Bangkok Immigration E-application

Has anybody noticed the new link at the bottom left of Banagkok immigration immigration offices website?

post-21260-1246620112_thumb.png

Advance online application for the re-entry permit has been available for some time. Now applications for extesnion of stay (which the website calls "visa extension") and for change of visa have been added. I have not yet registered for the service but looked at their manual:

http://www.bangkok-immigration.com/eApplic...es/ManualEN.pdf

--

Maestro

Looking at the IT side of it I guess they first have to find a way for the foreigner to attach documents to his online form, and for the immigration office to process the form and file the whole lot online without having to print out anything. And they would have to make enough backup copies and keep at least two of these copies in safe places, like buried deep in a mountain.

I can’t see it happen. Even with the 90-day address report they will continue to file everything in paper form and this will have to be sent by mail, with visa and re-entry applications brought in person after the online application. Still better than nothing.

On the other hand, they could consider themselves satisfied with the online form only for the 90-day address report and match it in their IT system to your arrival information, which they perhaps also need to computerise a little better. Let’s keep hoping!

--

Maestro

It looks like that. The link is on two sites which are at the moment identical:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/base.php, the traditional site of the Bangkok immigration office.

http://www.imm.police.go.th/, which I believe to be a relatively new domain, sometimes, like now, identical to the other one but a few weeks ago they were different.

From both sites, the E-Application link leads to a page of the domain www.bangkok-immigration.com:

http://www.bangkok-immigration.com/eApplic...gin.jsp?lang=EN,

which means that there are now at least three domains for the Bangkok immigration office. It could be that the new site is intended for exclusive use for electronic services, ie starting on a clean slate and build it up from there.

--

Maestro

"Even with the 90-day address report they will continue to file everything in paper form..."

I don't think they file anything. I think they have a book to put the info in.

Otherwise, why would Bangkok send all of your paperwork back to you?

seems all this is happening at the same time there is a move out to the new digs at Chaeng Wattana.

Me thinks that when the new office opens there will be a whole lot of streamlined proceedures related to visas.

Assuming this new e-system will work, and there will be a method to attach the relevant documents, such as bank statements, copies of passport pages etc, do you suppose you would still have to turn up to get a stamp in your passport? I suppose if you do, it speeds up the process considerably. A few considerations to be made, as you note, but it would indeed be a wonderful step forward. And the the 90 day report too.

Lordy, was that a hassle last time (25 June) at Suan Plu - took about 45-60 minutes to complete, with long queue at the "Information" counter and a delay to get the queue ticket - only one Immi staff at the counter and the usual suspects cutting in at the sides, (and of course being dealt with), despite others like myself waiting patiently for our turn.

Edited by samtam

Just wonder, does this only apply in Bangkok?

I noticed that on the registration page you have to the option to enter an address in any of the provinces, so there may be an effort to make this nationwide.

Having lived here 45 years I do notice things like visas do get treated slightly more efficiently But very slowly.

The fact that you can now post your 90 day report to a special office in Bangkok without sending your passport makes the the whole matter a non issue. No-one should complain about having to post three letters a year. In fact I have three envelopes stamped and addressed to immigration with a stamped self adressed envelope, a copy of my passport in each envelope and a filled in form. I put the date on which the is envelope is to be posted. When the first form is returned, it is put into the second envelope ready to send and so on. It takes far less time than paying any of your monthly bills. So why do people still ask and complain about this matter.

Having lived here 45 years I do notice things like visas do get treated slightly more efficiently But very slowly.

The fact that you can now post your 90 day report to a special office in Bangkok without sending your passport makes the the whole matter a non issue. No-one should complain about having to post three letters a year. In fact I have three envelopes stamped and addressed to immigration with a stamped self adressed envelope, a copy of my passport in each envelope and a filled in form. I put the date on which the is envelope is to be posted. When the first form is returned, it is put into the second envelope ready to send and so on. It takes far less time than paying any of your monthly bills. So why do people still ask and complain about this matter.

I agree with your comment but I am surprised that after 45 years in Thailand you're not a Thai citizen or at least a permanent resident.

