Royal Garden Plaza Receives 300 Million Baht Improvements

sriracha john

Minor gives its Pattaya mall B300m facelift as race heats up

Minor International Plc (MINT) will be ready to compete head-on with other giant retailers in Pattaya after its 300-million-baht facelift of Royal Garden Plaza is completed in October.

Competition in the resort city has intensified since hypermarket chains moved in over the last five years. Rivalry further intensified with the recent arrival of the two giant retail developers, Central Pattana Plc (CPN) and Siam Future Development Plc (SF).

CPN's Central Festival Beach Pattaya is on the same road as Royal Garden Plaza while SF's community mall is just across the road.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/retail...s-race-heats-up

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-13

Minor International Plc (MINT) will be ready to compete head-on with other giant retailers in Pattaya after its 300-million-baht facelift of Royal Garden Plaza is completed in October.

Competition in the resort city has intensified since hypermarket chains moved in over the last five years. Rivalry further intensified with the recent arrival of the two giant retail developers, Central Pattana Plc (CPN) and Siam Future Development Plc (SF).

CPN's Central Festival Beach Pattaya is on the same road as Royal Garden Plaza while SF's community mall is just across the road.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/retail...s-race-heats-up

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-13

nothing wrong with it now except for the food court at the top

It's gorn !

Really? They had moved to a higher floor a long time ago. It used to be on the first floor. I don't go to RGP anymore but I would be surprised if they closed the Watsons. Now I go directly to Central Pattaya Beach for just about everything I need in a mall.

Went to Watson's while I was in RGP last week, before flying to VN.

It's gorn ! Some clothes/shoe shop there instead.

Disaster - I only had 72 hours in LOS between postings.

Luckily I can buy my Colgate toothpaste in Saigon, though.

Yes, its disappearance got me as well. I thought I was mistaken and checked the floor plans.

However there is a branch at the new Central Festival Centre.

Went to Watson's while I was in RGP last week, before flying to VN.

It's gorn ! Some clothes/shoe shop there instead.

I know you've got me on ignore dude, but Watsons is now on the 3rd floor near the entrance escalators.

I thought this was retail suicide. It's a bigger store, but no one can find it now.

while SF's community mall is just across the road.

I assume SF community is the Avenue mall then.Do they see them as competitors? :):D

At least the Avenue has got Villa Market, I don't find any reason at all to go in RGP any more. :D

I quite like this mall, it's atrium-concept, many small shops, boutiques, food stalls, cafe's - not just dominated by one Mega-Store...not the typical repeat it over and over again Tesco/Lotus/BigSee?/Carrefour chain stuff....

For an expat RGP is as boring as Central. Been to Central last week (as they were advertising their Jeans Weeks). Could not see anything related to that, not much at least.

The problem with all these shopping centers all have the same branches and all look similar. I miss small boutiques that you can still find in Europe.

I like Villa in the Anvenue, for sure but it is the only reason to go there besides the Apple Store and the hairdresser (forgot the name), right at the entrance to Avenue / Villa from the outside parking.

It's gorn !

Really? They had moved to a higher floor a long time ago. It used to be on the first floor. I don't go to RGP anymore but I would be surprised if they closed the Watsons. Now I go directly to Central Pattaya Beach for just about everything I need in a mall.

There is a <Boots> upstairs on the first floor (UK-wise), bu I prefe Watsons - not so many own-brand lower-quality / higher-price goods. And snooty assistants.

It's gorn !

There is a <Boots> upstairs on the first floor (UK-wise), bu I prefe Watsons - not so many own-brand lower-quality / higher-price goods. And snooty assistants.

Somebody please put Humphrey out of his misery and tell him that Watsons is still alive and well on the 3rd floor (USA -wise), or 2nd floor (UK -wise).

It's gorn !

It seems that Watsons has now moved to the 3rd floor of Royal Garden Mall (the food floor). I was there this morning and was shocked to see the Internet Centre on the 1st floor has been boarded up along with Cerrutti Jeans on the corner.

It seems that Watsons has now moved to the 3rd floor of Royal Garden Mall (the food floor).

