Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The test is very basic. Computerised test in English or Thai. Signs are a little different, but the person in charge will let you repeat sometimes on failure I was told.

The driving test consist of driving round a circuit and reversing into cones/sticks... Going over a ramp and stopping on a line...

Thats it. :o

once again, is it hard? and in which language is the test in? thai or english?
Edited by drummachine

I am staying with my girlfriend's family, how do I obtain proof of address for 1 yr licence?

Thanks, Graeme.

Proof from her local amphur officed of house ownership, signed by the person whos house it is.

Not that difficult. Obtained my 1st Thai driver's license this morning. Yesterday I went to my consulate's office (US), filled out a form swearing to my address here in Thailand. Cost 1,020 baht. That plus the medical certificate and copies (front and back) of your current driver's license, and face page of your passport, visa pages and entry card with the stamp.

Not required to take a driver's test because I had a valid California driver's license. Fee 105 baht + 100 baht for the photo that they take when they create the license. Took 2 hours (lots of people) in Chiang Mai.

I am staying with my girlfriend's family, how do I obtain proof of address for 1 yr licence?

Thanks, Graeme.

Proof from her local amphur officed of house ownership, signed by the person whos house it is.

Not that difficult. Obtained my 1st Thai driver's license this morning. Yesterday I went to my consulate's office (US), filled out a form swearing to my address here in Thailand. Cost 1,020 baht. That plus the medical certificate and copies (front and back) of your current driver's license, and face page of your passport, visa pages and entry card with the stamp.

Not required to take a driver's test because I had a valid California driver's license. Fee 105 baht + 100 baht for the photo that they take when they create the license. Took 2 hours (lots of people) in Chiang Mai.

So that's it. I have Canadian license so it should not be hard? I want to buy new truck and want insurance to be ok.

Hi All,

Passed my test in Thailand and was given 1 year licence. At the end of this period if I have a Non Imm visa and Thailand Address is that it. I do not need a licence from my home country?

Also I am in and out the country working so my stamps are short 1 to 2 months then go work again does that matter or do I have to be in Thailand a certain length of time?

Thanks All :o

Hi All,

I've just realised that my 1 year Thai driving licence expired last week! oops....

Can anyone confirm what I need to renew it and get the 5 year version please?

Also is it too late now that it has actually expired? do I need to do those stupid tests again?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

You are fine. You need it to be expired or appear on day of expiration to get the five year license. If you go before day of expiration they will only give you another one year license due to wording of the Thai law. You are only in trouble if your license expired more than a year. If longer then a year they make you start the provisional licensing process over again.

You need proof of residence. If you are working bring a work permit and copies of every page with something important on it. If you don't have a work permit then you need a Residence Affidavit from your Embassy (Bangkok offices no longer accept letter from immigration or local district offices). Bring copies of your passport info page, current visa and latest stay until date.

You don't need a picture as it is done digitally now while you wait. You will pay for the license and a fee for the digital picture. The process is fast and painless. There is no testing and no forms to fill out.

Hi All,

I've just realised that my 1 year Thai driving licence expired last week! oops....

Can anyone confirm what I need to renew it and get the 5 year version please?

Also is it too late now that it has actually expired? do I need to do those stupid tests again?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

My initial 1-Year Thailand Driver License expired on Feb 7th. I went in to renew it this morning at the Bangkok Sukhumvit Soi 99 transportation office.

I brought the following with me:

1) Expired 1-year Thai Drivers License

2) Passport

3) Copies of passport photo page, current visa page and re-entry stamp page

4) Work Permit

5) Copies of work permit pages that had anything written or updated

6) Medical Certificate from the local clinic (50 baht)

I went up to the information counter and told her that I needed my drivers license renewed. She took all my documents and handed me back the copies. She stated (rather rudely) "Each page sign!" I didn't have a pen with me so she slammed one on the counter. I signed the pages and she took a look at everything and then handed it all back with a queue number.

I sat down in the waiting area for about 15 minutes until my number was called. I presented all the documents to the nice lady at the desk. She asked for 605 Baht for the license (500 Baht/license fee, 100 Baht/Photo Fee & 5 Baht/Tax). She took my picture and then I moved to the next waiting area. About three minutes later I got my new Thai Drivers License. I did notice that it seems to be for six years not five years. It expires in 2015 (2558 Thailand Calendar).

So the entire process took around 20 minutes not counting my commute time.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the office at Chatachuk today to get my first year's Thai DL for car and motorcycle.

