Non-imm O-a

This discussion regarding getting an O-A before arrival should not include those from the USA. It is my understanding, from others and from my own experience, that neither the Embassy in D.C. nor the Consulate in L.A. will issue a multi-entry O-A. Thus, the "free 2nd year" doesn't exist.

Well your understanding about the Embassy in D.C. is WRONG. I am on my third O-A Multiple from the Embassy in D.C. I will not comment on the Consulate in L.A. since I have never used it

As Jingthing says, everyone should use whatever method suits them. I spend 6 months in LOS, and 6 months in the US, so I find it easier to go to a mail box and handle everything by USPS than deal with the US Embassy in Bangkok for my income letter :)

Thank you!

This is encouraging that I can do this thing through the USPS in Chaing Rai rather than going to Bangkok.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you!

This is encouraging that I can do this thing through the USPS in Chaing Rai rather than going to Bangkok.

I don't understand what you are saying. From Chiang Rai, you are going to do what exactly? You can't legally mail your passport out of Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Thank you!

I don't understand what you are saying. From Chiang Rai, you are going to do what exactly? You can't legally mail your passport out of Thailand.

I wasn't saying that - I am now in the States, and can get either an "O" or an "O-A" from the Honorary Consul near me. Then at the last of the year I can then apply for the "extension" or a "Retirement Visa" (?) I suppose....................

If you have a consulate to get you an O (not an OA) why not just get a SINGLE entry? Then with 30 days left on the SINGLE entry you apply for the extension based on retirement. Then no more visa runs! Seems crazy to go for the multiple entry O if you plan to stay in Thailand. When you get your annual extension, if you plan to travel during that year, just apply for one or multiple reentry permits in Thailand at the same time you get your extension. That is the normal method here for long term retirees, you will get used to it.

Yep. Obtain Non-O single entry visa in own country and then extend permission to stay in Thailand on basis of retirement.

Thank you!

I wasn't saying that - I am now in the States, and can get either an "O" or an "O-A" from the Honorary Consul near me. Then at the last of the year I can then apply for the "extension" or a "Retirement Visa" (?) I suppose....................

Huh????

If you get an OA in the USA that gives you a full year in Thailand and then if you come and go just before the stay expires (assuming it is a multiple entry OA) then you get another year. That is TWO YEARS before you would have to apply for an extension to stay based on retirement in Thailand. On the other hand if you come with a single entry O, you would get your extension during that 3 month period in Thailand.

There are different ways to do this, maybe this is the root of the confusion here.

If you want my suggestion, and you are here for the duration, I suggest getting a single entry O and start getting into the system of retirement extensions IN Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Thank you!

If you apply for O-A visa in US you will also have to provide a police report and medical certificate. You don't need these documents if you go the route Jing suggests and obtain single Non-O visa in US and then apply for extension of stay based on retirement in Thailand.

That's OK. I will try to be concise (an effort for me).

1. Chiang Mai USA consulate can supply the income letter you need.

You can come and go, but you need to have reentry permit(s) to do so if you wish to preserve your annual permission to stay. These you apply and pay for optionally and separately from the extension application.

Thai bank account if qualifying with income letter. Not all Thai immigration require this. You will have to ask at your office specifically or try to get feedback from members here who use that office and are applying using the same qualification criteria. If they require it, yes you need a copy of your bank book and you need a very fresh letter from your bank. Sometimes only the home branch of your bank can supply this, which is a problem if you live in Isaan and opened the account in Phuket, for example.

2. Non O visa is a generic term for non-immigrant visa. Only the OA visa is a retirement visa. You will be starting with an O visa and applying for an extension to stay based on retirement in Thailand. Doing it this way, you will never have a retirement visa, and you will not need one either. In the US, you will be seeking a non immigrant O visa, not an OA visa. You will of course have to find a consulate to sell you one. Sometimes if you tell them or they can see you are retiring in Thailand, they won't give you one and inist that you apply for an OA.

OK............ I think to just get a Non-Imm "O" while I am here, and take all the other requirements with me back to Thailand as some of you suggest, and just after I get back apply for the extension, is the thing to do. At that point I can get into the nuts and bolts of the "retirement extension" thing without taking up more of your much apprediated time here.

Also as you can see I am new at this, and don't know which button is best to reply. Bear with me!!

If you have a consulate to get you an O (not an OA) why not just get a SINGLE entry? Then with 30 days left on the SINGLE entry you apply for the extension based on retirement. Then no more visa runs! Seems crazy to go for the multiple entry O if you plan to stay in Thailand. When you get your annual extension, if you plan to travel during that year, just apply for one or multiple reentry permits in Thailand at the same time you get your extension. That is the normal method here for long term retirees, you will get used to it.

OK, now I am finally getting it. It is really quite simple it seems, and ongoing rather painless. I will get the single entry "O" here in the U.S., and near the end of the 90 days in Thailand I will go to Immigration with the proper documentation and apply for the "O" extension for another year (+). Have I got it now??

OK, now I am finally getting it. It is really quite simple it seems, and ongoing rather painless. I will get the single entry "O" here in the U.S., and near the end of the 90 days in Thailand I will go to Immigration with the proper documentation and apply for the "O" extension for another year (+). Have I got it now??

