Suvarnabhumi Airport Link Sets Soft Launch For December 5

george

In BKK/Thailand we are blessed with probably the cheapest public transportation in the world. The quality is good. Cars are usually of fairly good quality. Out of several hundrer taxi fares, I can't say I had much problems. And I usually give a good tip every time. These guys deserve it, driving around in traffic, 12 hours shifts.

Here is how much a taxi farewould cost in Norway (todays exchange rate NOK/THB):

Minimum price: 658 Baht

Startup rate: 278 Baht

Per km: 118 Baht

Waiting (red light etc): 2925 Baht/hour

So a trip from the Swampy to BKK (about 35km) would cost you around 4,400.00 Baht. If you the same trip in the evening (4900 Baht), or at night time during a weekend with your family with 5 persons, about 10,000 Baht. The prices is from their website. http://www.citytaxi.no/priser.shtml

Enough said!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder whether anyone remembers the aircon express from Don Meuang to Hua Lamphong? SRT wanted to offer farangs comfort and ended up in financial trouble when the farang started using the 10 baht local train and ignoring the express. I can imagine 150 Baht for an express TO the airport would be useful as one would know it takes a set time and wouldn't need to worry about traffic (except getting to Makkasan). But for many, arriving early morning at the airport for the first time, a slow local train to the city may well be more attractive an introduction to Thailand. I wonder whether the SRT will have to reconsider the fares once they cotton on to the fact they have spent a lot of money but people aren't using the service in the way they are expected to? Surely many people will opt for the 45-50 Baht local train?

As for the cost of services in other countries, this is rather misleading. The only way to know if it is more expensive abroad is to take the total fare and divide by the average wage to arrive at a percent. My guess is the average wage in Norway or wherever in the West is "slightly" higher than the average in Thailand.

Suvarnabhumi Airport Link sets soft launch for December 5

Transport for airport express riders and local commuters will run on the same track with the same equipment, but with a staggered schedule.

Premium-fare express services will run on the hour between Suvarnabhumi Airport and City Air Terminal, while the City Line service will stop at six local stations along the route.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-09-05

Are there passing tracks at some of the stations? I know in Japan, many (not all) stations have passing tracks for express trains.

TheWalkingMan

Suvarnabhumi Airport Link sets soft launch for December 5

Transport for airport express riders and local commuters will run on the same track with the same equipment, but with a staggered schedule.

Premium-fare express services will run on the hour between Suvarnabhumi Airport and City Air Terminal, while the City Line service will stop at six local stations along the route.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-09-05

Are there passing tracks at some of the stations? I know in Japan, many (not all) stations have passing tracks for express trains.

TheWalkingMan

Yes, every station will have a passing track for the express train.

I wonder whether anyone remembers the aircon express from Don Meuang to Hua Lamphong? SRT wanted to offer farangs comfort and ended up in financial trouble when the farang started using the 10 baht local train and ignoring the express. I can imagine 150 Baht for an express TO the airport would be useful as one would know it takes a set time and wouldn't need to worry about traffic (except getting to Makkasan). But for many, arriving early morning at the airport for the first time, a slow local train to the city may well be more attractive an introduction to Thailand. I wonder whether the SRT will have to reconsider the fares once they cotton on to the fact they have spent a lot of money but people aren't using the service in the way they are expected to? Surely many people will opt for the 45-50 Baht local train?.....................

I have always thought the same.

So the train stops at six stations en route? How much time are you saving by taking the express? If there is no difference in in the quality of the trains, what's the point?

Most trains to the airport in other countries stop at stations on the way.

Just leave a little earlier and enjoy the cheaper ride.

How much time are you saving by taking the express?

You're unlikely to save any time by taking the express if service is limited to a single train hourly. Any time potentially saved on an express will in many cases be lost to waiting for the next departing train. I've got a feeling that this frequency of service is something they'll need to address once the train is up and running.

Nice to have another option to get from Suvarnabhumi to town and vice-versa but I think the usefulness of the rail service is really dependent upon how many people are traveling in a single party and where a traveler is going to/coming from in Bangkok.

