Champions League On Television

pattayamike

Shouldn't the Competition really be called the " Champions of the lesser European Countries, Runners up of the more influential Leagues, Third Placed & sometimes even Fourth Placed Teams, League " ??

Are you saying that England, Spain, Italy, France and Germany are "lesser European Countries"?

Shouldn't the Competition really be called the " Champions of the lesser European Countries, Runners up of the more influential Leagues, Third Placed & sometimes even Fourth Placed Teams, League " ??

Are you saying that England, Spain, Italy, France and Germany are "lesser European Countries"?

Of course i'm not, read it again...

Champions mainly of th lesser Counteries with the odd Runners up, like Celtic, being knocked out in the Qualifiers by a Team who finised 4th in their domestic League..

Champions League my arse...

Edited by MSingh

After all the problems surrounding last season's FA Cup I notice in the Septenmber True Schedules there is no mention of Champions League games either on Truesports or ESPNStar!

Anybody have any info?

They are certainly not yet listed in True's online schedule. This far ahead they may not show the actual matches that will be covered, but they usually list it as "Champions League" or similar.

The ESPNSTAR online schedule won't be available for a few days yet, and Thai Channel 3 & 7 online schedule probably won't be available for a couple of weeks yet.

As both the Thai channels have covered the qualifying rounds, I think it's likely that they will continue with the competition proper, but I'm not so sure at this stage about ESPN.

Champions mainly of th lesser Counteries with the odd Runners up, like Celtic, being knocked out in the Qualifiers by a Team who finised 4th in their domestic League..

You know one reason I rarely post on these boards is the invariable rudeness of people like you!

This thread was purely about televising a series of football matches, not the possible "misleading" name of the competion!

I found this ESPN press release which states that they have the rights to Champions League matches from 2009-10 season for Malaysia, Brunei, and China. It does say "renewed", so it's not a new contract. No mention of Thailand, but we may be covered by a different contract.

http://www.espnstar.com/corporate/press-re...ase/item153906/

ESPN STAR Sports Secures Rights to UEFA Champions League for Malaysia, Brunei and China; adds UEFA Europa League for China

17 November 2008, Singapore: ESPN STAR Sports has renewed a multi-year exclusive agreement with Europe's governing body of football, UEFA, for multi-platform rights on a Pay basis to the UEFA Champions' League for Malaysia and Brunei, and English language Pay TV rights for the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League for China for the 2009/10 - 2011/12 seasons.

In Malaysia and Brunei, ESPN STAR Sports will maintain exclusive Pay TV, broadband and mobile broadcast rights for all UEFA Champions' League matches, from the group stages to the Final in these key markets. The agreement also provides ESS with the right to broadcast the Super Cup, the annual match between the winners of the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. The deal will see ESS deliver up to a total of 146 games, which also includes the right to air UEFA-produced magazine shows and for ESS produce its own in-house highlight shows.

For China, ESPN STAR Sports has secured a landmark deal for the exclusive English-language Pay TV rights for the UEFA Champions League and for the first time, the UEFA Europa League. In total, ESPN STAR Sports will have rights to broadcast over 350 games in China for these two leagues.

Said Mr Manu Sawhney, Managing Director, ESPN STAR Sports, "We share a fruitful relationship with UEFA and we are delighted to continue our partnership with them. This agreement is a testament to our commitment of building the UEFA Champions League by presenting it in the most innovative and entertaining manner to millions of fans in China, Malaysia and Brunei."

Said UEFA, "UEFA is extremely happy that its longstanding relationship with ESPN STAR Sports in China is set to continue. For many years ESPN STAR Sports has excelled as a broadcast partner of UEFA and we look forward to working together in the future, not only on the UEFA Champions League but also for the first time in China, on the UEFA Europa League.

We are also delighted to have concluded another deal with ESPN STAR Sports in Asia and we are confident that they will continue to do a great job of bringing UEFA's premier club football competition to football fans in Malaysia and Brunei."

This latest agreement completes an already stellar list of the world's biggest football properties on ESPN STAR Sports' network, which includes comprehensive coverage of the Barclays Premier League, the FA Cup and Senior and Under-21 England Team home matches. ESPN STAR Sports also produces close to 1,500 hours of original football content a year, including programmes like Nokia Football Crazy, Football Focus, Football Forecast, Goals and Football Extra, catering to a wide range of audiences from the serious football fan to the armchair spectator.

Okay I understand this but if you go to ESPNSTAR website you have a dropdown list of countries, starting with China. The China schedule shows CL games for September plus Highlight shows. Dropdown to Thailand and no CL programming whatsoever. That is my point!

Okay I understand this but if you go to ESPNSTAR website you have a dropdown list of countries, starting with China. The China schedule shows CL games for September plus Highlight shows. Dropdown to Thailand and no CL programming whatsoever. That is my point!

What is your URL for this? I can only find schedules on the ESPNSTAR website up to September 13th and the first CL match is on the 15th.

I have always found the ESPNSTAR website to be difficult to navigate, so I've obviously missed the info that you found, please provide the link.

I agree with you entirely that, at the moment, there is no indication that ESPN will be covering the matches in Thailand.

You know one reason I rarely post on these boards is the invariable rudeness of people like you!

This thread was purely about televising a series of football matches, not the possible "misleading" name of the competion!

