Live Rugby League

WEMBELEE! WEMBELEE!

We're going to Wembelee...

Only eight months to go, and the draw for the preliminary and first rounds of the Challenge Cup is .. drawn.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/24102/preliminary-and-first-round-challenge

Edinburgh Eagles are on their way to Stanley, Wakefield on the weekend of 4th / 5th February, and hopefully, to

Seaton Rangers OR Huddersfield Underbank Rangers a fortnight later, on a path that could end at Wembley on 25th August 2012. Or more likely, much earler...

SC

• 2 weeks later...

Hey rugby fans- good news (maybe).

On truesport extra 1 (107) they are running an ad that says "don't miss great rugby contents from setanta sports channel starting jan 1, 2012!

I got my Astro working again, but I don't have the schedules for February yet. I reckon I can;'t afford to go back, even if I could combine the Edinburgh Eagles first round tie at Stanley, the Wire at Hull for gloating rights with Smokie, and the Calcutta Cup; but if the Eagles get to Wembley in August I'll be there...

SC

• 1 month later...

Widnes v Wakefield

I've had too much Guinness Extra Stout (Let's face it - picking the cans up in 7-11 is too much!)

"I wouldn;t like to be a video referee, it's a 20 metre restart, Widnes still leading 6 points to 4, wherever you are, Park Road or 'll Abu Dhabi and you'll have me and Ray French on the commentary..."

My apologies for those who are not interested, but why did you come here?

Let's see Widnes establish themselves in the top league of rugby

SC

Widnes v Wakefield

I've had too much Guinness Extra Stout (Let's face it - picking the cans up in 7-11 is too much!)

"I wouldn;t like to be a video referee, it's a 20 metre restart, Widnes still leading 6 points to 4, wherever you are, Park Road or 'll Abu Dhabi and you'll have me and Ray French on the commentary..."

My apologies for those who are not interested, but why did you come here?

Let's see Widnes establish themselves in the top league of rugby

SC

Carry on SC...

and Widnes "have prised open that Wakefield defence" 10-4 to the Vikings with two more on offer '''" H e took thrree men out on the play " "Yes he did, Alan" Ray French is having a great game, by the way, boys. 10-4 'with berley taim to staart'

"A very interesting first half, as you say , Alan, with two sides completely ... and two sides very evenly balanced"

I have to say that the league is far more entertaining than Union on the wireless

"Let's hope the smiles are still theur at full time"

"Stay tuned to Radio Merseyside...

Smokie - are you ready for the trouble on Sunday? Tomorrow, Ray French is off to London v St Helens, and then, the big one on Sunday !

HULL FC v WIRE

SC

Well, I shouldn't have gone to bed when I did. It seems without my support over the internet, they just went to pieces

Widnes 14-32 Wakefield

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/16834735

I'll need to be sure and watch the whole of the Calcutta Cup tonight,..

SC

See what happens when there's no Irn Bru in the shops?

I'm glad I didn't go back for the weekend, now.

Stanley Rangers v Edinburgh Eagles in the Challenge Cup postponed till next week due to frozen pitch...

SC

After some messing about, I've managed to get Ray French "and Alan" - I don;'t know Alan's surname, maybe someone else can fill me in ...

Anyway, Alan sounds like he's been gargling gravel and Ray's a bit quiet.

"The score line is reading Hull FC 4 Warrington 10" in a gravelly sort of tone, after 30 minutes

"Warrington are having to keep that door shut and they're having a devil of a time doing it..."

"ooh...ohh..aaaa...ha ha... we were just about to praise one of the lads as he puts a little grubber through and he's dropped the ball and Warrington have got the ball"

And Ray French's blood pressure shoots through the roof as Hull make a break down the wing but he was bundled into touch with some desperate defending

And Hull have come back into the game to level the scores a few minutes before half-time.

And while Alan is distracted by the teleprinter, reading scores from the other grounds, Warrington take a terrific try "and what a time to score, within seconds of conceding one ... as Ray says, right from the other end, Warrington has prised open this Hull defence"

"If Warrington continue to move this ball, I do not see Hull containing them"

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Allan Rooney.

