How To Get A Body Into This ?

Vans

What ive said works for me, if i were to lift exceptionally heavy weights which i used to i end up looking like one of them them steroid freaks who walk around Pattaya, in the short term itll make you look good but after a while youll end up being fat as not many people are going to lift heavy weights for the rest of their lives and that extra muscle will turn to flab.

300 Situps isnt the same as doing 300 curls well unless you done the curls with extremely low weights if you done 3 different sections of your abs this would work.

As for Creatine, ive taken it several times and it just bloats you out by retaining water.

Muscle cannot turn to fat.  It is physically impossible.

Some ex-athletes do tend to get fat after they quit their sport of choice, but that is because they continue to eat as they did when they were active and expending all that energy, and now that they are less active, al those extra calories go to fat.

I am no expert on abs, but I agree with your commentn here.  Many men with those 6-packs swear by huge numbers of situps/crunches, so i would have to side with their opinions on this.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to remember we are talking about a beginner?No way his body could handle upper body exercises 3 times per week without steroids.

Why do you say that?

I began lifting in earnest in Iraq where the weather and a tendancy for people to shoot at you precluded many other types of exercise.  Granted, I had a basic fitness level, but I went into upper body workouts three times a week without taking any supplements, much less steroids.

The difference between now and then is that the weights I lifted were much lighter then, and now I have interjected a few other items in my routine that other people have shown me.

Jackman does not have an astronomical physique. The dude works out. Thats about it. Nothing about his size/fitness level is magazine cover worthy.

Jackman obviously has the looks and physique that is considered highly appealing to women throughout the world which is most likely the reason that he has appeared on hundreds of magazine covers throughout the world so the fact that you do not think he is cover worthy is likely to be highly irrelevant. Astronomical physiques, as you describe them, seem to appeal more to the bodybuilder magazines and men's musclehead crowd however to each his own as I prefer to have a physique that is attractive and appeals to the majority of mainstream women.

Everyone has the same muscle fiber type. The amount you have, you can change. The only thing that is different are the insertion points/attachment areas that are different. Hence the reason people have different appearing body's. Genetics allow some people to add mass/get lean exceptionally easily.

Although everyone has both slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fiber, they have different amounts or ratios of them in their body and you cannot change one type into the other. These muscle fibers have different characteristics in the human body, one of which is that bodies with more fast twitch tend to have bulkier muscles due to hypertrophy, whereas bodies with higher amounts of slow twitch are generally longer and thinner). I will agree with you however that insertion/attachment points determined by genetics also play a big part.

Just for arguments sake, why are you so opposed to steroids?

I have no interest in arguing the case about steroid use as everyone is entitled to treat or abuse their body in any way they see fit. In my case, I have perfect genetics and have trained naturally all my life with fantastic results so why would I not be opposed to most steroids which have nothing to offer me and in most cases, in my opinion, have not proven to be totally safe for long term use.

Hope I am not off topic here, I am certainly not interested in body building...........but the other day I was a bit disappointed not being able to find a website that describes simple excercises that can be done at home/at work without using equipment, preferably with illustrations to make clear how exactly to carry out those excercises.

Hope I am not off topic here, I am certainly not interested in body building...........but the other day I was a bit disappointed not being able to find a website that describes simple excercises that can be done at home/at work without using equipment, preferably with illustrations to make clear how exactly to carry out those excercises.

Its a bit hard because without any equipment its hard to do exercises. Even for things like skip rope you need a rope. There are some exercises you can do but without weights it will be hard to increase resistance.

Bodybuilding and fitness are in a way the same but bodybuilders just go on where fitness stops. There isnt much difference between the two actually except intensity .

After this onslaught from the fat naysayers, the OP must be suitably depressed and on his 7th Chang! Salute!

Bubba

True it isn't really positive but i think its better to tell him what is possible then lie to him.

You have to remember we are talking about a beginner?No way his body could handle upper body exercises 3 times per week without steroids.

Why do you say that?

I began lifting in earnest in Iraq where the weather and a tendancy for people to shoot at you precluded many other types of exercise. Granted, I had a basic fitness level, but I went into upper body workouts three times a week without taking any supplements, much less steroids.

The difference between now and then is that the weights I lifted were much lighter then, and now I have interjected a few other items in my routine that other people have shown me.