Financial benefits a really arguable here. Taxi cost about 350 thb door to door. For a single traveller, that could make it. For 2, that starts to be a little more difficult. 3 or 4 and it is definitely more expensive. How many travellers are travelling alone ???

hmmmmmm.......i cant see a family of 4 westeners, all with 20kg luggage allowance, squeezing there suitcases into the boot of one of the taxis somehow....would probably need 2 cabs :)

Surely picking up a taxi in the heart of the city is better than getting one on the outskirts (airport) that then has to drive into the city anyway?

This is probably good if you live in central ish Bangkok.

BTW there is never much traffic congestion as you come out of the airport and move towards the Rama 9 / expressway corridor. It gets busy when you move off the expressway depending on the time.

Too many people whinging about a service that hasn't even started. You guys must order shit loads of beer, cos your glasses are always half empty.

Lighten up. When has any service been 100% useful for 100% of the users?

As for price, the airport is some 25km outside of Bangkok and will undoubtably be safer and less scary than a F1 taxi ride.

I work in Iraq and the most dangerous part of my tour is the journey to and from BKK airport by taxi!!!!!! For short trips abroad I leave my car in the short term car park despite the daily costs of 250 baht per day. Better than risking my life on the (lack of) abilities of a Bkk cabbie.

This link will give an opportunity for the 'taxi ripoff brigade' an alternative to whinge about. I have been in thousands of taxis in Bangkok, and have only experienced a few trying to clock up milage. just ask them where they are going (in Thai) pai nai? and they soon get the idea you know your way around. Try telling them you have a car and drive in Bkk every day. Not too hard to learn and say. Saves hassle and a need to report your displeasures on Thaiwhinger. Their biggest fault is a lack of safety knowledge and a misplaced belief in fate and the multiple of lucky charms obscuring their forward view.

Edited by teddy_bare

May be more expensive than a taxi if there are 3 or 4 of you but hey don't forget the speed and comfort that the train will offer in comparison. One little worry is will you be able to get on these trains at busy times as waiting a further hour for the next express will be a big downer. Hope they are pretty long trains with plenty of seats as no way would I want to stand for the journey then a taxi would be preferable.

Anyway great news and a great positive step for Thailand :)

Will the train station be right in the airport terminal or will it require a taxi trip to reach? <methinks

The Google maps seem to have it at the Novotel Hotel?

Financial benefits a really arguable here. Taxi cost about 350 thb door to door. For a single traveller, that could make it. For 2, that starts to be a little more difficult. 3 or 4 and it is definitely more expensive. How many travellers are travelling alone ???

hmmmmmm.......i cant see a family of 4 westeners, all with 20kg luggage allowance, squeezing there suitcases into the boot of one of the taxis somehow....would probably need 2 cabs :D

Yes! It would be way more fun watching them trundle along a railway platform and take up 8 seats in a coach. :)

May be more expensive than a taxi if there are 3 or 4 of you but hey don't forget the speed and comfort that the train will offer in comparison. One little worry is will you be able to get on these trains at busy times as waiting a further hour for the next express will be a big downer. Hope they are pretty long trains with plenty of seats as no way would I want to stand for the journey then a taxi would be preferable.

Anyway great news and a great positive step for Thailand :)

Will the train station be right in the airport terminal or will it require a taxi trip to reach? <methinks

The Google maps seem to have it at the Novotel Hotel?

I think it will be on the basement level of the main terminal, so could be 3 levels down from arrivals and 5 levels up to depatures.

Just a guess based on how the tracks appear to go into the terminal.

TH

Anyone know just what the logistics are between getting off the train at the airport and getting to check in ? I think this will be the make or break.

With taxis (and taxis are so cheap in relative terms), you can just walk straight into check in.

As they built it from scratch, the train should come in under the airport.

