Pm Ready To Dissolve House

webfact

PM ready to dissolve House if economy and politics stabilise, elections set up fairly

BANGKOK, Oct 4 (TNA) – Reiterating that Thailand’s House of Representatives, the lower house of Parliament, can be dissolved and that fresh elections can be held, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Sunday that dissolution depends on the long-pending charter amendment in conjunction with three conditions: the national economy must stabilise considerably, the election rules must be acceptable and the political atmosphere must be peaceful.

Speaking in his weekly television and radio address, Mr Abhisit’s remarks came as senior executives of political parties in his nine-month-old coalition government were scheduled to meet Sunday evening and discuss amending the 2007 Constitution, written by charter experts appointed by the military-installed government following a coup in September 2006.

Mr. Abhisit said charter revision process must be handled by the three whips of his government coalition, the Opposition and the Senate, plus the action of the Parliament as a while.

The entire process is not expected to take overly long, the prime minister said.

Dismissing reports that disputes have already taken place among the three whips regarding how to rewrite the charter, Mr. Abhisit said they shared the same opinion.

When queried regarding the fears that many people are said to have about possible loss of some strengths contained in the present constitution in the amendment process, the prime minister said a referendum would be organised to let the people make the final decision.

The date for the referendum has not been specified.

Mr. Abhisit has said that he expected that the charter rewriting process with six points of change, including the dissolution of a political party if its executives were found to have engaged in election fraud, would be completed within nine months.

“The government isn’t buying time. No one would gain if the (constitutional) amendment is done hurriedly and causes conflicts,” Mr. Abhisit added. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/10/04

I saw him on the telly. Basically min. timeline for calling elections 9-10 months. But no elections if ... instability, interference etc etc etc

And he always looks so nervous, even Gordon Brown doesn't look that nervous.

Judging from your previous posts on politics, cnsally, I think your opinion on Abhisit may be just a tad biased :) Of course I have a bias as well. Few people who are aware of the relatively strong polarisation in Thailand these days can look at any PM without bias in one direction or another.

The PM isn't saying anything previous PMs didn't say, when faced with calls for dissolution of the National Assembly. Have a look at a history of calls for NA dissolution in Thailand and you will see how many times this same situation has come to pass, including during each TRT/PPP administration.

To me Abhisit looked calm and confident, unlike any of his three predecessors.

I support the PM in his assertion that Thailand is not politically stable enough at the current time to have a peaceful, mostly fair, election. It won't be all that long now until the time comes, for now, don't get your knickers in a twist, Thailand could do much worse than PM Abhisit.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, this is a scenario to a general election some others at TV have discussed just recently.

Abhisit last week announced he favors a referendum on the constitutional amendments, a process he himself had said would take approximately nine months.

Now the PM says there can be an election after the referendum on the consitutional amendments. But only if the economy stabilizes and the civil conditions of the society settle down and if the electoral process is fair (presumably reasonably fair).

All of this sounds reasonable but it could also sound as if Thailand might not see another election for some period of time well beyond the next nine or so months. It seems it could be six of one and a half dozen of the other--same same but different.

Maybe this will cause Thaksin to behave himself or it might cause the people wanting a pardon of him to back off and give Thailand some peace and stability for a while. Conversely, Thaksin's money and meglomania could make an election sometime next spring or summer simply another of his voter buyouts, causing more disorder in trying to recognize a legitimate new parliament and thereby plunging Thailand deeper into it. Thaksin the past two weeks has shown nothing encouraging as he's been busily tossing darts towards Thailand and Abhisit.

So in the meantime, let's see how the street people behave in their three events during their Red October.

I saw him on the telly. Basically min. timeline for calling elections 9-10 months. But no elections if ... instability, interference etc etc etc

And he always looks so nervous, even Gordon Brown doesn't look that nervous.

remember Abhisit last year? as leader of the opposition, during the days when the PAD party at the Bangkok Airports was in full swing and his foreign minister had a very good time, music and food too? they all where waiting of the return of the then PM Somchai. a very peaceful political atmosphere. remember that?