Is it actually there now, or does it only seem to be there?

A few months back it was there and I shopped in there.

FYI: McDonalds at The Avenue charges 12b for a chocolate cone dip. McDonalds at RGP charges 20b for the exact same thing. Burger King also has several raised rates at RGP.

But you cannot get cheesy fries at McDonalds at The Avenue. :)

FYI: McDonalds at The Avenue charges 12b for a chocolate cone dip. McDonalds at RGP charges 20b for the exact same thing. Burger King also has several raised rates at RGP.

But you cannot get cheesy fries at McDonalds at The Avenue. :D

Gather around children.......spit, spit......I remember a time, a long time ago......spit, spit......when RG was a great and busy place to hang out.....spit, spit........then, oh.......guess it was about 8 years ago.......spit, spit.......some high-falooten-big-shot fella decided to remodel it..........spit spit........well, he did it, and then it went downhill fast.........spit, spit.......and now, they want to remodel it again........spit, spit.........maybe the best action is to not mess with a good idea.......spit, spit.......but too late for that now.........spit, spit........enough history. Good night children. :)

A few years ago it had a reasonable food court and even an Italian restaurant at the top.

Paying 70 or 80 Baht for movies(you could even buy a beer with the popcorn) was great too.

Most movies aren't worth more than that anyways these days.

Now the only distinguishing thing is the Ripley's.

I wonder if the new Wax works exhibition will be dual price.... :) what do the rest of you think ?

The answer is yes; Ripley's is already dual priced, see this link for more info:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060916013434/...php?facility=30

if you have a Thai driving licence ,show it and they give you Thai price ,as i live in the country i dont see why i should pay a different price to my wife and child ,anywhere that still tries to charge me extra doesnt get my buisness.

what is the Grand Palace like ,only seen it from outside :D

• 4 months later...

Louis Tussaud article/advertisement in The Nation:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/11/22...el_30117092.php

"Tickets cost Bt300 for children, Bt400 for adults and Bt600 for foreigners."

Just wondering, why does Bill Heinecke have to be like all other greedy Thai business operators, i.e. adopting the Thai practice of ripping off foreigners? It would be illegal in most western countries (he is an American, well, at least he used to be an American; because now he has Thai citizenship).

Edited by Micke

Louis Tussaud article/advertisement in The Nation:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/11/22...el_30117092.php

"Tickets cost Bt300 for children, Bt400 for adults and Bt600 for foreigners."

Just wondering, why does Bill Heinecke have to be like all other greedy Thai business operators, i.e. adopting the Thai practice of ripping off foreigners? It would be illegal in most western countries (he is an American, well, at least he used to be an American; because now he has Thai citizenship).

It's not illegal in the United States. Both Florida and Hawaii charge more for out of state residents than for locals for many admissions.

If that is true what you are saying, it's a shame. But at least I and everyone else have the choice to avoid places charging us more than the locals, because everyone concerned can see for themselves the difference in admission.

What we see here at Ripley's and other places alike, is the deceit the business operators are practicing when using Thai numerals for the price meant for Thais, thus making it impossible for the ordinary tourists to know that they just have been cheated (they can hardly ever read Thai numerals).

See here for more information about this deceit practice:

www.bangkokscams.com

Considering the lower average income for thais compared to the typical tourist, I see absolutly no reason to get worked up about the double price scheme. Would it be better for you if the thais had to pay your price? Or is it just the fact that someone else get something you want that ticks you off?

xminator, I don't agree at all with what you are saying. Many Thais on holiday in Pattaya (from Bangkok) are very affluent, and rightfully quite a lot of the foreigners in Pattaya are not that rich. The average Thai, with average income, which you are mentioning, will not visit this place anyway since 400 Baht might be two days of hard labor for them.

And I want to pay the price which is (possibly) correct, namely 400 Baht. Even that seems a little bit too much, but 600 is of course way too much.

Anyway, have a look at this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Louis-Tussau...ks-t316395.html

and I quote raro, one of the moderators:

"fully agree, paying more as a foreigner for a commercial venture is a rip off. Places like that are best avoided."

Edited by Micke