Free Tourist Visas Between June 25, 2009 And March 2010

guess theI y did not engage brain before putting mouth into gear on this. :D

Why not visa on arrival 90day. :D

That way they relive the Thai Embassies staff from all the silly nonessential paper work that never gets processed anyway and is only stacked in boxes for Yeeeeaaaarrrrsss :)

There's a name for that - premature articulation. Careful how you say it though.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing the number of people on this thread now!

1075 User(s) are reading this topic (829 Guests and 5 Anonymous Users)

........and amazing how much negative vitriolic crap is being posted.

OK so it may not have much of an effect, but it is a positive move not a negative one. One might think from the majority of posts that they had just committed some gross misdeed. Very few are suggesting what else they should do.

For the tourist who comes here on the 30 day exemption and then runs into the 15 day border runs, surely this is helpful? I notice a lot of the criticism is coming from long stayers on whom this has little no direct effect. Why are you so incensed? Is it that you resent the fact that this might help such tourists of whom you disapprove? You sound so angry. Have you made yourselves prisoners here?

I'm just puzzled as to why so many long stayers are pouncing on this. Any answers?

BTW I'm on a retirement extension so it doesn't affect me either.

I would hazzard a guess that all the negative nellies are jealous that the newcomers are getting something for nothing when they had to pay.

Also maybe a little peeved that theres nothing in it for them??

As far as the free visas go, why be so negative?

You all contradict yourselves with this talk that the government want us to come short time and spend big time.If this were the the case then why bother offering the free visas?

Does it ever occur to you that it might be a ploy aimed at keeping the short-term farang here a little longer..after all we are the ones who spend money day after day and help the livelehoods of real thais...not just contributing into the pockets of the likes of soi cowboy.

I very well know the crowds at the vientane embassy on the last few days of the previous exempt period as i was there.

So i wonder how many fancy free tourists would have gone home (or somewhere else) if it were not for the free double entries given out?

I would have thought about going home or onto a new destination but this was one factor that swayed my decision for staying a further possible 6 months.

Sheez..seems some people are never happy!!

OMG!! PEOPLE!!

Tourism = Thailand main income.

Thailand facing economy crisis. (the whole old does)

Free visa or no free visa. its still brings money into the country.

Thailand grow, we grow. Thailand go down, we go down. Fact is simple. we stay and work in thailand. we pay taxes in thailand. if there are retrenchment, we (with work permits) are the first one to kiss our sweet little ass good bye.

So, lets not QQ about the visa and think how can we help attract more tourist. Airport close, people running naked in the street holding M16 are way past. Either they move up, or we move on.

The difference between Malaysia and Thailand is that Malaysia has been exposed to 'Western thinking/reasoning/logic' and can see the benefit of more open and flexible visa regulations. They have some respect from the ex-colonial farangs who did alot of good things in past times (like good infrastructure/railways/laws/etc). I believe the British were quite compassionate to the locals in colonial times. The Thais on the other hand think they 'know best' and are not prepared to listen to 'thinking/reasoning/logic'. Its a very old way of thinking, and too much emotion and feelings come into it like loosing face/younger person knowing more than on older person, etc. So no matter how stupid the person in power is who makes the decisions, we have to respect this persons point of view, no matter how illogical it is!

I would have thought Abhisit would be more sympathetic to foreigner issues in Thailand but I assume he is too busy just trying to stay in power with his fragile coalition to worry about the minority foreigner population!

OMG!! PEOPLE!!

Tourism = Thailand main income..........................................................................

Last I heard it was only 6-8% of GDP?

Important but not "main" ?

I believe that those who don't agree with the freebie do not like the fact that we will attract a lot of tourists and make previous expats not be able to stand out of the crowd.It Cha la si :)

Er Yeah Right!

Not sure if the above is THE Alan Taylor but he is correct. See here. During this period of 25 June 2009 to 04 March 2010 there will be an administration charge of £15 for the issue of the Tourist Visa with Single Entry.

Thanks for letting us know.

