Bib At It..

LivinLOS

As reported on another forum by someone whose not a BM on here.

Long Story Short

Last night some tourists got shaken down by Bangla police for not carrying their passports.

One did not pay enough and spent the night in jail.

One was asked by the police after they emptied his passport to give them the pin for his ATM card!

Worst thing is these guys are agents for a tour company here to enjoy Phuket then go back and promote the island as a tourist destination!!!

More details to follow when I have time...

Seems the person helping them works for a major tourist co here and boss works for the TAT.. Could you pick worse people to target in petty shakedowns ??

One was asked by the police after they emptied his passport to give them the pin for his ATM card!

That should be a headline in a newspaper somewhere!

Amazing Thailand and it's Amazing Police Corruption!

Where will it stop?

Unreal. I hope the PG and Post jump on this one quickly.

OK, let's see if they actually do that. I think we've all experienced instances of 'selective' journalism, see if this one hits the pages tomorrow. Hard to see of course, it took the PG four days to report another drowning (33+ in total so far this year?). When is the Governor (the official one) going to step in and start using his authority to control both corruption and incompetence? For me, the real irony is that the local people don't fully comprehend the publicity that these practices are generating. Sure, there's a downturn of visitors due to the global economic situation, but for those that do have the means to travel/vacation, they are being more selective.

For those of us who live here full time, I'm sure we've all had exposure to the variances of quality/standards/pricing etc. The further west you go (or from the north to the south), the more expensive/prevalent it is, not only amongst the bars/restaurants, but the stall holders as well. Sad. There are some roadside fruit sellers who are almost giving their produce away (15 baht for 3 kilo of good fruit!!), whilst a walk around Tops/Village Market doesn't bear any relation to the local economy.

There's another more serious consideration during these times, that I became aware of a couple of days ago. A friend's family are visiting and ate at an average restaurant ( west coast - seafood), and became very ill (hospitalised). Thinking about it, restaurants/stalls etc, in these times of uncertain client numbers, how often is their food going to be frozen/de-frosted/frozen/re-heated etc. Seriously, there has to be a few health risks out there caused by lack of customers. Really worth thinking about folks before you choose your food venue.

Where will it stop?

Ummm, how exactly do you "empty a passport"? A wallet maybe, but I sure never carry anything "in my passport". Plus, how can they charge someone with NOT carrying his passport and then "empty" what is not there? That should be under the headline "Not posting while drunk". :)

Where will it stop?

Ummm, how exactly do you "empty a passport"? A wallet maybe, but I sure never carry anything "in my passport". Plus, how can they charge someone with NOT carrying his passport and then "empty" what is not there? That should be under the headline "Not posting while drunk". :)

I think it's pretty clear the poster meant "empty his wallet."

It would be nice to find the original source of this story so we can pass it on to the "news" agencies for them to follow up on. I would really like to see something about this in the mainstream outlets, if it's true. The OP is a reliable source, but he's quoting a third person. Once the victims are safely back home in their home country I'm sure they would be willing to share their stories.

In my experience, things that look to good or bad to be true are exactly that: not true. And this story looks over the top to me. With this information also being third hand at best, I simply don't trust it.

Edited by stevenl