Any Place To Buy Kayaks In Laos?

anotheruser

As the thread suggest I want to buy some kayaks in Laos. The location could be anywhere in the country. I am looking for the sit on top touring ones that hold two people. These are what the tour companies are typically using. I am also interested in other varieties of kayaks such as whitewater etc. So any info is appreciated but my primary focus is on ones that can be used for tours.

The reason I don't buy them in Thailand is I am afraid of getting slapped with some crazy import taxes. Does anybody living in Laos know what the tax actually is? I have heard many different things from 20% to 100% for import duties. I suppose I could sneak them in one at a time as my 'personal' kayak as I have done with bicycles but if I show up at the border with 6 kayaks they are sort of hard to tuck in my bags. LOL

As the thread suggest I want to buy some kayaks in Laos. The location could be anywhere in the country. I am looking for the sit on top touring ones that hold two people. These are what the tour companies are typically using. I am also interested in other varieties of kayaks such as whitewater etc. So any info is appreciated but my primary focus is on ones that can be used for tours.

The reason I don't buy them in Thailand is I am afraid of getting slapped with some crazy import taxes. Does anybody living in Laos know what the tax actually is? I have heard many different things from 20% to 100% for import duties. I suppose I could sneak them in one at a time as my 'personal' kayak as I have done with bicycles but if I show up at the border with 6 kayaks they are sort of hard to tuck in my bags. LOL

How about you just wander up to Vang Vieng and ask a couple of the kayak tour and rental shops if they happen to have excess these days of reduced tourist supply.

I was through VV last Wednesday for lunch and while there were a fair number of farangs wandering around, sure looked light a lighter load than earlier times.

Mac

Well I live far from there. That isn't the real issue however, why don't I just wander up to places in Don Det and ask? The reason for this is no business will help somebody they think will be competing against them. Everything is a big secret in Laos when you do business. The answers i get or 'Idon't know' or 'very expensive'. People in Lao do not generally give out their sources. I can understand when the guy I asked for kayaks and where to find an ipstar internet machine came and asked me where do I get my bacon, salami, cheese and wine. I just laughed and said very expensive somwhere in Thaialnd. LOL

You can't expect the businesses I am intending to directly compete with to give me straight answers can you?

• 12 years later...

I had 2 kayaks the I toured Thailand with. It was suggested to me if I had put them on the roof of my truck and just driven into Thailand they would have had no problem. 

I didn't in the end but wish I had - there are great leks to kayak etc.

It might be worth a try though - I wonder especially at one of the quieter crossings whether anyone could be bothered.

If you can be bothered to read through, there is a mention of Kayaks in this.

Compendium of Temporary Admission Practices of ASEAN ...

Edited by Thunglom