Are there still plans to have airline check-in counters at the Makkasan terminal where you check your luggage as well? If so, that would make the process easier at the airport end when on an outbound flight.

travelling with 2 - 3 people you would be better of with a taxi, if you could find an honest one...

i guess also a nice double pricing for locals and farangs is in place

Since 1982, I've taken taxis from the airports into Bangkok more than 200 times, and have never been ripped off. Just pay the extra 50 baht and use the official service - you'll have no problem.

hear hear - have taken a taxi from SVB at least 20 times, and always pay approx the same to get downtown, about 280B plus the 50, plus the tollway. Never had a problem, never had a rip-off. I read above about some geezer going to the top floor to avoid the 50B. Does Thailand attract only penniless weasles, or do visitors morph into weasles according to the number of visits / time spent here?

Weasle who avoids 50B charge - you seem so proud! well done!

I used to sometimes go via the queue. I gave up - more hassles dealing with drivers in the queue trying to justify the wait, refusing meters and the usual rubbish. I recommend going upstairs and getting in a taxi just dropped someone off or being waved off by the officials - no problems there because they are so happy they have a return fair without dealing with the queues and officials. Paying the premium gives worse service if you have basic Thai language skills.

Anyone know just what the logistics are between getting off the train at the airport and getting to check in ? I think this will be the make or break.

With taxis (and taxis are so cheap in relative terms), you can just walk straight into check in.

As they built it from scratch, the train should come in under the airport.

Are there still plans to have airline check-in counters at the Makkasan terminal where you check your luggage as well? If so, that would make the process easier at the airport end when on an outbound flight.

There is.

This is the picture of inside the City Air Terminal. Check in your luggages here. Once you arrive at the airport, just walk to immigration.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php...p;postcount=847

It's not run by the same organization which runs the BTS (Skytrain) system, but to the average Joe it looks very similar; overhead track which look like a copy of BTS in terms of appearance, carriages look similar to BTS from outside (don't know what they look like inside but earlier reports indicated there will be special areas / racks or whatever for suitcases etc. ).

The Airport Link will be operated by a new operations company to be set up by the State Rail Authority of Thailand.

The Makksan Airport Link station is overhead (above the existing standard train line which has been there for many decades, the line that goes from Hualampong station to Don Muang station and then further to the North East etc.).

For this old line there is already a ground level old Makkasan Station which is about maybe 800 metres away from the new Makkasan overhead Airport Link station. There has been talk that a new Makkasan station might be built on the ground level directly under the overhead station so that passengers could quite easily transfer to the old train sytem, but this seems to have gone quiet.

Makkasan is about as central as your going to find, unless the governemnt was prepared to acquire massive amounts of land for another location, probably not justifyable.

Airport link overhead station platform will have an exit directly onto the Phya Thai BTS platforms. (Get off the airport link, walk about three minutes and your on BTS platform.)

It has taxi exits onto Payonyothin Road (perhaps it's called Phya Thai road in that spot, not sure), and also onto Rajarparop Road. Both taxi exits not all that far to entrances to several tollways.

Perfect for me, my condo is just around the corner from Makkasan, easy 10 minute or less walk even with a suitcase etc.

It's not run by the same organization which runs the BTS (Skytrain) system, but to the average Joe it looks very similar; overhead track which look like a copy of BTS in terms of appearance, carriages look similar to BTS from outside (don't know what they look like inside but earlier reports indicated there will be special areas / racks or whatever for suitcases etc. ).

The Airport Link will be operated by a new operations company to be set up by the State Rail Authority of Thailand.

The Makksan Airport Link station is overhead (above the existing standard train line which has been there for many decades, the line that goes from Hualampong station to Don Muang station and then further to the North East etc.).

For this old line there is already a ground level old Makkasan Station which is about maybe 800 metres away from the new Makkasan overhead Airport Link station. There has been talk that a new Makkasan station might be built on the ground level directly under the overhead station so that passengers could quite easily transfer to the old train sytem, but this seems to have gone quiet.

Makkasan is about as central as your going to find, unless the governemnt was prepared to acquire massive amounts of land for another location, probably not justifyable.

Airport link overhead station platform will have an exit directly onto the Phya Thai BTS platforms. (Get off the airport link, walk about three minutes and your on BTS platform.)

It has taxi exits onto Payonyothin Road (perhaps it's called Phya Thai road in that spot, not sure), and also onto Rajarparop Road. Both taxi exits not all that far to entrances to several tollways.

