Retirement Visa Question

An old friend of mine wants to move out to Thailand for good.

He's 65 and in poor health (probably won't get far past 70 in my amateur

opinion), has a fair amount of money in the bank (in excess of £100k)

and a healthy pension (about £800 pcm in total).

He has progressive emphysema so can't walk far or fast, and even then only with a

stick. I initially thought a retirement visa would be the way to go

but he has a serious criminal record from many years ago and I believe they

do a CRB check for a retirement visa (though not sure about this).

Entering on a Tourist visa presents other problems that visa runs may be a little

arduous physically for him. He wants to come over there before the

end of this year, and intends never to leave again. So, taking all

this into account, whaddya reckon would be his best course of action?

He could get a retirement extension without a problem by getting here and moving 800K baht into a Thai bank. His pension comes up a bit short of the 65K number but he could use the combination method and put 300K in the bank and do it also.

He should get a single entry non O visa from Hull or one of the other honorary consulates in the UK since he is over 50 those are easy to get. He can do it by mail to any of them (not the embassy in London though). This would give him 90 days to deposit the money and have it in the bank for 60 days which should not be problem to do.

There is no background check required for a retirement extension or a non O visa. It is only required for a non OA visa that he would have to get in person at the embassy in London.

Edited by ubonjoe

He could get a retirement extension without a problem by getting here and moving 800K baht into a Thai bank. His pension comes up a bit short of the 65K number but he could use the combination method and put 300K in the bank and do it also.

He should get a single entry non O visa from Hull or one of the other honorary consulates in the UK since he is over 50 those are easy to get. He can do it by mail to any of them (not the embassy in London though). This would give him 90 days to deposit the money and have it in the bank for 60 days which should not be problem to do.

There is no background check required for a retirement extension or a non O visa. It is only required for a non OA visa that he would have to get in person at the embassy in London.

Joe: If he goes the combo method I thought the funds did not have to be seasoned?

Since you said he was in bad health..

Would the medical exam required in the retirement ( O-A ) visa cause him some problems?

The discussion thus far has not been about getting an OA visa.

The medical certificate for a OA is only for communicable diseases not overall health.

Thinking about it, I have a few more questions if that is ok?

1) Is a "single entry non O visa" just a non-immigrant visa applied

for in the home country?

2) I assume the "combination method" involves topping up your pension

to the required level from your savings. Correct? Or does a higher

level of savings actually reduce the pension requirement?

3) What is the required pension for this method?

4) Is it possible - or indeed necessary - to open a bank account

over there and transfer funds prior to arrival? If so, do you have a

suggestion as to what bank would be the best?

1. It is a non-immigrant visa, based on a reason. The "O" category is, among others, for retirees. You don't have to apply for it in your home country.

2. The combi method means a combination of yearly income and money in the bank totaling 800,000 baht.

3. There is no required minimum income for the combi method, as long as the combination totals 800,000.

4. No need. But you will have to open a bankaccount soon after you arrive if you want to use the money in the bank option, as the money needs to be there for at leasst 2 months. So after you arrive you need to transfer money to a bankaccount in Thailand.

1. Yes, but can be got in other countries.

2. Top up the Annual Pension to 800,000 Baht with savings.

3. For pension alone 65,000 Baht a month. For combination, whatever the pension happens to be plus the savings.

4. He would have to be in Thailand to open a bank account. A bit of leg work may be required until he finds one that will accept him. Kasikorn and SCB are reported to be helpful.

4. No need. But you will have to open a bankaccount soon after you arrive if you want to use the money in the bank option, as the money needs to be there for at leasst 2 months. So after you arrive you need to transfer money to a bankaccount in Thailand.

Money needs to be in the bank for at least 2 months only if you use the 800k bank balance method; no time period if you use the combination method of pension/income and savings.

Further question relating to the combination method of part pension part cash. I feel that some of the following questions have been dealt with in previous replies, but will give us a clearer understanding.

As the pension does not meet the monthly requirement of 65,000 baht/month and would need topping up with a cash amount:

1) does the top up amount need to be in a thai bank?

2) does that top up amount need to be present in a Thai bank account before applying for the retirement visa?

3) could it be a certified UK bank statement?

4) can a Thai bank account be opened from the UK?

The persons ill health will restrict the amount of travel the retiree would be able to sustain i.e. prefer that only one trip be made for retirement to Thailand.

Thanks again

The money in the bank has to be in a bankaccount in Thailand. When you use the combi option, it doesn't have to be here for a specified ammmount of time, as long as it is there when you do the extension.

I don't think you can open-up a bankaccount in Thailand form the UK, but somebody might correct me.

Further question relating to the combination method of part pension part cash. I feel that some of the following questions have been dealt with in previous replies, but will give us a clearer understanding.

As the pension does not meet the monthly requirement of 65,000 baht/month and would need topping up with a cash amount:

1) does the top up amount need to be in a thai bank?

2) does that top up amount need to be present in a Thai bank account before applying for the retirement visa?

3) could it be a certified UK bank statement?

4) can a Thai bank account be opened from the UK?

The persons ill health will restrict the amount of travel the retiree would be able to sustain i.e. prefer that only one trip be made for retirement to Thailand.

Thanks again

1. Yes

2. Yes But it is not a visa it is an extension of stay based upon retirement.

3/4 No

He will only need to make one trip to Thailand. If he gets the single entry non-o visa from Hull it will be one simple trip to immigration.

Since he will have a non immigrant visa that may make it easier for him to open a bank account. Then when he has the money in the bank he will get a confirmation letter from the bank. Then make copies of the bank book.

He will need an income letter from the embassy in Bangkok or the consulates in Pattaya or Chiang Mai.

Then the trip to immigration for the extension.