I think you will find that within a few days all consulates located within the UK will be making a similar charge to cover administration costs.

I did wonder as Honorary Consulates rely on this for there income.

Thanks for the information.

As you can imagine this has caught us all unprepared and communication is difficult for me at the moment as I am not physically in the uk but one of the subjects on the agenda is a discount for certain groups.

At this moment I cannot vouch for other consulates until I have discussed it with them but Hull will be offering a 30% discount to Thaivisa members.

Also this press release on the MFA website..

Tourist Visa Fee Exempted Until 4 March 2010

June 24, 2009, 6:41 pm

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai

Consulates-General worldwide, including eligible foreigners who apply for Visa on Arrival at designated

checkpoints, will be exempted from Tourist Visa fee from 25 June 2009 to 4 March 2010. Such

arrangement is for Tourist visa only.

Source: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/35.php?id=22640

Ubonjoe, please let us know when you hear the first report from Vientiane. I see in the OP it was stated "for single entry only". I wonder what will be the deal with 2 and 3 entry tourist visas from Vientiane during this new, much longer free visa period. I hope they don't close it down there due to lack of fees.

They were very accommodationg during the 3 month free period just finished, but will they be as forthcoming during a 9 month no fee period???

We might even hear something today. There is good chance that somebody got a surprise when they went for their visa today and will give us a report.

I was waiting for this. Now with the fear that consulates may start closing down due to lack of fees coming in we may be in real trouble. It's hard to imagine Vientiane will be able to continue issuing 1000's of tourist visas every week for free over the next 9 months. Some days they get 500 applicants, most asking for double entry tourist visas.

I could understand them taking a hit for 3 months, but another 9 months? They need a lot of staff to handle all the applications everyday. Without the fee revenue, what will happen? I thought the original plan was that the Thai government would cover the fees.

This is not looking good for local Thai Consulates.

I could understand them taking a hit for 3 months, but another 9 months? They need a lot of staff to handle all the applications everyday. Without the fee revenue, what will happen? I thought the original plan was that the Thai government would cover the fees.

Well indeed, as stated earlier, giving a free 60 days stamp arriving at airport would solve this with ZERO additional effort on immigration officers and people would NOT need to travel twice to consulates. (and it would leave consulate staff to do more important jobs with their time)

Someone needs to get a brain :)

Edited by tartempion

Well indeed, as stated earlier, giving a free 60 days stamp arriving at airport would solve this with ZERO additional effort on immigration officers and people would NOT need to travel twice to consulates. (and it would leave consulate staff to do more important jobs with their time)

Someone needs to get a brain :)

Wel, a visa is nothing more then a permission to travel to Thailand. Doesn't make sense to ask for a permission to travel to Thailand after you travel to Thailand. :D

Not sure if the above is THE Alan Taylor but he is correct. See here. During this period of 25 June 2009 to 04 March 2010 there will be an administration charge of £15 for the issue of the Tourist Visa with Single Entry.

you are being ripped off :D

Just been in touch with the Royal Thai Consulates office here in >>NEW ZEALAND << checked re administration charges :) there are no charges!!!. They were "very" surprised that you were being asked to pay an administration fee, so someone is making a tidy profit :D

Free tourist visas between June 25, 2009 and March 2010

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 25 June 2009 to March B.E.2553 (2010).

Such arrangement is for Tourist Visa single entry only.

-- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bangkok 2009-06-24

To all Tourist visa purchasers:

Be aware that this decision will mean that all Honourary Consulates-General around the world will be closed down. Diplomatic posts (in Canada, this is the Consulate-General in Vancouver and the Embassy in Ottawa only) get paid a salary and it doesn't matter how many or how few Tourist visas are sold, this does not affect their salaries. Honourary Consulates-General, on the other hand, function only on the money they bring in by selling visas - both Tourist and Non-Immigrant. There are over 450 Honourary Consulates-General around the world and all will be affected - probably to the point of having to close their doors. Once these Honourary Consulates-General are closed, the only place to obtain a visa (and even if they are free, you still need to get one) are the Diplomatic Posts in your country. Also, this means that, unless you live in the same city as a Diplomatic Post, you must courier your package to the nearest Diplomatic Post and also submit a prepaid return courier envelope.

