Marriage Extension Vs Retirement Extension

Also easier to obtain permanent residency with marriage extension if have been working/paying tax for 3 years.

You apply for both retirement extension or marriage extension at the immigration office covering the area where you live.

Edited by thaiphoon

400,000 less in the bank is a big plus to me.

I think you've answered your own question here.

as long as you remember that when/if the marriage ends thro death or divorce of your spouse, you will need the funds to finance the retirement extension once again, dont rely solely on the 400,000 as you will then 800,000 once again.

Edited by Tafia

Don't forget IF you get "Income from pension/social welfare of not less than 65,000 Baht per month" you don't need to show a big sum (a seasoned 800K or 400K baht) in the bank for a retirement extension of stay. A pension letter from your home country embassy verifying the 65K baht/month pension meets/satisfies the income requirement.

And if you fall short of the 65K baht/month pension for a retirement extension, it can be a "combination" of the account deposit in the bank plus income from a pension or other source per year with a combined total of not less than 800,000 Baht.

Edited by Pib

Don't forget IF you get "Income from pension/social welfare of not less than 65,000 Baht per month" you don't need to show a big sum (a seasoned 800K or 400K baht) in the bank. A pension letter from your home country embassy verifying the 65K baht/month pension meets/satisfies the income requirement.

Same as 40K Baht/month,verified from your Embassy,meets/satisfies the income requirement for a marriage extension! :)

Don't forget IF you get "Income from pension/social welfare of not less than 65,000 Baht per month" you don't need to show a big sum (a seasoned 800K or 400K baht) in the bank for a retirement extension of stay. A pension letter from your home country embassy verifying the 65K baht/month pension meets/satisfies the income requirement.

And if you fall short of the 65K baht/month pension for a retirement extension, it can be a "combination" of the account deposit in the bank plus income from a pension or other source per year with a combined total of not less than 800,000 Baht.

Financial requitements for extension of stay based on retirement are:

800k in the bank for 2 months prior to application OR 65k pension/income a month OR a combination of the two

Financial requirements for extension of stay based on marriage are:

400k in the bank for 2 months prior to application OR 40k income a month

400,000 less in the bank is a big plus to me.

I think you've answered your own question here.

as long as you remember that when/if the marriage ends thro death or divorce of your spouse, you will need the funds to finance the retirement extension once again, dont rely solely on the 400,000 as you will then 800,000 once again.

Although there is a chance of this ending from death, it is slight as she is 20 years my junior.

Edited by Gonsalviz

Thanks all,

Any threads listing paperwork requirements for the marriage extension? I think I have all for the retirement side.

----------------------------

I am sorry if I am repeating something here, but I like to tell you that there is a massive difference in paperwork between marriage-

extension and the much much much more easier retirement-extension.

So go for retirement if you can...... just 65.000 baht in income confirmed by your embassy, photos, fill in you application and that should be everything. While a marriage-extension is something like 13-14 different stages to go through....

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

"I am sorry if I am repeating something here, but I like to tell you that there is a massive difference in paperwork between marriage-

So go for retirement if you can...... just 65.000 baht in income confirmed by your embassy, photos, fill in you application and that should be everything. While a marriage-extension is something like 13-14 different stages to go through...."

I disagree with most of that.

Even assuming the money isn't a problem, which it is for some, the word 'massive' and 'much much much' is misleading.

For the spouse extension the only extra stuff you need is the marriage certificate and then the spouses info, copy of pp, ID card and house registration. In some cases they'll also ask for some photos.

I'm not sure what you mean by "13-14 different stages".

1. You get a 30 day 'under consideration' stamp requiring a second visit to imm. That's only a problem if you live a long ways from your imm office.

2. For a spouse extension you have to take your spouse with you on the first visit.

3. A police officer might visit your home. In most cases they don't.

I'm sure I'm missing some of the different stages.

A spouse extension also allows you to get a work permit so you can work legally. That's important for many, either to supplement their income or to simply give them something to do.

"I am sorry if I am repeating something here, but I like to tell you that there is a massive difference in paperwork between marriage-

So go for retirement if you can...... just 65.000 baht in income confirmed by your embassy, photos, fill in you application and that should be everything. While a marriage-extension is something like 13-14 different stages to go through...."

I disagree with most of that.

Even assuming the money isn't a problem, which it is for some, the word 'massive' and 'much much much' is misleading.

For the spouse extension the only extra stuff you need is the marriage certificate and then the spouses info, copy of pp, ID card and house registration. In some cases they'll also ask for some photos.

I'm not sure what you mean by "13-14 different stages".

1. You get a 30 day 'under consideration' stamp requiring a second visit to imm. That's only a problem if you live a long ways from your imm office.

2. For a spouse extension you have to take your spouse with you on the first visit.

3. A police officer might visit your home. In most cases they don't.

I'm sure I'm missing some of the different stages.

A spouse extension also allows you to get a work permit so you can work legally. That's important for many, either to supplement their income or to simply give them something to do.

But some farang still believe the friendly advice of the lazy Immigration Officer! :)

I only said lazy! :D