Thailand 'gets Tough' With Hmong

churchill

For the past four years, thousands of ethnic Hmong, who have fled from their homes in the mountains of northern Laos, have been living a precarious existence in the Thai province of Phetchabun.

After initially trying to survive in the forest, they were moved by the Thai military into a camp, to which access is strictly controlled.

Almost all outside agencies are banned from entry.

Repeated requests by the UN refugee agency to be allowed to screen them and assess their claims that they face persecution or death if sent back to Laos have been refused by the Thai authorities.

Extreme stress

Every now and again groups have been forcibly repatriated to Laos; the rest remain trapped, living in constant fear.

One group of 158, which includes many children, has been held for two and a half years in a cramped detention centre in the border town of Nong Khai. Others are being held in jail.

[The Thai authorities] have been trying to get MSF to stop food distribution to the people in order to punish them

Gilles Isard, MSF

The only international organisation allowed to help the almost 5,000 Hmong in Phetchabun has been Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), which has been their sole source of food and healthcare. Now MSF has decided to pull out, citing unacceptable pressure from the Thai military.

"We can no longer work in a camp where the military use arbitrary imprisonment of influential leaders to pressure refugees into a 'voluntary' return to Laos," said Gilles Isard, head of the MSF mission in Thailand.

"Also there are pressures on MSF. For instance they have been trying to get MSF to stop food distribution to the people in order to punish them."

MSF staff describe the Hmong as living under extreme psychological stress, because of the constant threat of repatriation. Some have threatened to kill themselves, rather than return. Many carry bullet wounds; they say they fear retribution by the Lao communist authorities if they go back.

MSF has been running a health clinic just outside the camp, but says the Hmong stopped coming after they were forced to report to a Thai military checkpoint first.

The checkpoints are where the Thai authorities sometimes whisk Hmong away for deportation.

More than 1,500 have already been forced back over the border. Their fate is still uncertain, as the Lao government refuses to allow international agencies to monitor the returnees.

According to Amnesty International, 20 women and girls sent back to Laos in December 2005 were detained for 18 months, and some were tortured.

Other returnees have vanished.

Bombarded

The Hmong are a large hill tribe, who inhabit mountainous areas of south-east Asia.

During the Vietnam War, many of them were recruited into a secret army run by the CIA, to help fight against the advancing communist Pathet Lao forces. When the Americans pulled out, the Hmong found themselves on the losing side.

Joua Va Yang holds a photo of Ruhi Hamid, who made the BBC film

They were subjected to harsh treatment by the new communist government. Some started a desperate armed campaign against the government, which they have kept up intermittently until now. Lao forces have responded in kind, at times bombarding Hmong areas from the ground and air.

Among the Hmong leaders is Joua Va Yang, who in 2004 helped guide a BBC team into a rebel area to make the first TV documentary about the plight of the Hmong who were trapped there.

He is now being held in jail in Phetchabun, after being arrested at the camp.

The Thai military say he has volunteered to go back to Laos, despite an obvious risk of retribution over his role in the documentary. No-one has been allowed to see him to hear his own views.

Fate sealed?

So why is Thailand taking such a hard line against the fleeing Hmong? Many would be eligible for resettlement in the United States, if only they could be screened by agencies like the UNHCR.

There is no easy answer. Over the years Thailand has had to host millions of displaced people from conflicts in neighbouring countries. Some have been allowed to stay. Others have been kept in camps, like the Hmong, where access to international agencies is tightly restricted.

Little information has come out from those already sent back to Laos

The army, a very powerful player in Thai politics, routinely demands a big say over how they are treated.

Earlier this year military units were accused of towing asylum-seekers from Burma's Rohingya minority out to sea, and casting them adrift with little food and water.

The military appears to view some groups as a security threat, or as an unwanted complication in their ties with neighbouring armies.

But the fate of the Hmong seems sealed.

The Thai Foreign Minister, Kasit Piromya, told the BBC that he had already agreed with his Lao counterparts to send them back soon.

On a recent trip to Washington DC, the famously loose-tongued Mr Kasit said one Hmong group would be allowed to go to the US - only to back-track after the Lao government protested.