Bore off & lighten up, i'm only on my Monday wind up... :)

I think the problem is that the ESPN games are sponsored by Tiger Beer and as beer ads cannot be shown in Thailand there is no commercial reason for ESPN to buy the Thai rights. This is a big loss and I'm not looking forward to watching with Thai commentary. It started with the FA cup and now it is the Champions League

I think previously ESPNStar broadcast CL feeds from their parent company ESPN Inc in America. Since ESPN Inc lost the rights to Fox Sports, ESPNStar here have to bid for rights by themselves, not depends by their parent company in US anymore. So in Thai case, maybe True not even bother to secure the rights via Espnstar but free channel.

I think most ESPN Star Sports channels in Asia also do not broadcast CL except China and Malaysia (based on TV Guide in espnstar.com). Maybe sports director in respective countries want to broadcast via ESPNStar. Not even in Brunei also (one member mentioned ESPN Star secured the rights for Brunei before).

I think the problem is that the ESPN games are sponsored by Tiger Beer and as beer ads cannot be shown in Thailand there is no commercial reason for ESPN to buy the Thai rights. This is a big loss and I'm not looking forward to watching with Thai commentary. It started with the FA cup and now it is the Champions League

Well we are in Thailand, however if you have UBC/True then the Thai channels have English commentary

It confirmed now that ch 3 and 7 are the CL broadcast right holders in Thailand. I emailed the person who in charge for CL broadcast rights (you can find in uefa.com).

Here is the reply:

from Manuel Kost, T.E.A.M. <[email protected]>

to "******@gmail.com" <******@gmail.com>

date Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 6:27 PM

subject RE: Broadcast Right in Thailand

Hi ******,

Channel 3 and Channel 7 are the UEFA Champions League rights holders in Thailand.

Best regards,

Manuel

• 2 weeks later...

Channel 7 are showing the Man U match on Tuesday night and the Liverpool match on Wednesday night (no surprise there).

Channel 3 are just saying "Champions League 2009/10" My guess is that they will show the Real Madrid and Inter Milan matches, but it is only a guess.

Edited by delboy

With ESPN/Star Sports we got 9 or 10 Group Stage matches live or on delay.

Any idea if Channel 3 or 7 will show additional matches on delay? If not, we'll be getting a lot less coverage.

TrueSports airs BarcaTV, BayernTV, ManUTV, ChelseaTV and LiverpoolTV... if you can wait a couple of days, you can watch those clubs' UCL matches there, too.

Any idea if Channel 3 or 7 will show additional matches on delay? If not, we'll be getting a lot less coverage.

TrueSports airs BarcaTV, BayernTV, ManUTV, ChelseaTV and LiverpoolTV... if you can wait a couple of days, you can watch those clubs' UCL matches there, too.

Channel 3 and 7 schedule for first 2 matchdays listed here:

http://www.ch7.com/activities/activities_d...contentId=47058

TU 15 Sep Ch 3 Chelsea v Porto ; Ch 7 Besiktas v Man U

W 16 Sep Ch 3 Inter v Barca; Ch 7 Liverpool v Debreceni

TU 29 Sep Ch 3 Fiorentina v Liverpool; Ch 7 Arsenal v Olympiacos

W 30 Sep Ch 3 Man U v Wolfsburg; Ch 7 APOEL v Chelsea

Wow, that is pretty annoying as when ESPN/Star had Thailand rights they would show live matches and then even more on delay. And even though they had the rights, the Thai channels would still show some anyways so the Thai channels having the rights exclusively just means less coverage for football fans. Bad news all around for football fans who pay for satellite cable. Hope they will still have the English language option for those who watch on True Visions.

Real disappointing this, True visions just doesn't seem worth the monthly bill anymore. What next no EPL games.

Dev, let's wait and see what really happens tonight and tomorrow. But I tend to agree with you regarding True - I have the gold package and I don't remember the last time I watched a movie on any of their channels.

Real disappointing this, True visions just doesn't seem worth the monthly bill anymore. What next no EPL games.

Which is why I did some sums a couple of years ago and consequently canceled my UBC/True subscription. My thought behind it, was for nearly 1500 baht per month it wasn't worth it, when all I was using it for was watching football.

The Thai channels 3 & 7 have always shown the Champions leagues games live, and I can cope with the Thai commentary (the players names are always the same - and there are some naff British commentators anyway) The Premier League matches are always shown in all my local bars and I can view what games I like with a bunch of fans (be they Thai or westerners who enjoy a good game just for the fun of it and even join in their (unofficial ) predictions game.

If all else fails I can still watch nearly any game I want via streaming - It may not be perfect quality but it's fine by me who grew up on gas driven radio commentaries by Kenneth Wolstenholme.

Sorry True you just don't give value for money. :D

Here endeth the rant........... :)

P.S. I do actually have cable TV and get some Champions League games in English, but one never knows who or what is coming, as it's a mixture of channels from S.Africa and someone seems to decide on the night what is going to be screened in Thailand...

Edited by LeungKen

Not quite correct.....Arsenal match is Weds night..thurs here

The list looks ok to me, the Arsenal match quoted is for Matchday 2 When they do play on Tuesday 29th. The Arsenal match for Wednesday 16th is not being shown live on Thai TV.

The list looks ok to me, the Arsenal match quoted is for Matchday 2 When they do play on Tuesday 29th. The Arsenal match for Wednesday 16th is not being shown live on Thai TV.

I know this is confusing stuff guys so let me add my suggestion. For midweek games in Europe, add +1 to the date and you will figure out if it is a wed or tues or thursday here. :):D