Thirty Suspected Swine Flu Cases In Phuket

george

other than that, u should always keep your immune system strong. lots of mangos and papaya salad

In 1918, the people most at risk had very strong immune systems; their strong immune systems killed them attacking the virus, not the virus. So far this current version does not appear to generally be behaving that way, though there were cases in Mexico that appeared that way, but since then it appears to be mild.

Yes what happens is the killed virus leaves little pockets of dead tissue in the lungs that then fill with fluid.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every Texan has traveled to Mexico. I spent four years attending Sul Ross State Univ. just 80 miles north of the Mexican border in Texas. I have traveled into the interior of Mexico. The Southern portion of Mexico is beautiful. But poverty in that country is unbelievable. Always has been. The elite in Mexico (5% control more than 90% of the wealth) are gald that their chief export is poor people. That way those people will not rise up because of starvation and hopelessness and overthrow the Government. I said nothing in my posts that is not true. Every country in the world has begun to seal their borders as unemployment rises and the governments are forced to take care of the unemployed - many illegal - with taxpayers money. Xenophobic? Just another word used by those who revert to name calling in order to deny one his/her freedom of speech. And for those U.S. haters, and haters of Texas and the rest of the South, we really don't give a dam_n if you hate us. We pretty much think the same of you.

My wife and I own a home in Phuket and will be retiring there in July. We have a huge problem with illegal immigration and it is one of the major reasons I am leaving the U.S. It is no longer safe here and is too expensive to live a decent life. Even then, I know the U.S. to be the most generous nation in the world regardless of what the Europeans whom we have saved in two World Wars think.

I can't stand George W. Bush who like his father George H.W. Bush was born in Connecticut. Fact is, like it or not, more than 85% of all Mexican Americans in the U.S. vote for candidates of the Democrat Party. Is wrong then to think that 85% plus of the illegals who are granted citizenship by the Obama admnistration - Bush wanted to do the same thing - will vote 85% + for the national and state Democrat Party? Is that yet another statement posters will label with the smear words "racist" and "xenophobe?" As a Texan (I can add Californians, New Mexicans, & Arizonans - we are all on the front lines bordering Mexico - I think we are in a position to know more about Mexicans than are the rest of the states in the U.S. and certainly more than Europeans, Canadians, and other foreigners. BTW I think all politicians, no matter the political party, are the No. 1 criminals in the world.

Give it a rest, if you didn't really care you wouldn't be writing a lengthy piece. You forefathers were imported too, and now you are importing yourself to Thailand. I foresee problems with the attitude you are showing. Good luck anyway.

Call someone a "racist" and then you say "give it a rest?!" My wife is Thai. Would a "racist" really marry outside his/her race? Come on. I have been traveling to Thailand for more than 25 years and have many Thai friends. Problems? I have never had problems in Thailand. My forefathers did emigrate from the U.S - Germany, Austria, Hungary, Ireland & Scotland - legally. They learned to speak English and assimilated into the American culture. I do intend to "give it a rest" now. I did not engage in calling you hateful words - someone I don't know. Smear words are easy. If you wish to debate subjects, I am willing to do that. Name calling is really a cheap shot.

Call someone a "racist" and then you say "give it a rest?!" My wife is Thai. Would a "racist" really marry outside his/her race? Come on. I have been traveling to Thailand for more than 25 years and have many Thai friends. Problems? I have never had problems in Thailand. My forefathers did emigrate from the U.S - Germany, Austria, Hungary, Ireland & Scotland - legally. They learned to speak English and assimilated into the American culture. I do intend to "give it a rest" now. I did not engage in calling you hateful words - someone I don't know. Smear words are easy. If you wish to debate subjects, I am willing to do that. Name calling is really a cheap shot.

Ok .. you're a "selective racist" .... hey ! only joking mate! .. I don't know about the others .. but I apologise for "my" accusation earlier. Your subsequent posts have convinced me I was wrong.... not that you needed to convince anyone of course. I would have just told the lot of us to go and take a long jump off a short pier.

Well you sure had some of us fooled than with your comment on mexicans..... Again: good luck.

This is a completely different strain than the one from the Spanish pandemic of 1918, or the Hong Kong flu in

the 60's. It shares little characteristics, and to date, looks to be low grade, and causing little harm. 141 deaths

is just not enough to get worked up about. OK, it is affecting a younger population, and that is precisely what

seems to have the epidemiologists alarmed. But, so far there is no indication that there will be a massive outbreak,

and until the worldwide death toll exceeds 10,000, we should remain calm, and not allow ourselves to buy into the

hype that the media is perpetrating. There is simply no scientific proof that this will be a real pandemic. Look at

the facts, and try not to be so emotional.