Okay,what i SHOULD have said is:No way I could do 3 upper body sets per week and expect growth.Still today this is true for me.I guess every body is different,i have always lifted heavy,but maybe my body just needs longer then yours to recover? Lucky bastard!! :) I bet indoor activities were popular in Iraq... :D

Jackman does not have an astronomical physique. The dude works out. Thats about it. Nothing about his size/fitness level is magazine cover worthy.

Jackman obviously has the looks and physique that is considered highly appealing to women throughout the world which is most likely the reason that he has appeared on hundreds of magazine covers throughout the world so the fact that you do not think he is cover worthy is likely to be highly irrelevant. Astronomical physiques, as you describe them, seem to appeal more to the bodybuilder magazines and men's musclehead crowd however to each his own as I prefer to have a physique that is attractive and appeals to the majority of mainstream women.

The reason Jackman is on magazine covers is because he is a Superstar Actor, not because he should be a fitness model. Seriously, US and Thailand, there are people everyday that have physiques much the same as Jackman, and they are not featured in fitness mags. I dont see the reason to drool over this physique, hes a millionare actor, with the best trainers/nutritionalists money can buy. And no, not bodybuilder mags, or "musclehead crowds" but the photo that started this thread is hardly amazing. This is my opinion.

Everyone has the same muscle fiber type. The amount you have, you can change. The only thing that is different are the insertion points/attachment areas that are different. Hence the reason people have different appearing body's. Genetics allow some people to add mass/get lean exceptionally easily.

Although everyone has both slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fiber, they have different amounts or ratios of them in their body and you cannot change one type into the other. These muscle fibers have different characteristics in the human body, one of which is that bodies with more fast twitch tend to have bulkier muscles due to hypertrophy, whereas bodies with higher amounts of slow twitch are generally longer and thinner). I will agree with you however that insertion/attachment points determined by genetics also play a big part.

Fast/Slow Fibers

Never said you could change from one to the other. I said the AMOUNT of Muscle and Size you CAN change. Regardless of if you are a skinny guy, or a big guy. You want bigger arms, chest, whatever, you can change it. Another guy might "genetically" have a bigger chest, but you can still change yours.

Just for arguments sake, why are you so opposed to steroids?

I have no interest in arguing the case about steroid use as everyone is entitled to treat or abuse their body in any way they see fit. In my case, I have perfect genetics and have trained naturally all my life with fantastic results so why would I not be opposed to most steroids which have nothing to offer me and in most cases, in my opinion, have not proven to be totally safe for long term use.

Fair enough.

Edited by Strange

Why do you say that?

I began lifting in earnest in Iraq where the weather and a tendancy for people to shoot at you precluded many other types of exercise. Granted, I had a basic fitness level, but I went into upper body workouts three times a week without taking any supplements, much less steroids.

Im not trying to flame, but can I ask you what your goals were, training upperbody 3X/week?

Seriously, just curious.

You can do kegels sitting at your desk :)

Seriously though, what are your aspirations? Or your goals?

You could have a look at Stronglifts 5x5 program at http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beg...aining-program/ . Its 3 full body style workouts per week and you should see some good strength gains in 3-6 months.. Coupled with a good diet you should also see some good size gains. The way it is structured means that, if you follow it correctly and don't ramp up the weight too early, you should avoid injuries or overtraining. Make sure that your form is correct on the exercises, especially squats and deadlifts or you could hurt yourself. Check out the videos and instructions carefully.

You aren't going to get a body like Hugh Jackmans in 5 months unless you previously trained regularly. What you must remember is he had very good personal trainers designing an individual program and nutritionists advising him what foods and supplements to take at the optimum times. He also had nothing to do all day except train, eat and sleep. The rest of us don't have that luxury.

Ya kidding - people here actually lie?! - incredulous - thought we had Big A dispensing wisdom here

Bubba

PS The serious ones simply do it - its like boomsing - just do it.

True it isn't really positive but i think its better to tell him what is possible then lie to him.

By the time the OP gets this sorted, it will be November. I suggest you put away the six pack dreams and concentrate on developing a sense of humour. Don't give up.

You know the old saying, "Your big guns may turn a head, but a mouth full of marbles will ensure you never get any". :)

do yourself a favor and get more knowledge before you start. Most of the things you are saying are wrong/ineffective. Training like this will lead you to being burned out and quitting before you see any real things happen. Time for a new battleplan, my friend.