No same-day service, no "deals", no "service after the sale" (if you go to the Diplomatic Posts in Canada and say "I THINK I need a Double Entry Tourist visa" - that's what they'll sell you, wether you actually need it or not. They will not ask you ANY questions or discuss your trip with you at all. They will not give you information on Thailand - where to go, what to see, etc., nor will they ask you how long you will be in Thailand, whether you will be leaving and returning while you are there, or any other question that would give them more information as to what type and number of visa you really require.

This is a very sad blow to all Honourary Consulates-General. We here in Calgary service a Thai community of about 5,000 people. We assist them in filling out forms, obtaining various Canadian documentation, we deal with temporary Thai workers and their various issued, we assist and join the Thai community in celebrating Loi Krathong and Songkhran, assist in arranging for Thai Nationals to obtain Canadian Landed Immigrant status, Canadian citizenship and bringing friends and relatives of theirs to Canada.

We also dispense Thai visas, do certifications (Thai Police Clearance Certificates/certification of documents, both in Alberta and Canada, as well as a vast number of other services. We offer same-day service for persons who require speedy service, dispense information on travelling to Thailand, things to see and visit while there, and, with the assistance of the Ottawa Embassy and Immigration in Thailand, assist Canadians who confront issues such as having their visa stamped incorrectly upon entry, how and where to obtain further Tourist visas, etc.

SO--- for anyone who thinks this is a really good deal, you are greatly mistaken. A Single Entry Tourist visa for Thailand costs $35.00 Canadian - for anybody who is travelling to Thailand, this is chickenfeed - about the same amount that a person would pay for a fairly decent dinner in Calgary!!!

We have submitted letters, facsimiles and e-mails to the Consulate-General in Vancouver, the Embassy in Ottawa and various government departments in Thailand, with no replies and no answers to our queries.

This decision, as well as the previous decision waiving Tourist visa fees for 90 days,has been a great disappointment to us here in Calgary. It seems as if Thailand is attempting to get rid of all Honourary Consulates-General around the world, no matter how helpful and successful they have been in dealing with the visitors to Thailand they issue visas to, the Thai National communities in their areas, developing and assessing current and future business investment in Thailand and assisting whenever requested (and we get "requested" a lot!!).

I realize this is a particularly long post, but this situation is vital to the ongoing existance of all Honourary Consulates-General around the world.

So, don't think that this is simply a cheaper way to visit LOS - it means the closure of a majority of the places around the world that have assisted innumerable visitors to Thailand to ensure that tourists and business people can visit the country safely and that they are aware of the rules, regulations and laws of Thailand.

Sincerely,

Thaical

I think the visa is free for the tourist who apply for it, but the embassy or consulate will still be paid back for the visas they issued from the government (or their share of the visa fee).

What make me say so is that when you apply for the visa, you still get an official receipt, however it is written free on it; meanwhile for those who are exempted from the visa fee normally such as the Singaporean, will get a "receipt slip" without a number or carbonated copy.

May be that's why the Embassies are not complaining about it.

Bishop

you are being ripped off :D

Just been in touch with the Royal Thai Consulates office here in >>NEW ZEALAND << checked re administration charges :) there are no charges!!!. They were "very" surprised that you were being asked to pay an administration fee, so someone is making a tidy profit :D

That is because it is an official embassy not a honorary consulate. Official embassies and consulates are staffed by Thai goverment employees. All operational costs are covered by goverment expenditures.

Honorary consulates only source of income is from the visa fee they collect.

Not having goverment employees is the reason they are known to be much more friendly and flexable than the goverment operated ones.

It is only a matter of time before even newer changes are brought in to combat the ones that have been implemented now. After Saturdays(27th June) Red Shirt parade again and possible conflict with police and troops, the issueing of free single entry visa's are not going to be a priority. However, it will be another nail into the coffin of Thai tourism along with the Muslim Radicals and the high Baht rate against many currencies that are also reasons for NOT coming here.

