Rain

gotlost

Wow what a stunning scenery! Thanks for the update on water level not much rising in town either around 2.55 m this morning (flood level at 3.7m) Really nice and peaceful that area by the way. Can you get Mc Donald or Rimping near Mae Taeng in case I migth want to move there? (Only joking)

Still no flooding and locals are not concerned, but this water is headed south.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Wow what a stunning scenery! Thanks for the update on water level not much rising in town either around 2.55 m this morning (flood level at 3.7m) Really nice and peaceful that area by the way. Can you get Mc Donald or Rimping near Mae Taeng in case I migth want to move there? (Only joking)

Still no flooding and locals are not concerned, but this water is headed south.

I would watch the river about 24 hours from now and I bet it will rise a bit before falling again. The sun is back out up here!

Regarding McDonalds, no chance there, but one of the best burgers you can get in Thailand is about 5 km upstream from that gaging station at a resort where you can sit and watch elephants play in the river below your table. Quite over the top in food and ambiance. For RimPing-like stuff, we head over to Makro in Mae Rim, and we do have a C-P steak shop in town as well. For scenery, I can't imagine a more beautiful place near Chiang Mai than Mae Taeng. You ought to check it out! It looks just as good in the rain as it does in the sun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its a drizzly day here today T_Dog. Hope your situation gets better.

Anyone notice it hasnt really rained in CM city in the last 2 weeks. This flooding on the news seem so foreign to us.

As Murphy would have it, it was rain rain rain all the way a few weeks back, for weeks on end, and i was lamenting the loss of sunshine. Then i got sick with flu...and it was sun sun sun.. and i couldnt wait to get better and grab some of it. Now that im up and about again...its rainy, drizzly and grey again..!!

Its a drizzly day here today T_Dog. Hope your situation gets better.

Anyone notice it hasnt really rained in CM city in the last 2 weeks. This flooding on the news seem so foreign to us.

As Murphy would have it, it was rain rain rain all the way a few weeks back, for weeks on end, and i was lamenting the loss of sunshine. Then i got sick with flu...and it was sun sun sun.. and i couldnt wait to get better and grab some of it. Now that im up and about again...its rainy, drizzly and grey again..!!

Hang in there eek. In just a few weeks it will be time for "The

Last October Rain" provided this is a normal year.

• Like 1

Amazing difference in 30 km. We have had rain every other day. Currently it is downpouring hard with standing water everywhere up here in Mae Taeng. Rainy season is not over up here yet.

If it doesn't rain tonight out past San Kamphaeng, I'll have to turn the sprinklers on the lawn tomorrow sad.png

Going home from CMU on the canal road this afternoon it was seriously down pouring, enough that drivers actually had to slow down or risk hydroplaning. wink.png When I arrived home it was dry. Seems to be a lot of 'spot' rain around here.

Sometimes, if I understand this correctly, the intense heat radiating from large concrete surfaces (like airport runways) can --- after prolonged hot sunny weather and under the right atmospheric conditions --- generate severe local rain, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

There are other conditions which make local rainfall patterns irregular. All of us have probably experienced and wondered why very local showers occur in Chiang Mai. This seems to be a very different (and not so dramatic) meteorologic event than noted above. Anyone willing to do the research?! smile.png

Edited by Mapguy

As large masses of drier cooler air from the North move South at this time of year the warm humid air near the surface becomes very buoyant without the need for the localized intense solar heating you describe. This is also how thunderstorms can occur at night.

glorious rain after this morning’a arrival of the cool season, and a crack of thunder as i speak. enjoy it while it lasts people, not much more of this for the next 6 months.

sorry about the lack of capitals, new electronic device.

Saw the storm, here in Mae-Jo, and rushed round the house to close the windows/doors as the wind suddenly hit, yet only got a few drops of positive precipitation.

I guess I might have to wash the car, before i see any actual rain, on the garden ! desperate measures ! rolleyes.gif

Saw the storm, here in Mae-Jo, and rushed round the house to close the windows/doors as the wind suddenly hit, yet only got a few drops of positive precipitation.

I guess I might have to wash the car, before i see any actual rain, on the garden ! desperate measures ! rolleyes.gif

Strong wind and lots of water here around Nimanhaemin area not a few drops!

• 3 weeks later...
Heard it rained in CM at noon and now at 3 PM we are getting a deluge at 3 PM. Odd to see a storm approach from the North, but a sure sign the season is changing. Standing water everywhere.

What? Rain from the north means its changing to dry season? Or proof of global warming? Sheesh. Or it means absolutely jack squat!

Heard it rained in CM at noon and now at 3 PM we are getting a deluge at 3 PM. Odd to see a storm approach from the North, but a sure sign the season is changing. Standing water everywhere.

What? Rain from the north means its changing to dry season? Or proof of global warming? Sheesh. Or it means absolutely jack squat!

It probably means that a storm developed by chance North of his particular location. As a big storm builds and decays it can often appear to approach from any direction away from the center. At the moment there is a big storm over the mountains between Pai and Mae Rim. The big-picture gradient winds are usually light and variable between the monsoons.

Well heck guys, just chill. This is the first storm we have this year from the north and we have had plenty. It also follows the change in wind direction from south to north. Not sure what it means but it is definitely different.Cloudhopper is right in that a storm can come from any direction, but this appeared to be associated with a cold front as it was preceeded by a roller cloud.

Well heck guys, just chill. This is the first storm we have this year from the north and we have had plenty. It also follows the change in wind direction from south to north. Not sure what it means but it is definitely different.Cloudhopper is right in that a storm can come from any direction, but this appeared to be associated with a cold front as it was preceeded by a roller cloud.

If you look at Wunderground you will see that the winds are also coming from every direction this time of year. Roll/wall clouds are typically a feature of the downburst edge not a frontal passage, especially moving through a confined valley. The warm surface winds will flow into the storm as it builds then as the cloud decays suddenly reverses and strengthens, as cold air flows down and then out in all directions. Unlike frontal winds they are very short-lived. I have seen wall clouds a mile high and 5 miles wide in the US Sonoran desert in the middle of summer. AFAIK we don't really get frontal passages in this part of the world...do we?

If you look at Wunderground you will see that the winds are also coming from every direction this time of year. Roll/wall clouds are typically a feature of the downburst edge not a frontal passage, especially moving through a confined valley. The warm surface winds will flow into the storm as it builds then as the cloud decays suddenly reverses and strengthens, as cold air flows down and then out in all directions. Unlike frontal winds they are very short-lived. I have seen wall clouds a mile high and 5 miles wide in the US Sonoran desert in the middle of summer. AFAIK we don't really get frontal passages in this part of the world...do we?

I think there are frontal passages but not as common as say the midwest in the USA. What I saw today though reminded me of cold fronts coming off Lake Superior. The winds flattened about ten rai of rice and the farmers were pretty upset after things settled down. The winds (outflow?) were from the north the whole time and never did reverse. Just blew like crazy for an hour with sideways rain. Not as clear now as one would expect after a cold front so just your usual weird tropical thunderstorm I guess.