I took the following documents with me:

Passport info page

Visa page (Non-O Imm)

1 Year Extension

Arrival stamp and departure card

My US driver's license (valid for cars only and motorcycles)

One copy of these (they keep the originals, so they count as one copy - I copied them for the motorcycle license, if you're not applying for this, you don't need to copy them):

Letter from US Embassy confirming address

Medical Certificate

Sign all the copies before you get there.

Went to the info desk on the 2nd floor (7:45AM) where they had a look through the photocopies and gave me 2 forms and a ticket to desk 17 (the desk for 'foreigners'). You don't have to fill out the actual forms, they do it for you because the forms are for the eye and reaction tests. You just have to fill in your name at the top of the forms and the people at the information desk will mark the appropriate area.

Waited about 30 minutes to see the woman at desk 17. She went through my documents and told me I was fine (with my US license) for the car and motorcycle license (no written tests required).

She gave me 2 slips of paper and the 2 forms I received from the information desk (again related to the eye and reaction tests) and sent me up to the 3rd floor where I was sent straight in to do the color-blindness test (circular chart on the wall - you have to identify red, green, yellow and light blue circles when indicated). Passed this and was called to do a reaction test with gas and brake pedals as well as a depth-perception test where you have to line-up 2 sticks which are lit up with the numbers 1 and 2. Then over to the last desk to do a 75 degree peripheral vision test where you're required to put your face in this machine and focus your eyes forward. Without moving your eyes from the nose rest you have to call out the colors that appear on either side of your eyes.

When I finished the tests a lady at the entrance to the 3rd floor took the test forms and gave me back the two small slips of paper which were stamped (this is to prove you completed the tests successfully) and sent me back to the 2nd floor. I went back to desk 17 without a new number. Waited for the lady to finish with the two people that were already there. Picture taken (digital photos and credit card style DL, same as in most countries), 205THB paid for the car license and 155THB for the motorcycle license (360THB total). She gave me 2 licenses (1 for car and 1 for motorcycle. I couldn't get a good explanation as to why they can't put it on 1 license).

The whole process took about 1 1/2 hours (was out the door at 9:20). The people were quite friendly and polite. Maybe it helped that I spoke some Thai, but there are employees there in all sections that are able to speak English.

Now I'm set until next March and then I can get my 5 year license.

Went to the Udon PTO last Monday at 4pm. Got copies made of all the required documents at the foot of the stairs before going upstairs for the application. The place was deserted and only then I noticed they officially close at 15:30.

However, the uniformed chap was still there and after looking at my copies (UK DL, International DL, Yellow Book, passport, visa, current TMS) and getting me to sign them and accepted my 50 baht local doctors medical certificate. He conducted the reaction test and the colour blindness test and then showed me the booths where the girls took my picture and gave me my licence.

So, arrived late but smiling with all copies required and 20 minutes and 205 baht later, I was on the road with my 1-year Thai DL.

Edited by NanLaew

• 2 weeks later...

Just for info, current requirements for renewing DL (1 year > 5 year) at Bangkok office #3 (Sukhumvit). I did this today.

You will need:

Expired licence

Copies of passport pages - photo page and last stamp, I think

Proof of address - if you use WP, you need photocopies of this too

Medical certificate (I turned up without one, was told to get one and come back)

605 baht fee

No photos needed

Photocopies: get these done in the office itself, go into the office, and then through the doors at the right end; the woman working the machine knows which pages you need, 1 baht per copy.

Medical certificate, if you are doing this on the same day, get it at the following clinic: turn right from the office entrance (back towards the city) to the first footbridge (not the new Bangjak BTS ones - go past these, currently closed anyway). Cross Sukhumvit, take the stairs back down to the street on the left side, past the school entrance, second shop along. 80 baht and very fast :o

In the licensing office, no forms to fill in, take your stuff to the information desk straight ahead - left-hand queue is for new licences, right-hand queue is for renewals. Staff will check you have all the right docs and issue a queue number. I arrived at midday, 100 people in the queue ahead of me, took about 90 minutes. If you are hungry there are food shops back out of the office, far corner to the left.

All staff very friendly.

Final useless bit of info, motorcycle taxi between the Sukhumvit entrance and the office: 10 baht. It rained very hard today and the road flooded, naturally.

Edited by scifi

Hi,

Im going for the Thai DL today. , im doing the immigration papers today and Trafic Office tomorrow. . . " PATTAYA "

I have a Swedish DL for car and an IDP , the IDP is 4yrs old :/

Im on a Tourist Visa ., but have Green and Blue book in my name allready.

