How To Get A Body Into This ?

Vans

Are you trying to tell me all scientists tell people to work out the steroid freak way with creatinge and supplements. And that scientists dont recommend running as part of a balanced workout? And that eating a healthy diet of fruit and veg and lean meat and rice and pasta needs to be supplemented with expensive protein shakes ....... you are aware that your body can get all the nutrients it needs from food alone. Im not saying protein shakes wont help in becoming bigger quicker but there is no need for them for the average guy who goes to the gym

Dude, no. the above screams ignorance. Everyone needs their FOOD diet on target, nobody is arguing that. Im talking about weight training programs and diets, catered to your specific goals, that are scientifically PROVEN to be effective. In the end, muscular hypertrophy followed by the food/fuel to heal will give you the gains you want. No steroids, no magic, no fancy stuff. Thats fact. And I dont take creatine. Even if I did, its not freaking steroids, and its not magic. Running is great, but again, its goal-specific. A skinny guy trying to get bigger, and has a hard time gaining muscle mass, does not need to run. Im not talking about boxers, just a guy that wants to get bigger.

Here you go. I weigh 200 lbs. For a man like me, I need 1.5g protien per 1 lb of weight I carry. Thats 300g per day. This, will give me the protien I need for healing/recovery. Now, 1 lean chicken breast has 25g protien. Thats 12 chicken breasts per day that I would have to eat of REAL FOOD. And thats just the protien, NOT counting carbs, or fats that I need. Think about that. Everyone is different, but again, its goal/bodytype-specific.

Doing your 4-8 reps of weights is a w4nkers way to get strong you end up looking like you walk with potatos under your arms, lift reasonable weights nice and slowly in the correct motion doing 10-15 reps is far better i can assure you will feel the burn after several reps.

I lift weights in EVERY rep-range. When Im training heavy, trust me, I feel the burn. But to be honest, I dont really care about the "Burn" what I care about is if Im sore in the target muscle area in 1-2 days after I train them. If Im sore, then I know ive done the damage to the fibers needed to grow OR maintain size. Lmao "wanke_rs" its not a wanke_rs way, its the real way.

But we are talking about getting healthy like the geezer on the pic not to become an angry steroid freak like you aspire to be, the reason i got so big was i get tendonitis in my knees and couldnt run or do leg exercises for 6 months hence only done upper body and became far too big but youd know far better wouldnt you.

I havent taken any cheap shots you, so have a little respect. My physique/fitness level dominates you in everyway. You are full of excuses. If you were getting too big, (witch I doubt) then you need to change your diet, and add cardio. Its common knowledge.

As for you telling me i dont keep fit, well thanks for telling me all the effort i put in throughout my life was a waste and that i keep quitting, maybe that 6 weeks of intensive boxing training 3 days out of 4 in the summer heat of Pattaya April/May 09 never really happened.

Thats cool man, and congradulations! But to be honest, the thais in my area train non-stop from age 9 until 25ish non-stop and are completely humble about thier achievements. You could learn something from them. Get out of pattaya for a while, and take a trip to a real camp. Burriram has some great ones.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^

If you read what i said i got big as i had chronic tendonitis in both knees and was unable to run of do leg exercises for 6 monhts hence only done upper body and got to 88KG when im only 5'9, about 78-80KG is a good strong weight for someone of my height IMO.

But you dont seem to get it im not obsessed by the gym i go to keep fit, i mentioned going to the boxing in Pattaya as it was fcuken hard working out in 35-degrees not as a boast why the <deleted> would i boast about 6 weeks in a boxing gym its hardly as if ive gone 12 rounds with Tyson when he was in his prime for a 5 million dollar purse, you come across as someone frequents gyms religously and watches everything he eats and fair play to you.

And youre the one making presumptions about me and accusing me of lieing, so get your head of your obviously well maintained septic ass and realise there is more to life then the gym.

PS Im 34 and past really pushing myself so have no intention of going to any gyms in Burriram i'll leave that for super athletes like yourself.

PPS Have you ever made 1 baht out of your oh so perfect gym regime, if not maybe youre not the athlete you claim to be.

Edited by sanmiguellight

If you read what i said i got big as i had chronic tendonitis in both knees and was unable to run of do leg exercises for 6 monhts hence only done upper body and got to 88KG when im only 5'9, about 78-80KG is a good strong weight for someone of my height IMO.