And they're back after the oranges and "I think Hull has scored in the corner - it looks like Will Sharpe to me, Warrington taking it a little bit too easily and Hull have narrowed the gap with the conversion to come... Tom Briscoe, sorry, wrong wing ... a shock for Warrington, a little bit too casual" "They certainly were, Ray". Conversion trickles under the cross bar "and just two points separating them, it's anyone's game, Ray".

And Warrington have knocked on on their own 20 metre line (' a little bit casual' and 'young Nicholas has been bundled over, good work by the Warrington wing man, and this time Warrington will come up with the ball from the scrum' and 'the scrum goes down again for the third time in as many minutes' and Hull have a penalty and Warrington are pinned inside their 20 metre area...'. Warrington need their big guns back - and this young boy, Danny Nicholas, he looked for support and Danny Tickle again, roaring onto the pass, has scored to take the lead. Its been a little bit scrappy from Tony Smith's side, and this young boy, Danny Nicholas, has timed his pass to perfection"

"... and Warrington are stopped a metre short, desperate defence from Hull... (an opportunity gone, Ray)... and the Hull crowd roar as if it was Christmas Day... and 'Come on you Hull' ringing round this stadium..."

And Ray and Allan are beside themselves as "the ball was knocked on, it was off-side, it was everywhere" but Warrington have the ball, and now Hull find themselves back on their 20 metre line. "Hull the side with the ball, Hull the side with the lead, and Hull content to play out the tackles and boot the ball downfield". Hull lead 20 - 16 with seven minutes to go...looking for their first win in this fixture since 2007. "Oh HE'S SCORED... no he hasn't and Hull atacking for their dear lives, Warrington kick out from under their posts, and Hull knock on; Ray makes it five and a half minutes remaining.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Penalty to Warrington, and Richie Myler boots it up to the Hull 20 metre line for another set of six... Allan is beside himself as Trent Waterhouse passes instead of going in himself, and Warrington have spurned a magnificient opportunity "I don't think he knew where he was, he was in the clear!"

"Can Warrington get to the other end of the field? Hull swarming all over them... so Warrington boot it downfield... Warrington now have possession Michael Monaghan going to go himself and its a penalty to Warrington Gareth carvel checked a metre from the try line, Richie Myler still five metres from the try line, ..... last tackle the kick comes in a ricochet and its a drop out.

Warrington on the 30 metre line with two and a half minutes to go , Bridge feeds AND ITS TRY TIME IN THE KC and he has the Warrington fans jumping up in the air... what a game, Alan, great entertainment from both sides, 20 points apiece with the goal kick to come... a draw would be a terrific result for both teams, Allan" "You couldn't disagree with that as a neutral, Ray" and the flags are waved away, and maybe there is not time for either side to claim victory? Warrington, with 30 seconds remaining, have got to make sure they do not make ANY mistakes. Ten seconds remain ... and there is the final whistle, Warrington coming back in stoppage time ... satisfactory for both sides to get that draw. Hull 20 - Warrington 20"

Pitch inspection at 3.45 GMT to see if the Challenge Cup tie - Stanley Rangers v Edinburgh Eagles - goes ahead; I don't think I'll stay up for that (the inspection).

Hoping for live coverage (score updates anyway) on Twitter tomorrow... if its postponed again the suspense will kill me (not literally - you should all be so lucky!) and then on Sunday Warrington v London, as a welcome alternative to Scotland in the Millenium Stadium... If its on, I'll probably watch the latter from behind the sofa, with the Wire commentary on the wireless.

SC

Pitch inspection at 3.45 GMT to see if the Challenge Cup tie - Stanley Rangers v Edinburgh Eagles - goes ahead; I don't think I'll stay up for that (the inspection).

Hoping for live coverage (score updates anyway) on Twitter tomorrow... if its postponed again the suspense will kill me (not literally - you should all be so lucky!) and then on Sunday Warrington v London, as a welcome alternative to Scotland in the Millenium Stadium... If its on, I'll probably watch the latter from behind the sofa, with the Wire commentary on the wireless.