I think i will get the TDL for car no problem but i will do the test for TDL for motorcycle. . . hopefully not.

I will come back on the reports of this event soon !

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 1 year licence yesterday from the Jatujak offices.

Had all the usual documentation but my UK kicence was a 32 year old bit of paper with no photo and suprisingly they accepted that so no need to take the written test or driving test :o

Actually if anyone has some up to date information on the 'certificate of residence' thats much needed?

or are UK citizens now forking out 2200 baht to our govmnt embassies just for a 12 month certificate which by the way, we will need to pay again next year to renew it...

Thats just ridiculous...

please tell me its not true!

Just got my 5-year at Chatujak/MoChit office in around 30-min.

Don't be scared by the long cues of people getting their licenses... there's a special short cue for foreigners. The middle-aged lady in charge of the foreigners also was very pleasant and funny. She seemed to like her job dealing with the foreigners in fact. :)

I have moved from Bangkok to Changwat Khampaeng Phet and my 5 year license was issued from Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok.

How do I get my address changed to upcountry?

Also how would I get the car registered up here as well because it has to be checked in BKK every year for the tax etc.?

hi ya, i believe you have to go to your local ( umpah) like registration office, for cars land etc, :) i think you can change address there too, hope i am helpfull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For anyone that is interested this my experience of obtaining a Temporary 1 year (ie: your first) Thai driving licence at the Dept of Land Transport near On 

Nut/Phra Khanong, opposite soi 62/1 today.

This might be of help to anyone who currently holds a UK passport, valid UK driving licence, Thai work permit, is living in area 3 Dept of LT catchment area 

and is seeking to gain a Thai driving licence.

I was applying for both a car and motorcycle licence so I had to have 2 copies of the relevant documents listed below, I dare say if you only want either a 

car or m/c licence then you will only need one set of copies. 

I arrived at the offices around 8:15 in the morning (get there early as from a previous experience I learned it is bedlam if you get there later) and 

strolled up to window number 8 with:

Passport - original + 2 copies of the back page and the pages with your visa and entry stamp, each one signed in blue ink

Work Permit - original + 2 copies of every page with anything written or stamped on it, each one signed in blue ink

Doctors certificate of fitness to drive - original + 2 copies, each one signed in blue ink (this shouldn't cost more than about 50 thb from your local 

clinic)

UK driving licence paper version - original + 2 copies each of front and back, each one signed in blue ink

UK driving licence plastic ID card version - original + 2 copies each of front and back, each one signed in blue ink

I had a letter of Residency from the Embassy but it was not needed.

By the way, if you do forget to copy anything then there is a copy desk at the office that charges 1 baht per copy. Its inside on the right side of the 

building as you head out towards the toilets. Or, go in through the main doors and just turn right, you can't miss it.

At the counter they will give you a form (or in my case 2 as I was applying for 2 licences) you will write your full name in English at the top and fill in 

the Thai date in the top right hand corner.

Hand the form back and then they will check everything umpteen times before handing you back some paperwork and a plastic card with a number on it. You will 

be told to return at a particular time (in my case 11am) to sit at a particular window (in my case number 9), but be early rather than late because if you 

miss your call you you will have some backtracking to do ! 

(If it's going to be quite some wait then you could go out of the building, lurn left and head into the far corner to eat some prettty good food and then 

watch the people actually doing their m/c test. It'll give you an understanding of why Thais have such fantastic road sense).

Once you are seated with your plastic number card you just have to listen to which numbers are getting called up to the desk. Whilst seated have a look at 

the tv screen on the wall as it will give yo uan idea as to what is coming next, it's helpful. They call people up in blocks, for example: "numbers 81 to 90 

please come to the desk now", you then pile up to the desk, hand in your paperwork, sign another piece of paper and you are told where to go next. This will 

be one of the doors behind you (mine was number 16, and I think they are numbered 14-16, not sure).

Anyway, head to the door and queue up, this is where you will do the tests to get your licence along with the other half of Bangkok. Like everything here, 

it's not a private affair. 

Once through the door the first test is the colour recognition test.

From about 20 feet away you look at a pattern of different sized red, yellow and green circles, a person points to a circle and you have to answer what 

colour it is they are pointing to, you can answer in English or Thai.

Get your paperwork signed, move along and queue up for your Reaction test.

You sit on a stool with an accelerator and brake pedal unit in front of you and 20 feet in front of that, a large grey box. When you press the accelerator a 

green light on the grey box lights up and after a period of time a red light flashes up and you have to hit the brake pedal within a specified period of time 

to pass the test. You would have to be asleep to fail this test.

