Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

When applying for the Thai license for the first time, must the drivers license from my home country be valid? It has exprired in the past few months.

Thanks,

When i applied for my 1 year license i produced an old (valid) UK license and the counter staff could not make head nor tail of it let alone whether it was valid or not. They basically checked my name and DOB against the passport and then accepted it. Maybe it's worth a try.

Cheers, Rick

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you are renewing the expired 1 year for the 5 year license do you need to take the color blindness, depth perception and reaction tests again? Or do you only take those for the first license? My 1 year license expired today so I need to wait until next week due to the Holiday tomorrow and Friday. Also my address is different now. Does that create any problems?

Today I applied for a 5 year car and motorcyle license from the On Nut area office Bangkok. It seems that a few things have changed from the previous requirements. The licenses are now in smart card format so you don't need to take any photo's as they take them during the application process.

Your one year license must have expired.

The following documents are required:

1. Passport including your non immigrant visa.

2. A cerificate of residence ( I got a letter from the UK Embassy) My rental agreement was not acceptable.

3. A medical certificate is now definitely required. ( I did not need this for my 1 year license?)

If you are applying for car and motorcycle licences they require a copy of the above for each license.

The two licenses cost me 960 Baht.

Cheers, Rick

When you are renewing the expired 1 year for the 5 year license do you need to take the color blindness, depth perception and reaction tests again? Or do you only take those for the first license? My 1 year license expired today so I need to wait until next week due to the Holiday tomorrow and Friday. Also my address is different now. Does that create any problems?
Today I applied for a 5 year car and motorcyle license from the On Nut area office Bangkok. It seems that a few things have changed from the previous requirements. The licenses are now in smart card format so you don't need to take any photo's as they take them during the application process.

2. A cerificate of residence ( I got a letter from the UK Embassy) My rental agreement was not acceptable.A 200b letter from the local Immigration office is acceptable showing current(NEW) Address

3. A medical certificate is now definitely required. ( I did not need this for my 1 year license?)Correct, but I needed one first time??

If you are applying for car and motorcycle licences they require a copy of the above for each license.

Cheers, Rick

Good & correct info from Rick

Dave

2. A cerificate of residence ( I got a letter from the UK Embassy) My rental agreement was not acceptable.A 200b letter from the local Immigration office is acceptable showing current(NEW) Address

3. A medical certificate is now definitely required. ( I did not need this for my 1 year license?)Correct, but I needed one first time??

Cheers, Rick

Dave

Rick's info does not answer the questions I asked. It doesn't say whether or not you have to take the color blindness, depth perception or reaction time tests again.

• 2 weeks later...
May be somebody has already ask it, but this forum is so big.

I have 5 years Thai DL (my eu DV is expired) and I would get a valid International DL.

How can I get?

Is it really valid outside Thailand (eg. Australia, New Zealand, Europe)??

Thak you for your informations.

I got my 5-year Thai Driver's Licence today (in Chiang Mai) and picked up a leaflet on what's required to get the "Thai International Driver's License":

"1. Thai Driver's License (2 copies + original) (copy front and back)

2. Passport and Non-Immigrant Visa (2 copies + original) and extensions + last entry

3. Residence Certificate from Immigration Office or Consulate (1 copy + original)

4. Two photos (size 4cm x 6cm) not glossy (normal size)

5. Yellow envelope 2.50 baht (1 piece)

6. Stamp 30 baht

7. Postal Order 505 baht

(items 5-7 you can buy at the Post Office)

* If you want an international driver's license from Chiang Mai provincial land trnsport office, be prepared to wait at least 30 days

* If you want an international driver's license from Department of Land Transport in Bangkok (Motor Vehicles Registration Office), it will be issued the same day and items 5-7 will not be required.

* If you have International Driver's License and you want to renew it, you must apply 30 days before the license expires."

