2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650r Abs

BigBikeBKK

Do you like naked (ER6n) or faired (Ninja 650R)?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Naked (ER6n) or faired (Ninja 650R)?

• I like to keep my clothes on- gimme a Ninja 650R
    • Naked Baby! I like the ER6n!
    • Naked or faired- I like 'em both!

This poll is closed to new votes

Cheers HD,

More important for me than building up the back was flattening out the seat. I find that the stock seat slopes down and forward a little more than I like. I wanted to flatten it out by shaving down the rear of the seat so that I'll be sitting flatter on the seat. The shop took about a half an inch off of the rear section of the seat. You can see how much was removed in this video:

BTW, please forgive the TERRIBLE soundtrack :) - I originally had Jimi Hendrix but YouTube didn't like it and I had to replace with one of their lame tracks... :D

(Even with the mods I just had done the seat does still slope down, but less than before and I can always go back and have more foam removed)

102009SeatMod9Sm.jpg

Not sure what I did with the receipt but I think the stock seat cost about 1600 Baht. Maybe it was 1200... Can't quite remember...

Not sure what the screen costs but I can check for you when I get back from MotoGP next week, ok?

I only just noticed that the Woodcraft rearsets were available the other day. I haven't ordered them yet as I might be going back to the US for Christmas in which case I'll get them then. (Also, if the Ninja ZX6R comes to Thailand as rumored I may just keep the 650R for touring in which case the stock pegs are probably best)

Happy Trails!

Tony

With just adding "foam" to the front of the seat will reduce the angle......it will be only in looks. After a while of riding, engine/body heat and vibration and pounding, the foam will compress so actually have a minimal effect. U need build up the height with a less compactable material under the foam. I think styrofoam (preferably higher density building foam than the standard white packing foam)would do the trick shaped to feel comfortable. U may need make a series of wedges (longtitudinal edege to edge joints) to cater for the rounded shape of the plastic base, and sanded down in height as it gets to the sides of the seat.

Also......normal contact adhesive as would be used in the shop where u had the seat remodeled melts styrofoam!! U need use the special contact adhesive compatable with the foam.

The seat will "feel" a little higher (In reality the actual height is towards the rear where ur bum is anyway so no "real" difference) but will achieve the result u are looking for.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With just adding "foam" to the front of the seat will reduce the angle......it will be only in looks. After a while of riding, engine/body heat and vibration and pounding, the foam will compress so actually have a minimal effect. U need build up the height with a less compactable material under the foam. I think styrofoam (preferably higher density building foam than the standard white packing foam)would do the trick shaped to feel comfortable. U may need make a series of wedges (longtitudinal edege to edge joints) to cater for the rounded shape of the plastic base, and sanded down in height as it gets to the sides of the seat.

Also......normal contact adhesive as would be used in the shop where u had the seat remodeled melts styrofoam!! U need use the special contact adhesive compatable with the foam.

The seat will "feel" a little higher (In reality the actual height is towards the rear where ur bum is anyway so no "real" difference) but will achieve the result u are looking for.

Cheers Visions, If you read my post and watch the video you'll see that I didn't want to add any height to the seat, but rather flatten out the rear, which has been accomplished and I'm much happier with the seat now. I have seen a couple guys who had their seats raised- one guy because of a bum leg, the other cuz he wanted a really soft squishy seat, but that's not what I'm after. Happy Trails! Tony

Where is the finance info on this bike located? Or who knows it?

Normally its 257,000 baht? Quite reasonable compared to Suzuki at like 600,000....

Divide that over five yours and thats only like 5,000 per month. Two years at just over 10,000....

How long a warranty?

Yep- Kawasaki is the best value going in Thailand at the moment since they have a huge price advantage over the imported bikes.

2 year unlimited mileage warranty (void if you modify the bike though).

Dunno about finance as I paid cash, but I'm pretty sure someone posted up the finance terms earlier in this thread somewhere... I think it was 30% down and 6.5% interest over 24 or 36 months.

Let the Good Times Roll!

If you look through the thread there is Finance info there some where. Good to hear from you again. Don't forget the deposit and dreaded interest. If memory serves me It's 90,000 down then 7,xxx over 3 years max.

Thanks guys. Looks quite nice. Still slim too because its only a 2 cylinder! Would prefer a 4 cylinder though like my old vfr....

you are slowly but surely turning that bike into a really ugly piece o'crap. the seat cowl and polished grab rail was bad enough, but the rack? you are joking,right?

Well let's see now, what ugly piece of crap are you driving?

My mate bought the plastic seat cowl $120 dollars plus post, plus paint. It ripped his seat getting it on and off, and he can only use when solo, so the rest of the time when he parked up the bike seat looks ugly (and they are ugly), my design allows me to have a single look seat at all times, and I always tour with the misses, so the only effective choice. If I bought a seat cowl it would just gather dust in my garage. Mind I do like Tony's idea of going the whole hog and recoving the lot using two tones

Polished grab handles - thats exactly how they go into dealerships in UK (not sure about US spec), so black or polished whats the dif.