Abhisit was talking about a house dissolution at this time too.

The Nation Breaking News of December 3, 2008:

Abhisit calls for House dissolution

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva on Wednesday urged for House dissolution on the ground that a snap election will allow a fresh start to form a viable government to tackle the political and economic woes.

Abhisit said he wanted the transition to the next government to take place under prescribed rules sanctioned by the Constitution.

Any ideas to bring about changes by non-constitutional means are not appropriate, he said in reference to the push to form a national unity government.

unfortunately, the political climate changed dramatically during the last 9 month. the national economy isn't stable anymore and the political atmosphere lost it's peaceful air and no more free concerts , party and food at the government buildings and airports. soldier and tanks instead in the city. people now stage political protests in the street and have demands. . unlike the good old PAD movement, PAD never wanted to be a political party or run for election right?

so today, right at the moment the basic conditions for a quick house dissolution and fresh election doesn't exist anymore.

Now that's nice. If all the kids are nice, they get ice cream....or an election. Up to him!

There seems a circular firing squad might be in its early stages of organizing itself but one that is particularly Thai. Who will head the government after the nine month crossroads being constructed before our eyes? Would it be Abhisit or one of the Thaksin proxies or another nutter such as Newin, or possibly Chalerm?

Either way, when the smoke clears it could fundamentally come down to a choice of Thaksin in Dubai or Abhisit in Thailand. I know my choice already, hands down.

Time to dissolve House. However I am positive he will not do so unless they have enough dosh for the usual bribes. :)

I can see Thaksin making waves to hold things up, Then claiming the pm has broken a promise.

PM ready to dissolve House if economy and politics stabilise, elections set up fairly

BANGKOK, Oct 4 (TNA) – Reiterating that Thailand's House of Representatives, the lower house of Parliament, can be dissolved and that fresh elections can be held, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Sunday that dissolution depends on the long-pending charter amendment in conjunction with three conditions: the national economy must stabilise considerably, the election rules must be acceptable and the political atmosphere must be peaceful.

Speaking in his weekly television and radio address, Mr Abhisit's remarks came as senior executives of political parties in his nine-month-old coalition government were scheduled to meet Sunday evening and discuss amending the 2007 Constitution, written by charter experts appointed by the military-installed government following a coup in September 2006.

Mr. Abhisit said charter revision process must be handled by the three whips of his government coalition, the Opposition and the Senate, plus the action of the Parliament as a while.

The entire process is not expected to take overly long, the prime minister said.

Dismissing reports that disputes have already taken place among the three whips regarding how to rewrite the charter, Mr. Abhisit said they shared the same opinion.

When queried regarding the fears that many people are said to have about possible loss of some strengths contained in the present constitution in the amendment process, the prime minister said a referendum would be organised to let the people make the final decision.

The date for the referendum has not been specified.

Mr. Abhisit has said that he expected that the charter rewriting process with six points of change, including the dissolution of a political party if its executives were found to have engaged in election fraud, would be completed within nine months.

"The government isn't buying time. No one would gain if the (constitutional) amendment is done hurriedly and causes conflicts," Mr. Abhisit added. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009/10/04

To me what he is saying is that he is not going to have an election until he is sure he will win it.

Judging from your previous posts on politics, cnsally, I think your opinion on Abhisit may be just a tad biased :) Of course I have a bias as well. Few people who are aware of the relatively strong polarisation in Thailand these days can look at any PM without bias in one direction or another.

The PM isn't saying anything previous PMs didn't say, when faced with calls for dissolution of the National Assembly. Have a look at a history of calls for NA dissolution in Thailand and you will see how many times this same situation has come to pass, including during each TRT/PPP administration.

To me Abhisit looked calm and confident, unlike any of his three predecessors.

I didn't see PM Abhisit's speech, but I would agree 1000% with your second paragraph above. The opposition political parties (i.e.,losing parties) normally start calling for government dissolution Day 1 after the election/new government is formed. And depending on how popular/how many votes the opposition parties got determines how much traction they get in their continuing calls for dissolution/throw out the evil political parties in power--standard politics in Thailand.

