Outstanding New Eaterie On Soi Xzyte

syd barrett

If you walk down Soi Xzyte (Soi Drarin) from either end, at just about half way, you cannot fail to notice the blackboard sign of 'Lek's place'; it is a small roadside diner offering all nature of Thai/quasi Chinese meals at low prices 35-40 baht on a plate with a smile.

Highly recommended! Check it out! :)

If you walk down Soi Xzyte (Soi Drarin) from either end, at just about half way, you cannot fail to notice the blackboard sign of 'Lek's place'; it is a small roadside diner offering all nature of Thai/quasi Chinese meals at low prices 35-40 baht on a plate with a smile.

Highly recommended! Check it out! :D

Hey big spender!!!

Why don't you wash it down with a nice bottle of beer chang from 7 11 while you are there. :)

Thanks Syd, good Information.

Skate; if you like to spend 10 times( or 100 times) the amount of money for your food, thats fine, but keep the fxxk out of this thread. We dont need to hear your opinion. What are you doing in Thailand anyway, you should stay in Monaco, Geneva or other nice Locations, there you dont have to read stuff like this. Should you be unlucky and run out of money later on, Denner is the Super Market in Switzerland where you get Beer a lot cheaper then in any 7/11.

Next

Skate; if you like to spend 10 times( or 100 times) the amount of money for your food, thats fine, but keep the fxxk out of this thread. We dont need to hear your opinion. What are you doing in Thailand anyway, you should stay in Monaco, Geneva or other nice Locations, there you dont have to read stuff like this. Should you be unlucky and run out of money later on, Denner is the Super Market in Switzerland where you get Beer a lot cheaper then in any 7/11.

Next

Well said!

Next

Well said!

So there is no way we could call him a cheapskate

Next

Sorry if I upset you Oliver Twist. I would love to chat but I'm off to Monaco for breakfast, followed by lunch in Geneva. All this on my private jet that lands at my luxury penthouse in Nirun condo.

Skate is a pedestrian, who has not yet learned (perhaps never will) where the best food and the best food value is in Thailand (and more particularly in Pattaya). If you want to follow Cochran et al dine and wine through the middle to upper end restaurants of Pattaya (and waste his money (my opinion, his money)) check out the "Recent Dining Experiences" thread in this same forum. Perhaps you will find his approach to food prices and money more to your liking (certainly, you won’t suggest he is “cheap”!) Most of us like a "mix" of cheap good Thai food for the convenience and to avoid the mess of cooking at home and the "better" restaurants with more ambience (not necessarily better food) and higher yet still reasonable prices. Syd's recommendation hits the spot for the first category, and fortunately there are many others like it in and around Pattaya. Food at the upper end in Pattaya is almost universally focused at the tourist market -- over priced (very) and not especially good. If you want a really excellent meal at a “reasonable” price (certainly not cheap), the place to go is Bangkok -- not too far and much better options. Pattaya is simply the wrong place to look for gourmet quality, both Thai or western, but western is by far the worst. And, with the tax and mark-up on wine, it is even a worse choice in a restaurant (but Bangkok isn't much better in that category). So, I will definitely try Lek's when I am in that area (and maybe wash it down with a Beer Chang from 7/11), and appreciate Syd’s recommendation and other recommendations of that kind. And Skate can dine at Bruno's and the Sugar Hut every evening and really "enjoy" his meal and the great value he is getting (he doesn't have to fly to Monaco to waste his money. He can do that right here).

Skate is a pedestrian, who has not yet learned (perhaps never will) where the best food and the best food value is in Thailand (and more particularly in Pattaya). If you want to follow Cochran et al dine and wine through the middle to upper end restaurants of Pattaya (and waste his money (my opinion, his money)) check out the "Recent Dining Experiences" thread in this same forum. Perhaps you will find his approach to food prices and money more to your liking (certainly, you won’t suggest he is “cheap”!) Most of us like a "mix" of cheap good Thai food for the convenience and to avoid the mess of cooking at home and the "better" restaurants with more ambience (not necessarily better food) and higher yet still reasonable prices. Syd's recommendation hits the spot for the first category, and fortunately there are many others like it in and around Pattaya. Food at the upper end in Pattaya is almost universally focused at the tourist market -- over priced (very) and not especially good. If you want a really excellent meal at a “reasonable” price (certainly not cheap), the place to go is Bangkok -- not too far and much better options. Pattaya is simply the wrong place to look for gourmet quality, both Thai or western, but western is by far the worst. And, with the tax and mark-up on wine, it is even a worse choice in a restaurant (but Bangkok isn't much better in that category). So, I will definitely try Lek's when I am in that area (and maybe wash it down with a Beer Chang from 7/11), and appreciate Syd’s recommendation and other recommendations of that kind. And Skate can dine at Bruno's and the Sugar Hut every evening and really "enjoy" his meal and the great value he is getting (he doesn't have to fly to Monaco to waste his money. He can do that right here).