Perfect for me, my condo is just around the corner from Makkasan, easy 10 minute or less walk even with a suitcase etc.

Note that there will be some suitcase racks but if your suitcase is big, then you have to check it in. Your luggages then will be handled by the ARL and then transferred to your plane. You do not have to carry your own luggage. It's the same system just like what Hong Kong is having, pretty much.

The overheads we are talking about here is not the "elevated" track that I think you're trying to refer to. Overheads are what feed the trains the electricity. This overhead electrical feeding system exists pretty much everywhere in Europe but is fairly new to Thailand (if you don't count what Thailand used to have 50 years ago). BTS does not use overheads but the third rail.

Where is Makkasan area? How close (or far) is it from everything else, like Sukhumvit, MBK, Silom, Victory Monument?

here is a map SARL-Makkasan-Station-City-Air-Terminal

No map in my link looks like one of those l sepia Go Ogle earth fotos

A real street plan showng nearest taxi entrance and the real address

in Thai

may be useful to some and could be quicker in the rush times.

However hourly service is not very encouraging

As to the celebration and the date we'll only know on 6th of December

Phayathai is v near many hotels but still needs a taix transfer

Pathetic with a new System cannot get a unified ticket system for BTS MRT and SRT new link as done in Kobenhaven Amsterdam Dusseldorf Sydney etc

PS solution to Swampy touts is allow only departing passengers with tickets and passport holdrs accredited staff beyond the transport hub easiy arranged wont happen while corruption is derigeur and likely to increase as numbers shrink income per punter

I prefer exiting from C mai via KL which is far more relaxing

Edited by RubbaJohnny

The "three minutes walk" applies to Phaya Thai station of the airport link. This is NOT the express train from the airport which stops at City Air Terminal Makkasan. If you are in the express train from the airport and want to go to Phaya Thai you have to change to the slow train and travel two stations more. See this map. Of course you can take the slow train form the airport in the first place. It took me a while to work that out. :)

Edited by lothda

I always stay at Nana so what I gather from the last three pages to get there I would take the airport train to the last stop.Then have a 15 minute walk to a air train station which i could then ride to Polen Chit or Nana air train station.We usally can negotiate a taxi from the airport to Nana for 450Baht so maybe if two or more of us,a taxi will still be the way to travel.Be back end of october to December what with a new airport train and Thai Air now flying straight back to Brisbane and free tourist visa's for a year I'm just glad I'm a member of Thai Visa .com or I wouldn't know none of this new's keep up the good work.cheers

I live in Soi Nana and I've never paid more than 250 baht for a taxi from the airport to my home (not counting the 25 baht + 45 baht tollway fees.) The trick is not to try to negotiate the fare but rather to get the driver to use the meter. In any negotiation, the driver will always ask for a fare higher than what the meter would indicate. Otherwise there would be no point in him negotiating. And where is the benefit for the passenger to pay more than he should? Doesn't make sense.

Good point. For any location on east Sukhumvit, let's say Phrom Pong and above, the financial benefit is negligible, even for a single traveler. I took a taxi to Soi 41 from the airport 2 weeks ago, the meter was 180-190 bht, plus the 50 bht extra (the driver took an exit before toll), total 240 bht, and that was door to door.

Obviously one of those rare cases where the taxi driver didn't try to rip me off :)

The Airport Link will also connect with the Subway. I don't remember if it's at the Rama 9 station or the Petchaburi station. For people staying on Sukhumvit, this might be a better connection than the Phaya Thai BTS station.

Although it's called the Airport Rail Link, it will probably end up serving more commuters than air travelers. I used to work out on Pattangarn Road & this line would have made my commute out there much quicker and easier.

The Airport Link will also connect with the Subway. I don't remember if it's at the Rama 9 station or the Petchaburi station. For people staying on Sukhumvit, this might be a better connection than the Phaya Thai BTS station.

Although it's called the Airport Rail Link, it will probably end up serving more commuters than air travelers. I used to work out on Pattangarn Road & this line would have made my commute out there much quicker and easier.

30 minute frequency for commuter trains makes commuting unrealistic. With higher frequencies, airport link would be great for trips within the Bangkok.