When asked why no international screening or monitoring of the Hmong was being allowed by Thailand, Mr Kasit would only say that such screening was unnecessary, and that he was prepared to trust the assurances of the Lao government.

Medecins Sans Frontieres, the UNHCR and many other agencies strongly disagree.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8062058.stmbbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 22/05/09

Thailand to repatriate 4,000 Hmong by year's end, Radio Laos says

Thailand plans to repatriate about 4,000 Hmong refugees to Laos "by force" by the end of this year, Radio Laos said Thursday.

Thailand has already repatriated an estimated 2,000 Hmong from its Huai Nam Khao camp and would repatriate the remaining 4,000 to Laos by year's end, the state-run radio station said in a broadcast monitored in Bangkok.

"If the Hmong wish to seek resettlement abroad, they will do so from Laos, not from Thailand," the station said.//DPA

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/30106...y-year's-enationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 09/07/09

It is a sad state of affairs, and it seems that ASEAN isn't interested in it even though they have a commission on human security that is supposed to champion human rights.

I saw Surin Pitsuwan (ASEAN Secretary-General) speak a week ago about "The Promotion of Human Rights and Human Security in Southeast Asia", and when questioned about the ASEAN response to the Rohingyan issue, his response was typically diplomatic and evasive. I'm sure it would be the same for the Hmong.

I know it isn't Thailand's job to take care of refugees from other countries, but sometimes human interest must come before national interest. :)

Does anyone have any theories to why the Hmong, Rohingya & Karen are hated so much? Possibly it's similar to the European hatred of Gypsies.

PS. It's just a question, I'm in no way condoning it.

Update

Mac

PRESS RELEASE - July 9, 2009

BBC guide flees camp

Last weekend, Joua Va Yang, a Hmong refugee and former jungle guide for the BBC, escaped from Huay Nam Khao refugee camp in northern Thailand due to continuing threats and mounting fears of being deported to Laos.

He and the rest of his family had been held in jail over the past 3-4 months being pressured to return to Laos. Due to what seems to have been the result of international pressure and media coverage, a small group of U.S. Congressional and Embassy staffers were allowed to tour the camp and visit him on July 3.

Just two days before the planned visit, Thai authorities had personally warned Joua Va Yang not to mention any type of mistreatment or his unwillingness to return to Laos. Otherwise, he and his family would be sent back to rot in Khao Kho jail where they were previously held for refusing to “volunteer” to return to Laos. Joua Va Yang’s wife has been very sick lately so he was very afraid about what to say fearing the consequences.

Since Joua Va Yang speaks very little Thai the U.S. officials had to speak with him through a Thai military interpreter who speaks the Hmong language. This ensured that Joua Va Yang could not speak freely, as there were also other Thai military officials present monitoring his every move.

In April, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and Amnesty International both issued public statements of concern regarding the alleged treatment of Joua Va Yang, who claims he was beaten by Thai authorities and told he would not be released from jail until he “volunteers” to return to Laos, the country he fled political persecution from. Ever since then, his case has been very high profile making it difficult for the Thais to deport him to Laos.

Instead, Thai authorities have used rough handed measures incarcerating his wife and young children and isolating them from the outside world in order to break their will. Camp authorities even began circulating rumors among the Hmong refugee population that Joua Va Yang’s family had agreed to return to Laos. Yet they continued to hold his family in isolation making the rest of the camp population very suspicious whether or not this was really true.

Joua Va Yang is now making a personal plea to the BBC and other journalists, human rights groups and the rest of the international community. He asks that you intercede quickly before he is captured and forced back to Laos stating “Tell me, if you can’t help I’ll just kill myself.”

[Attached photo – Joua Va Yang holding photograph of BBC crew member who he led into the jungles of Laos back in 2004]

Joe Davy

Hmong Advocate

Chicago

Does anyone have any theories to why the Hmong, Rohingya & Karen are hated so much? Possibly it's similar to the European hatred of Gypsies.

PS. It's just a question, I'm in no way condoning it.