As for the rack, it's fvkin amazing, it's only on the bike when carrying luggage (not a perminent fixture duh!) what bike looks nice carrying luggage (a goldwing and erm?). It's amazing cos it's on and off in seconds with no alteration to the bike other than the polished grab handles. There's a guy on here that had a rack fitted, they replace the grAb handles, so basically a perminent fixture, and took an hour to fit.

If you ain't got anything constructive to say, your true level of intellegence will show through and you'll end up embarrassing yourself.

I'm going to take a hacksaw to the mirrors on my Ferrari and epoxy them to the cat.

ts

Ha! having read your second post I sort of know where you're going wrong, these bikes are not ferraris that would have to be a Ducati Desmo, these are practical touring budget bikes, and if you want to do something to make them more practical, then it doesn't matter. eg. when the seat is at different levels, you and pillion have boundaries, I can now shove my arse into the back of my seat and know I'm not stealing any of the misses' space, like-wise if she slides forward she knows when she's gone to far and can shift back, no need for a swift elbow in the ribs from me.

The rack -well the practicality speaks for itself, and the grab handles were not done for cosmetic reasons but to accomodate the very practical bike rack - but thanks for your apology.

• 2 weeks later...

Lenny, I've never heard a vfr referred to as a formal ride, it's been a while since I rode one, but remember they were pretty cramped for my 5'11" frame, the 650r is very different and much more ready for long rides. But if you're a short guy you may find a vfr ample. As for performance it depends how your engine is performing, weren't they in the 85+ hp off the production line, but I doubt you'll get it much over 130mph/210kph now unless it's got some mega tune-up bits fitted, so the performance should be simular. The 650r despite its sporty looks, feels more like driving a motorcross - with a very straight back, unless u purposely tuck-in, or change the bars.

Anyway I've now copied Tony's idea and totally reupolstered the seat, still gone with the two-tone/single seat conversion look. I've also fitted an mtc end can (they mount paralell with the bike) and stuck the oe end piece on with some bubble gum an duct-tape, now it looks original but minus 5kgs and 2 cats.

post-64189-1257586512_thumb.jpg

A couple more pics of the 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650R with Arrow exhaust-

102009Ninja650R3.jpg

As mentioned earlier the lower fairing does touch the exhaust-

102009Ninja650R4Sm.jpg

I've seen some people trim the fairing, but I don't think it will be necessary and will leave it as is. No vibration and doesn't seem like the can is going to melt the fairing.

Ride On!

Tony

Tony, just get your shifting spanner on the bottom fairing bracket and bend it out a little, thats what i did for my scorpion, you will find it doesn`t need much and the fairing still doesn`t come in to contact with the brake pedal....HD...... LTGTR

exhaust can looks very close to your fairing bodywork ..you might need some heatproof tape on the inside of it there or your paint work might start to flake off from too much heat ...hope you dont mind me saying ...just a suggestion...

• 2 weeks later...
What luggage can you get for these 650R's?

Where, how much etc.

Seems like an ideal touring bike.

Seen a few guys put Givi panniers and / or top boxes on their Ninja 650Rs and ER6n's

I tried a top box and didn't like it (plus it broke...) so I get by with a 15 liter dive bag securely strapped to the pillion.

111909650RZm.jpg

I can carry enough in there for a week-long ride and if I need more storage I use a tank bag.

Happy Trails!

Hi everybody, went for a test ride yesterday, I think it is good looking, especially the ninja. Good pickup and very comfortable upright riding position, well, it is definitely value for money, but just a little short on power, having 72 hp is sufficient for everyday riding,but when the road is empty and open up for you, and you wanted to go crazy, this bike might not do what you have asked for. I like the specs of the Z750, with 106 hp. I checked with the salesman at the Pattaya branch and he told me that the Z750 is not sold in Thailand, I was wondering whether anybody has anyway to find out whether it will be sold in Thailand soon? And the price?

Hi everybody, went for a test ride yesterday, I think it is good looking, especially the ninja. Good pickup and very comfortable upright riding position, well, it is definitely value for money, but just a little short on power, having 72 hp is sufficient for everyday riding,but when the road is empty and open up for you, and you wanted to go crazy, this bike might not do what you have asked for. I like the specs of the Z750, with 106 hp. I checked with the salesman at the Pattaya branch and he told me that the Z750 is not sold in Thailand, I was wondering whether anybody has anyway to find out whether it will be sold in Thailand soon? And the price?

