Thailand PM calls urgent meeting with economy ministers

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin called for an urgent meeting with economy ministers to discuss short-term economic stimulus measures to address Thailand’s sluggish economic performance in the first quarter of 2024.

More short term measures... but hey, we are in the hub of short term.

• Like 1

Obviously he is the last to know that the crystal ball is very tarnished & the wand is broken.

The level of corruption, the lack of real infrastructure like sewerage treatment, a lazy police force that no Government is even prepared to tackle, sufficient potable water storage to name but a few all had to come together sooner or later to 

restrict the development & expansion of the tourism sector.

A halfwit could have seen this 20 years ago, that you cannot just keep taking & not giving

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Purdey said:

What is the government going to do? Giving debtors the ability to borrow more or default on loans is foolish. Also commercial banks have clearly not filtered out risky borrowers. It's a terrible position for everyone.

Agree. I don't understand how that works, your in a low paid job, no collateral, but can borrow money to get into debt or more debt with no chance of ever paying it back, I'm a very long way from being anyway near a financial wizard, but 1 + 1 = 2 not 2.03

Edited by brianthainess

wow... and they are about to make it impossible for small shops who sell weed to keep selling it very soon... talk about contradictions. thousands soon unemployed and shops closing....

• Thumbs Up 1

Give the Thai's 10.000, but first give the shops notice to be able to stock up on witch's brew and cigarettes, it won't go towards any debt repayment and I doubt it will come to me from the family members we have baled out

Given the ongoing incrementally  enhanced forex rates in favour of expats seemingly due to an equal and opposite devaluation of the Baht as of the moment it is quite understandable there is a sense of urgency for "collective" economy ministers.

One thing I am grateful for is that I am not involved in the bs and machinations of those whose task is to defend and protect the financial status and ambitions of the elite ! Anywhere.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

One proposal on the table is to create a war room to monitor the economic situation.

Why didn't the captain of the Titanic think of that? 

Wow a meeting....that will solve the crisis, but how can they fit a meeting in with all of Srettha's travel commitments? And oooh and "to discuss an urgent a short term stimulus measures", that'll be sure to solve the long term economic issues won't it? Nah, let's go back to Italy and discuss silk elephant ties. 

What about investments and capital inflows from abroad? I think the announcement of the new tax regulations for money transfers from abroad has unsettled many people. There are definitely a lot of expats but also Thais with fat overseas accounts who have put their money transfers/investments on the back burner. The straw man company model with which many foreigners want to secure their investments in land/house/business has also come under fire. And the paperwork for everything, be it setting up a company/work permit/registration obligations/visas/residence permits, has increased dramatically. Anyone who hinders capital inflows and complicates the framework conditions for investments should not be surprised if growth fails to materialize.

• Like 1