Good post.

As you said, most of us want reasonably priced food and decent quality for those perfunctory daily meals which are necessary for survival rather than for gastronomic delight.

I think 'Skate44' is just making a joke and living in his own little world.

To be honest, the very best restaurants in Pattaya are usually kept secret and I know a few myself that have never been mentioned that I visit on special occassions; probably this coming Loy Kratong for example.

I do enjoy 'Cochran's' thread; it is one of the best Pattaya threads in recent months.

Thanks for sharing! :)

I agree - we need decent threads on both ends of the spectrum. Cochran's have been very good reviews and Syd's are good as well.

What is wrong with "fine" dining? Nice for a special occassion (or if someone else is paying :)) and we all like to know where the reasonably priced and good quality food is as well.

Nothing better than finding somewhere for a night out that has been recommended!!

Keep it up

There is nothing wrong with "fine dining", it's fine, it just doesn't exist in Pattaya in any significant numbers (at least not prices that makes it worth doing). Mum Aroi in Naklua is about as good as it gets, and that is pretty good. But it isn't in the same class as Vertigo in the Banyan Tree Hotel or Sirocco at the State Tower, or the patio at the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok (and the list goes on, and on). And all are better food, far better ambiance, and less expensive than the high priced restaurants in Pattaya -- go figure!. I am sure that there are restaurants that I have not been to in Pattaya that are the exception, and I'd love to know about them. But for now, if I want an exceptional meal, I wait until I am in Bangkok. I won't pay twice as much for a meal half as good just to have it in Pattaya. And if you talk about farang food, and especially pasta, its one quarter as good. (And I'm not a chick, so I am pretty much always paying, at least when in Pattaya).

And Syd, if you have some "special" places for special occasions, I'd love to hear about them. I will reciprocate with a few that maybe you haven't tried.

Cheers,

I wasn't, but you can pretend I was if it makes you feel better. Drinking on an empty head again, eh? If you have a recommendation for a restaurant with better food, ambiance and "value", I would certainly like to know about it. And the crowds that pack the place regularly seem to agree with me.

There is nothing wrong with "fine dining", it's fine, it just doesn't exist in Pattaya in any significant numbers (at least not prices that makes it worth doing). Mum Aroi in Naklua is about as good as it gets, and that is pretty good. But it isn't in the same class as Vertigo in the Banyan Tree Hotel or Sirocco at the State Tower, or the patio at the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok (and the list goes on, and on). And all are better food, far better ambiance, and less expensive than the high priced restaurants in Pattaya -- go figure!. I am sure that there are restaurants that I have not been to in Pattaya that are the exception, and I'd love to know about them. But for now, if I want an exceptional meal, I wait until I am in Bangkok. I won't pay twice as much for a meal half as good just to have it in Pattaya. And if you talk about farang food, and especially pasta, its one quarter as good. (And I'm not a chick, so I am pretty much always paying, at least when in Pattaya).

And Syd, if you have some "special" places for special occasions, I'd love to hear about them. I will reciprocate with a few that maybe you haven't tried.

Cheers,

have you never tried MATA HARI

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried Mata Hari and Mantra, which I rate as among the best that Pattaya has to offer. Both get a 7.5 for food quality and ambiance (out of 10), and a 7.0 and 5.5, respectively, for quality in relation to price (aka "value"). In comparison, there is a lovely French restaurant in Bangkok that serves an 7 course set menu meal for B1000 per head that is truly spectacular/amazing/wondeful, and gets (from me) a 9.5 and a 9.9 in the same 2 categories. And, honestly, I would give Mum Aroi a solid 8.0 for "value", which explains why I eat at Mum Aroi frequently (if I can find a paking space, since it is always packed on Saturday night), and seldom eat at Mata Hari or Mantra.

Highly recommended! Check it out! :D

Hey big spender!!!

Why don't you wash it down with a nice bottle of beer chang from 7 11 while you are there. :)

What da Fuzz about announcing a good and reasonable priced and good eatery?

There are places which do sell the lrg. Leo for 60 ThB.... why spend 4000.-?

If you got it - be HAPPY - but then don't expect a huge augmentation of happiness

because there is more on the bill as on the bank account it's normal those two facts

walk together - and well, yes, the eatery isn't justa terrazzo floor with plastic chairs and folding tables,

but inlaid marble floors decorated with rare carpets, Louis XVI chairs whilst you eat from china,

with Christofle silverware and drink expensive champagne from bohemian cut crystal glasses-!!

Remember nothing will make you happier than happy!

It's all one very own imagination that things are better - and if ego is involved, one's caught in the

web and has to comfort oneself with spending, it's the poorest way of getting happy, be happy is the way,

not to buy ones way to happiness, that might never work..... think!

Or remember:

The story goes that while Diogenes was relaxing in the sunlight one morning, Alexander, thrilled to meet the famous philosopher, asked if there was any favour he might do for him. Diogenes replied, "Yes: Stand out of my sunlight."