The only thing which has changed from yesterday to today is the expected increase in the number of suspected cases

(and levels of hysteria on majority tinfoil-hat populated web forums).

What hasn't changed are the base facts:

-A H1N1 fatality rate is similar to normal seasonal flu

-Hospitalisation rate is similar to normal flu and severity is similar

-Most cases report mild symptoms, along with a +98% full recovery rate

Observations: Thailand is no more or less immune from swine flu than the US, UK, Australia or the rest of the planet.

Swine flu is presently no more or less dangerous than normal flu.

I'm now off to 'brave' the pandemic in a crowded skytrain enroute to a Bangkok shopping/breeding centre (well, actually Panthip;)

If no further posts appear, 'it got me'...

Do try to remain calm, rational and make the best of your day all. :)

(for others, perhaps consider changing your sigs to: "It's not me, it's the paranoid people, they're after me"...)

It is a level 6 pandemic.

They can't stop it.

It kills the young or infirm at 0.5% of infected.

it's vector of infection is quite fast compared to many flues.

And that means 1 million infections will not be to far off, and the concurrent 5,000 deaths.

1 million infections is a VERY short hop to two million infections and your 10k dead.

if each victum infects two others, and ONLY two others before diagnosis:

30k x 2 ea 90k (includes original infected person)

90k x 2 ea 270k

270k x 2 ea 810k

810k x 2 ea 2,430,000

and 12,150 deaths if it hasn't mutated to worse.

Just keep doing the math... lots a folks on the globe these days.

And this before the coming Fall's flue season, and the second wave of a likely mutated strain.

If we dodge the bullet of this getting worse, it will likely be

because we didn't IGNORE it NOW, and took measures to slow it's progress.

Edited by animatic

die today or tomorrow at last one day have to die .. so live happy.. and care your self.. be brave and think from brain.. not with media reports..

care the things as we do in normal life.. help others better not to points and fight is that true flu or not..

cynical me thinks its all to do with mortality

a short while ago we were all thinking doom and gloom economy - media

now we are told were all gonna die from the flu - media

why not tell us who is responsible for the deception in the World Financial Markets, how theyre all getting caught and are going to jail for a long time - Nah - that'll never happen - but it would brighten my day

so let us all think were gonna die and then we will all go out and spend spend spend as if theres no tomorrow - now that makes sense.

people its only a virus - some get it some dont - evolution - strong survive

get over it - go look for a bankster/politician to take action against - dont be misdirected away from the mission.

OR you will be paying off the accrued future debt with your kids/grand childs future

I am told the swine virus is mutating into the obama virus as you read this. We are all doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!666

There is simply no scientific proof that this will be a real pandemic.

It is already a pandemic.

Pandemic merely describes the properties of the mass infections, and says nothing either way about the relative severity or mildness of the virus. Currently, this is a mild virus. It has similarities to historic viruses that have become very lethal and as only people over 58 have any immunity to this, it is quite appropriate for both world governments and people (not sheeple) to be concerned about this.

Edited by Jingthing

There is simply no scientific proof that this will be a real pandemic.

It is already a pandemic.

Pandemic merely describes the properties of the mass infections, and says nothing either way about the relative severity or mildness of the virus. Currently, this is a mild virus. It has similarities to historic viruses that have become very lethal and as only people over 58 have any immunity to this, it is quite appropriate for both world governments and people (not sheeple) to be concerned about this.

Jingthing, I hear you, and the mind boggles at those that

blythly go on their way with half baked ideas about reality.

One of the greatest dangers is lack of ANY caution, as expounded by the mis-informed or under-informed.

I don't care what 'The Media' says if the numbers are true.

Time, transmission rates and death rates,

coupled with proximity to OTHER viruses and rates of mutation.

Yes, the likelihood of you and yours dieing is relatively small AT THE MOMENT,

but... a BIG but,

that may or may NOT stay true in 6 months or a year.

And THAT is what all the bruhaha is about.

Edited by animatic

This is such a non-issue. This will never amount to anything really serious. Between 250,000 and 500,000 people die annually,

worldwide, from the normal flu. So far, 141 people have died of the swine flu, this year. Compared to approximately 125,000

to date this year for the other flu. Which flu would you rather have? Of the 27,000 people infected to date, 141 have died. Do

the math. This is a media based hysteria. There is nothing to it. I am not concerning myself for a nanosecond over this.

I somewhat agree with your sentiment but you might perhaps look at the problem from the perspective of a Thai business owner or native resident in Phuket, the news is simply not good and compounds existing problems to date - livelihoods are suffering very badly already. The other aspect of course is the fear factor that is most evident and that's not helpful in a poorly educated and frequently mis informed society.