Get your paperwork signed and queue up for your Peripheral vision test.

Take a seat and stick your head into something akin to the machine the optiction tests your eyes with. A series of lights (red, green or yellow) will be lit 

in your peripheral vision while you stare ahead and you call out what colour has just been lit up. Again you can answer in English or Thai and it's not 

exactly hard unless you happen to be blind.

Paperwork signage follows as does the queue to the final test which is the depth of field test.

Here you take a seat and gaze into a box at 2 lit up sticks whilst you hold a remote control that moves one of the sticks either backwards or forwards. The 

tester will move one stick further away from you and using the remote control you move it back to a position adjacent to the stationary stick. This process 

is repeated by the tester then moving to mobile stick closer to you and you then repeat the process.

Once you pass this test (and they seem to give you a bit of leeway) your paperwork is signed and you are told to go back out side to a particular counter (in 

my case number 8) where your paperwork is examined and you sign at the bottom.

Then you are given a paper ticket with a number on it and directed to a waiting area to, erm...wait.

This area has an led screen and a pa system, so you just wait until you either hear your number called and what cubicle you must go to, or you keep an eye on 

the screen and once you numbers up it will show you what cubicle to visit.

In the cubicle you are shown a draft of your new licence and asked to confirm that your name is correct.

You are asked for payment. My 2 licences cost 360thb and I was issued with receipts totalling 250thb (two for 100thb each and one for 50thb) so work that 

out.

Either way you sit where you are and have your photo taken and within 5 mins you have your shiny new 1 year temporary licence in your hands.

The whole process took me about 5 hours.

I know this experience is specific to me but perhaps it may help others so thats why I bothered to take the time to write it.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone else that has written other stuff in the various forums that has helped me in the past.

Be lucky. 

Hi all,

I am aware that the following are needed for renewal of a thai driving license:

1. Passport(and 1 signed copy of photo page)

2. The departure card ("TM card" stapled in your passport)

3. The last arrival stamp ("Admitted Until" stamp)

3. Valid visa page

4. Two photos

5. Your old Thai driving license

6. Affidavit from embassy

7. Medical certificate

My question is:

Can a person holding a tourist visa (a 30 day visa) renew his Thai driving license?

I am holding a Thai driving license which was obtained in Sep 08 and will expire in Sept 09. I took all the tests; the theory and practical.

As I no longer work/study in the kingdom anymore, therefore I do not have a Non-Immigrant visa.

I saw posts from some forums that renewal of the Thai driving license can be done without a Non-immigrant visa and can be done with a tourist visa. The only drawback though, would be that they would only renew it for 1 year only.

Would be very grateful if I could get more views and useful info on this from this forum.

Thanks!

If you never had a drivers license before (but are on a non-imm O visa), you would first need to pass the test at the driving school, right? Written and driving...

Yes to the question above. In fact, you can apply for the Thai driving license if u hold Non-Immigrant visa of any type. However, if u had never possess a driving license before, you must take and pass both the theory test and the practical driving test in order to obtain the Thai driving license. I went thru the process as I did not hold any driving license before.

But no worries, the theory and driving tests are really easy. Just make sure you talk to people who has already taken them before and get enough practise in someone's car before you turn up for the test at the driving test centre.

Hello,

Do you know if any Bangkok office will give you a Thai driver license with a tourist visa and a certificate of residence provided by embassy ?

It seems possible in Pattaya but what about Bangkok ?

I can't get the Certificate of residence at immigration in Bkk because of my tourist visa, but maybe it would be ok to apply for the license with the certificate of residence provided by French embassy ?

Or is the only solution to go to Pattaya / Jomtien ?

Thanks a lot ! And sorry if you have to repeat, but 12 pages to read..

(I also have French and International driving license, if it could make things easier, as i understood i don't need to pass the test?)

Thank you very much totster, Excellent link, Makes it so much easier for me, Cheers!

I got my car licence issued on the strength of my UK licence but had to sit a test for my motorbike licence as

my UK licence (card type) didnt show it valid for bikes.

Hi all,

My VISA is a category 'O' non-immigrant visa, meaning I must leave the country every 90 days and re-enter.

Am I still entitled to getting a local Thai license?

Thankyou

Michael

What you need is:

A recent report (April 2009) says that documents required for first application are:

Original passport + 2 copies of visa page and main page;

Medical report (any doctor can supply)

Address confirmation from immigration + 1 copy;

Current International Driving Permit

Updated 5th May 2009