Two Police Officers Caught Redhanded In Drug Sting

george

Two police officers caught redhanded in drug sting

BANGKOK: -- Two Bangkok policemen arrested recently in Mukdahan province have been suspended pending further investigations into their alleged crime.

The two officers, Pol Major Phayung Meephaithoon and Pol Sr SgtMajor Thanadol Srinisai, were arrested on September 19 along with two civilian suspects - Chatchawal Khwaengchuen and Ratchanee, a woman whose surname was not revealed.

Pol Colonel Jamras Chaiyasak, chief of Don Tan district police in Mukdahan, dismissed both officers' claim that they were buying amphetamine from the two civilians as part of a sting operation. Jamras instead said they had they failed to make arrests and hand the civilians over to local police as required under normal procedure.

All suspects have been charged with possessing illegal drugs with the intent to sell, while the officers also face charges of carrying firearms without permission and reasonable cause. Jamras said a Bangkok police division, that the two officers come under, has denied that the two had been given the job of conducting a sting operation in Mukdahan.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-25

Two Bangkok policemen arrested recently in Mukdahan province have been suspended pending further investigations into their alleged crime.

That clearly shows how serious the investigation by their fellow BiB is taken. Now imagine what happens next....

Sad but true.

In my wifes home town there was police officer who was caught dealing speed.

His 'punishment' was to be was posted to an unliked position near the Burmese border.

Suspension of the police officers until formally charged is standard in the west as well. The claims have to be investigated. For all we know these guys were indeed on special assignment and are innocent until shown otherwise. Weird stuff does happen in police work.

Do I believe they are innocent. No, and I hope they severely punished.

Suspension of the police officers until formally charged is standard in the west as well. The claims have to be investigated. For all we know these guys were indeed on special assignment and are innocent until shown otherwise. Weird stuff does happen in police work.

Do I believe they are innocent. No, and I hope they severely punished.

No they weren't, their own commanding officer has said this much already.

The only surprising thing about this story is that the BIB got busted at all. Probably because, as already suggested, they didn't include their superiors in the cut...

Mind you, the Thai police are not alone in indulging in a bit of skulduggery. I remember in my younger days in London, when everyone (it seemed) was smoking dope, dealers would get busted with, for instance, a kilo of hash, and when the charges were read out in court, it had mysteriously shrunk to 200 grams. Well, the accused were hardly going to complain to the judge that it was a kilo they'd had confiscated, were they?!? :)

:):D:D ,,,, only a few more thousand to go

egg

Looks like there's a few "Good Apples" amungst the "rotten" then!!

I must say that living up this end of the woods and having a few beers with some of the BIB in "civvies" it does seem that there's a North and South divide especially the Bangkok Boyz !!

This is a terrible trend , setting up stings to catch the BIB. My god if they kept this up pretty soon there would be no police officers left in Thailand..... :):D:D Who would man the checkpoints ?? Who would catch evil farangs throwing cigarette butts on Sukumvit ???

Edited by rhiekel

Government is trying to cleanup corruption is all quarters of the administration. Expect to hear more cases like this. Anyone with a government job that wants to keep it needs to show they are squeeky clean.

Why did King <deleted> come to mind?

My brother-in-law was killed by either the bib (nasty ones) or the other side. In his village, he had volunteered to be an informant to a very few coppers in the area. Apparently, he went with people he knew and trusted. He was found with a broken neck. Sad.

Government is trying to cleanup corruption is all quarters of the administration. Expect to hear more cases like this. Anyone with a government job that wants to keep it needs to show they are squeeky clean.

I agree. We can all laugh about 'crackdowns on crackdowns' etc but I get the feeling there is a serious attempt to clean the place up this time. I have been hearing a few whispers lately that there is a couple of very senior untouchable 'secret hands' giving directions. Sit back and think about how widespread corruption is in this country..both horizontal and vertical. Imagine what it would take to clean it up...a very long and difficult endeavour. After all, Rome wasnt burnt in one day! Have patience, times are changing. :)

Perhaps they will be transferred to Mukdahan as a punishment! A recent newspaper article pointed out that only 104 police officers are currently in jail compared to the thousands of complaints officially registered each year against police brutality, extortion etc. It is a pyramid system and private enterprise where you don't pay a percentage to your commanding officer is frowned upon. These two were also on some one else's patch which is why they got arrested. It must have been a lot cheaper to score the dope near the border and transport it themselves - skinflints.

:):D:D ,,,, only a few more thousand to go

egg

My thoughts exactly! King Canute does indeed spring to mind!

Question though - if by some miracle they were to stamp out Police corruption ( :D ) how would the Police pay for their uniforms/guns/vehicles? It's my understanding that they have to pay for all of this themselves. If this is the case, then surely a crackdown will do nothing but drive their criminal / corrupt activities further underground. Next thing you know we'll have a Police force as devious and underhand as some of those in the West.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but IMHO this crackdown should be accompanied by financial incentives to the Police to actually do their jobs - not necessarily pay increases, but at least supply them with the equipment they need to do their jobs.