You forgot to list the Burmese. But ethnic minorities from neighboring countries that once were military rivals of Thai Kings are even lower than the offending rivals, who at least were worthy of being considered hated rivals. The Thai government often takes its marching orders from its neighbors regarding these "tribals". The Thai government's contempt for the refugees and IDPs along the Burmese border are well known. As to the psychological reasons as to why, well I am not able to answer that other than it is part of establishing one's own national identity. Achaan Thongchai explores this, amongst several other themes, in his book Siam Mapped, a must read.

It too many ethnic people are allowed in, potentially it could become another Uramqi. I am not pointing to Hmong in particular.

You mean like when the Chinese colonize Uighur lands? Are the Thais somehow colonizing Hmong lands? I suppose you could make an argument for Thai colonization around Mae Hong Song, Mae Sariang, or even Pai. But I just can't parse the logical connection here with the situation in Uramqi.

It too many ethnic people are allowed in, potentially it could become another Uramqi. I am not pointing to Hmong in particular.

You mean like when the Chinese colonize Uighur lands? Are the Thais somehow colonizing Hmong lands? I suppose you could make an argument for Thai colonization around Mae Hong Song, Mae Sariang, or even Pai. But I just can't parse the logical connection here with the situation in Uramqi.

My dad told me story of old Singapore. In the 60's, similar thing happen in Singapore. The Malay and Chinese were fighting just like in Uramqi now.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_riots_of_Singapore

My dad told me story of old Singapore. In the 60's, similar thing happen in Singapore. The Malay and Chinese were fighting just like in Uramqi now.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_riots_of_Singapore

Yes, well when one group expands or migrates into the territory of another group violent conflict tends to arise. The Han Chinese expansion into Southeast Asia was/is often met by violence just as have their more traditional colonial expansion into non-Chinese regions such as Tibet, the Tarim Basin, or the Uyghur Turkic regions. The Hmong on the other hand are a minority fleeing from oppression.

• 3 weeks later...

Press Releases

Embassy of the United States of America

Bangkok

July 31, 2009

Visit to Laos and Thailand of Samuel Witten, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of State, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Samuel Witten, a senior Department of State official, visited Laos and Thailand from July 27 – August 1, 2009. Mr. Witten’s visit followed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s meetings with senior Royal Thai Government officials on July 21-22, 2009, during which humanitarian issues were discussed in the context of Thailand’s historical generosity to persons fleeing conflict in neighboring countries.

The principal focus of Mr. Witten’s visit to both countries was the situation of certain Lao Hmong who have entered Thailand over the past few years. At present, about 4,700 Lao Hmong remain detained in a Royal Thai Army-run camp in Petchabun Province, Thailand, and an additional 158 (which includes almost 90 children) are in long-term detention in an immigration detention center in Nong Khai, Thailand.

In his meetings with Lao and Thai civilian and military leaders, Mr. Witten emphasized the interest of the United States and the international community in finding a humanitarian solution to both protracted situations. Of particular pressing humanitarian concern is the situation of the Nong Khai group, which has been identified by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) as qualifying for international protection under its mandate. Mr. Witten visited the Nong Khai immigration detention center and viewed a U.S.–funded project, implemented by the International Organization for Migration, to construct and run a temporary shelter adjacent to the detention center. The U.S.-funded project relieves overcrowding in the small facility for parts of each day and also includes a nurse and teacher for the children confined at Nong Khai.

Mr. Witten urged that the Nong Khai group, which has been detained by Thai authorities for over two-and-a-half years, not be returned involuntarily to Laos and should instead, for humanitarian reasons, be released immediately from the Nong Khai facility.

Mr. Witten also visited the Petchabun detention facility. The United States funds several humanitarian organizations to provide food, water, sanitation and medical care for the 4,700 detainees at that location. In his meetings, Mr. Witten noted the importance of an appropriate and transparent screening process to identify those detainees who may have protection concerns; those Lao Hmong who are found to be in need of protection should not be forcibly returned to Laos. He also noted that the U.S. Government has no plans for a large-scale resettlement program for Lao Hmong in Thailand; however, the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program, as it does elsewhere in the world, will consider referrals on a case-by-case basis.

In his meetings in Laos and Thailand, Mr. Witten also recognized Lao Government efforts to increase transparency regarding the welfare of repatriated Lao Hmong, and emphasized that transparency is the best way to build confidence about this ongoing process.