Ive been in boxing gyms since i was a 14 yo kid and weight gyms since 22 i'm now 34, i have never read up on it but always go with what my body tells me is good or bad for it. It was in the boxing gym where we were taught to do endless situps as so when you get hit there it is strong enough to take it, not to look like a pretty boy.

I have barely exercised for a month now due to work commitments, but a couple of weeks back in the gym and i'll be in a similar shape to that bloke the OP posted so i must have been doing something write.

But whilst it is impossible for fat to turn to muscle or vice versa people who lift heavy weights then stop will on the whole end up flabby should they stop. In my experience a good long term balanced diet is all that is necessary expensive protein shakes arent needed...... and after taking creatine many times i now find it to be a waste of time though if i were an athlete i would take it as it does give you an edge .... but i go to the gym to keep fit not to torture myself.

do yourself a favor and get more knowledge before you start. Most of the things you are saying are wrong/ineffective. Training like this will lead you to being burned out and quitting before you see any real things happen. Time for a new battleplan, my friend.

Ive been in boxing gyms since i was a 14 yo kid and weight gyms since 22 i'm now 34, i have never read up on it but always go with what my body tells me is good or bad for it. It was in the boxing gym where we were taught to do endless situps as so when you get hit there it is strong enough to take it, not to look like a pretty boy.

I have barely exercised for a month now due to work commitments, but a couple of weeks back in the gym and i'll be in a similar shape to that bloke the OP posted so i must have been doing something write.

But whilst it is impossible for fat to turn to muscle or vice versa people who lift heavy weights then stop will on the whole end up flabby should they stop. In my experience a good long term balanced diet is all that is necessary expensive protein shakes arent needed...... and after taking creatine many times i now find it to be a waste of time though if i were an athlete i would take it as it does give you an edge .... but i go to the gym to keep fit not to torture myself.

Same as runners or boxers who stop training and keep on eating. Your arguments are not really strong its all about energy expenditure and energy intake.

Ill be in my gym soon and i do go to the edge i don't call that torture but a good workout. Ill see if i can do the full 4 x 8 with 115kg for bench press so far never really completed it. I always go till failure on bench press and other exercises. If i manage something then next time ill do it heavier. (while keeping form).

I havent taken creatine much but im going to try it and if it makes me work out harder then good for me. Nobody says you have to take it and you can have your opinion on it.

My body is far from perfect and soon ill be in a cutting phase again to burn some fat off so the muscles look better. It keeps me busy and i like doing it.

I still disagree about the abbs, im sure your way you get strong abs. But big abs you get by adding weight to it. But even so if your fat percentage is too high you will still not see them either way. Abs are made in the kitchen is a popular saying.

Not good advice here, I'm sorry to say.

Running for 45 mins 3 times a week may not be necessary for a hard gainer i.e. an ectomorph. Sure it'll keep you fit but it's likely to impede growth if anything.

300 situps every other day is entirely pointless. The abs are no different from any other muscle group in the body and therefore do not respond to excessive training any more than other muscles do. You wouldn't do 300 bicep curls every other day now would you? Quality, not quantity is the key with abdominal exercises.

Lifting weights that you aren't struggling with is unlikely to bring solid muscle growth. Muscles need to be overloaded in order for the fibres to break and grow back bigger and stronger. This simply does not happen with light weights / high reps. If you're NOT struggling to complete a set then you aren't sufficiently stressing the muscles and will see little change in them consequently.

Doing legs 3 times a week leaves little time for rest. Growth takes place during rest periods NOT during workouts.

Creatine is by no means a waste of money, it's scientifically proven to enhance performance and if you understand anything about energy processes within the body, then you'd know that creatine as an oral supplement can assist in the production of adenosine triphosphate through the phosphocreatine system.

That bloke in the picture doesnt look as if he lifts heavy weights more that he has worked out for a long time.

What ive said works for me, if i were to lift exceptionally heavy weights which i used to i end up looking like one of them them steroid freaks who walk around Pattaya, in the short term itll make you look good but after a while youll end up being fat as not many people are going to lift heavy weights for the rest of their lives and that extra muscle will turn to flab.

300 Situps isnt the same as doing 300 curls well unless you done the curls with extremely low weights if you done 3 different sections of your abs this would work.

