Winter Weather In Chiang Mai

ChouDoufu

i'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but search didn't get me where i wanted to go....

would like to know how cold it generally gets in chiang mai city in the winter.

would it be average lows of 10 degrees at night? colder? ice-skating elephants?

how often would a warm-blooded texican need sweaters, long-sleeve shirts, longjohns?

Lived in Phoenix before moving here, and to me the weather is about the same. Only wore a windbreaker a few times during the day, but you will definitely need a warmer coat at night if you're on a motorbike. I usually went with a windbreaker with a sweater underneath and was fine. I always laugh at the Thai who are running around wearing heavy quilted parkas. :)

I'm from Pennsylvania originally, I have a ranch in New Underwood South Dakota and I lived in the mountains of China for many years so I have a good feel for what cold is all about. I have been living in this tropical climate for 5 plus years now and at first I was running around in shorts and a tee shirt at home. Now we are adding an addition to our home and after last 'winter' as it were I have convinced my wife to put a fire place in and a heat pump just to burn off the cool dampness that seems to go right to my bones... I hope that gives you an idea.

i think i've got the picture.

lived in southwest texas five years, only once or twice turned on the swamp cooler.

vacations spent hiking in the desert. august before i left cycled through death valley.

i'm perfectly happy with 55 degrees celcius...if it's a dry heat.

cold is not my friend. have done surveying work in northern indiana and illinois in winter.

survived but would not like to repeat the experience.

for me, short pants and shirt sleeves down to 10 degrees. below that, arctic wear.