I saw an example of the Thai International Driver's License at the Chiang Mai office - looked just like the UK version which I had before...... i.e. a small booklet with grey paper covers. From what I know, it is just as valid - i.e. you can use it anywhere that would be covered by an IDP issued in your own country.

The instructions don't mention it, but it's standard procedure in Thailand that all submitted documents (original or copies) should carry your signature. In the case of signing copies of your passport pages, it's wise to include a note that the copy is only for the stated purpose - otherwise someone could take it and use it as your authorisation for something completely different.

Edited by Steve2UK

Cheers, Rick

Dave

Rick's info does not answer the questions I asked. It doesn't say whether or not you have to take the color blindness, depth perception or reaction time tests again.

Based on my experience today at the Chiang Mai office - definitely no tests if you are just renewing/extending your licence from 1-year to 5-year. Just present the right paperwork and payment, get your photo taken as part of the deal and that's it.

I'm new to this forum and this thread was where I came to find out about applying for a Thai licence. Is it possible that the first post could be updated to reflect the fact that photos are no longer required as Bangkok provide you with Photo-ID licences. When I went, they took my photo and the charge was, I believe, 220baht for the card. If the first thread was changed, it would save people having to trawl through 15 pages to find the current rules.

Can you apply and obtain a 1 year Thai license in Issan? I have a valid U.S. (state) license, Non B, and WP. I opened another post, but have only had a couple of replies, so I figured that leaving a message here wouldn't hurt. Thanks! :o

I just went to the Chatujak centre to apply for a 1-year licence. I didn't get further than the document-checking counter because apparently if you have permanent residence you need to have a valid re-entry visa and endorsement, and mine had just expired. I pointed out that if a PR holder never leaves Thailand he never needs a re-entry visa. The only document he has to renew is the Alien's Book, every 5 years. But they don't care about that. If you want a driver's licence you need a valid endorsement of the Residence Certificate, a valid re-entry visa in your passport, and a valid Alien's Book.

Cheers, Rick

Dave

Hi Jackbox. This may be too late, but i did not have to do the eyesight testa again.

Cheers, Rick

For your 5 yr licence I can confirm you will need an up to date medical cert and address confirmation.

I renewed my licence at the Mo Chit office. I got my med. cert at a clinic a few min. walk down the road. bt100.

But they knocked me back on the address letter. I thought last years date would do.

So that was 2 trips to the Brit Embassy. [You collect your letter the following day] bt2200..... :o

No further tests are required.

For your 5 yr licence I can confirm you will need an up to date medical cert and address confirmation.

I renewed my licence at the Mo Chit office. I got my med. cert at a clinic a few min. walk down the road. bt100.

But they knocked me back on the address letter. I thought last years date would do.

So that was 2 trips to the Brit Embassy. [You collect your letter the following day] bt2200..... :o

Last year got my letter on the same day, went before 12 and then came back after 2 to get it, as I will have to go through the process again in less than a month I hope that will be able to do the same again. What is the name of the clinic sounds pretty handy, though I can't say that I have noticed it, is it towards Mor Chit or in the opposite direction?

Last year got my letter on the same day, went before 12 and then came back after 2 to get it, as I will have to go through the process again in less than a month I hope that will be able to do the same again. What is the name of the clinic sounds pretty handy, though I can't say that I have noticed it, is it towards Mor Chit or in the opposite direction?

Sorry I'm unable to forward the name of the clinic, but my wife says the address no. is 926/1.

As you will know, the Mochit/Chatuchak Transport Dept. offices cover a large area. I suggest you arrive early afternoon.

The place is often choked with taxis having their yearly test during mornings.

Leave your vehicle in the car park and head for the exit/entrance gates, then turn left, away from Mochit skytrain station.

Its about a 5 min. walk to the clinic, on the same side. Its quite small so easy to miss.

No one else was was attending when I arrived so was in and out within a few min.

When you go to the embassy, be prepared to hand over your mobile before entering their property.

You will receive a number tag.