As for Creatine, ive taken it several times and it just bloats you out by retaining water.

If you do legs upperbody 3 times a week each on alternative days this gives a day to rest and enable muscle to growth.

But different things work for different people you need to know your own body, but the guy who posted below who said consistency is important applies to everyone.

The other poster is right and you are not cant put it any other way.

300 situps is useless first you need to loose the fat around your wraist to see anything and there is no such thing as spot fat reduction. Your abs grow just like normal muscles you can use weights to make the situps heavier thus more effective.

To look like those steriod freaks is a hard task its not like you wake up one day and look in the mirror wow im huge. I wish it was that easy. You need to lift heavy weights to get muscles, you need to be struggeling with them. But what is heavy for a beginner isnt heavy for someone who is advanced. You should always add extra weights when it goes too easy. When i train im practically dead at the end of my session.

I have no opinion on creatine because for some it works for others it does not. Training your legs 3 times a week is also too much (unless your not hitting them hard enough).

About the muscle turning to fat that is impossible, what happens is that muscle shrinks a bit and if you keep eating the same amounts as when you were training then you go fat. The secret is too also eat less if you stop training, that isnt rocket science.

The guy in the pic isnt the guy who started posting the other guy was joking. Anyway any beginner should start off slowly but you can go heavy quite fast (as long as you do the exercise correct). With heavy i dont mean big weights but heavy that it cost the guy some effort and that he will break a sweat. Not heavy that he does the exercise wrong and damages muscles.

About running the other guy is correct too but it kinda depends if the guy is ecto or endo. I did not want to type all of this because going into details on a non fitness board is asking to be flamed.

Spot on.

300 situps is too much and risks damaging your lower back. There are safer, more efficient exercises to work your whole core, not just your abs, which is much more beneficial in the long run. Without a low bodyfat percentage no-one can see them anyway, so 300 is a waste of time.

Steroids are a supplement and are pointless unless you are putting in the hard work in the gym, eating right and resting. People seem to think that a quick injection and your muscles start popping out like Popeye after eating spinach :)

Creatine monohydrate is one of the most studied sports supplemements out and has been showed to be safe and effective if used correctly. However while I found it useful, other people I know didn't so it's up to you whether to give it a go or not.

Heavy is relative. A 50 kilo squat may be nothing compared to what a powerlifter can do, but if you are sweating and working hard to get the last couple of reps out, with good form, then you are training effectively.

For cardio and fatloss you could try Tabata training. It is very effective in increasing your VO2 max and anaerobic capacity. It also burns more calories and fat than low intensity steady state cardio, and raises your metabolic rate so you continue burning calories and fat long after you have stopped. It consists of 20 seconds at full pace on the treadmill/bike/rowing machine, followed by 10 seconds stationary, repeated 8 times. Doesn't sound much, but you will be panting after!!!!! Check out http://www.tabataprotocol.com/ .

^^^^^^

I dont want to be big thats what i said in the initial post, last year i accidently got to 88kg and im 5'9, and that guy doesnt look as if he's a weight lifter more someone who has spent his lifetime keeping fit and relatively strong.

Yes scientifically what youre saying is write about expenditure but in day to day life id say most of those big guys you see in the gym would be flabby as <deleted> when they stop lifting heavy weights, theyd need a huge change in diet aswell as needing to go running to stop going flabby, this doesnt happen.

A workout involving everything from running to boxing to weights to do medicine ball and (dips/pullup/pressup) exercises is what should be aspired to where possible.

@sanmiglight

Well, man, that is YOUR opinion. Fact is, that scientifically proven methods of weight training and diet are what should be aspired to. Especially when giving advice to people that have no idea, then they can make their own opinions.

Anyway, like I said, you just don't want to do the real work. You never looked like a steroid freak, and you were never a huge bodybuilder. How do I know this? Because your knowledge of training is nonexistent. You might go to the gym sometime but then you get bored/discouraged, then quit.

Take a look at crossfit.com for exercises.

you will find demo's and videos.

Most of the exercises can be done at home.

a lot of militairy, firemen etc use this to keep in shape and pass their fitness tests.

i have been getting good results with chinups, 1 legged bulgarian squats with a weighted backpack and pushups with a weighted backpack, sets to failure.

i've gained a ton of lean muscle mass with this routine and eating a lot, plus creatine supplimentation.

