Rain

gotlost

After last night's rain, the rivier is at it's highest yet, (2.2 Mtrs) and we still have rain here in Jed Yod this morning.

Except for one night of very heavy downbursts, we have not seen rain yet this year up here in Mae Taeng that compares with what preceded last year's flood. Looks like a few more days of normal rains and then a drying spell.

Our experiences differ greatly by location here in the N. of Thailand, as we know from this report of heavy rain for hours - while we have sprinkles, if anything. Mostly, I've experienced moderate rains in the evening, overnight, and in the mornings - which are convenient enough for my lifestyle. Because it is cooler and because like sunshine, it means life, I welcome it.

Even by looking at weather stats, I cannot see catastrophe written anywhere, nothing akin to last year. What am I missing?

Getting a bit tired of the rain..even if its completely pointless to complain about rain during rainy season.

Just wish there was pockets of sunshine at least !

Look on the bright side (pun intended)There's only 2 and a half more months of constant rain to go !
  • Like 1

Look on the bright side (pun intended)There's only 2 and a half more months of constant rain to go !

Huh? By this time next month, it will be slowing down and all but finished by the end of October. So only a 1-1.5 months tops, for constant rain. No way 2.5.

See attached graph for average monthly rainfall totals.

post-16307-0-66554300-1347260530_thumb.p

-Mestizo

• Like 1

Last year it rained until around November 15th, then one day it just stopped and the sun came out.

I definitely don't remember it that way. I remember a completely dry Halloween as well as a couple dry days of Loi Krathong (Nov 10th). I'm fairly confident that it didn't rain much on the days between as well. I'll see if I can dig up daily rainfall totals for 2011.

Irregardless, your estimate of 2.5 more months of *constant rain* would put us at towards the end of November (Nov 25th). I jus't cant see it. 1 to 1.5 more months seems like a more realistic estimate (solely based on the 5 or 6 rainy seasons I've seen so far).

-Mestizo

• Like 1

Last year it rained until around November 15th, then one day it just stopped and the sun came out.

According to this site ( http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Chiang_Mai/11-2011/483270.htm ) there was last year 2.03 mm of rain on November 3 and 4.58 mm on November 9. Apart from those two days, that month was completely dry.

/ Priceless

• Like 2

According to this site ( http://www.tutiempo....2011/483270.htm ) there was last year 2.03 mm of rain on November 3 and 4.58 mm on November 9. Apart from those two days, that month was completely dry.

/ Priceless

In my memory the heavy rain stopped half october, after that time only an incidental, local rainshower developed.

Maybe it was mid October, but the sun definately came out in November....in that case 2.5 1.5 - 2 more months of rain then, regardless it still sucks !(for some) :)

But it has to be noted that the closer you live to a mountain the more rain you will get, do any of you posting graphs live close to a mountain by chance?

I stayed on Huay Kaew road last year and it was wetter than other parts of the city from the rain that developed over the mountain range at Doi Suthep.

On the other side of the city there was much less rain. I remember this because i would have to go to the other side of town to paint my motorcycle.

I really hope it is Mid October, then i can go back sooner...the US is driving me nuts right now.

Maybe it was mid October, but the sun definately came out in November....in that case 2.5 1.5 - 2 more months of rain then, regardless it still sucks !(for some) smile.png

But it has to be noted that the closer you live to a mountain the more rain you will get, do any of you posting graphs live close to a mountain by chance?

I stayed on Huay Kaew road last year and it was wetter than other parts of the city from the rain that developed over the mountain range at Doi Suthep.

On the other side of the city there was much less rain. I remember this because i would have to go to the other side of town to paint my motorcycle.

I really hope it is Mid October, then i can go back sooner...the US is driving me nuts right now.

You don't give up, do you?

The weather data reported from Chiang Mai is normally, and definitely on the site that I pointed to, measured at the Thai Meteorological Office at Chiang Mai Airport (VTCC).

Last year, i.e. 2011, there were five days with rain between 20 October and the end of the year (two in October, two in November and one in December) with a total of 8.64 millimeters of rain. If last year is anything to go by, your "2½ months" would me more like 5 weeks!

/ Priceless

Maybe it was mid October, but the sun definately came out in November....in that case 2.5 1.5 - 2 more months of rain then, regardless it still sucks !(for some) smile.png

You don't give up, do you?

The weather data reported from Chiang Mai is normally, and definitely on the site that I pointed to, measured at the Thai Meteorological Office at Chiang Mai Airport (VTCC).

Last year, i.e. 2011, there were five days with rain between 20 October and the end of the year (two in October, two in November and one in December) with a total of 8.64 millimeters of rain. If last year is anything to go by, your "2½ months" would me more like 5 weeks!

/ Priceless

The rain was measured in one spot - the airport, where one of the greatest concentrations of concrete exist.

Moisture doesnt form over concrete, you need to spend more time in the mountains or close to them, rain clouds can develop within hours, then dissipate as fast as they formed.

Edited by KRS1

Ahhh. Tussling with Priceless and his data won't get you too far KRS1, as facts pretty much always win out over anecdotal memories. But I will give you that it's definitely alot rainier in general rt up against Doi Suthep, and that Chiang Mai has many microenvironments. From Hang Dong this morning I was dry, but up by the mtn about 11am, it was pouring. The airport side was dry. Huay Kaew by the zoo was wet.

Microenvironments, that's all there is to it. To have really good data a city like CM would have to sample precipitation at maybe 10-20 locations to get an accurate picture... give it 20 years and double the population. Someday it'll come.

The river is a good indicator in a sense as it's a catch-all and we can see how much and how fast, though some of it isn't direct run off, but filtering thru the ground first.

Speaking of such, I dug out the link that gave me concern and then relief last year as things cleared up and I could finally leave my house after being locked in for a few days by water.

You've got to go to the third bar down (brick red) that ends in ChuwaMong (ชั่วโมง) - the hourly river level report. We're looking pretty good, I must say.

http://www.hydro-1.net/

• Like 1

hi guys! any reliable weather forecast to recommend? i am planning a 2 day trip this coming week. i looked at this coming sunday it appears to be sunny from weathercity.com but from other website it seems to state as raining

Tuesday onward for a few days looks pretty good, but in September you are likely to hit rain anytime in the mountains. I love trips in the rainy season as most places are quite uncrowded.

Measured from January through August 2012 we are still a bit below normal in rainfall.

It does feel like we're catching up a bit in this month, but then you'd expect that for September.

It all looks fairly average this year.

post-64232-0-53317300-1347330546_thumb.p

Compared to last year, we were 50% above average for January through August. This year we are 12% below average for the same period.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai