Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

So none of this 30 questions rubbish then ?

No questions :o as long as you have your International Driving Permit/License

begsaresponse

I dont have an International licence and its difficult to get one from the UK as my address is no longer valid.

There is a company advertising on this page selling International Driver Document (international-license.com) is this the same as a International Licence??

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had the same procedure last week at the Prakanon branch, the paralell stick thing was not as easy as it seemed, I failed it first time round to and had to do it again. I just hope that at the five year license stage I don't have to go through it again?
I had to do the parallel stick thing for my five year license, and it wasn't easy (since I don't have depth perception at that range), and I passed. You just never know what they'll require each time, at each office.

So none of this 30 questions rubbish then ?

No questions :o as long as you have your International Driving Permit/License

begsaresponse

I dont have an International licence and its difficult to get one from the UK as my address is no longer valid.

There is a company advertising on this page selling International Driver Document (international-license.com) is this the same as a International Licence??

Nor did I but my UK license sufficed (but that was last year).

You must be careful with regards an International Permit from the Uk or License from elsewhere!

You can in fact get an International Driving permit from the AA in the UK. It does not matter that you nolonger live at that address.

Go on AA web site print of their application form fill it in enclose cheque and other documets they require from you. Then post it to them. Your intenational permit will arive within 2 week.

Generally speaking an International Permit/License should not be like a credit card. It must be in the style of a small book..each page in different language..on the last page will be your photograph.

begsaresponse

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly off topic but I want my Thai wife to obtain both her driving licence's (motorcycle and car), what documentation will she have to produce?.

Also she is not from the province where we reside, she does have her copy of the house book page with her name.

Obviously she will have to pass all the tests. I have bought her a copy of the Thai highway code and I am trying to teach her to drive our pickup on a local disused airport. Lots of fun! I just hopes she progresses with the clutch/changing gear routine, otherwise its off to buy an automatic!

Today I applied for my first year driving licence. Journeyed to behind the Regent school off highway 36.

I had taken copies of:

-my passport,front page,visa page,arrival card page and date of arrival.

-my international driving permit..every page

-my domestic driving license for the UK both sides and the counterpart page

I had taken a report from my doctor and a letter from Immigration.

I arrived at 10.45 a.m.

Lady behind counter filled in my application form for me as it is all in Thai. I signed both the papers. Gave her all the copies. I was told that my name would be called to test my eyes. And a few minutes later it was. No problem so far.

Then I had to do the emergency stop test with the pedals on the floor. And also how you perceive distance test... can't explain this really ..two upright sticks in a box one is fixed inside the other can move about..it is up to you to line the sticks up from about 10 feet away. First time round I wasn't anywhere near. Next time ok and then I had to do it again!

Was told to sit and wait. They then called my name and gave me my licence. Went outside and had it laminated.

Got in the car 11.45 a.m.

Pretty ###### good I would say.

Go prepared with all your stuff ....NO problems.

begsaresponse :o

Similar experience for me this week in Samui.......prepared all documents and copies. Letter from immigration no problem here. Just had to do the colour eye test, depth perception and stop test. Accepted UK license (paper fold one), no need for IDP. In and out in less than one hour. :D

After living in LOS for 7 years I finally decided to get a Thai DL. First to the clinic where the doc asked me one question - any problems? - before giving me the medical cert. Then to the cop station to get a letter saying yes I really live at that address, then to immigration with that, 2 fotos, and copies of all relevant passport pages to get the residency cert. Then off to the vehicle dept. in Mae Hong Son where they said "sorry, you have to come by 9am to sign up, take a class, the written test, the vision and reflex tests, then after lunch the driving test. Oh, you have a current Calif DL and Int DL? Well we don't give a shit - you have to do it all like everyone else!

Probably will never get a Thai DL...

After living in LOS for 7 years I finally decided to get a Thai DL. First to the clinic where the doc asked me one question - any problems? - before giving me the medical cert. Then to the cop station to get a letter saying yes I really live at that address, then to immigration with that, 2 fotos, and copies of all relevant passport pages to get the residency cert. Then off to the vehicle dept. in Mae Hong Son where they said "sorry, you have to come by 9am to sign up, take a class, the written test, the vision and reflex tests, then after lunch the driving test. Oh, you have a current Calif DL and Int DL? Well we don't give a shit - you have to do it all like everyone else!

:o:D

Time to try a different office I suspect. I THINK the Mor Chit office in BKK can issue for all regions, perhaps someone can confirm.

That said, the tests are apparently a total joke so if you can spare the day I'd go for it :D

:o:D

Time to try a different office I suspect. I THINK the Mor Chit office in BKK can issue for all regions, perhaps someone can confirm.

That said, the tests are apparently a total joke so if you can spare the day I'd go for it :D

I can testify to that, my wife has just got her license, but still can't drive!

I went to the Immigration office in BKK today off Sathorn.

