Maid Without Passport

I am new in Thailand and have taken over a (fantastic) maid from Burma. She needs to go back to get a passport and is asking me if I would arrange the Visa. She does have a workpermit from some Stevedoring company until next year, which actually baffles me.

Can anyone give me some advice if this is relatively normal or if I got myself trouble. She does not live in.

Thanks.

Why can't she just go to the Myanmar (Burma) Embassy and get a new one issued? Thai immigration would then be able to look up her paper work and put necessary stamps in new passport.

Good question, I do not know. All I know is that she needs to go and spend quite some money in Burma to get a passport (30k Baht from her own pocket, I am not paying anything). I suspect that she is also going on leave as she will be gone for a month, her mother will work during that month for me.

?confused....

Why can't she just go to the Myanmar (Burma) Embassy and get a new one issued? Thai immigration would then be able to look up her paper work and put necessary stamps in new passport.

Good question, I do not know. All I know is that she needs to go and spend quite some money in Burma to get a passport (30k Baht from her own pocket, I am not paying anything). I suspect that she is also going on leave as she will be gone for a month, her mother will work during that month for me.

?confused....

Hi there.

I dont want to make you paranoid or something here.

But just be carefull now.

The last thing you want is to get involved in some sort of illegal immigrant/worker case.

You mentioned she needed a pass port.

Did you mean, a NEW pass port?

I hope so.

If she works for this Stevedoring company, why does she need your help?

Should not the company she represents help her out?

Is she paying this other company to help her to be in Thailand, but works illegal as a maid for you?

Finally, she actually has 30K she can spend?

You must really be paying her well.

If you are caught with a maid or anyone in your house with no visa to work or no ID you are liable to a 60,000 baht fine.I do not know the circumstances but best if you are new here to get rid of her. Burmese people are lovely most of the time and I'am sure you will feel sorry for her but you will be locked up..during **** reign here he cleared out many Burmese and they were given a amnesty to get a work permit up to about 5 years ago but not now..Yes some people may have the know how to sort this out but not you..You will be locked up!!!!!! Be wise here....

I am new in Thailand and have taken over a (fantastic) maid from Burma. She needs to go back to get a passport and is asking me if I would arrange the Visa. She does have a workpermit from some Stevedoring company until next year, which actually baffles me.

Can anyone give me some advice if this is relatively normal or if I got myself trouble. She does not live in.

Thanks.

Hi , no, you are not in trouble, but you will need to get that problem fixed ASAP. If you need help [email protected] are you in Bangkok.?

Firstly, don’t stress.

There is an entire community of Burmese domestic helpers here in Thailand…long used by locals and expats alike. Many of them are simply much better workers than Thai’s for the same jobs, and are more motivated.

So, do whatever you can to get her legal, or keep her legal.

There are a number of ways that Burmese stay in Thailand.

The first, and most obvious one, is illegally, but they are subject to arrest and deportation and have no access to welfare services.

The second is via special work permits granted to Burmese, as well as Cambodian and Laos nationals to take on menial labour, household related, or simple adminstrative jobs. It requires a Thai company or individual (thai definetly, though I suspect a non-Thai is permitted) to hire them, and the migrant worker will be issued with work rights, an ID card, access to the public health system, and their kids, if born in Thailand, can go to Thai schools etc. (I'd make sure that your maid is not already under this system......if she is, and is still legal, then she can easily extend her stay with a new employer sponsoring her. Ask her if she already has an ID card).

The only catch with this second option is that the government only opens up NEW registration under this system once per year, usually only for 4 to 6 weeks. Unfortunately, for 2009, registrations closed at the end of July. We just went through this process to legalise our Maid’s status, as it lapsed temporarily as she changed employers. Those who miss out on this process, remain illegal. (nb...under this system, all burmese, laotions and cambodians will be issued a special cross border passport early next year...but that will be issued in Thailand). But as mentioned, if she is already legal with an ID card, she can easily extend her stay, all year around.

The third option is the one that you describe, and the one open to all foreigners who want to work in Thailand. She needs a proper passport and proper non-immigrant visa to enter the country, after which the employer gets work permits sorted. You’ll need to figure out how that is done, so maybe ask the brains trust in the visa section of the forum.