Hi everybody - after looking through the manual and example pages it seems to be obvious that the new system is supposed to give the immigration office your form in advance and to secure you a place in line on the day of your choice with perhaps a time slot allocated. You will still have to supply all the necessary documents as hard copies. I would even take the appropriate form, even though there is a chance that they will already have a printed copy for you to sign. The possibility to have a number in the queue in advance is already worth it.

My extension of stay is due in about 5 weeks. I'll try this procedure and post my experience. If everybody who's due for one of the cases covered will be so kind to do the same we will have an idea of the whole procedure and its efficiency soon.

Assuming this new e-system will work, and there will be a method to attach the relevant documents, such as bank statements, copies of passport pages etc, do you suppose you would still have to turn up to get a stamp in your passport? I suppose if you do, it speeds up the process considerably. A few considerations to be made, as you note, but it would indeed be a wonderful step forward. And the the 90 day report too.

Lordy, was that a hassle last time (25 June) at Suan Plu - took about 45-60 minutes to complete, with long queue at the "Information" counter and a delay to get the queue ticket - only one Immi staff at the counter and the usual suspects cutting in at the sides, (and of course being dealt with), despite others like myself waiting patiently for our turn.

You would still have to take original documents with you when you went for your visa stamp, too many people would forge their proof of income

I agree with your comment but I am surprised that after 45 years in Thailand you're not a Thai citizen or at least a permanent resident.

I think I understand it. I've been here 27 years myself. At first, it just didn't seem to offer any advantages. Then it got too expensive. Then it was restricted to 100 ppl a year. Then Purachai made it impossible. I don't know how the situation is now -- I know one guy who did get Thai citizenship about three years ago, but I'm not clear what the current situation is for permanent residence permits. Except I do know they're too expensive for me to afford. My Thai is adequate for my daily needs (I live upcountry, so very few people speak English) but I'm not confident I would impress the examiner if I applied for citizenship. Besides which I don't own a successful business employing many Thais.

In short, extending my visa every year is not too onerous. :)

Looking at the IT side of it I guess they first have to find a way for the foreigner to attach documents to his online form, and for the immigration office to process the form and file the whole lot online without having to print out anything. And they would have to make enough backup copies and keep at least two of these copies in safe places, like buried deep in a mountain.

I can’t see it happen. Even with the 90-day address report they will continue to file everything in paper form and this will have to be sent by mail, with visa and re-entry applications brought in person after the online application. Still better than nothing.

On the other hand, they could consider themselves satisfied with the online form only for the 90-day address report and match it in their IT system to your arrival information, which they perhaps also need to computerise a little better. Let’s keep hoping!

--

Maestro

As I understand it the system seems to be nothing else than "making an appointment" and all documents have to be taken along to immigration.

Playing around with it yesterday, the earliest apointment was for 20th July.

I am sure - when operational - it will cut down the five-hour wait I had to endure last year.

Is there someone who could translate into English "Reason for Application."

I am sure the system will be a success once Immigration have moved to Chiang Wattana.

• 3 weeks later...

Just trying to get a queue number for August 11 but nothing appears after Select Queue in the fields: Queue, Date, Time, Counters, Reference No. Error message is Data not found. Did anybody get this to work yet? Thanks in advance.

Edited by lothda

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(Partial) success!

A few days ago, I successfully got a queue date (I've been trying once a week). Note that although you press a "Save Data" button, I cannot find any way of redisplaying the filled in page once you have navigated away from it, so make a note of the date, time and reference number and / or print the page.

This morning, I received a call from the Immigration Inspector who I have to see, confirming the appointment and giving me her name. So it all looks quite hopeful so far. I will keep you all updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hats off to the Immigration Department!

I arrived half an hour early for my appointment and was seen immediately, did not have to wait until the appointed time. The entire extension process, including photo and fingerprinting, took less than 30 minutes, so I was finished before the official time of my appointment.

A great service from Immigration. An enormous improvement over the normal rising at sparrow's fart, fighting through the rush hour to get there and then waiting four or five hours to be seen. Let's just hope that moving offices doesn't bugger up the system!