In a visit to Tak province along the Thai-Burma border, Mr. Witten viewed the joint U.S. - Thai humanitarian effort to offer third country resettlement for Burmese refugees in the established camps. Over 14,000 refugees from the camps in Thailand will be resettled in the United States and at least another 4,500 Burmese refugees are expected to be resettled in the United States from other locations in the region this year.

Mr. Witten also visited Mae La refugee camp-- Thailand’s largest refugee camp. In FY 2009, the United States intends to provide over $12 million to assist Burmese refugees in the region, of which over $10 million will go to non-governmental organizations to provide food, shelter, water and sanitation, health and gender-based violence prevention and response programs for refugees in camps in Thailand.

In June 2009, about 3,000 ethnic Karen Burmese refugees entered Thailand in nearby Tha Song Yang district, fleeing fighting in Burma. Mr. Witten toured the temporary refuge area designated by the Royal Thai Government. He met with Karen refugees and viewed assistance projects funded in part by the United States. The United States is supporting a consortium of non-governmental organizations which provide emergency assistance to the Karen refugees, and very much appreciates the Royal Thai Government’s policy decision to provide temporary protection to this vulnerable group, which consists mostly of women and children.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/news/press/2009/nrot026.html

Very sad story and a blight on all those that had anything to do with it.

This tale has quite a history, really. Of contemporary times, one could look at the early 1960s when the consortium of Thai/US militay forces instigated conflict with Laos. And the gentle and peaceful character of Thai authorities has a rich history of turning back and looking down on war-torn refugees from neighboring sides. As these ethnic populations historicall don't see political borders in their make-up, one will find relations from Burma, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, and southern China. Another book could easily be taken up regarding Thailand's view of Khmer populations of the 1970s. Nastily treated, they were.

It is a sad state of affairs, and it seems that ASEAN isn't interested in it even though they have a commission on human security that is supposed to champion human rights.

I saw Surin Pitsuwan (ASEAN Secretary-General) speak a week ago about "The Promotion of Human Rights and Human Security in Southeast Asia", and when questioned about the ASEAN response to the Rohingyan issue, his response was typically diplomatic and evasive. I'm sure it would be the same for the Hmong.

I know it isn't Thailand's job to take care of refugees from other countries, but sometimes human interest must come before national interest. :D

ASEAN exist as any other governmental body might. Shouldn't really expect them to live by or practice such lofty credos. Ethnic minorities, whom have been around since the dawn of time, have historically been treated shabbily and with high distain for centuries throughout SE Asia. Frankly, this is a common trait portrayed around the world by domineering mainstream cultures. A pox on their collective houses, I say.... :)

Achaan Thongchai explores this, amongst several other themes, in his book Siam Mapped, a must read.

Agreed. Professor Thonchai Winichakul presents another truthful and objective search regarding contemorary Thai historiography. Well received throughout Thai Studies circles and predictablly banned here.......

Achaan Thongchai explores this, amongst several other themes, in his book Siam Mapped, a must read.

Agreed. Professor Thonchai Winichakul presents another truthful and objective search regarding contemorary Thai historiography. Well received throughout Thai Studies circles and predictablly banned here.......

Siam Mapped banned where? It was reprinted by Silkworm Books, Chiang Mai in 2004 and I got a copy in Asia Books, BKK in 2008.

Never mind the history - get those kids out of Nong Khai Immigration Detention Centre - they are locked up like animals for 22 hours a day!

Why there are not more, socially minded, humane adults from the rest of the world shouting from the roof tops about this, I will never understand.

CIA could help solve the Hmong stalemate

The United States should offer some technical assistance to Thailand and Laos to handle the issue of Hmong refugees being sheltered in Phetchabun's Ban Huay Nam Khao and detained in Nong Khai to help them lead new lives faster.

Walking through, smiling and issuing press statements to voice humanitarian concerns will not help them escape their bad situation.

Samuel Witten, principal deputy assistant secretary for the State Department's Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration, led a US delegation to visit the Hmong both in Phetchabun and Nong Khai last week but again failed to make any change for the ethnic minority.