Went upstairs to the "address verification office"(or whatever its called, room 206).

Filled out the form. Checked the box for DRIVERS LIC.

The woman taking the form was curious if I wanted it for car and/or motorcycle and then wrote that in on the form (why immigration would want to know or care?).

Then said they would mail me a letter and that letter's safe arrival is my proof of address. And it could take up to one month!!!

The real kicker is...she asked for 50 baht fee for the postage. I pulled out two 20-baht notes and started fishing for the 10 baht coin, and then she said "oh thats good enough".

me: ok so do I get a receipt? (she goes pale) "receipt?" (ive never given any money to a govt office for anything and not gotten a receipt).

she: well we dont have receipts (oh really?) but we have written it in this ledger see? and if you dont get the letter, just come back and reference todays date and this entry number in the ledger.

"uh huh." Im guessing that 50-baht (discounted to 40) was actually someones lunch money....

Having just obtained my 5-year license, a work permit (and copy of same) takes the place of the Immigration verification of address form at the Chatujak driving license office.

Could you tell me if you provided a medical certificate with your 5 year renewal and was your old license already expired?

Thanks

Having just obtained my 5-year license, a work permit (and copy of same) takes the place of the Immigration verification of address form at the Chatujak driving license office.

Could you tell me if you provided a medical certificate with your 5 year renewal and was your old license already expired?

Thanks

Yes, a medical certificate was required and my license had expired three days previously.

It all went very smoothly, but be sure to take your original passport and work permit and copes of the photo page of the passport including the visa stamp and present extension. The work permit copies have to include the photo page and every page where an entry has been made. Also, take your present license and a copy.

You can get your international license the same day if you bring another set of copies. I don't believe the medical certificate is required for that one. The international license is only good for one year.

Good luck!

My one year license expired on Thursday of last week. On Monday I went to the main Land Transport Office near Mochit to try to renew it. I showed them my old license, a health certificate, my passport and workpermit. They asked for 605 baht & then gave me a 5 year license! :o It's plastic, just like my California license, and shows the province, but no street address.

Just to check what i need/have to get the 1 year for car and bike.

Non-B

Work Permit

Doctors certificate

Photos

Photocopies

EU drivers licence(FIN) with car/trucks/semis/busses, but no motorbike

Above is what i have, will the EU licence get me out of the written/driving tests for car, or should i strap my wave in my pickup and drive there?

Those papers should be enough? Two sets of photocopies, photos and docs papers, right?

Thanks.

Thanks alot for all the information Guys! This forum really becomes addictive while living here.

I have a Thai drivers licence(still on my first year).

I'm going back to Sweden for Xmas and I don't have a swedish DL.

Could I use my thai DL in Sweden? It's just for a month, but getting pulled over back home can be really expensive!

Beeing a Swedish national would they require me to have a Swedish DL?

I do have a workpermit here and been living in Thailand for the past 5 years.

Could I get a International DL with just my Thai licence here in Phuket? If so, how much?

Thank you so much for your help.

What is the method of renewing a 5 year license, do you have to wait till it expires and what paperwork is required. I will be doing it in Bangkok and am on a retirement extension?

What is the method of renewing a 5 year license, do you have to wait till it expires and what paperwork is required. I will be doing it in Bangkok and am on a retirement extension?

Chiang Mai license office advised me to apply 60 days prior to expiry date of the 5 year license, for renewal.

Havent had to yet - so cant tell you of the paperwork requirement.

On the advice of various posters I went to Immigration (room 206) in BKK for a confirmation of residence letter as it was mentioned the 'fee' was 50 baht for postage instead of 2,400 from the British Embassy.

The officious lady official said Immigration do not supply letters for this purpose unless one has a stamp for extension of Imm-O visa. I only have Imm-O without extension so was refused.

Anyway I had to get the letter from the Brit Consulate after all at the exhorbitant rate of 2588 baht (inc postage) and the consul said Immigration are not allowed to supply proof of residence letters?

However when I was in Mae Sot for my 90 day trip in September the Immigration there said had my wife had her Tabien Baan with us he would have supplied a letter so it seems, as has been said before, catch the right person at the right time...

• 2 weeks later...
On the advice of various posters I went to Immigration (room 206) in BKK for a confirmation of residence letter as it was mentioned the 'fee' was 50 baht for postage instead of 2,400 from the British Embassy.

The officious lady official said Immigration do not supply letters for this purpose unless one has a stamp for extension of Imm-O visa. I only have Imm-O without extension so was refused.

Anyway I had to get the letter from the Brit Consulate after all at the exhorbitant rate of 2588 baht (inc postage) and the consul said Immigration are not allowed to supply proof of residence letters?

However when I was in Mae Sot for my 90 day trip in September the Immigration there said had my wife had her Tabien Baan with us he would have supplied a letter so it seems, as has been said before, catch the right person at the right time...