But even with tendentious, you could still walk, you could still watch what you eat, and you could still up your lifting intensity to keep your heart-rate up.

But you dont seem to get it im not obsessed by the gym i go to keep fit, i mentioned going to the boxing in Pattaya as it was fcuken hard working out in 35-degrees not as a boast why the <deleted> would i boast about 6 weeks in a boxing gym its hardly as if ive gone 12 rounds with Tyson when he was in his prime for a 5 million dollar purse, you come across as someone frequents gyms religously and watches everything he eats and fair play to you.

And youre the one making presumptions about me and accusing me of lieing, so get your head of your obviously well maintained septic ass and realise there is more to life then the gym.

Well, good luck to you. There is alot more to life than the gym.

PS Im 34 and past really pushing myself so have no intention of going to any gyms in Burriram i'll leave that for super athletes like yourself.

Thats cool too...

PPS Have you ever made 1 baht out of your oh so perfect gym regime, if not maybe youre not the athlete you claim to be.

I hardly have any aspirations to make any baht out of my training. Ive read/studied/learned/trained for years now, and I take this stuff seriously. Im not a cover model, and I dont care to be, its a hobby of mine, and a lifestyle. I really aggravates me when people (you) come on here a spit usless crap out of they mouthes. You dont know what you are talking about, you use crap like "Steroid Freak" "wanke_r" to illustrate your opinions, because you dont have any legitimate arguments.

I'm looking for a decent gym (decent in terms of having a good free weights section) near Khao san road. Having a pool isn't really essential and I can run in a park.

Any ideas and rough prices?

California wow is in pin klao its not too far. Dont do the life time membership because they might go under. Its a nice gym i have been there a few times.

I'm looking for a decent gym (decent in terms of having a good free weights section) near Khao san road. Having a pool isn't really essential and I can run in a park.

Any ideas and rough prices?

California wow is in pin klao its not too far. Dont do the life time membership because they might go under. Its a nice gym i have been there a few times.

I was in the california wow on the corner of Suk Soi 23 about 2 weeks ago. Only needed 2 days, and they charged me 800 Baht for 2 days. It was late, and I really needed a gym so I said ok. I went to the same one, about 2 months before, and they tried to charge me 1200 baht for 1 day! I walked out. You get a free towel, what you have to turn in when you leave. Just be sure to bring anything that you like to train with. LIfting straps/weight belts/etc. Because they dont supply anything. Bring your own water, and also, they will not let you put anything in thier refridgerator.

But in your area, there are alot of mainly thai gyms that are very adequite. Usually 100 baht per day for non member. Have water,belts,straps, hand guards, and everything there for you to use, and you can use thier fridge as well. Some have aircon, some dont, just talk to some motorbike taxis.

Good luck bro

The OP has faded into the background. Which is just as well. He was a dreamer not a doer. The clue was in the " I'm an average guy with average build but willing to do extreme workouts". If he was willing to go extreme, he would not be average!

As for the rest of you guys, can't we all just get along? :) Most of you are working out but one or two of you (strangely) seem to think you know all the answers. Nobody knows all the answers. There are many good ways to get fitter, and most of them have been covered.

The OP has faded into the background. Which is just as well. He was a dreamer not a doer. The clue was in the " I'm an average guy with average build but willing to do extreme workouts". If he was willing to go extreme, he would not be average!

As for the rest of you guys, can't we all just get along? :) Most of you are working out but one or two of you (strangely) seem to think you know all the answers. Nobody knows all the answers. There are many good ways to get fitter, and most of them have been covered.

I think we are all getting along. But when its about building muscles there is only one way to do it.. the hard way.

I think most serious guys just don't share the same views as sanmiguellight if its about gaining muscle. There is nothing wrong with his training to get in shape, but to gain muscle fast the other approaches mentioned are better.

Train hard for 2-3 years. If you did everything right, you should have a pretty decent transformation. You aint gonna be Arnold, or Jackman.

Maybe he won't look like Arnold used to look "THEN" but he may eventually look like Arnold does "NOW" ! :)

post-70247-1248114985_thumb.jpg

Well done photoshop.