I finally got my one-year licence (car only). The only things they tested me on were colour blindness and wide-vision. Even though I'm colour blind to the usual red and green, I could pass the test easily. But I had problems with the wide-vision test, where you look straight ahead and have to identify coloured lights flashing to the left or right. I suspect they passed me because they felt sorry for me. :o

Something nobody had told me was if you have PR they need to see your tabien baan, because the 13-digit number on it is the one they put on the licence. They were flexible, though, and used my passport number. It'll be changed when I go for the 5-year licence.

No need for any photos because they take them there and incorporate them into a plastic smart card.

Hello all

I've read through this whole thread and have to admit to still being fairly mystified about certain issues, so if anyone has any up to date info on the following questions, I'd be much obliged:

I want to apply for both a car and a bike licence at either On Nut or Lat Phrao (wherever's currently easiest/more relaxed). First time application, so 1 year.

Is a IDP still needed? I have a full current UK licence.

Can I get a residence certificate from Suan Plu (never done a 90 day report since I've always re-entered) or am I going to have to suck it up at the British Embassy?

Are there any further requirements for a non-ED (letter from school etc)?

Can I apply at Lat Prao if my address is in Klong Toey?

My UK licence doesn't cover bikes. Will I have to do a test? If so, what exactly is involved? I'm not so much worried about practical as written/theory type stuff. Could anyone point me to a good thread?

Thanks

mk

Answer to all your questions.

The regulations state that you must hold a Non-Immigrant Visa valid for at least 3 months. This is not your stay until date but Visa expire date. If you are on a year extension then it is the stay until date. I have heard of some people getting licenses with a tourist visa but in reality that should not happen.

You do not need an IDP if you have a valid license that the DOLT can read and understand. I got my initial 1 year licenses with an Oregon State Driver's License from the U.S.A. I did not have an IDP.

In my experiences lately they have been very strict on which office you go to (except for registration renewal payments). If you live in Klong Toey then you are in the area for Bangkok Office 3 which is located off of Sukhomvit between Soi 99 and 101. If you go to Chatuchak there is a good chance they will turn you away and tell you to go to office 3.

I have been told at both the Chatuchak office and the Nong Chok office that address verification from Immigration is not acceptable. The only document they will accept is a letter from your Embassy or a work permit. I know that in Chonburi the office there does accept letters from Pattaya Immigration so this is a case by case basis per District offices. Also Suan Phlu takes about a week to issue a residency letter and the Embassy letters are immediate for USA and one day for U.K. I am not sure what the other Embassies do.

You will also need a medical certificate from a doctor stating that you are physically able to operate a motor vehicle. You can get one at any hospital for around 200 to 400 baht. The cheapest route is a local Thai clinic. I got my last medical certificate from a local clinic and it only cost 50 baht. I have heard of some clinics in outlying areas being as low as 20 baht.

If your U.K. license is not endorsed for a motorcycle then you must go through the entire licensing procedure (as a Thai person would) to get the moto license. This menas that you take a written exam first in English. Before you take the written or driving test you need to pass three tests which are a color blindness test (tell the examiner what color on a mixed up chart they are pointing to - can only be red, green or yellow), a reaction test by pressing a gas pedal and then pressing the brake in a certain amount of time (you get plenty) when the light turns red, and a depth perception test by moving a needle to line up next to another needle about 5 meters away from you. After passing these tests and the written test you will be allowed to take the driving test. I am not sure what they do in Bangkok as my 1 year license was issued in Chonburi. In Chonburi I drove around a course where I had to stop at a stop sign, zig zag through cones, drive a bumpy section of road (wood planks across lane) and then drive the moto on a raised concrete surface for about 10 meters. I believe the concrete was about 4 inches wide but I am not certiain. If you fall off the concrete or put your feet down you fail. If you go through the course stopping where you are supposed to and don't fall off the concrete you pass the driving exam.