@sanmiglight

Well, man, that is YOUR opinion. Fact is, that scientifically proven methods of weight training and diet are what should be aspired to. Especially when giving advice to people that have no idea, then they can make their own opinions.

Anyway, like I said, you just don't want to do the real work. You never looked like a steroid freak, and you were never a huge bodybuilder. How do I know this? Because your knowledge of training is nonexistent. You might go to the gym sometime but then you get bored/discouraged, then quit.

Are you trying to tell me all scientists tell people to work out the steroid freak way with creatinge and supplements. And that scientists dont recommend running as part of a balanced workout? And that eating a healthy diet of fruit and veg and lean meat and rice and pasta needs to be supplemented with expensive protein shakes ....... you are aware that your body can get all the nutrients it needs from food alone. Im not saying protein shakes wont help in becoming bigger quicker but there is no need for them for the average guy who goes to the gym.

Doing your 4-8 reps of weights is a w4nkers way to get strong you end up looking like you walk with potatos under your arms, lift reasonable weights nice and slowly in the correct motion doing 10-15 reps is far better i can assure you will feel the burn after several reps.

But we are talking about getting healthy like the geezer on the pic not to become an angry steroid freak like you aspire to be, the reason i got so big was i get tendonitis in my knees and couldnt run or do leg exercises for 6 months hence only done upper body and became far too big but youd know far better wouldnt you.

As for you telling me i dont keep fit, well thanks for telling me all the effort i put in throughout my life was a waste and that i keep quitting, maybe that 6 weeks of intensive boxing training 3 days out of 4 in the summer heat of Pattaya April/May 09 never really happened.

Edited by sanmiguellight

@sanmiglight

Are you trying to tell me all scientists tell people to work out the steroid freak way with creatinge and supplements. And that scientists dont recommend running as part of a balanced workout? And that eating a healthy diet of fruit and veg and lean meat and rice and pasta needs to be supplemented with expensive protein shakes ....... you are aware that your body can get all the nutrients it needs from food alone. Im not saying protein shakes wont help in becoming bigger quicker but there is no need for them for the average guy who goes to the gym.

Doing your 4-8 reps of weights is a w4nkers way to get strong you end up looking like you walk with potatos under your arms, lift reasonable weights nice and slowly in the correct motion doing 10-15 reps is far better i can assure you will feel the burn after several reps.

But we are talking about getting healthy like the geezer on the pic not to become an angry steroid freak like you aspire to be, the reason i got so big was i get tendonitis in my knees and couldnt run or do leg exercises for 6 months hence only done upper body and became far too big but youd know far better wouldnt you.

As for you telling me i dont keep fit, well thanks for telling me all the effort i put in throughout my life was a waste and that i keep quitting, maybe that 6 weeks of intensive boxing training 3 days out of 4 in the summer heat of Pattaya April/May 09 never really happened.

All this bitching isn't doing the OP any favours. What he wanted was some advice on how to get big quick and your initial post offered advice that would be appropriate for someone wanting to maintain general fitness but not for someone looking to gain mass in a short period of time.

I couldn't agree with you more that staying in shape by cross training is a far more preferable option to just getting a hulk-like physique that would have you struggling to run for the bus. There is nothing wrong, however, with weight training to look good - after all isn't that the primary reason most people head for the gym? Indeed, we all suffer from vanity to some degree. Increasing fitness and improving general health is usually the secondary goal for most gym users.

I think the reason you've gotten so much flack in this thread is not necessarily that you offered bad advice but rather that you offered advice that wasn't appropriate to the OP's goals.

I think the reason you've gotten so much flack in this thread is not necessarily that you offered bad advice but rather that you offered advice that wasn't appropriate to the OP's goals.

Fair point, but i looked at that geezer in the pic and didnt think he got like that purely by lifting very heavy weight.

If i had my time over again id do a far more balanced work out regime with far less heavy weights, for a long time i was doing only heavy weights ie 120kg bench press, 50kg arm curls etc... 4 x 10 reps hence why i dont recommend this way of getting strong ..... its a very bad habit to get into.

Best to start as you mean to go on.

@sanmiguellight

It all depends what you want if you want mass then don't go much higher then 12 reps. Thats proven so giving advice otherwise is not helpfull for the OP.