To me what he is saying is that he is not going to have an election until he is sure he will win it.

Or more practicality, until he is not sure he will lose it and/or he is FORCED to do so. Politically, can you really blame him?

Edited by Jingthing

Or more practicality, until he is not sure he will lose it and/or he is FORCED to do so. Politically, can you really blame him?

Abhisit is smart enuff to have put Thaksin and the Reds especially on the spot for an extended period into possibly mid next year. If either Thaksin or the Reds together or separately cause continued or even accelerated disorder or chaos, how could we expect any govenment to submit itself to an election under such circumstances?

Abhisit finally has become politically savvy. He's taken the political initiative and has placed the onus on the other guys, and there will be more of it. Meantime during the next nine or so months Abhsit can solidify his position against the mad doctor and his minions. A successful referendum on the constitutional amendments would be central to further strengthening Abhsit's hand.

Edited by Publicus

Would it be Abhisit or one of the Thaksin proxies or another nutter such as Newin, or possibly Chalerm?

Khunt (using your spelling) Kru, you seems to miss that without Newin and the Chidchob family you wouldn't have your beloved PM Abhisit in that position at all.

Not at all,

he was just the biggest piece of the pie looking for a way to bail on Thaksin.

If it hadn't been Newin, 1 or 2 other smaller blocks would have slid over the aisle.

He clearly was shopping his team before talks commenced...

Gee, why would he want to leave Thaksin,

if Thaksin was as good as that side keeps trumpeting endlessly?

Would it be Abhisit or one of the Thaksin proxies or another nutter such as Newin, or possibly Chalerm?

Khunt (using your spelling) Kru, you seems to miss that without Newin and the Chidchob family you wouldn't have your beloved PM Abhisit in that position at all.

TiT--it's always a pleasure to take a sap such as the dope Newin for a ride :D . Need a lift yourself? :)

Edited by Publicus

Obviously, he can't delay elections forever.

Forever in Thailand........... Has a nice ring to it. :) I feel a top 40 song coming on from PM Abhisit and his backup band, The Hyenas.

As for the 3 conditions;

1. The national economy must stabilise considerably,

Hmm, the false recovery is just taking shape, and the downslide should show up around Christmas, so I dunno.

2. The election rules must be acceptable

Huh? More specifics please, otherwise some might think that means his gang says who gets to vote as in 3 votes for Bangkok residents and literacy tests for the northerners in order to be eligible to vote. Wouldn't want that would we?

3. The political atmosphere must be peaceful.

That's like saying when the airport is tout free and when the government attacks corruption. Oh bah, might as well say never.

No matter how much Thailand changes, it stays the same.

As for the 3 conditions;

1. The national economy must stabilise considerably,

Hmm, the false recovery is just taking shape, and the downslide should show up around Christmas, so I dunno.

2. The election rules must be acceptable

Huh? More specifics please, otherwise some might think that means his gang says who gets to vote as in 3 votes for Bangkok residents and literacy tests for the northerners in order to be eligible to vote. Wouldn't want that would we?

3. The political atmosphere must be peaceful.

That's like saying when the airport is tout free and when the government attacks corruption. Oh bah, might as well say never.

1. Election means several months of uncertainty in implementing govt projects - those in the pipeline get suspended from the election date announcement and probably ditched when the new govt reconsiders them.

The economy must be fairly stable not to depend on those projects, especially if they are massibe infrastructure investments.

2. Before holding the elections, everyone must agree on the rules - 2007 version as it is, 2007 version amended, or 1997 version restored. There's no point in holding the elections if the losing party doesn't recognize the result because it doesn't accept the rules.

3. If reds go on rampage again, or block their opponents from campaigning, it would be a sham Zimbabwean style. Political parties must be allowed to campaign without fear or intimidation. So, in a way, it's in red's hands now - if they want elections, they should learn to behave. Unfortunately when they behave well, no one remembers what they wanted to say. Watch out for Oct 7 PAD rally, too. If yellow demos descend in violence, there won't be elections anytime soon. Yellows are not pressed for time, however. Their party is far from ready.