If you are going to get both licenses at the same time you need to bring two copies of everything. If you apply at the same time they will accept the original and copy of the required documents. So copy your embassy letter and medical certificate. You need to sign the bottom of any copies you make. You also must bring two copies of your passport info page, page with visa, page with current entry stamp and departure card.

The written exam covers some theory and mostly signs. They used to publish the driver's book in English but I have not been able to find a copy of it anywhere in the last two years. Here is a link to some pages from it a while back. This does help you with the test. Before my test the lady gave me a chart with signs and told me to study it. As you would expect if you have any experience driving in Thailand no questions on my written test covered running red lights (which I have come to accept that stopping is at the option of the driver) and speeding.

Link to handbook pages. http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/law/handbook/index.html

Once you start driving around Bangkok, police will stop you for stupid crap like driving in anything other than the far left lane on major roads like Bang Na-Trat, not wearing a helmet and not having headlights on during the day on a motorcycle. Going the wrong way in traffic (as long as you stay in the far left lane for the correct traffic flow) and running red lights seems to be acceptable (I have had police motion for me to go through red lights). When you drive around you will see lots of wolf packs of police (especially in the early afternoons) stopping cars, motos, trucks and espeically taxis. Make sure you are in the far left lane, etc. and try to drive through. Often when stopped you can just show your driver's license and current registration tag and be on your way. If the cop is going to write you a ticket act Thai. If you are appropriately apologetic and act like a Thai a "spot fine" of 100 to 200 baht will usually do the trick. If they do write you a ticket they will confiscate your driver's license until you go pay the ticket at the office for that police district so paying the "spot fine" is preferable if you value your time. Just say something like I am sorry can I just pay a fine now. Offer 100 baht if the cop asks how much. They will often take it. The most i have paid when I did do something wrong was 200 baht. 100 usually does the trick. Some farangs will pay more but I guess they didn't act Thai enough.

Hello all

I've read through this whole thread and have to admit to still being fairly mystified about certain issues, so if anyone has any up to date info on the following questions, I'd be much obliged:

I want to apply for both a car and a bike licence at either On Nut or Lat Phrao (wherever's currently easiest/more relaxed). First time application, so 1 year.

Is a IDP still needed? I have a full current UK licence.

Can I get a residence certificate from Suan Plu (never done a 90 day report since I've always re-entered) or am I going to have to suck it up at the British Embassy?

Are there any further requirements for a non-ED (letter from school etc)?

Can I apply at Lat Prao if my address is in Klong Toey?

My UK licence doesn't cover bikes. Will I have to do a test? If so, what exactly is involved? I'm not so much worried about practical as written/theory type stuff. Could anyone point me to a good thread?

Thanks

mk

Jackbox

What a great reply. Thank you kindly for taking the time to provide such clear and comprehensive answers. I take it then there is no additional requirement for the Non-ED? I only ask this since I'm convinced I read a post somewhere, at some point, from someone claiming they had to produce an additional letter from their school confirming they were attending regularly or something to this effect. A couple of things I forgot to ask... Is there any provision at the Sukhumvit office to hire a bike for the duration of the test? And what's the best time to arrive? I understand they run the tests twice a day? Thanks again...

mk

I don't know about Non-Ed as I got my license with a Non-B. The only requirement for me was the Embassy letter to renew (renewed at Nongchok office) and Pattaya Immigration letter when I got 1 year in Chonburi. I don't know if they rent bikes. In Chonburi office near Pattaya they did not rent them as far as I know. Not sure about times either, sorry. Maybe someone who has used that office can give you better answers on that. I can tell you that in Nongchok they have a sign that says they only accept 200 people a day getting the license for the first time and you have to arrive before 9 a.m. to get a number. That is District 4 office (Minburi area). Not sure what On-Nut area office does but getting there early is best probably.