This is such a non-issue. This will never amount to anything really serious. Between 250,000 and 500,000 people die annually,

worldwide, from the normal flu. So far, 141 people have died of the swine flu, this year. Compared to approximately 125,000

to date this year for the other flu. Which flu would you rather have? Of the 27,000 people infected to date, 141 have died. Do

the math. This is a media based hysteria. There is nothing to it. I am not concerning myself for a nanosecond over this.

I somewhat agree with your sentiment but you might perhaps look at the problem from the perspective of a Thai business owner or native resident in Phuket, the news is simply not good and compounds existing problems to date - livelihoods are suffering very badly already. The other aspect of course is the fear factor that is most evident and that's not helpful in a poorly educated and frequently mis informed society.

"Misinformed" and I would say "uninformed" society indeed! A few days ago we heard about the infections at a school in Pattaya, including it's name, yet there was also 17 staff infected at a disco

in the city and nowhere is the name of the disco published - why not? "In the name of tourism"

they would say but surely it is the duty of all concerned departments, to warn the public about

ALL aspects of the health problem and not pander to the usual disgusting Thai censorship!

Or the inverse of a lack of warranted caution in that same

"poorly educated and frequently mis informed society."

There is a significant difference between blind panicking and taking reasonable precautions.

I prefer to look at if from the informed perspective of the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta.

http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1FLU/

Get your information from credible sources, not just the news papers.

and least of all the conspiracy rumor mongers....

A Pandemic Is Declared

On June 11, 2009, the World Health Organization (WHO) raised the worldwide pandemic alert level to Phase 6 in response to the ongoing global spread of the novel influenza A (H1N1) virus. A Phase 6 designation indicates that a global pandemic is underway.

More than 70 countries are now reporting cases of human infection with novel H1N1 flu. This number has been increasing over the past few weeks, but many of the cases reportedly had links to travel or were localized outbreaks without community spread. The WHO designation of a pandemic alert Phase 6 reflects the fact that there are now ongoing community level outbreaks in multiple parts of world.

WHO’s decision to raise the pandemic alert level to Phase 6 is a reflection of the spread of the virus, not the severity of illness caused by the virus. It’s uncertain at this time how serious or severe this novel H1N1 pandemic will be in terms of how many people infected will develop serious complications or die from novel H1N1 infection. iExperience with this virus so far is limited and nfluenza is unpredictable.

However, because novel H1N1 is a new virus, many people may have little or no immunity against it, and illness may be more severe and widespread as a result. In addition, currently there is no vaccine to protect against novel H1N1 virus.......

Public Guidance

CDC has provided guidance for the public on what to do if they become sick with flu-like symptoms, including infection with novel H1N1.

CDC also has issued instructions on taking care of a sick person at home and the use of facemasks and respirators to reduce novel influenza A (H1n1) transmission.

Everyone should take everyday preventive actions to stop the spread of germs, including frequent hand washing and people who are sick

should stay home and avoid contact with others in order to limit further spread of the disease........

Shared Responsibility

Individuals have an important role in protecting themselves and their families.

* Stay informed. Health officials will provide additional information as it becomes available.

* Everyone should take these everyday steps to protect your health and lessen the spread of this new virus:

o Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.

o Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.

o Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.

o Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

o If you are sick with a flu-like illness, stay home for 7 days after your symptoms begin

or until you have been symptom-free for 24 hours, whichever is longer.

This is to keep from infecting others and spreading the virus further.

o Follow public health advice regarding school closures, avoiding crowds and other social distancing measures.

Edited by animatic

"Frequently mis informed society."

unquote

referring to the media of course.

What you've all missed is that, if this strain of flu had been lethal, the world has no effective protection for the masses, it would be curtains for all of you, kiss your ass goodbye

Its only a matter of time as the scientists have said.

BTW my TG says the Mayor of Pattaya is planning to close Pattaya down for 5 days so the flu will clear up and go away and then all the tourists will come back

Good idea, thai style. :)

Well assuming the WHO knows what they are doing. The estimate is 1/3 of the population will get this flu. With deaths only at 5% that would mean millions will die.

Would you mean this kind of Non-issue?

You are not very smart in saying things like this some idiot might believe you and that makes you dangerous to someone else’s health. You really need to research this stuff before you spout off.

I dare you to say that the WHO and CDC do not know what they are talking about. The foremost doctors and viral scientist work there they are the top of the line. They only report to the media the information to keep people alive in this pandemic. The only one blowing things out of proportion is you.