The final alternative, though not strictly legal, to this third option is to enroll your maid in Thai classes, and get her attending a legitimate Thai school. This will allow her to enter Thailand on an education visa, attend classes, but also work for you under the table. Quite a few people do it that way.

Edited by samran

The second is via special work permits granted to Burmese, as well as Cambodian and Laos nationals. It requires a Thai company or individual to hire them, and the migrant worker will be issued with work rights, an ID card, access to the public health system, and their kids, if born in Thailand, can go to Thai schools etc.

The only catch with this second option is that the government only opens up registration under this system once per year, usually only for 4 to 6 weeks. Unfortunately, for 2009, registrations closed at the end of July. We just went through this process to legalise our Maid’s status, as it lapsed temporarily as she changed employers. Those who miss out on this process, remain illegal.

It is relatively cheap to go down this path, 1900B for the application & (we paid) 1900B for the health examination. All, in all, about a day of stuffing around.

Don't leave it until the last day of the application period, as the queues are horrendous.

The second is via special work permits granted to Burmese, as well as Cambodian and Laos nationals. It requires a Thai company or individual to hire them, and the migrant worker will be issued with work rights, an ID card, access to the public health system, and their kids, if born in Thailand, can go to Thai schools etc.

The only catch with this second option is that the government only opens up registration under this system once per year, usually only for 4 to 6 weeks. Unfortunately, for 2009, registrations closed at the end of July. We just went through this process to legalise our Maid’s status, as it lapsed temporarily as she changed employers. Those who miss out on this process, remain illegal.

It is relatively cheap to go down this path, 1900B for the application & (we paid) 1900B for the health examination. All, in all, about a day of stuffing around.

Don't leave it until the last day of the application period, as the queues are horrendous.

tis indeed a good route and the paperwork wasn't horrendous. I guess my office was a bit faster, but thats more to do with the amount of people applying. Still waiting for ID card in the mail though.

As said though, the OP needs to check that his maid isn't already under this programme. Changing employers should be pretty straight forward.

Maid + No passport = Trouble.

Kick her out. Get a legal maid thru a reputable agency.

I am inclined to agree with this advice.

Though I would source the new maid through Thai friends, not an agency.

Thanks for all the great advice. I will probably go the way samran is proposing and have already the application. As she has an ID already, I guess it is a question of changing employer. Her workpermit expires February 2010 so should not be a problem here.

I did get her through someone that is leaving, she has worked for that family for 4 years and they were also very happy with her.

Anyway, I probably pay her waaaaaayyyyyyyyy to much for her to ever want to leave.

Thanks for all the great advice. I will probably go the way samran is proposing and have already the application. As she has an ID already, I guess it is a question of changing employer. Her workpermit expires February 2010 so should not be a problem here.

I did get her through someone that is leaving, she has worked for that family for 4 years and they were also very happy with her.

Anyway, I probably pay her waaaaaayyyyyyyyy to much for her to ever want to leave.

Good news then..

Technically, she should swich sponsors as soon as she changes employment...

Just a note on the work permits. For all those under the migran labour programme, all permits expire in Feb 2010, which is when the government move over the new 'system' of passports.

Right at the end of us registering our maid, we were given a form to fill in which would be the application form for our maid to get her special passport. She should head down to the labour office and get this form, and then submit it, as this needs to go in before the end of the year for her to stay legal...

Good news then..

Technically, she should swich sponsors as soon as she changes employment...

Just a note on the work permits. For all those under the migran labour programme, all permits expire in Feb 2010, which is when the government move over the new 'system' of passports.

Right at the end of us registering our maid, we were given a form to fill in which would be the application form for our maid to get her special passport. She should head down to the labour office and get this form, and then submit it, as this needs to go in before the end of the year for her to stay legal...

Thanks again samran, will follow your advice.

They opened the books for new registrations last month. I don't know if it is still open, we went through the hoops to get a Burma's wife registered as a maid. As has been said cheap but tedious. I took a book to read. while my wife did the sorting out.

• 3 weeks later...
Firstly, don’t stress.

There is an entire community of Burmese domestic helpers here in Thailand…long used by locals and expats alike. Many of them are simply much better workers than Thai’s for the same jobs, and are more motivated.

So, do whatever you can to get her legal, or keep her legal.

There are a number of ways that Burmese stay in Thailand.