Kawasaki has no plans to sell the Z750 or Z1000 in Thailand... Talk to Red Baron, they can import one for you. Expect to pay between 500-600k Baht. Did you notice the ZX10R at the dealership? It's restricted but still still hauls ass. Price 650,000 Baht. ZX6R coming soon, also restricted, price unknown but rumored to be about 550,000 Baht.

Ride On!

Woohoo! FINALLY got my new Arrow exhaust and installed her last night in my living room. :D

1013Ninja650RArrow.jpg

Amazingly easy to install, cuts 4.6Kg off the bike, and according to Arrow it adds 3Hp :)

1013Ninja650RArrow3.jpg

1013Ninja650RArrow2.jpg

This first vid is with the exhaust baffle in:

And here it is again with the baffle removed:

RIDE ON!

Tony

Does that exhaust system include the little girlie scream just after you shut the engine off? :D

There was a press release saying Kwaker were going to move all manufacturing to Thailand.. True or not.. This decade or not.. No one knows.

The new z1000 looks sensational... That bike really does it for me spec and looks wise.

Hi LivinLOS, the press release didn't say anything about moving ALL production to Thailand. The current Kawasaki factory in Rayong is already operating at capacity. If they want to increase production they'll have to expand the current factory of build a new one. I can't see either happening in the near future. As a first step it would make sense to move production of the Versys from Japan to Thailand though.

Ride On!

Tony

^Good on you. Your bike looks good, I dont like the way the pipe touches the fairing, bit ordinary that, im surprised arrow did just make a little indent in the can, would look sweet & wouldnt take that much work.......I'd probably consider adding one myself if you can develop a little punch like tool and give it a belt a couple of times with a 4 pound key.

I think I told you I checked out the 650R's back in Oz, I was offered a test ride but I declined as I didnt want to make myself itch too badly for a new los ride. Without offending you its easy to see they have been built to a price, finished off fairly basically, but the upside is from all reports they handle really nicely and for a 70hp bike arnt to shabby either.....I guess the beauty of them is you can play with them and end up with a nice little toy for around the 300k mark, which isnt bad for LOS.

Good on ya's, keep em upright & keep posting for us all to enjoy :)

^Good on you. Your bike looks good, I dont like the way the pipe touches the fairing, bit ordinary that, im surprised arrow did just make a little indent in the can, would look sweet & wouldnt take that much work.......I'd probably consider adding one myself if you can develop a little punch like tool and give it a belt a couple of times with a 4 pound key.

I think I told you I checked out the 650R's back in Oz, I was offered a test ride but I declined as I didnt want to make myself itch too badly for a new los ride. Without offending you its easy to see they have been built to a price, finished off fairly basically, but the upside is from all reports they handle really nicely and for a 70hp bike arnt to shabby either.....I guess the beauty of them is you can play with them and end up with a nice little toy for around the 300k mark, which isnt bad for LOS.

Good on ya's, keep em upright & keep posting for us all to enjoy :)

Cheers Neverdie,

Yeah, the Ninja 650R / ER6n is quite a basic bike, but it does seem to handle better than the sum of its parts and for Thailand the price just can't be beat. It wouldn't be my first choice if I was back in Japan or the US where bikes are dirt cheap, but here in Thailand, the land of overpriced imports, the domestically made Kawasaki's are an unbeatable value.

Thanks for the info, Tony. BTW, I was checking the Givi top box at the Kawasaki shop yesterday, the salesman was telling me that the Givi box with bracket specially design for the 650, is solid and stable, maybe you can get the bracket from them.

Cheers,

Yes, I've seen a number of ER6n's and Ninja 650R's with Givi panniers and top boxes, but I always travel light and can't imagine I'd ever need all that storage space, plus when I did have a top box on my ER6n I found it caught the wind and unsettled the bike at speeds over ~140km/hr. I do still have a custom made rack (that appears solid...) and a Givi E350N-S top box I can use if I ever go on a really long trip, but I much prefer pillion and tank bags.

020509GiviInstall5Sm.jpg

Pic above shows the old custom rack that broke due to poor design. DR Bike made me a new rack free of charge that is better designed, but I've never installed it...

Ride On!

Tony

There was a press release saying Kwaker were going to move all manufacturing to Thailand.. True or not.. This decade or not.. No one knows.

The new z1000 looks sensational... That bike really does it for me spec and looks wise.

Hi LivinLOS, the press release didn't say anything about moving ALL production to Thailand. The current Kawasaki factory in Rayong is already operating at capacity. If they want to increase production they'll have to expand the current factory of build a new one. I can't see either happening in the near future. As a first step it would make sense to move production of the Versys from Japan to Thailand though.

Ride On!

Tony

No it doesnt say ALL.. But it does imply that they are going to increase it, so if its at capacity now, then logic says more factories are coming.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=abR1S4fnOkW0

Note that late aug they announce "shifting" more 'medium and large' production here.. They cant do that with the factory they have so ???