Well, can you explain what "Fit" Means to you? Because its such a broad term. Lose fat? Gain Muscle? Run farther? Get stronger? Because unfortunately, without pushing yourself further than you would normally, or going harder than you did previously did last time, and doing this consistently, you will never really see any change. Doing the same light weight everyday, or swimming the same distance everyday, or running the same time everyday, and never trying to push yourself to get better time, weight, distance, then nothing will ever change.

Fact is, with gaining muscle, there is only one way.

Guaranteed, someone that comes to the gym, and wants to get "fit", who does the same light weight every other day, without effort or struggling, will never change his body, nor, will be become "fit". Why? Because hes doing the same thing he could do already.

And yes, one or two of us in here very much DO know alot about training.

I think most serious guys just don't share the same views as sanmiguellight if its about gaining muscle. There is nothing wrong with his training to get in shape, but to gain muscle fast the other approaches mentioned are better.

But i agree that to build muscle fast you should lift as much as possible and eat a hel_l of a lot, my point is this guy in the pic who the OP aspires to look like doesnt look as if he lifts extremely heavy weights more that he keeps himself all round fit over a long period of time, if the OP wishes to look like him he needs an all round workout not just pumping masses of iron.

I am physically able to lift far more then these super fit boxers, but i'd much rather id spent the last 12 years training like they have as opposed to lifting heavy weights as i have been doing ... it does give you a buzz at the time and makes you fell good after lifting a lot of weight but its far easier getting strong this way then to do an all round workout where you are pushing your body in more ways then just lifting, hence the difficult way is the better way.

Edited by sanmiguellight

Guaranteed, someone that comes to the gym, and wants to get "fit", who does the same light weight every other day, without effort or struggling, will never change his body, nor, will be become "fit". Why? Because hes doing the same thing he could do already.

OK when you next go to the gym bench press whatever is your limit and do 10 reps, how you would normally do it.

Then half this weight and do as many reps as you can, but count to 6 on your way up and 6 on your way down, you will struggle to get to 5.

This without doubt is a far harder way to do any exercise ..... and i agree with you that whatever you find harder is better for you.

Over time this will give a better shape then lifting weights you struggle to get to 8 reps with, and will give you a better kind of strength that wont be lost when you dont go to the gym for a month or 2 IMO.

Edited by sanmiguellight

OK when you next go to the gym bench press whatever is your limit and do 10 reps, how you would normally do it.

Then half this weight and do as many reps as you can, but count to 6 on your way up and 6 on your way down, you will struggle to get to 5.

This without doubt is a far harder way to do any exercise ..... and i agree with you that whatever you find harder is better for you.

Over time this will give a better shape then lifting weights you struggle to get to 8 reps with, and will give you a better kind of strength that wont be lost when you dont go to the gym for a month or 2 IMO.

Both approaches work, i struggle with my weights every time.. day before yesterday i was stuck under 115 kg because i did not make the last rep. That is how close i train till failure, im lucky that i have a powerrack so the safeties helped me. I would not say what you were doing is harder or what i am doing is harder. Actually from time to time i do as you describe because you cant grow if you never change your shedule.

A while back i did GVT german volume training. Trying to do 10 sets with 10 reps of benchpress or any compound exercise with only a minute rest in between. I can grantee you you start panting like a baby it is really heavy. (the idea is the moment you get 10 sets of 10 reps you add more weight the next time).

Training is about changing your ways once every 2 months or so else your body adapts and progress stalls.

Well, can you explain what "Fit" Means to you? Because its such a broad term. Lose fat? Gain Muscle? Run farther? Get stronger? Because unfortunately, without pushing yourself further than you would normally, or going harder than you did previously did last time, and doing this consistently, you will never really see any change. Doing the same light weight everyday, or swimming the same distance everyday, or running the same time everyday, and never trying to push yourself to get better time, weight, distance, then nothing will ever change.

Yes, I'll grant that you obviously know a lot about training. But you are not the only one (or two). Unless you are a certified trainer ( the real kind) or sport M.D., you are just a gifted amateur.

I don't know anyone who goes to the gym to do the same "light" weights everyday, unless we are talking about fat girls. Everyone knows you need progressive resistance ( with possible exception of the OP). The question then becomes how to use this concept to become fitter, which covers everything you mentioned with the running part being questionable unless you like to run.

