Rain

gotlost

It rained last night, might rain today, strong chance of rain tomorrow. It is rain season.

We had over two inches of rain overnight and currently in the middle of another downpour. You might be right there D-N! Humor aside, we have certainly been in the middle of the rain belt up here this year. Been a good test of our drainage system.

It rained last night, might rain today, strong chance of rain tomorrow. It is rain season.

We had over two inches of rain overnight and currently in the middle of another downpour. You might be right there D-N! Humor aside, we have certainly been in the middle of the rain belt up here this year. Been a good test of our drainage system.

The local frog symphony orchestra are loving it.

Yes glad we got Alti Gutters to do their stuff here, and get proper drains put in.

Last night's rain was serious. I also had one thunder crack that must've been within about 100m or less of the house. Went off simultaneously with the lightning and sounded like a bomb, and made RTD jump - it takes alot to do that.

I noticed it blew in from Lamphun again, as that seems to be the local place that's getting hit hardest this year. Another one with big red on the tmd site right now about to hit us again.

At least it feel like the real rainy season again.

• Like 1

End of August ytd - 748mm, as opposed to the average ytd - 760mm.

In the first 4 days of September, we had over 30% of the average September rainfall.;

No longer calling it a dry year. The last couple of weeks have been fantastic. Bit warm today mind.

I noticed it blew in from Lamphun again, as that seems to be the local place that's getting hit hardest this year. Another one with big red on the tmd site right now about to hit us again.

Stats suggest Lamphun has had significantly less rain than Chiang Mai this year.

Is it still rainy season? Somehow (for me) it feels more like hot season at the moment.

It is officially still the rainy season but the lack of regular rain in some areas, eg Hang Dong, has made it feel a lot hotter.My trusty thermometer has told me, over the last 2 days, its being hovering between 32 to 34 degrees. While last winter was relatively mild, and no discomfort swimming every day, this coming season is anyones guess.As Bob Dylan once sang "the times they are a changing".

Good rain last night...... Storm woke me up but with the rain and thunder had no trouble getting back to sleep.

By chance any one got any recent pix of the reservoirs / dams showing the current level of water ???

Might be interesting to see those.....

Just as a footnote, I see that they seem to be keepinbg the river about 15 cm higher than usual.....somebody must have scraped the bottom of one of their tubs.

Good rain last night...... Storm woke me up but with the rain and thunder had no trouble getting back to sleep.

By chance any one got any recent pix of the reservoirs / dams showing the current level of water ???

Just as a footnote, I see that they seem to be keepinbg the river about 15 cm higher than usual.....somebody must have scraped the bottom of one of their tubs.

Paging Dave!

I guess they have a lot more ability now to regulate the water level in the river, with the new Pa Dead gates. I also noticed this keeps more water in the river around town.

But when needed, a lot more can be made to flow through compared to the old days with that semi-dam / shallow roughly in the same place.

It may also be related to on-going construction work further down Pa Daed, where a big widening effort is on-going with big walls on the river banks. There are trucks and excavators there so they need the water levels to not rise too much.

A little rain in Mae Rim last night but a lot of lightning and thunder. Just after midnight lightning struck somewhere very very close to our house. I was asleep at the time but bloody hell.....if I had been wearing pants I'm sure I would have filled them! Havent looked yet but I think there is a dent in the ceiling from where my head hit. Its was a damn good thunder storm and I even got up for a cuppa coffee and watched the lightning display from the front porch. Amazing nature.... more power than the USA or China. Great to be here in Chiang Mai.

We have a lot of rumbling going on, a few power cuts, and lightning in all quadrants. Must be the warm up band for Kalmaegi.

edit.... 30 minutes of thunder with no gaps. Lightning strokes every half second. Intense!

Edited by T_Dog

• 1 month later...

To me it seems that we have had much less rain this year...... in fact the least I can remember in more than 20 years. Has anyone seen the water level in the reservoirs recently..... Can you give us an idea? In fact, this is the only year I can remember that the river did not come out of its banks even one time.

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

There was a report recently that dams near Pichit and Pitsanulok, among a couple of others, were down around 40% capacity when normally they would be 80% full.

This spells a bit of a disaster for rice farmers who won't be able to sow a second crop then again the current Gov maybe saved a problem of trying to sell over stocked rice and might consider subsidising farmers.

No doubt there will be more updates as we head further into the dry season. An old Thai friend of mine said recently he could never remember a "wet season" where some areas suffered flooding and other areas well down on rainfall figures.

No governmnt anywhere has been really successful solving agricultural commodity problems except by doling out subsidies of one kind or other to farmers. The problem is, apparently, seriously exascerbated by low water levels in the national system. The current junta has just inherited a very serious problem due to physical reality, not previous populous politics.