Jackbox

What a great reply. Thank you kindly for taking the time to provide such clear and comprehensive answers. I take it then there is no additional requirement for the Non-ED? I only ask this since I'm convinced I read a post somewhere, at some point, from someone claiming they had to produce an additional letter from their school confirming they were attending regularly or something to this effect. A couple of things I forgot to ask... Is there any provision at the Sukhumvit office to hire a bike for the duration of the test? And what's the best time to arrive? I understand they run the tests twice a day? Thanks again...

mk

No probs. Thanks again for your time and answers jackbox. Very much appreciated.

Hi MK,

Just for your info i applied for both bike and car lisences at the prakanong office (or near). I produced my UK license which was for car only and that was enough. I did not have to sit the test for a car or a bike. I just did the eyesight tests and i was issued with both licenses.

Cheers, Rick

Thanks for the info Rick, very helpful. A few questions:

Was this a recent application?

Where's the Prakanon office? Is your address in the area covered by that office?

What visa were you on and how long did it have left to run? (it seems in view of jackbox's info about the 3 months validity requirement, I'm scuppered until I get my new visa - my current one - the actual visa not the stamp - expires 1 Nov, but since it's a ME I plan to extend it by re-entry until Jan 09).

Thanks

mk

Thanks for the info Rick, very helpful. A few questions:

Was this a recent application?

Where's the Prakanon office? Is your address in the area covered by that office?

What visa were you on and how long did it have left to run? (it seems in view of jackbox's info about the 3 months validity requirement, I'm scuppered until I get my new visa - my current one - the actual visa not the stamp - expires 1 Nov, but since it's a ME I plan to extend it by re-entry until Jan 09).

Thanks

mk

Hi Mk,

I live on Soi Thonglor which is Sukhumvit 55 and this area is included in the (Bang Jaak) spelling? its around Suk soi 77. I am on a category 'o' visa as i am married to a Thai and the visa has 6 months to run. I was never asked the question though and the woman on the counter just glanced at the visa.

My application was fo a 5 year license following the expiry of my 1 year license and as i said i only had to take the eyesight test for the first application of the one year license. There was no driving test involved at all.

My advice to you is to go to the centre and present your documents to see how they react. It's a very relaxed atmosphere and the English language reading skills of the staff is not good.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Rick

Cheers, Rick

Thanks Rick. Just to be clear, sorry to appear pedantic, but I don't want to make any mistakes - you mean the office that most people seem to call the On Nut office? The one more or less opposite Sukhumvit 62? I think I might give it a shot anyway. You say your visa 'has 6 months to run.' Do you mean now or when you made the first (1 year) or second (5 year) application? All that concerns me is the potential waste of 2000 bht on the letter from the British Embassy, since according to the apparent 3 month rule about such letters, I wouldn't be able to use it if I had to apply again in January. Anyway, nothing ventured I guess. If anyone else has any views (based on recent experience) on whether applying now (with less than 3 months on my current non-Ed visa) would be a waste of time/money, I'd be very happy to hear them. Thanks again Rick...

mk

I went to renew my drivers licence today. A lot of the information contained in post #1 of this thread is years out of date and really needs to be deleted or updated, as I wasted a lot of time relying on it. Basically what I discovered today from the Chatuchak office and Immigration in Suan Plu was:

• You DON'T need to bring photos anymore
  • You DO need a medical certificate now to renew the 5 year licence
  • They WILL accept the 90 day reporting letter stamped by the immigration as proof of residence
  • Immigration won't allow you to report to them unless you have been in Thailand for 83 days already
  • The period of time remaining on your Non-Imm visa was irrelevant

Hope this is of some help, I'd say you're all good to get your licence mk

Documents needed vary by office and person that helps you. At Nongchok they would not accept a letter from Thai immigration. They wanted an Embassy letter only. Also the receipt that Immigration gives you does not show your address. It is only a slip of paper. Since Immigration keeps the part of the form with your address on it, how can you use the scrap of paper without your address as proof of residence?