Everyone is always talking about those hulking guys, i doubt that anyone that has posted in this thread (myself included) is really huge as in pro bodybuilder huge.

Those are the hulking guys and usually they do a lot of cardio work too. I do cardio work too it needs to be done. I might hate it but i do go on the crosstrainer.

I would be real supprised to see you do 4 x 8 with 120 kg benchpress. Not saying its impossible but its a great feat for someone in your weight class. I cant even do 4 x 8 115kg .. i just get to 6 at that last set. Not saying that im so strong.. but im a lot heavier.

Anyway in my routine dips and chin ups are at the core of it together with deadlifts and squats.

What you do is all and nice but its not for building muscle. But i could go on for years and never get close to those hulking guys and just look beach boy good. Only a few of us with the right genes and some help from other stuff can look like a pro bodybuilder. Its not even my goal to look like one i find it too big. Its actually quite hard to get too big unless you got great genes. You might be blessed with them but i think the majority isnt.

^^^^^^

I dont want to be big thats what i said in the initial post, last year i accidently got to 88kg and im 5'9, and that guy doesnt look as if he's a weight lifter more someone who has spent his lifetime keeping fit and relatively strong.

Yes scientifically what youre saying is write about expenditure but in day to day life id say most of those big guys you see in the gym would be flabby as <deleted> when they stop lifting heavy weights, theyd need a huge change in diet aswell as needing to go running to stop going flabby, this doesnt happen.

A workout involving everything from running to boxing to weights to do medicine ball and (dips/pullup/pressup) exercises is what should be aspired to where possible.

I think what you're describing is just a different body type. I am the same, I gain muscle and size fast but also fat. I can easily put on or lose 10 lbs in a month. I lift heavier than most. I agree for someone like me to stay in top shape it takes a lot of cardio. I found that 3 times Muay Thai or Boxing training a week will keep you in shape to the point where you can eat whatever you like and still be fit. I still think heavy weights are a good idea, both because larger muscles burn more calories and because you shouldnt only lift for looks but for strenght and health, thats my opinion.

To keep it a bit Thailand related:

- Oatmeal can be bought in Big C and Tesco lotus. Oatmeal is great and healthy

- Chicken almost is so cheap here and a great source of protein. great recipe for chicken with thai ingredients

- There are many kinds of fish for sale great if you like them good protein and fats

- The almonds in the big c and carefour are great too Heritage almonds. Good fats and a lot of calories if you want to gain weight

- Use riceban oil to fry in its the best oil in thailand (olive oil is not good for heating)

- There are lots of great fruits available . eat them

- Eggs always good of course and they are not bad for you the myth about cholesterol has been busted

- A coconut a day is great too if you can the water is real healthy

If your food is good and your training is good you can reach your goals.

Why do you say that?

Im not trying to flame, but can I ask you what your goals were, training upperbody 3X/week?

Seriously, just curious.

Whenever I did weight training in the past, it was for better performance in a specific sport.  But in Iraq, I was at a loss as how to exercise given that most of my normal activites were impossible/impractical/forbidden to do.  So being in the gym 6 days a week, and talking with other gym rats, I started working my upper body three times a week, my lower and core three days a week with some sort of cardio all 6 days.  Then, I went to a costume party (yes, they had them), and not really having a costume, I did some sort of superhero thing without a shirt, and much to my amazement, I got a lot of positive attention. So looking closely, I saw my arms and chest were getting bigger.  That was my motivation.  I rather want women to be attracted to me, and not having Hugh Jackman's or any other guy considered handsome's looks, having a fit body is the best I can do.

So it started having an excess of time and energy and no other outlet for that, then it became something 50% for my own self-image and 50% to try and have at least a modicum of attraction to women.  I am not saying I have been successful on that last point, but my own self-image is certainly better.

I am not even that cut, really. I am quite strong for my size, but many of the Thai guys in my gym have a better cut physque. And I can afford to lose a few inches around my gut. But in my mind, I feel fit, and that makes me feel good overall. And yes, with the infamous "for my age" caveat, I know I am doing OK. I just went to my military 30-year retirement, and except for one guy who is a master long-distance runner (second in the state of Texas for the master's class), I was in the best shape amongst my classmates who were also retiring.

Edited by bonobo