His visit did not help solve the problem but made the issue more complicated, as some Hmong misunderstood that Washington had sent a signal to take them for resettlement in the US .

continued http://www.nationmultimedia.com/topstory/3...Hmong-stalematenationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 03/08/09

CIA could help solve the Hmong stalemate

The United States should offer some technical assistance to Thailand and Laos to handle the issue of Hmong refugees being sheltered in Phetchabun's Ban Huay Nam Khao and detained in Nong Khai to help them lead new lives faster.

Walking through, smiling and issuing press statements to voice humanitarian concerns will not help them escape their bad situation.

Samuel Witten, principal deputy assistant secretary for the State Department's Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration, led a US delegation to visit the Hmong both in Phetchabun and Nong Khai last week but again failed to make any change for the ethnic minority.

His visit did not help solve the problem but made the issue more complicated, as some Hmong misunderstood that Washington had sent a signal to take them for resettlement in the US .

continued http://www.nationmultimedia.com/topstory/3...Hmong-stalematenationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 03/08/09

The CIA? Thanks, but no. They instigated and underwrote the problem to begin with. Doesn't anyone know their contemporary history...??

That's about their level, buyllying a bunch of Peasants...

Agree on that, but what is even worse is how the Meo/Hmong were basically cast adrift by the CIA at the end of the secret war.

Agree on that, but what is even worse is how the Meo/Hmong were basically cast adrift by the CIA at the end of the secret war.

Not entirely true.

I tutored scores of Hmong in the USA who were taken there out of Thai concentration camps, specifically because of their support in the Vietnam war era.

Tens of thousands of Hmong who've settled in Washington State, Stockton CA, and Minnesota were brought and cared for until they got on their feet economically. They were given express treatment as to green cards and citizenship to speed their integration into American society. Several other countries also received Hmong refugees, but the USA brought the lion's share into their country.

Granted, not all the Hmong made it, and there are currently active movements in the USA, headed by both Hmong and non-Hmong political leadership to bring the rest of the refugees out of their precarious situation. The only problem is that Thailand is blocking their efforts. Thailand rather wants to expatriate them, which will mean either certain death or worse-than-concentration-camp treatment. They're definitely between a rock and a hard place.

But don't tell me that they were "cast adrift." More melodrama than truth.

One of my best Hmong friends in the USA proudly flashes his honorary CIA (retired) ID card at every opportunity, to show his connection the USA's efforts in Indo-China, and is very vocal about his gratefulness to the USA for its efforts to bring him out of a difficult circumstance at the end of the war. This, of course, happened following about 5 years of hellish life in the Thai concentration camps of the north.

Edited by toptuan

Not entirely true.

I tutored scores of Hmong in the USA who were taken there out of Thai concentration camps, specifically because of their support in the Vietnam war era.

Tens of thousands of Hmong who've settled in Washington State, Stockton CA, and Minnesota were brought and cared for until they got on their feet economically. They were given express treatment as to green cards and citizenship to speed their integration into American society. Several other countries also received Hmong refugees, but the USA brought the lion's share into their country.

Granted, not all the Hmong made it, and there are currently active movements in the USA, headed by both Hmong and non-Hmong political leadership to bring the rest of the refugees out of their precarious situation. The only problem is that Thailand is blocking their efforts. Thailand rather wants to expatriate them, which will mean either certain death or worse-than-concentration-camp treatment. They're definitely between a rock and a hard place.

But don't tell me that they were "cast adrift." More melodrama than truth.

One of my best Hmong friends in the USA proudly flashes his honorary CIA (retired) ID card at every opportunity, to show his connection the USA's efforts in Indo-China, and is very vocal about his gratefulness to the USA for its efforts to bring him out of a difficult circumstance at the end of the war. This, of course, happened following about 5 years of hellish life in the Thai concentration camps of the north.

Okay TT, there were obviously a significant number that got out, and went to live in the USA - as they should have been entitled to considering there support of the CIA, however those that were left behind have had to endure a pretty tough time of it -which hasn't been helped by Thailand's stance. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest, but the plight of the Hmong is pretty well documented, and is a sad story.

Hello, I hope this story will have a happy ending as all people should have a better life. It would be good for the US to take more of the people in after they can teach the people more survival skills to live in the US, and they will have a small support structure with many other Hmong there so it will not be as hard for them. I say good luck to them, and I hope the governments of the world will help the poor people more. Cheers.