I think the 90 day rule was ok before, but to make money they should charge the re-entry fee at the borders and stop the nonsense of having to leave the country . Most tourists come here on a package for a couple of weeks and dont need to buy a visa from a Consulate or Embassy , they just get the stamp on arrival . If they want to stay longer , go to the border and pay for it.

Chopping and changing the rules all the time is frustrating for the staff of Immigration where ever they are, but just as annoying to us who find out at the last minute . The Mismanagement of everything here isnt a suprise., but I am thankful for being allowed st stay what ever the rules.

The difference between Malaysia and Thailand is that Malaysia has been exposed to 'Western thinking/reasoning/logic' and can see the benefit of more open and flexible visa regulations. They have some respect from the ex-colonial farangs who did alot of good things in past times (like good infrastructure/railways/laws/etc). I believe the British were quite compassionate to the locals in colonial times. The Thais on the other hand think they 'know best' and are not prepared to listen to 'thinking/reasoning/logic'. Its a very old way of thinking, and too much emotion and feelings come into it like loosing face/younger person knowing more than on older person, etc. So no matter how stupid the person in power is who makes the decisions, we have to respect this persons point of view, no matter how illogical it is!

I would have thought Abhisit would be more sympathetic to foreigner issues in Thailand but I assume he is too busy just trying to stay in power with his fragile coalition to worry about the minority foreigner population!

LOLZ.

born and raised in msia. choose to stay in thailand. Frankly, Thailand = Malaysia. Same same na.

during independents in 1957, msia "WANTED" to have the so-called western thinking/reasoning/logic at first. 52 years have past. What have msian achieve. Nothing. Msian still have the old way of thinking like what was quoted. wondering whats with UMNO and PAS issue is all about. (hope it is safe to discuss here in "thaivisa.com" and not "malaysiavisa.com"). ROTFL..

can't help it becoz asian country tend to have this kind of cultural old thinking.

I understand why Abhisit poses so much rules and regulations to foreigners/invester. he was forced by the majority of the thai citizen in fear that foreigners will take away what they owned all this while e.g land, property, money, economy. Thailand big country, malaysia looks like one bloody Ubi Kentang (potato) shape.

if the benefits were to go back to the citizen, sure!! why not take our land and develop, take our saving, mutual fund and speculate. as long as you give back the "thai" people their rightful royalties with a great value in terms of $$$$ .. I believe Abhisit is a good leader with little greed (eveyone greeds. its just a matter of "big" or "small"). give him some time. He is a businessman. he understand the meaning of globalisation, investment and development. he will need some time and support to convince the local. He will slowly open back the market to us. Shin Corp. thingy still have alot of impact on most thai ppl.

However, (let sidetrack abit), msia have loose regulations regarding foreign investment (i give an example of malaysia lands ya). Msia leaders knows what is best for their pockets. They know how to force people out from their home given compensation plan say like building a super low-cost flat to home 300 homeless families at a value of say RM 2000 per home while they (the leaders) take the land, sell half of it to other countries, build big fancy Golf and Country clubs, prices the house at say RM 6.5 million per bangalow plus life time membership. Later to find out that they pocketed like RM 30 million into their (each one of them) own pocket. by the way, did i mention that the super low-cost flat projects cost only like 10% of their pocketed money. Na songsan to the poor families.

Sorry pal. The fact is Malaysian Malay, Malaysian Chinese and Malaysian Indian don't really benefit anything from letting foreigner develop on their land left by their ancestor. Only Malaysian Leader 1, Malaysia Assistant Leader 2, Malaysia Assistant Leader 3 and so on and so forth will benefit from that. These people will then be able to build a home as big as the Istana (King Palace). Suprisingly, the BPR (anticorruption agency) did not notice anything. weird. :)

I don't mean to flame anybody or create any fuss. I am one of those Malaysian Chinese that work to hard thinking I would be able to help the nation. After 20 over years, finally it back fired. reason being is simple. "Kulit kamu warna kuning". Well I don't see that in thailand.

