Confusion Reigns In Phuket Over Alcohol Ban

LivinginKata

Confusion reigns in Phuket over alcohol ban

phuket-The-scene-on-Patong’s-Soi-Seadragon-during-the-recent-visit-by-several-US-Navy-ships-Some-5000-US-servicemen-spent-time-on-the-island-without-a-single-report-of-disorderly-conduct-or-crime-1-vt.jpgThe scene on Patong’s Soi Seadragon during the recent visit by several US Navy ships. Some 5,000 US servicemen spent time on the island without a single crime or report of disorderly conduct.

PHUKET: Following a Cabinet resolution late last month banning alcohol sales on Buddhist holidays, the province is "asking for co-operation" from nightlife entertainment operators in closing on July 7 and 8 – but local leaders say they have yet to receive any formal orders making closure an official requirement.

Tuesday, July 7 is Asarnha Bucha Day, and July 8 the first day of Buddhist Lent (Khao Phansa).

The Thai Cabinet has declared Monday, July 6 to Wednesday, July 8 to be holidays for government workers, while July 7 and 8 will also be bank holidays.

Phuket City Police Deputy Superintendent Chaiwat Auykham said bars in Phuket City have been asked to close for the two days, but that "enforcement" of the voluntary ban in other police districts was up to the police who have jurisdiction there.

Speaking from Surat Thani, Kathu Police Superintendent Grissak Songmoonark told the Gazette that bar operators in Patong have already agreed to close down on Asarnha Bucha Day, when a host of religious and team-building activities have been arranged by the Patong Entertainment Business Association (PEBA).

For details click here.

As for July 8, Col Grissak said bar owners would be "asked" to cooperate with the no-alcohol ban, as they have in years past.

However, Col Grissak said his station had yet to receive any official orders from the district office formally banning alcohol sales on that day.

Kathu Assistant District Officer (Palad) Jatoopong Kaewsai said his office had yet to receive any orders from the province banning alcohol sales on the two days.

It appears that despite the cabinet resolution, no official orders banning alcohol sales have made their way through the Interior Ministry to the province.

An officer at the Phuket Public Relations Office seemed to confirm this by saying, "It's not possible to close every pub, especially in popular tourist destinations like Patong, but most of them usually co-operate."

One foreign bar operator on Patong's Soi Kebsup told the Gazette he planned to close on July 7 and reopen on July 8, but with no alcohol sales.

Whether bars open or not is somewhat of a moot point because there are so few tourists around at the moment, he said.

"It's completely dead at the moment, worse than it was right after the tsunami," he said. spacer.gif– Stephen Fein and Atchaa Khamlo

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-07-03

Confusion reigns in Phuket over alcohol ban

One foreign bar operator on Patong's Soi Kebsup told the Gazette

Whether bars open or not is somewhat of a moot point because there are so few tourists around at the moment, he said.

"It's completely dead at the moment, worse than it was right after the tsunami," he said. spacer.gif

correct. after the tsu. there was a large influx of 'helpers' all needing food, accom, and the small pleasures of life and contributing to the economy. Now it's " Hi hippie, looks like you lost a thong. " Hippie says " nah man, only found one "

That's it, says it all, may as well put the padlock on this thread and save wasting time with unnecessary discussion which gets us all nowhere.

Edited by sportsman69

With due respect to the local culture I suspect this will make the suffering of some businesses even worse. Most tourists are not buddhist nor are they interested in local elections. Locals who need a drink will always find a way but tourists will not find it so easy. It does highlight a problem in our society where people think they need to drink alcohol in order to have fun, something I subscribed to for many years.

With due respect to the local culture I suspect this will make the suffering of some businesses even worse. Most tourists are not buddhist nor are they interested in local elections. Locals who need a drink will always find a way but tourists will not find it so easy. It does highlight a problem in our society where people think they need to drink alcohol in order to have fun, something I subscribed to for many years.

Every time we have one of these bans the same arguments come up. "We're not involved in the election, or, we're not Buddhist" so how many dead horses do we have to beat before we're done with these inane arguments?

Everybody- SO WHAT !!!

The local mom and pop shops will still sell. If you want to have stock over the ban days because you live in the big tourist area stock up on Monday.

this i feel is the point and not only will they (the locals),find a way, but i doubt that many thai men will change their habbits for these 2 days, well not in the rural communities anyway. if this is so then it is the tourist industry that will suffer, again, even more. you made a very good point in your post.