I have all the documents apart from the residence letter.

Is getting it from the local Amphur the best and cheapest way to do it or am i forced to get an expensive one from the UK embassy?

I also heard that immigration wants you to state that you have been in the country for at least 3 years.

As i'm holding an IDL do i still need to take any test?

• 2 weeks later...

I just went with a fellow American yesterday to get our drivers licenses in Pattaya. This was his second year, and both years (2006 and 2007) he got the residence verification letter while in Thailand on a 30-day visa-waiver stamp at the Jomtien Immigrations office. Now, if a 30-day visa-waiver stamp is acceptable, why on earth wouldn't a Non-Immigrant O visa without an extension? Maybe it varies from office to office and/or officer to officer? <shrug>

I have all the documents apart from the residence letter.

Is getting it from the local Amphur the best and cheapest way to do it or am i forced to get an expensive one from the UK embassy?

I also heard that immigration wants you to state that you have been in the country for at least 3 years.

As i'm holding an IDL do i still need to take any test?

I can vouch from my experience yesterday that if you have (a) a valid overseas drivers licence and (b ) a valid International Driving Permit, you do NOT need to take any tests: I have a current US (State of Hawaii) drivers licence (for car only) and a current International Driving permit. I got the Thai car driver license simply by filling out the application, submitting the required documents, and paying B105.

However, I also wanted a motorcycle license. Since I had no motorcycle license from Hawaii, I had to take the written (actually computer) test and the driving test.

Now, to make this a bit confusing: Last year, the above-mentioned American friend not only got his Thai car license, he also got the motorcycle license WITHOUT TAKING ANY TESTS, even though his U.S. (Nevada) license was for car only. Because of that, we were both anticipating no tests, and were quite unprepared for them. I passed with 24/30 correct (the minimum passing score) and he had to do a retake on the computer test. My re-take was on the driving test -- there is a short 10cm wide, maybe 2cm-high "ramp" that you need to drive on top of. I didn't see it -- either of the first two times: I had to take the driving test THREE TIMES! (In my "defense," the ramp was in the right-hand lane, and I was extremely focused on the left-hand lane. :o )

And, a word of thanks to whomever it was that posted a sample question from the written test on one of the threads I read the other day. The sample question was about which of the following vehicles can not be driven on public roads, and the correct answer was a car without a windshield/windscreen. I had that question THREE TIMES on my computer test of 30 questions.

As I found after asking loads of officials - police, immigration and amphurs are not allowed to issue confirmation of residence letters. Only the consuls.

Bye the way when I got my car license renewal I was told it was only for one year and when I questioned it she agreed it should be more and gave me SIX years not the 5 I was expecting!

As I found after asking loads of officials - police, immigration and amphurs are not allowed to issue confirmation of residence letters. Only the consuls.

Perhaps I'm not clear on the lingo -- maybe what I got from the Thai Immigrations office in Pattaya is not a "confirmation of residence letter?" Whatever it was, it was acceptable to the drivers license bureay near Pattaya to obtain two drivers licenses.

Is this what is called a "confirmation of residence letter?"

post-33251-1196416848_thumb.jpg

Perhaps I'm not clear on the lingo -- maybe what I got from the Thai Immigrations office in Pattaya is not a "confirmation of residence letter?" Whatever it was, it was acceptable to the drivers license bureay near Pattaya to obtain two drivers licenses.

Is this what is called a "confirmation of residence letter?"

I've no idea I don't read Thai but if it worked well done. I'm just going by my own experience in the embassy, immigration in Bangkok, police station and local amphurs.

Am I right in assuming that if I have a foreign driver's license I can just go and get a Thai one made without a driver's test?

I can get an American driver's license but am under 18 for the next 1.5 years. Can I get a Thai driver's license if I get my American one?

If I can't get a Thai driver's license, will any insurance company cover me on the basis that I have an American license but am under 18?

Bye the way when I got my car license renewal I was told it was only for one year and when I questioned it she agreed it should be more and gave me SIX years not the 5 I was expecting!

I believe if you check the date of expiry of the licence, you may find that it's 5 years from the date of issue PLUS the period to your next birthday, e.g. if your birthday is on 8th January and you apply for your 5 year licence on 10th January, you will likely obtain a licence for 5 years and 363/4 days.

I believe if you check the date of expiry of the licence, you may find that it's 5 years from the date of issue PLUS the period to your next birthday, e.g. if your birthday is on 8th January and you apply for your 5 year licence on 10th January, you will likely obtain a licence for 5 years and 363/4 days.

You are quite right. I understand now.

• 5 weeks later...
I plan to go to the office just a few 100 metres from Mo Chit BTS next week to get my first Thai driving licence. Can some on confirm that they do the photos in - house and that I dont need a medical certificate.

Thank you

Yes they do the photos and all you need is a 100 Baht medical from any Thai clinic.