LOLZ.

born and raised in msia. choose to stay in thailand. Frankly, Thailand = Malaysia. Same same na.

That's a pretty amazing conclusion you've come to. Thailand and Malaysia are bordering countries with nothing in common.

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Continuing its efforts to expedite the revival of the Thai travel and tourism industry, the Royal Thai government has agreed to exempt the fee for tourist visa applications, effective 25 June 2009 to March 2010.

All foreigners who apply for Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide will be exempted from tourist visa fee from 25 June 2009 to March B.E.2553 (2010).

TOURIST VISA FEE – Temporary Concession

The Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs has today decided to re-introduce the waiving of the £28 fee for the Tourist Visa with Single Entry for the period 25 June 2009 to 04 March 2010. This concession does not apply to any other visas. During this period of 25 June 2009 to 04 March 2010 there will be an administration charge of £15 for the issue of the Tourist Visa with Single Entry.

Not quite free!

TOURIST VISA FEE – Temporary Concession

The Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs has today decided to re-introduce the waiving of the £28 fee for the Tourist Visa with Single Entry for the period 25 June 2009 to 04 March 2010. This concession does not apply to any other visas. During this period of 25 June 2009 to 04 March 2010 there will be an administration charge of £15 for the issue of the Tourist Visa with Single Entry.

Not quite free!

You forgot to mention that is for the consulate in Hull only. Which was covered a couple of pages back.

I would have thought that most of the tourist types they are trying to attract, the ones that might stay in a top notch hotel and actually spend some serious money, wouldn't need a tourist visa anyway.

Yeah right!

1,900 Bht i can save i'm seriously thinking about going to Thailand on holiday.Maybe now i can stay at a 5 star hotel......or not!

Well....this free tourist visa will only cause Thailand to loose a lot of revenue from the visa fees. People who do want to visit Thailand will visit anyway....people who never consider visiting Thailand won't change their mind just because they can save a few baht!

Thailand instead should've used the millions of baht on something else benefitting the local Thais.

Tourism will keep dropping the coming months, no matter if the visa is free or not!!

It will probably help the do it yourselfers who stay long "tam" I was wondering if you go to Penang and use one of those services on Chulia street - Is their price now a thousand baht less? What are the rules again for how many times you can go to the same Foreign Thai consulate in the same city. And can you accidentally lose your passport and start the whole route all over? I see a new prospect of the one year type O friends and family that I somehow never saw before but I'm not married to a thai lady or have thai parents. Work, Ed - Retirement visas have too many hoops (At least work and ed visas) What do you have to go through to get a work permit? (Don't bother. I get snow blind trying to re read all that pages and pages of requirements over and over. I always just close the browser and forget it)I've been in south E Asia for four years now and I somehow subconsciously avoid pursuing those types of visa.

Immigration is a good thing I guess even though it's a huge hassle seemingly aimed specifically at me. It has a reason for existence. I hope it just doesn't backfire and lock me out. I complained of the difference between this whole area and my original country being that nobody can even tell if your a foreigner or not - where I'm from and I never saw an immigration officer or office my whole life there. But here there are far more people that are much more closely descendant of my roots than there were where I was from. I think even though these similar people are not from my region of the world (And many of them are) that they are far greater in numbers here in a foreign land with me and that they too have original countries where there are hardly any of there own kind left. They like me didn't even know this before they ever saw this region of the world. ( so what's the point?) I don't know? Southeast Asia is like a giant theme park that the entrance gates are becoming more rigorously controlled. (Is this a good thing?) One wonders. There was a lot of violent crime and vandalism back home that is absent here. You may have noticed the lack of graffiti scratched into furniture and walls in businesses they have there and here (McDonald's, 7-11, Starbucks etc.) The people that do that sort of thing are more proliferate in the west than they are here so hopefully the gate keepers can identify them and refuse entry to them. As I said though it could backfire and you could get locked out and also it's an on going hoop jumping session way of life.

Now.. by the time you read all that it's already time to go get your passport stamped.