And the extension application (with the number of re-entries I think I will need) is for retirement, not another "O" visa, right?

In the last 30 days of your permission to stay you will need to go to Immigration and apply for "an extension of stay". In your case this is based on retirement. When approved you will no longer have a visa but its place you have an "extension of stay" which allows you to stay in Thailand for 12 months (and you renew every year). When you have this you will also need to apply at Immigration for a re-entry permit (1000 baht single entry, 3800 baht multiple entry) which will allow you to travel out of Thailand when you want to and keeps your extension of stay alive. You can apply for this at the same time as you apply for your extension of stay. If you leave Thailand without having a re-entry permit your extension of stay will die and you will need to start the process again of applying for a new extension of stay. Hope this helps you.

Edited by thaiphoon

What I should do now:

After going back through all the posts, I know all of you must be laughing, at me taking so long to understand things. I agree with JingThing that it would be best that I do as most long-term Expats do, - and so if you will allow me one more recap, here is what I understand that I need to do now;

1) Apply here in the U.S. and get a single-entry Non-Immigration "O" visa.

2) After returning to Thailand, get an Income Affidavit from the U.S. Consul in Chiang Mai, showing income of 65,000 baht per month.

3) Then near the end of the 90 period, take this Affidavit and go to Thai Immigration at Mae Sai and apply for a one year extension of stay (not a visa) based on retirement. (I will NOT need a medical letter from my doctor, or a police letter for these purposes.)

4) I will need to bring copies of my passport photo page, the visa page, and the entry/permit to stay page - and sign them all.

5) I will need to have a copy of a TM6 Departure Card, (where to get?)

6) I will need to have a signed copy of a completed TMZ application form (where to get?), and I will need to attach one 4x6 centimeter photo to this application form.

7) I will also need a completed TMB form (where to get?) with photo attached. (This will allow me to leave and re-enter as many times as I want).

8) At this time (or on the same day), ask for and get a Multiple Re-entry Permit which keeps the Extension of Stay alive (costs 3,800b). (QUESTION??- is this permit needed if I have the TMB form??)

9) And be sure to get a Re-Entry Permit slip before leaving each time.

Corrections if needed, and answers would be appreciated.........................

...After going back through all the posts, I know all of you must be laughing, at me taking so long to understand things...

Not at all. It is good of you to plan things in detail in advance. You’ve got all the ducks lined up correctly and I would like to comment only on the following:

...3) Then near the end of the 90 period, take this Affidavit and go to Thai Immigration at Mae Sai and apply for a one year extension of stay (not a visa) based on retirement. (I will NOT need a medical letter from my doctor, or a police letter for these purposes.) ...

Don’t wait until the end of the 90 days. The immigration office will accept your application any time during the last 30 days of you permission to stay, so I suggest you go already 4 weeks before the 90 days are up.

...5) I will need to have a copy of a TM6 Departure Card, (where to get?)

The Departure Card is the departure portion of the arrival/departure card you will get from the flight attendants on you flight to Bangkok. Example of the card:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a14468-.html

The departure card will probably have your arrival date stamped on the back, so copy both sides of it.

6) I will need to have a signed copy of a completed TMZ application form (where to get?), and I will need to attach one 4x6 centimeter photo to this application form.

It’s the TM.7 form you want. You get it at the immigration office or you can download it here in the Microsoft Word format. A PDF version is here, in case your computer cannot display Thai characters.

--

Maestro

P.S. I see I have to split my reply into more than one post because there is a limit to the number of quotes I may use.

7) I will also need a completed TMB form (where to get?) with photo attached. (This will allow me to leave and re-enter as many times as I want).

It is the form TM.8 you want, which you can download here or get at the immigration office.

8) At this time (or on the same day), ask for and get a Multiple Re-entry Permit which keeps the Extension of Stay alive (costs 3,800b). (QUESTION??- is this permit needed if I have the TMB form??)

This is the same as your point 7.

9) And be sure to get a Re-Entry Permit slip before leaving each time.

No. The re-entry permit is all you need before you leave Thailand. When you return, on the arrival card you enter the number of your re-entry permit in the field for the visa number.

Corrections if needed, and answers would be appreciated.........................

The only additional thing I can think of is a reminder that once you have the extension of stay, if you stay longer than 90 days in Thailand at a time you have to report this to the immigration office, but immigration will probably tell you that when they give you the extension of stay. The report is made with the form TM.47 which you can download here. The report can be made in person or by mail.

Please feel free to ask any other question, before and/or after your arrival in Thailand, and to participate in ThaiVisa in any of the many forums you like.

--

Maestro

Thank you one and all!

I think that with all of your last posts, everything has jelled in my mind, and that from here forward any questions that come up I can deal with from these and my pervious experience in dealing with Thia officials "in authority".

I want to be careful here, to thank all who have taken their time to detail these ins' and outs for me in such crisp detail. THANK YOU!

I will return these favors by trying to be as helpful to others who need help as well.

Take care,

Petruchio