 1 in your post

2) Don't like Thai's getting overseas citizenship? Bha. Laws have been progressively liberalised, culminating in 1992 legislation which makes all that very possible, without forefeting Thai nationality. My mother, an Australian citizen since the late 1970's, automatically had her Thai citizenship restored in 1992. Rights to owning land for Thai women married to forginers were restored in the late 1990's.

3) Not accepted? I've worked for the Thai government, and continue to advise them on issues from time to time (as do many, many foreign consultants and advisors). To say foreginers aren't accepted by those at the top is total tosh.

4) Australia a paradise for immigrants? To a point, but hey, but don't be an indian student on a train at night.....and trust me looking Asian in Australia isn't always the best look to have....

Propaganda, propaganda ...

When talking to Thai people, the anti-Thaksin clique accused Thaksin of selling out Thai strategic interests (satellites) to foreigners.When talking to foreigners, they accuse Thaksin of being some kind of racist, foreigner hater politician.

We already know things are already much worse for Thai people.

Are things getting any better for foreigners ? Reading this forum, I don't think so.

You are not that stupid, make up you own mind.

time to buy another lottery ticket me thinks.....lighting striking twice.

Very agreeable post (to the extent that Thaksin was none of those things....)

As for things getting better for foreginers? Reading this forum you'd think Thailand was a Nazi Germany and they were the next target on the gestapo's list. I've seen one too many 'First they came for the ....." posts

I get the down points of Thailand and I have traveled well enough to know that this is the same everywhere you go. What I cannot understand is when people honestly think that the Thai gov is out to get us ???? :)

The west and Thailand have a long history together and I do not see why they would suddenly throw us out, I put it to you that if you have been thrown out or are in the future, did you deserve it ? probably yes. There are hundreds of things that annoy me about this country but I have never felt like everyone loathes me as I walk down the street, of course you are going to get the odd patriotic Thai but they do not control the country thank God, the big man does and he along with the rest of them have a very good personal relationship with the west, always have.

Yes there are a lot of problems in Thailand and yes we are often on the wrong end of fairness but in no way are the Thai's thinking up some evil scheme as we chat away on TV to throw us out and claim all our assets. That theory really is crazy :D

I get the down points of Thailand and I have traveled well enough to know that this is the same everywhere you go. What I cannot understand is when people honestly think that the Thai gov is out to get us ???? :)

The west and Thailand have a long history together and I do not see why they would suddenly throw us out, I put it to you that if you have been thrown out or are in the future, did you deserve it ? probably yes. There are hundreds of things that annoy me about this country but I have never felt like everyone loathes me as I walk down the street, of course you are going to get the odd patriotic Thai but they do not control the country thank God, the big man does and he along with the rest of them have a very good personal relationship with the west, always have.

Yes there are a lot of problems in Thailand and yes we are often on the wrong end of fairness but in no way are the Thai's thinking up some evil scheme as we chat away on TV to throw us out and claim all our assets. That theory really is crazy :D

Couldn't agree more.

Couldn't agree more.

Totally disagree.........you said it is "the same everywhere you go." No, it is not the same and that is why so many expats have left Thailand for better places and others are contemplating it.

The bulk of the visa/business rule changes that have taken place in Thailand over the past ten years are based on xenophobia and not security.

At times it does seem like somebody is making changes to the system in order to "throw us out."

Most recently a high ranking govt. official proclaimed that it is illegal for a foreign spouse of a Thai wife to use his money to buy property (land, house, etc)........he went on to say that such property could be seized by the government.

Is that part of a plan to seize our assets?

In no other country would such a policy stand. If that happened in the United States, a collective class action lawsuit would ensue and the person who made the statement would no longer be employed by the government.

How long before we all get kicked out? I don't think there will ever be a time when "all of us will be kicked out." But Thailand is no longer expat friendly and the situation continues to get worse each year.

Couldn't agree more.

Totally disagree.........you said it is "the same everywhere you go." No, it is not the same and that is why so many expats have left Thailand for better places and others are contemplating it.

The bulk of the visa/business rule changes that have taken place in Thailand over the past ten years are based on xenophobia and not security.

At times it does seem like somebody is making changes to the system in order to "throw us out."

Most recently a high ranking govt. official proclaimed that it is illegal for a foreign spouse of a Thai wife to use his money to buy property (land, house, etc)........he went on to say that such property could be seized by the government.

In no other country would such a policy stand. If that happened in the United States, a collective class action lawsuit would ensue and the person who made the statement would no longer be employed by the government.

How long before we all get kicked out? I don't think there will ever be a time when "all of us will be kicked out." But Thailand is no longer expat friendly and the situation continues to get worse each year.

People like Bravingbangkok and Spysee are selective when it comes to looking at all the facts. Throw facts back at them and they either disappear or make even more illogical or badly thought out comments.

Couldn't agree more.

People like Bravingbangkok and Spysee are selective when it comes to looking at all the facts. Throw facts back at them and they either disappear or make even more illogical or badly thought out comments.

JR and others have refused to dispute the facts I provided, because they can't. JR finally came up with one example of why he thinks there is anti-foriegnor sentiment, but very few other facts. I would say he and others, have also been "selective". If you do a little research, you'll find some people in the legal profession say there is little to be concerned about in the land ownership example he provided.