I went to renew my drivers licence today. A lot of the information contained in post #1 of this thread is years out of date and really needs to be deleted or updated, as I wasted a lot of time relying on it. Basically what I discovered today from the Chatuchak office and Immigration in Suan Plu was:

• You DON'T need to bring photos anymore
  • You DO need a medical certificate now to renew the 5 year licence
  • They WILL accept the 90 day reporting letter stamped by the immigration as proof of residence
  • Immigration won't allow you to report to them unless you have been in Thailand for 83 days already
  • The period of time remaining on your Non-Imm visa was irrelevant

Hope this is of some help, I'd say you're all good to get your licence mk

Thanks Rick. Just to be clear, sorry to appear pedantic, but I don't want to make any mistakes - you mean the office that most people seem to call the On Nut office? The one more or less opposite Sukhumvit 62? I think I might give it a shot anyway. You say your visa 'has 6 months to run.' Do you mean now or when you made the first (1 year) or second (5 year) application? All that concerns me is the potential waste of 2000 bht on the letter from the British Embassy, since according to the apparent 3 month rule about such letters, I wouldn't be able to use it if I had to apply again in January. Anyway, nothing ventured I guess. If anyone else has any views (based on recent experience) on whether applying now (with less than 3 months on my current non-Ed visa) would be a waste of time/money, I'd be very happy to hear them. Thanks again Rick...

mk

Hi MK, Yes its the office opposite Sukhumvit 62. I had 6 months on my license when i applied for the 5 year license. I know what you mean about the Brit embassy situation, it's an absolute rip off.

I still think that its best just to call in and ask if your paperwork is in order. They were very helpful to me, but also take a Thai with you unless you are fluent in the language.

Cheers, Rick

The period of time remaining on your Non-Imm visa was irrelevant

Thanks alot for this info fruit. That seems like very good news. Can you elaborate at all on the above quote? Did they just look at your visa? Did they say anything specific? What were were your circumstances? i.e. Did you have less than 3 months to run? Also, do you live in the area covered by the JJ office?

I've spoken to a couple of people at my school and they're also telling me to just go and do it. Both were on TVs (I've no reason to disbelieve them) when they got their first licences (from the JJ office), but this was last year. I think I might give it a shot this week sometime. Thanks everyone for the help.

mk

The period of time remaining on your Non-Imm visa was irrelevant

Thanks alot for this info fruit. That seems like very good news. Can you elaborate at all on the above quote? Did they just look at your visa? Did they say anything specific? What were were your circumstances? i.e. Did you have less than 3 months to run? Also, do you live in the area covered by the JJ office?

I've spoken to a couple of people at my school and they're also telling me to just go and do it. Both were on TVs (I've no reason to disbelieve them) when they got their first licences (from the JJ office), but this was last year. I think I might give it a shot this week sometime. Thanks everyone for the help.

mk

The length of time remaining on my visa was not even discussed, the staff member just glanced at the page.

Good luck and i hope it all goes smoothly.

Cheers, Rick

As Rick said, they just looked at the visa to check it was a Non-Imm visa, they didn't mention anything about duration of the remaining visa, but my impression was that it was irrelevant. Maybe other offices have different rules but Chatuchak did offer a slip from their counter with the required documents, and then I discussed it further with a woman in booth 17 (booth reserved for foreigners). The slip states:

RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE BY YOURSELF

(CHANGE TO FIVE-YEAR LICENCE)

1. ONE YEAR THAI DRIVING LICENCE (EXPIRED MORE THAN 3 YEAR) I assume this means it can't have expired more than 3 years ago.
  2. PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTOCOPY)
  3. ORIGINAL PRESIDENT RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY OR IMMIGRATION OFFICE OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTOCOPY
  4. ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (NOT MORE THAN 1 MONTH) I assume this means issued not more than 1 month ago

FEE CAR 605 BAHTS OR 655 BAHTS

MOTORCYCLES 35 BAHTS OR 405 BAHTS

TEL 02-722-3615-16