The Tax Office Location

Thulemin

Hello guys !

I've got a bit of a problem. I'm preparing the documents for my new WP with a new company so I went to my previous company (the one I was working with in 2008) to get my tax receipt and form. From what people told me, my former employer was supposed to declare me. It was my first year, so I didn't need to pay taxes.

The problem is they didn't declare me. But I still need to show the tax receipt and form to City Hall next month when I'll go ask for a WP. So I got a paper with my salary from this previous company and I now need to go and declare myself (and probably pay a fine for being late...).

Some people told me you pay taxes at City Hall and some other told me it's next to the Three Kings Monument. Can someone tell me exactly where the tax office is ?

Thanks a ton :)

The tax office is in city hall 100%. I think if you make less than 240,000B per year you don't have to pay but you do have to file. My work place takes care of my taxes for me every year but the first year I had to do it myself. I don't want to steer you wrong so I won't give you directions but the tax office is the building behind the court house, the office you want is at the end of the hall, I don't recall if it was written in English or not. Also they can set up an account on the internet for you so you don't have to go back again and they will give you a card that is like an American Social Security card.

It also is next to the Three Kings monument. If you stand in front of it, facing it, go down the street on your left about 200 meter. On your right you'll then see a for the city center relatively big parking lot. The tax office is in a building at the center back of that parking lot. I don't know about the office mentioned above, where i did my taxreporting were just a counter right to the left of the main entrance to that building. I did my reporting in the role as an employer and don't know if employees have to go somewhere else, so maybe you better try out the above directions first.

By the way: It appears that the posters above may think of two different things when the say "City Hall". Work permits you don't get anywhere near the Three kings Monument. You'll have to go to the big Amphur/Provincial office complex about 7 Kilometers North of the Monument.

Edited by satiariyan

Thanks both of you :D

I know City Hall already (I did my WP on my own last year) so I'll give it a try tomorrow morning. If I can't find it there, I'll go next to the 3 Kings monument. The guy who directed me to the 3 kings was also an employer so maybe that's the place for employers, whereas City Hall is for employees ? Shall see... :)

Hello guys !

I've got a bit of a problem. I'm preparing the documents for my new WP with a new company so I went to my previous company (the one I was working with in 2008) to get my tax receipt and form. From what people told me, my former employer was supposed to declare me. It was my first year, so I didn't need to pay taxes.

The problem is they didn't declare me. But I still need to show the tax receipt and form to City Hall next month when I'll go ask for a WP. So I got a paper with my salary from this previous company and I now need to go and declare myself (and probably pay a fine for being late...).

Some people told me you pay taxes at City Hall and some other told me it's next to the Three Kings Monument. Can someone tell me exactly where the tax office is ?

Thanks a ton :)

Never heard of, "It was my first year, so I didn't need to pay taxes." Having a work permit means that you have to receive a certain salary, between 40,000 and 50,000 Baht, as a Westerner, and you have to pay taxes on it. If your employer did not report the income and they and you did not pay the taxes you will both be in a lot of trouble and you might not get a new work permit. Good luck with this one. Your taxes could be as much as 60,000 Baht.

The tax office is near the 6 King's monument. Get an accountant to go there with you and maybe you can file late and pay the taxes and a fine. Only when you straighten this out should you go to the work permit office.

The tax office is near the 6 King's monument.

I once had to pay that fine. 200 bahts :). I believe that my employer had reported my income but I really don't know if it made/makes a difference.

There are only 3 kings. :D

Edited by MonsieurHulot

Never heard of, "It was my first year, so I didn't need to pay taxes." Having a work permit means that you have to receive a certain salary, between 40,000 and 50,000 Baht, as a Westerner, and you have to pay taxes on it.

Come on, lots of teachers managed to get a WP and then earn 30k or less in Chiang Mai. CMU teachers earn about 17,000bt a month part-time and they have a WP. My former company wrote on the paper they would pay me 10k per month (it was kind of volunteer but with some help for accommodation and food). I had no problem getting a WP with only 10,000 baht per month.

Second, people who earn under a certain salary won't need to pay taxes on their first year. I'm sure you can ask most teachers and you'll get a confirmation on this.

But thanks for giving your input anyway :)

Edited by Thulemin

Never heard of, "It was my first year, so I didn't need to pay taxes." Having a work permit means that you have to receive a certain salary, between 40,000 and 50,000 Baht, as a Westerner, and you have to pay taxes on it.

Come on, lots of teachers managed to get a WP and then earn 30k or less in Chiang Mai. CMU teachers earn about 17,000bt a month part-time and they have a WP. My former company wrote on the paper they would pay me 10k per month (it was kind of volunteer but with some help for accommodation and food). I had no problem getting a WP with only 10,000 baht per month.

Second, people who earn under a certain salary won't need to pay taxes on their first year. I'm sure you can ask most teachers and you'll get a confirmation on this.

But thanks for giving your input anyway :)

Yes that is correct. I work at CMU (I'm not an English/language teacher though) the salary doesn't matter nor does it need to meet immigrations standard if you have a Work Permit. I think the full time teachers get about 19,000฿ per month plus 8,000฿ non taxable for housing (I get that too) and the extra classes they teach are paid at 750฿ per hour also nontaxable and if they are a decent teacher they get up to 3 extra classes per semester which is 9 hours a week do the math not to shabby the catch is they don't get paid till the end of the semester for the extra classes but it is one lump sum nontaxable.