I totally agree. The W.H.O. has a team of top flight epidemiologists and specialists from all over the world. Anyone in the medical field would eagerly love to have a W.H.O. designation on their C.V. or business card - so the W.H.O. get a choice of the very best in their fields. So it is rather foolish to mock them in my humble opinion. Yes if the following waves of this mutating virus kill 5% of one third of the current population you'll have a body count around the 100 million - in under 1 year!. The 1918 H1N1 pandemic killed 6% in 6-12 months as far as they know, but the world was a totally different place back then, so it is anyone's guess at how many really died in the provinces of china and india and even most of asia really...

In my opinion any fraction of those numbers is a horror story, but for those that just read the garbage the press pump out, or those that haven't really been privvy to the depth of info on all this over the past 3-4 years, the experts have almost all unanimously voiced their concern of the possibility of the H5N1 strain mutating into a humanly transmittable form. But even then it was well known that there is almost nothing of much significance that they can do about it once it does. All the fuss about SARS and H5N1 was really under this presumption. In hindsight it was also good preparation. Can any of you imagine what a mass panic it would be world wide if you have a business-as-usual approach to ignoring the reality of all this and all of a sudden you have 100's of thousands + of people dying per week?.. Prevention is far better than panic or cure. Check out some of the facts of the Spanish Flu of 1918. Hospitals unable to take patients, most government services unable to opperate, mortuaries & funeral homes with 4-6 week delays and even essentials like food and clean water unavailable in most areas, all due to the mass panic because none of the western governments wanted to scare their people with the real facts or distract them from their war efforts. A lot was learned back then. The hard way...

This is a completely different strain than the one from the Spanish pandemic of 1918, or the Hong Kong flu in

the 60's. It shares little characteristics, and to date, looks to be low grade, and causing little harm. 141 deaths

is just not enough to get worked up about. OK, it is affecting a younger population, and that is precisely what

seems to have the epidemiologists alarmed. But, so far there is no indication that there will be a massive outbreak,

and until the worldwide death toll exceeds 10,000, we should remain calm, and not allow ourselves to buy into the

hype that the media is perpetrating. There is simply no scientific proof that this will be a real pandemic. Look at

the facts, and try not to be so emotional.

Sorry, you are quite wrong about that, it is exactly the same Hemagglutinin & Neuraminidase gene combination as the 1918 flu and it is almost definitely the same or similar origins (H5N1), the point is as the WHO spokesperson mentioned last week, that they've rarely been able to identify or track a highly pathogenic flu virus like this as early, closely and accurately before. Certainly we know that the first significant records and reports (from Spain) of the 1918 flu pandemic were waves 3 & 4 or 5 & 6 depending upon who's guess you go with. We are currently in the 1st wave of this pandemic. It is well known and expected to get a SH*TLOAD worse. They just don't know how much worse. Only history tells us that when in the past it was ignored or trivialized it did not improve or lessen the host-opportunity pool of infected people, and when you have something as lethal as this almost definitely will be, you are toying with 50-100 million peoples lives and the vast majority of them being 15-45 yeas of age. Quite differently from normal H7N3 etc flu pathogens. Early reports from mexico were that this H1N1 flu was creating hypercytokinemia in the fatalities. Sure, there is a whole mixed bag of results and issues in there, but this alone identifies this as the worst possible outcome & most probably the twin or close sibling of the 1918 pandemic pathogen.

Sorry if you think all that sounds scary, but once you get properly informed with the facts you are less likely to be scared or panicked easily. There is a lot we can all do, but being well informed with the facts is the very first most important one of them IMHO. Research what most in society used to say about the dangers of driving motor cars 100 years ago - it is really shocking! But today we teach our kids to do it without a 2nd thought. Yes we got well informed eventually!

The only thing which has changed from yesterday to today is the expected increase in the number of suspected cases

(and levels of hysteria on majority tinfoil-hat populated web forums).

What hasn't changed are the base facts:

-A H1N1 fatality rate is similar to normal seasonal flu

-Hospitalisation rate is similar to normal flu and severity is similar

-Most cases report mild symptoms, along with a +98% full recovery rate

Observations: Thailand is no more or less immune from swine flu than the US, UK, Australia or the rest of the planet.

Swine flu is presently no more or less dangerous than normal flu.

I'm now off to 'brave' the pandemic in a crowded skytrain enroute to a Bangkok shopping/breeding centre (well, actually Panthip;)

If no further posts appear, 'it got me'...

Do try to remain calm, rational and make the best of your day all. :)

(for others, perhaps consider changing your sigs to: "It's not me, it's the paranoid people, they're after me"...)

I like my sig....