I've already described and referenced the basic immigration regulations, based on facts, supported by translation of legal documents. JR and others don't want to talk about that.

The fact is, it's easy to come here and stay. Is Thailand the same as before? No. Is it the same as everywhere else? No. But, if you would listen to JR and others, they would have you believe it's one of the worse places in the region, perhaps the world.

I and many others disagree, again, based on fact. They so far, have only related stories of impolite wait staff, rude treatment, and possibly some minor police corruption.

Edited by beechguy

Couldn't agree more.

I agree with what you said but you forgot one.......Beechguy......when Beechguy says something I am reminded of something Woody Allen said in a movie: "Excuse me, I am due back on planet earth."

Well, there again, it's easy to run your mouth or fingers as it were, if you don't have any regard for the truth or factual information.

By the way, they did start charging for Tourist Visas again. a whopping 1,000 Baht per entry, good for sixty days each, no limit, of course the 30 day entries are still free. Yep, them Thais sure are making it hard, JR, maybe you should start packing your bags, apparently you think they're coming to get you. :)

Sorry but it rocks my boat. I have to admit that I'm no paid up member of the 'Thailand fan club', but I find the above quote misleading. Unless there's been a physical injury Thai police don't usually get involved in traffic accidents. If they do it's only on the highway, not in a "legal parking area". Even if its's on the highway they still won't get involved other than mark up the road in white spray paint. If nobody was injured they just let the insurers sort out the problem. The chances of a claim affecting your insurance premium the following year is really negligable. Sorry 'CrossBones', but other than a few highway police, I find them okay and decent.

Police will certainly get involved if the Thai involved in the 'accident' happens to have a relationship with the police. I speak from personal experience.

Well, there again, it's easy to run your mouth or fingers as it were, if you don't have any regard for the truth or factual information.

By the way, they did start charging for Tourist Visas again. a whopping 1,000 Baht per entry, good for sixty days each, no limit, of course the 30 day entries are still free. Yep, them Thais sure are making it hard, JR, maybe you should start packing your bags, apparently you think they're coming to get you. :)

Your comments really do not deserve a response. And you still refuse to compare the situation in 1999 to now.....wonder why?

But for those who are interested, this link might be instructive:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/forum/viewtopic...f=29&t=2120

This is a fact........interpret it any way you want.

They can't afford to throw us out. Look at what happened when the government tried to introduce controls on foreign funds in the stockmarket: The biggest one day fall ever and the government was falling over itself to retract its stupid controls. The only suprise was the lack of protest by said 'foreign speculators'. They didn't even say goodbye, they just pulled out all stops and went.

Hey, I heard tomorrow they will kick all foreigners out of Thailand. If you don't go they will put you in jail, and the bail will be set at 10 million baht for all farang, because of course all Thais think all farang are millionaires.

Get out now!!!

:)

Your comments really do not deserve a response. And you still refuse to compare the situation in 1999 to now.....wonder why?

And this in contrast to the past, when Thai women who married foreigners were not allowed to own any property at all. So, in this case it's gotten better, not worse. So sorry it doesn't fit your argument this time. Try again. Oh, and this article is about a law that has already been in existence, and it's there to be abused by the officials, but frankly I think many can attest here (perhaps they don't want to) that they have had no problem giving money to their wives and then having the wife buy property. It happens way too often to be controlled, and is one of those huge gray areas that can be exploited either way.

I'll read the article in a few minutes. 1999 is ten years ago, what hasn't changed in ten years? JR, I posted the visa costs previously, before the 2007 increase. I didn't look farther back to see how long those had been in effect. Yes, they did raise the "Extension of Stay" amounts, but I don't consider them to be unreasonable amounts.

Also, that is money that stays in the individuals bank, not paid to the Thai government. Even if people don't have enough money to qualify for the extensions of stay, it still doesn't mean they have to leave the country.

Ok, read the article, the same information was refuted by a legal firm, but don't recall where I read it. I'll try to find it when I get a chance.

Edited by beechguy

And this in contrast to the past, when Thai women who married foreigners were not allowed to own any property at all. So, in this case it's gotten better, not worse. So sorry it doesn't fit your argument this time. Try again. Oh, and this article is about a law that has already been in existence, and it's there to be abused by the officials, but frankly I think many can attest here (perhaps they don't want to) that they have had no problem giving money to their wives and then having the wife buy property. It happens way too often to be controlled, and is one of those huge gray areas that can be exploited either way.

too right. Plus the relaxation on laws that allow dual citizenship, and to pass on Thai nationality no matter where a child is born.

My two daughters have blond hair and blue eyes, and if you dropped them into Sweden or Denmark, they wouldn't look any different to the natives. Oh, and they are Thai citizens, and enjoy the full rights accorded to Thai citizens.

Oh, but yes. This is a government which hates all things farang. So hatefull in fact, that the ladies at the Thai passport office were falling overthemselves to look after them a few weeks ago, and that two people at a time rushed to put on my older daughters shoes at the reclining buddah the other day.

Yep, them hateful thai's.

In the past you purchased property via a company.......that situation changed (two years ago?) causing major problems. I do not remember a Thai official from the Land Dept. ever coming out and publicly proclaiming that the property can and will be seized.....that is a major change in attitude. As I said, interpret it as you like.........statements like that, however, are making many of us very uncomfortable.....not just me.