Alexander still declared, "If I were not Alexander, then I should wish to be Diogenes."

edited to add Diogenes' quote..

Edited by Samuian

I host a "Frugal Freddy" dining group through Pattaya City Expat Club and Pattaya Expat club. Out goal is a balance healthy meal for under B150. We meet every Monday night at a different restaurant and anyone is welcome to join us. Reservations not required but to get on the weekly e-mail list just PM me with your e-mail and I will add you to the invitations.

For those of you unfamiliar with the term Frugal Freddy he is 2 steps above balloon chasers and one above Cheap Charlie.

PS I ate at Lek's this week, very good cashew chicken and fried rice moo, 3 cokes came to B120 for both of us. Unfortunately it is too small for our group, we have between 12-24 members show up each week, Lek only sits 8 maximum.

I happened to be in the area of Lek's Place at 11:30 (I was picking up my first class ticket to Monaco via Paris, and the reservation expired at 12:00 today (high season for Monaco due to the races, you know)), so I decided to stop in for lunch. It was a bit difficult finding a parking place for my Mercedes 600SL (narrow street), but I found a spot not far away, just off the soi, near some motorbikes. There are only 4 tables and when I arrived 2 were full, so I took an open one. I ordered the Cashew chicken off the menu board, which was a very good choice, and only B 40. Plenty of chicken, sufficient cashews and fried green pepper and onions, served with rice. Really an ample quantity for lunch, and cooked just right -- the veggies were hot and cooked but still crunchy and crips, just as stir fry should be. Really excellent and for B40, a steal. I didn't have a Beer Chang (from 7/11) because I had things to get done in the afternoon before leaving on Sunday -- pity. When I left it was full up, so the word is getting out. Great find! If your in the area and you enjoy Thai food, try it. You won't be disappointed. I just hope I can find some food as good in Monaco -- here's hoping. Choke dee, krap.

And Bob4u, I was all set to join your dining club until I saw "balanced and healthy" -- not sure if I can eat that! Does it include bugs and stuff? Cheers,

I happened to be in the area of Lek's Place at 11:30 (I was picking up my first class ticket to Monaco via Paris, and the reservation expired at 12:00 today (high season for Monaco due to the races, you know)), so I decided to stop in for lunch. It was a bit difficult finding a parking place for my Mercedes 600SL (narrow street), but I found a spot not far away, just off the soi, near some motorbikes. There are only 4 tables and when I arrived 2 were full, so I took an open one. I ordered the Cashew chicken off the menu board, which was a very good choice, and only B 40. Plenty of chicken, sufficient cashews and fried green pepper and onions, served with rice. Really an ample quantity for lunch, and cooked just right -- the veggies were hot and cooked but still crunchy and crips, just as stir fry should be. Really excellent and for B40, a steal. I didn't have a Beer Chang (from 7/11) because I had things to get done in the afternoon before leaving on Sunday -- pity. When I left it was full up, so the word is getting out. Great find! If your in the area and you enjoy Thai food, try it. You won't be disappointed. I just hope I can find some food as good in Monaco -- here's hoping. Choke dee, krap.

And Bob4u, I was all set to join your dining club until I saw "balanced and healthy" -- not sure if I can eat that! Does it include bugs and stuff? Cheers,

were the wheels still on the merc when you got back to it :)

Cheers,

Pattaya is in fact a good city for eating, if you are flexible and open to what the strengths are here.

I agree with you for higher end fine dining, this isn't Nirvana, and Bangkok is much better and I agree, save your money for Bangkok. There is more to the world of food than Thai food and high end European food. Eat GLOBAL.

However on some other things, Pattaya competes and sometimes surpasses:

Budget priced Bistro style European restaurants including set menu places -- French, Italian, German Pattaya is BETTER than Bangkok, Bangkok people come here to eat in that style

Korean -- Pattaya's best on par with Bangkok's best

Arabic -- Pattaya's best on par with Bangkok's best

Iranian -- Pattaya is MUCH better (last time I checked only one in Bangkok and I tried it, it sucked)

Thai seafood -- Pattaya on par at some places and the price is better here

Thai casual places -- Bangkok is better but there are some decent options here

Chinese -- Bangkok is MUCH better

Mexican -- Bangkok is MUCH better

Thai street food/local food courts -- Bangkok is much better, but Pattaya isn't horrible

Bottom line, there is enough to keep the more down to earth food lovers busy here in Pattaya, and its really not bad for its size. I think tourists get a bad impression but if you are a local there is so much to explore in the local areas, and the scene is always changing.

This coming from a long time resident in the best food city in the world, San Francisco. Does Pattaya compare with San Francisco? Not a chance, but you can only eat so many meals in your life and Pattaya can satisfy. People tend to get in a rut here and not try new places. That is important to do here to discover some of the gems.

Edited by Jingthing