Rain

gotlost

Apropos of nothing much, I've always believed that the Mae-Jo/Chiang-Mai/Hang-Dong side of the plain is wetter, than Mae-Jo/Doi-Saket/Sankamphaeng, would other local TV-members concur ?

I live south of SK, definitely seems like a rain shadow most times sad.png I keep an eye on the radar site daily.

Rain coming down nicely in Nimenhemin.

does this thread have to get a mention every time it rains.

do we have one about the sun......when people can say "sun just peeking throught the clouds in Hang Dong"

cant you think of something else to say....try a new thread....

I forgot, what was the name of this topic? Oh yeah, Rain.

Just think, only a few months to go and I will be starting a new 2013 Smog, Smoke and Dust topic. Maybe that will make you happy. wink.png

Well, I am not enjoying any rain. I am extending the back of the house and my roof is open to the elements. 3 times now I have had water run off the roof and straight onto my ceilings and everywhere. Already half my kitchen ceiling has collapsed from water....Not fun. It's not supposed to be raining at this time of year is it? I hope it stops.

I forgot, what was the name of this topic? Oh yeah, Rain.

Just think, only a few months to go and I will be starting a new 2013 Smog, Smoke and Dust topic. Maybe that will make you happy. wink.png

Rice harvest finished, burning begun. but we've had a small shower smile.png

Some rain everyday would be nice, no need to water the lawn. Have not yet seen heavy rainfalls for a prolonged period in CM yet. It's kind of weird in CM You see wind blowing strongly and some dark sky, if in Bangkok, it's followed by heaavy downpour but here you see some showers and stop. I guess I have to live here for a whole year to be able to see the difference.

Edited by muchogra

It's not supposed to be raining at this time of year is it? I hope it stops.

20 years living here and not seen it rain this late in the season. Stats show from mid Nov through Dec from 1993 to 2011 there was zero precipitation.

• Like 2

20 years living here and not seen it rain this late in the season. Stats show from mid Nov through Dec from 1993 to 2011 there was zero precipitation.

The more you guys talk aout the abnormalities, the more my wife fears about the end of the world according to the Mayan calendar. She says we should buy more candles since there will be a period the whole world will be without light. She has even asked me if I'm concerned about this. My answer?...Why bother doing something you can't help if it does come true.

..sure it is unusual...most of the CM entertainment 'thingies' are scheduled in winter months,so there is no rain to worry about...but tonight(1st of Dec) it rained and it has ruined my wife's school reunion...sad.png

More rain again this evening, but not enough to get soaked when I went for a walk. It was actually quite pleasant. At least it wasn't like the cold rains I get back home in Canada. For those I need a parka, a rain coat, a hat and an umbrella. Oh, and a pair of gloves. Tonight I just wore old shorts, a light jacket over my blouse and rubber sandals that wouldn't be ruined if they got wet.

Yes. I might not know it had rained if people didn't say.

Also, it's Chiang Mai. What else would we post about, other than food?

Oh so true, Winnie. biggrin.pnglaugh.pngclap2.gif

But what about line-ups at immigration?whistling.gif

Yes. I might not know it had rained if people didn't say.

Also, it's Chiang Mai. What else would we post about, other than food?

So which food is best, for eating in wet weather, Burgers-in-the-Mist or Pizza-and-Singing-in-the-Rain ? tongue.png

I do believe this month's anomalous weather can be described as "monkeys' wedding breakfast." However, since I believe there is no "world to end," the Mayan thing doesn't give me sticky-hickies, or willy-nillys. If there is a world to end, and it ends this month, I will face it, as Dylan Thomas suggests, with "rage, rage, against the dying of the light;" not, as T.S. Eliot suggests, with "a whimper."

Oxford English Dictionary (this entry is probably queued up for, but not yet incorporated, into the main opus):

"monkey's wedding, n.

Pronunciation: Brit. /ˈmʌŋkɪz ˌwɛdɪŋ/, U.S. /ˌməŋkiz ˈwɛdɪŋ/, S. Afr. /ˈmʌŋkiz ˈwedɪŋ/

Etymology: < the genitive of monkey n. + wedding n., perhaps ultimately after Portuguese casamento de rapôsa, lit. ‘vixen's wedding’, used in the same sense.

The Portuguese phrase may have been adapted to *casamento de macaco‘monkey's wedding’ in Portugal's southern African colonies. However, the phrase may have entered South African English via Zulu umshado we zinkawu, lit. ‘wedding for monkeys’. Evidence for such an expression in Afrikaans or Dutch is lacking (despite quot. 1963). See further Dict. S. Afr. Eng. on Historical Princ. (1996) at cited word.

See Dict. Amer. Regional Eng. s.v. for earlier unrelated use of monkey's wedding(and also monkey's wedding breakfast) in the sense ‘state of disorder or disarray’.

S. Afr. colloq. Alternating or simultaneous sunshine and rain; an occurrence of this.

1949 Cape Times 29 Nov. 16/3 The Peninsula had a ‘monkey's wedding’ rainfall yesterday with the sun shining at intervals and rain falling intermittently.

1961 Cape Times 8 Aug. 7 The weather was not exactly ‘monkey's wedding’ weather last week, sunshine alternating with a drizzle.

1963 S. Cloete Rags of Glory 336 A monkey's wedding day of love—that was how the Dutch described a day of alternate bright sunshine

and showers.

1989 J. Hobbs Thoughts in Makeshift Mortuary 362 ‘Dumela,’ Sarah says, trying to smile at her though it is like a monkey's wedding, sunshine through rain."

In the state of Florida, in the U.S., where I grew up, the idiom, "the devil is beating his wife behind the kitchen door," referred to when it was raining where you were, but other parts of the sky were clear and sunny.

~o:37;

Edited by orang37

I do believe this month's anomalous weather can be described as "monkeys' wedding breakfast."

In the state of Florida, in the U.S., where I grew up, the idiom, "the devil is beating his wife behind the kitchen door," referred to when it was raining where you were, but other parts of the sky were clear and sunny.

~o:37;

Well those are more interesting and colorful descriptions than the "scattered thundershowers" we are having in Pai now.

We are on hour 5 of steady rains today. The local "old-timer" says it has been nine years since the last December rain, and that was just a shower. Translating what the locals are saying to English it comes out as "the earth is broken."

I was up near Mae Rim earlier with a big storm. Drove south, there hadn't been a drop south of the city. Spitting occasionally, but a remarkable difference, and seemingly a pattern of rain north of the city but little to the south.

I was up near Mae Rim earlier with a big storm. Drove south, there hadn't been a drop south of the city. Spitting occasionally, but a remarkable difference, and seemingly a pattern of rain north of the city but little to the south.

Rain around Chiang Mai is certainly interesting! We have been in the Boat Restaurant in CM having breakfast and witnessed a line in the road where on one side there is a 30 minute downpour and on the other side, dry pavement. Works on a bigger scale too, but December rain is still considered an anomaly. And this thread is now 65 pages long!

This unseasonably warm weather is especially bad news for the Thai blanket industry, and charity organizations everywhere who now can't find anyone to take their yearly supply of new blankets.

That sounds typical of the short sighted thinking here. The cool weather will eventually come and then all those who need blankets will be struggling.