SC

I suspect both may be off judging from the fuzz on my telly today.

SC

I suspect both may be off judging from the fuzz on my telly today.

Its just that it hasn't shaved. A quick skim with a Mach 3 and it'll be fine. Referee says Lee Moor Road ground fit to play, so its all on for 1.30 this afternoon.

Live! Score updates on twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/edineagles. Maybe.

SC

I bet you're all raging about the Edinburgh Stanley game being postponed again.

I'm listening to Wigan Leeds on the wireless, on Radio Leeds, so no Ray French, nor Allan Rooney (not at all, Allan; we're neither ov ooz theur). Still no score, coming up to fifteen minutes.

SC

EDIT: Half time - 12 Wigan - Leeds 0

Edited by StreetCowboy

The NRL starts in 3 weeks. Will you be as enthused about that?

I've never been able to get into English league somehow, but watching NRL makes me want to jump the fence and join in..

I never really got into the NRL. I would watch a Brisbane Broncos game if it was on, but I never really got excited about it. I do try and catch the State of Origin games, though.

SC

Helpmagoodness! 0 - Warrington London - 4...now 6

with a bit of Fench - I don't think the deputy is Allen Rooney

"Here's Lee Briers, Here's Chris Bridge and it looks from the way the Warrington Lads..'

"da da da da. Da da da da" (that's Tom Hark, by the way)

".. and Warrington have got themselves on the score sheet"

and in the other code, the Wales Scotland game is not on TV, so I'm following that on the BBC Text Commentary, which seems a bit lacking this weekend...

Warrington don't sound like they are putting London to the sword, this afternoon; 25 minutes and its still Warrington 4 - London 6.

The other chap in the commentary box is Mickey Higham. Allan Rooney's there as well, but I think he's frightened to try and take it off Mickey...

" .to Lee Briers, to Grix to Joel Monaghan and he's over - typical Lee Briers"

Stop mumbling Michael, I can't hear a word you're saying (I sound just like my mother, don't I?) Wire 10-4 Broncos

and Warrington seem to be picking up the pace a little "looking for a bit of daylight..."

"Six more tackles to Broncos just in front, so Warrington need to keep that door shut.... over the try line, has he got that ball down, but the referee says he hasn't... Gower puts boot to ball and would you believe it comes off a Warrington player and that's six more to the Broncos... but that's a mistake... ... ... and penalty to Warrington." Tightest defence in the league last season, by the way.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Wales v Scotland is on my TV Its 3 nil to the sweatys.

Sent from stoney's iPad using ThaiVisa app

BBC Text seems about ten minutes off the pace...

".. but we can still rise now..."

I might rise shortly to get another tiger out the fridge

and back OT Warrington in for the try "can Bennie Westwood make it even better for Warrington from right out on the touch line ... it looks good, but is it very very good? It is... the flags are up 16-6"

Edited by StreetCowboy

My last edits got lost - an end-to-end try started off by Ryan Atkins, finished up by Ryan Atkins...

and Broncos score a second try a minute and a half before half time, to make it 22-10

at the Martin Dawes end of the Halliwell Jones.

Do you really think all that whistling puts the kickers off? Or does it just encourage them?

SC

Edit: I've found a better BBC text commentary page, as well... sounds like Scotland are getting right down Wales' throat to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory again...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Seems like the other end of the Halliwell Jones doesn't have a name...

Anyway, Warrington are attacking the Martin Dawes end, so its probably only academic for this half... (here's hoping...!)

Wolves (that's Wire, for us codgers) penalised and Broncos have a penalty... touch on the Warrington 30 metre line ... " but they've spilled the ball... Chris Bridges snaps up the pieces" Its all gone quiet!

(oh at last, I hear you say)

Let me adjust the wireless (twiddle my knob, as we used to say)

and in that brief interlude of silence Warrington pick up another try

" ... and can he get over himself? Its another try! "...very impressive... and Warrington have really taken the game to the broncos 32 - 10"

... "A magical try at the Halliwell Jones - it started with Ratchford, it finished with Ratchford, tell us about it Mickey Higham"

" well.... " and that's the last word I could make out from Mickey, over the noise of the crowd - Speak Up Man!