Hmong say they won't go back

Writer: THANIDA TANSUBHAPOL

Published: 8/08/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: NewsPHETCHABUN : Leaders of the Lao Hmong refugees insist they will not go back to Laos despite assurances from the Lao government they will be safe.

Hmong children at Ban Huay Nam Khao camp in Phetchabun province listen to a speech given by a visiting senior Lao government official who yesterday tried to persuade around 4,700 Hmong to return to Laos. PATTANAPONG HIRUNARD

Ka, one of the Hmong leaders at Ban Huay Nam Khao camp in Khao Kho district, yesterday said the Hmong did not want to return to Laos as they feared they would be persecuted.

The Hmong helped the US Central Intelligence Agency fight the communist Pathet Lao movement in Laos before Vientiane fell in 1975 and later sought political asylum and resettlement in third countries.

The 37-year-old Hmong leader also called on the UN refugee agency and the US government to help solve the problem of thousands of Hmong staying at the army-run camp.

continued postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 08/08/09http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/21672/hmong-say-they-won-t-go-back

Hmong pay return visit to urge others to resettle

The Lao government is sending Hmong refugees who have resettled in Laos to convince others at a Thai refugee camp to return to their homeland.

Refugee Kayua sae Yang, who now lives in Laos, said while she was grateful for the kind treatment she received while living in Thailand, she was glad to leave what felt like a "prison".

The Lao government has sent Mrs Kayua, 55, back to Ban Huay Nam Khao camp in Phetchabun's Khao Kho district to persuade other Hmong who remain at the camp to return home. continued

She was accompanied by Buaxieng Champaphan, co-chairman of the Thai-Lao general border subcommittee

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/2177...ers-to-resettlepostlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 10/08/09

Clinton, Webb Talks To Stop Laos, Hmong Refugee Crisis in Thailand Praised

"It is certainly good news, and a huge step forward, that Secretary of State Clinton has personally expressed to the Thai foreign minister her concern for the plight of Hmong refugees in Thailand who are threatened with forcible repatriation to Laos," said B. Jenkins Middleton, Esq., in Washington, D.C.

(Media-Newswire.com) - Bangkok, Thailand and Washington, D.C., August 10, 2009 - U.S. Secretary of State Clinton, in her recent visit to the meeting in Thailand of the Association of South East Asian Nations ( ASEAN ), has raised the plight of some 5,000 Hmong who have fled brutal repression in Laos and sought refuge in Thailand. The move by Clinton in opposition to the forced repatriation of Lao Hmong political refugees back to the communist regime in the Lao Peoples Democratic Republic ( LPDR ) that they fled was again lauded in Washington, D.C., and Capitol Hill by policy experts, scholars and advocates. The diplomatic and U.S. Congressional action precede U.S. Senator Jim Webb’s ( D-VA ) visit to Thailand, Laos, Burma and Southeast Asia nations this week.

Senator Webb, in addition to high-level security, trade and others issues, is expected to raise concerns about human rights violations in Laos and Thailand against Lao Hmong refugees and political and religious dissidents. Many of the Lao Hmong refugees fleeing persecution in Laos to Thailand served with U.S. military and clandestine units during the Vietnam War.

continued http://www.stumbleupon.com/s/#2rtJLG/media...e_1096028.html/

Cease Forced Repatriation of Hmong Refugees in Thailand

by Mike Rhodes ( editor [at] fresnoalliance.com )

Tuesday Aug 11th, 2009 5:55 PM

After the Vietnam War, a significant number of Hmong refugees from Laos settled in Fresno, Merced, and the Central Valley. The Hmong are about 10% of the population in Fresno, moved here to be near family members, and many work on small farms. The Hmong were US allies in the Vietnam War, which resulted in a relaxed immigration and citizenship policy for them. But not all of the Hmong left Southeast Asia. Many are now held in Thailand refugee camps, with 4,700 in one camp. The Thai government is threatening to repatriate them to Laos. Mai Summer Vue, a spokesperson for the group - Hmong American Community United held a press conference in Fresno today. Photo below: Mai Summer Vue.

continued http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/08/11/18615393.php