The first, and most obvious one, is illegally, but they are subject to arrest and deportation and have no access to welfare services.

The second is via special work permits granted to Burmese, as well as Cambodian and Laos nationals to take on menial labour, household related, or simple adminstrative jobs. It requires a Thai company or individual (thai definetly, though I suspect a non-Thai is permitted) to hire them, and the migrant worker will be issued with work rights, an ID card, access to the public health system, and their kids, if born in Thailand, can go to Thai schools etc. (I'd make sure that your maid is not already under this system......if she is, and is still legal, then she can easily extend her stay with a new employer sponsoring her. Ask her if she already has an ID card).

The only catch with this second option is that the government only opens up NEW registration under this system once per year, usually only for 4 to 6 weeks. Unfortunately, for 2009, registrations closed at the end of July. We just went through this process to legalise our Maid’s status, as it lapsed temporarily as she changed employers. Those who miss out on this process, remain illegal. (nb...under this system, all burmese, laotions and cambodians will be issued a special cross border passport early next year...but that will be issued in Thailand). But as mentioned, if she is already legal with an ID card, she can easily extend her stay, all year around.

The third option is the one that you describe, and the one open to all foreigners who want to work in Thailand. She needs a proper passport and proper non-immigrant visa to enter the country, after which the employer gets work permits sorted. You’ll need to figure out how that is done, so maybe ask the brains trust in the visa section of the forum.

The final alternative, though not strictly legal, to this third option is to enroll your maid in Thai classes, and get her attending a legitimate Thai school. This will allow her to enter Thailand on an education visa, attend classes, but also work for you under the table. Quite a few people do it that way.

Hi Samran - hoping you can help - I have struggled for months to find a Thai lady to live with us and help out our family to no avail. I have found a few Phillippino ladies in BKK, but non of them want to move to Phuket. Finally, I found a Burmese lady who is happy to move, but has said that her visa is only legal in the Nth. Could you advise on what we should do as I'm in desperate need of some help and would love to get her down here asap! cheers and thanks heaps in advance :)

I'm far from an expert on this, but as I understand, if she is currently legal here, it is a matter of transfering her employment to a new sponsor (ie...you). So first, you need to check that she is legal....if she isn't, then you need to wait to employer legally during the window where they open up new registrations. Usually happens once a year, but by no means guaranteed.

Assuming she is legal, I think things get a touch complex when you are going cross-province. She needs to be taken off the books at her local ampur where she is registered and has a work permit, and then re-registered in your district.

I'm not entirely sure how it is done...best go to your local district office to see what the process is. If they fail to help, go to the labour office.

I have heard anecdotally that both foreigners and Thais can legally sponsor a maid, but I don't know what the district offices have to say. It may mean that your spouse (is she Thai, registered in Phuket?) be the official employer/sponsor.

I think if the lady who you want to hire has been around for a while, she'll know fellow burmese who know the ropes and who act as agents....for a small fee, they can probably handle the bureacracy for you. I was quoted 8,000 baht at one point, but ended up doing it myself after I understood the ins and outs.

If she is illegal here now, the only option is to have her go back to burma, get a passport. You then need to sponsor her to go through the normal work permit channels. A number of english speaking phillina maids are employed...on work permits, but they still have to leave the country every 90 days. but at least they are legal.

Edited by samran

hi there

am just wondering if is it really possible for filipinas to acquire a work permit here working as maids? and how to apply for this permit.

is there anyone here employed a filipina maid legally? we're new here also in thailand and trying to find ways to make this legal without doing this visa run every three months

• 3 months later...

Samran;

"The second is via special work permits granted to Burmese, as well as Cambodian and Laos nationals to take on menial labour, household related, or simple adminstrative jobs. It requires a Thai company or individual (thai definetly, though I suspect a non-Thai is permitted) to hire them, and the migrant worker will be issued with work rights, an ID card, access to the public health system,:

What visa should she apply for before she arrives in Thailand? A type B non imm? Do i need send any paperwork to her there before she applies?

I need to know as of today (as all stated this was for July) what I need to do to get my Cambodian nanny a migrant work permit. I sent ya a PM>

would it be easier if a thai applied or does it matter? I have many thai friends that have business that would be willing to help me if there is a quota or such. I am on a retirement extension

Edited by phuketrichard