I think I might stop looking at the other page... Wales 20, 6 Scotland...

SC

Edit: I should follow my own advice... Wales 27 - 6 Scotland.

If this goes on much longer, the game could be beyond us. Perhaps we might have done better if we'd not had two players in the sin-bin...

Edited by StreetCowboy

And its try time again - in both stadia

Welshman Lee Briers converts his own try to make it 44-10, and Scotland pull a try back to make it Wales 27 - 13; Scotland's first try in five games...

"That's the end of a terrific afternoon's entertainment, and, Mickey Higham, you knew you this was a game you could win, but perhaps not 50 -10"

Looking good for another great season...

and elsewhere, less happy news (unless you're Welsh, like Lee Briers)

Scotland eschew an easy penalty in front of the posts, but can't force their way over the tryline but it ends 27-13

and elsewhere elsewhere, Huddersfield welcome Widnes to the Big Boys League with a 66-6, after last week's defeat by Wakefield in Widnes

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Well, that was frustrating...

Contrary to their BBC web site rugbuy league page, Radio Merseyside were droning on and on about roundball scores.

So after some more messing about, got the Wolves Giants game on Radio Leeds; no Tigers tonight, to save money, amongst other reasons... so I've missed the first half hour and the first three tries...

I don't understand how Danny Brough can now play for England, after previously playing for Scotland... Anyway, he's having a good game with a try and two conversions...

Anyway, normal service is resumed, and Warrington now lead 14 - 12

Edit: and that score stands at the oranges...

SC

elsewhere...

And the Wembley goalposts are safe for another year

Stanley Rangers 60 - 22 Edinburgh Eagles

on the third trip down to Wakefield after two last-minute postponements...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Then at 6 pm GMT Radio Leeds switched to Northern Soul, and Radio Merseyside had a phone-in show for scousers to whinge about soccer, so I hung up my laundry and went to bed.

Luckily, Warrington managed without me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/17031510

Huddersfield Giants 22-32 Warrington Wolves

In the other code, the Edinburgh and Glasgow seemed to have lost their momentum - what have you done to our boys, Andy?

SC

So I'm listening to the Hull KR v St Helens game; 8 tries in the first half, with Rovers leading by two conversions, but St Helens score twice in the first few minutes of the new half.

And the tries keep coming - Hull KR go back in front with their 6th try - 36-30 (also 6 tries)

SC

And St Helens score with 6 minutes to go... and the ball comes off the cross-bar to leave Hull KR ahead by two minutes... and with the last kick of the game - after the hooter, "from 30 metres out, Jamie Foster, ten metres out from the left upright - now then, Jamie Foster has he got his kicking boots on, and the flags - they're up! and we're all square!"

Hull KR 36 - 36 St Helens

and I've got work in the morning...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Two cracking upsets for the books last night, and all the time I was safe and peacefully tucked up in bed.

St Helens 32-34 Catalan Dragons

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/17106976

Salford 24-22 Hull FC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/17106733

That's the last time I sleep on a Friday night...

SC

So I'm listening to the Hull KR v St Helens game; 8 tries in the first half, with Rovers leading by two conversions, but St Helens score twice in the first few minutes of the new half.

And the tries keep coming - Hull KR go back in front with their 6th try - 36-30 (also 6 tries)

SC

And St Helens score with 6 minutes to go... and the ball comes off the cross-bar to leave Hull KR ahead by two minutes... and with the last kick of the game - after the hooter, "from 30 metres out, Jamie Foster, ten metres out from the left upright - now then, Jamie Foster has he got his kicking boots on, and the flags - they're up! and we're all square!"

Just think what it was like for us kr fans

SC

Just think what it was like for us kr fans

I'm not surprised you've been speechless for a week...

I'll be listening to the Hull KR - Warrington game on Sunday; I hope Radio Merseyside give it their full attention...

Good luck with the re-application, by the way!

SC