Injury avoidance is a key part of the workout if you want to do it a long time and improve, not injure, your body. Not all have perfect form. Fewer yet as the weight gets heavy. Machines can replicate full range of motion with less chance of injury. So the classic compound exercises are not the only way to go.

Isn't there a big difference between training for bodybuilding or strenght?

The martialarts/strenght forum I use and read is for strenght purposes and those guys all of them recommend HEAVY low repetition weight training. Bodybuilders seem to favor up to 12 reps and lots of similar excersises.

The American top MMA fighter Josh Barnett gave an interview on how he trained and it was compound exercise mixed with variations of 'natural' training like beating a tire with a sledgehammer. Real strenght comes from free weight exercise with natural movements that include many muscles, but I think for size it could actually be more effective to work very isolated exercises.

The key in what I have learned is heavy weights and constant progression.

Then again if the goal is to impress the ladies then frequent Muay Thai training at a real thai gym will probably give a better result, it's amazing how fast you'll get in top shape. The Thai girls I've met doesn't seem to care much for muscles, until I lift them up and throw them around a bit :)

The martialarts/strenght forum I use and read is for strenght purposes and those guys all of them recommend HEAVY low repetition weight training. Bodybuilders seem to favor up to 12 reps and lots of similar excersises.

The American top MMA fighter Josh Barnett gave an interview on how he trained and it was compound exercise mixed with variations of 'natural' training like beating a tire with a sledgehammer. Real strenght comes from free weight exercise with natural movements that include many muscles, but I think for size it could actually be more effective to work very isolated exercises.

Then again if the goal is to impress the ladies then frequent Muay Thai training at a real thai gym will probably give a better result, it's amazing how fast you'll get in top shape. The Thai girls I've met doesn't seem to care much for muscles, until I lift them up and throw them around a bit :)

Nope compounds are always the best far better then isolated exercises

What i have seen is that most bodybuilders will do 5-12 reps (there are exceptions however)

Injury avoidance is a key part of the workout if you want to do it a long time and improve, not injure, your body. Not all have perfect form. Fewer yet as the weight gets heavy. Machines can replicate full range of motion with less chance of injury. So the classic compound exercises are not the only way to go.

I dont agree with you and many of the top trainers also dont agree with you. Machines are nice for gym owners so they dont have to hire trainers to supervise the ppl in the gym. Im not saying that machines are not usefull but they can never replace compounds. You don't stabilize yourself when you use a machine so you dont get as much out it then what you get out of a compound.

I dont agree with you and many of the top trainers also dont agree with you. Machines are nice for gym owners so they dont have to hire trainers to supervise the ppl in the gym. Im not saying that machines are not usefull but they can never replace compounds. You don't stabilize yourself when you use a machine so you dont get as much out it then what you get out of a compound.

Well, it's OK for you to disagree but I'm not sure about the top trainers. :)

I would bet that you will find HammerStrength machines or similar in the training room of most. professional sports teams. I see them in the background during interviews on tv all the time.

They can supplement or replace compounds. Up to you. :D Local joke. Actually, for the reason I mentioned, heavier weight with less risk of injury, it is a valid reason to go this route. Not all (many?) of us are 21. So compounds may be better but not necessary.

I would bet that you will find HammerStrength machines or similar in the training room of most. professional sports teams. I see them in the background during interviews on tv all the time.

They can supplement or replace compounds. Up to you. :D Local joke. Actually, for the reason I mentioned, heavier weight with less risk of injury, it is a valid reason to go this route. Not all (many?) of us are 21. So compounds may be better but not necessary.

Ok let me name a few of the top names at the moment

- Mark Rippetoe

- Charles Poliquin

- Oldie Franco Columbu

And i could sum up many more who agree with me that compounds are the best for building muscles. I mean the first two are the hot names at the moment.

But i agree that to build muscle fast you should lift as much as possible and eat a hel_l of a lot, my point is this guy in the pic who the OP aspires to look like doesnt look as if he lifts extremely heavy weights more that he keeps himself all round fit over a long period of time, if the OP wishes to look like him he needs an all round workout not just pumping masses of iron.

I am physically able to lift far more then these super fit boxers, but i'd much rather id spent the last 12 years training like they have as opposed to lifting heavy weights as i have been doing ... it does give you a buzz at the time and makes you fell good after lifting a lot of weight but its far easier getting strong this way then to do an all round workout where you are pushing your body in more ways then just lifting, hence the difficult way is the better way.

A weight training routine, that includes LEGS, arms, chest, back, and shoulders, with cardio if your fat, and none if you are skinny, will give you this physique. This includes Squat, Bench, Bent BB row, Deadlifts, Pullups, Dips, etc... You will get strong, and bigger, give that you eat right. Not 300 situps, and lifting a weight that you dont struggle with.

For once you are making sense! Good on you man! I use both ways. both ways your intensity is the same, and you are going to failure (almost).

I dont know about a differnt kinda strength though.

Why would you stop for a month or 2?

Yes, I'll grant that you obviously know a lot about training. But you are not the only one (or two). Unless you are a certified trainer ( the real kind) or sport M.D., you are just a gifted amateur.

I don't know anyone who goes to the gym to do the same "light" weights everyday, unless we are talking about fat girls. Everyone knows you need progressive resistance ( with possible exception of the OP). The question then becomes how to use this concept to become fitter, which covers everything you mentioned with the running part being questionable unless you like to run.

Right, im not a "personal trainer" and IMO they are a joke. 90% that I have met, dont even train, or even look "fit" and sport MD's mainly focus on injury prevention/maintenance.

There are 1000's of people that would disagree with your last paragraph.

Yes, the idea is, that with HEAVY weight and low reps, you are just training for pure strength/mass. They dont really care about being lean or having visible abs. Just to move a weight from A to B

Barnett is training for a specific goal. FIghters, especially MMA really train for fighting. Torso rotation, explosive strength, muscular endurance. The idea is to last longer than the other guy, and be stronger (if possible) in your weight class. Im sure you already know all this. Bodybuilders, for the most part, are mainly focused on appearance/symmetry. My brother likes MMA, and trains. I tried beating a tire with a sledgehammer, and, yeah, that is freaking hard. I can definately see how that would help a fighter.

Exactly.

Then again if the goal is to impress the ladies then frequent Muay Thai training at a real thai gym will probably give a better result, it's amazing how fast you'll get in top shape. The Thai girls I've met doesn't seem to care much for muscles, until I lift them up and throw them around a bit :D

Last 2 girlfriends said the same thing, but it dosent stop them from feeling my arms/shoulders when im sweating my ass of bangin them out :)

Then again if the goal is to impress the ladies then frequent Muay Thai training at a real thai gym will probably give a better result, it's amazing how fast you'll get in top shape. The Thai girls I've met doesn't seem to care much for muscles, until I lift them up and throw them around a bit :D

Last 2 girlfriends said the same thing, but it dosent stop them from feeling my arms/shoulders when im sweating my ass of bangin them out :)

So true.

Lol, Of course there are Hammer Strength machines in every gym. Top bodybuilding trainers have them, everyone has them. Normally they are used after your compound moves for a given body part. Example: legs, and again this is just an example. Start with squat. Do your sets, then move to your Hammerstrength leg extention, then maybe hit some Stiff Leg Dead Lift, then over to your Hammer strength lying leg curl and isolate your hams. The idea is that you would do your compound first, then your isolation/machine exercise. This is just an example.

You wouldnt just do the leg curl and extention and call it a day.

Pages and pages of <deleted> written about training and the OP nowhere to be seen. If the OP is around then we need more information, or a recent photo, for him to get any help as to what he needs to do. :)

Pages and pages of <deleted> written about training and the OP nowhere to be seen. If the OP is around then we need more information, or a recent photo, for him to get any help as to what he needs to do. :)

Its just fun to discuss training, IMHO most farang in Thailand really neglect their body. Im not saying they should do bodybuiling but you dont see them do many other sports to stay a little bit in shape. The only lifting many do is lifting their beer glass.

Its a big difference then in the west where a larger portion of the population does participate in sports. I know the demographics are a bit different here but older guys need to stay in shape too. A healthy mind into a healthy body.

Maybe because money can buy so much (even the love of girls if you call it love) guys care less about their looks. But its not only about looks also about your health.