How To Acclimatise To Thailand?

HalfSquat

I want to know how a poster with the name JR Texas can say westerners can never acclimatize to the weather in Thailand. There are 4 months a year where most parts of Texas have an average temperature of over 90 F, which is about the same average temperature for Bangkok (though admittedly all year).

Living in the US Deep South for most of my life prepared me for living in SEA, I do the same thing here I did there, when indoors use the AC, and avoid exertion outside, except for golf.

TH

Not sure why you would want to know.......but I don't know any person from Texas that likes the summer months in Texas.......it is HOT. But it isn't humid like in Thailand and it is not year round. The fall and spring are wonderful..........even the winter isn't like most winters up north.

Acclimating does not mean staying inside all of the time in controlled conditions..........acclimating means, at least in my view, feeling good outside. When outside, I almost always feel uncomfortable in Thailand.........except early in the morning hours when it gets a bit cooler.

If you look at what most rural Thais do during the day........you can easily deduce they are uncomfortable too and they should be acclimated to it........they always talk about how hot it is and sit in the shade all day.

Hot and humid is hot and humid...........it is not comfortable.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born in Saskatchewan Canada in one of the coldest Januarys on record, 1947.

If I were not as heavy, maybe I'd have a chance to acclimate but no way, never. I also try to watch my money but when it comes to turning on the a/c I don't hesitate. Life's too short to be uncomfortably hot when you don't need to be.

I have somewhat adapted to the outdoor heat however, in that I just accept it and let the sweat roll off me, not even attempting to fight it. And to think I used to worry about a little perspiration stain under the arm? :) I'm lucky if my entire blasted shirt isn't soaking wet!

Edited by Lopburi99

Actually I think there are 2 seasons. Hot and Hot & Wet. But still, its nothing really. I mean have any of you ever lived in the middle east? I lived in Kuwait for a couple years, that place makes Thailand look like Siberia...or how about Dubai in August.. That sh*t is just on another level.

Agreed, spent a lot of time in Bahrain, some in Kuwait, etc. I notice the humidity somtimes, but I don't think the heat in Thailand is that bad. Also, agree with the other posters about diet and taking in plenty of fluids, and being in good physical condition makes a difference.

This is quite interesting (to me), it sounds like its a bit more specific than just turning the air-con down/up and not eating meat:

The most important biological adaptation from heat acclimatization is an earlier and greater sweating response, and for this response to improve it needs to be invoked.
Generally, about two weeks of daily heat exposure is needed to induce heat acclimatization. Heat acclimatization requires a minimum daily heat exposure of about two hours (can be broken into two 1-hour exposures) combined with physical exercise that requires cardiovascular endurance, (for example, marching or jogging) rather than strength training (pushups and resistance training).
The benefits of heat acclimatization will be retained for ~1 week

http://www.tidewateratc.com/HeatAcclimatizationGuide1.pdf

Sounds quite brutal!

Edited by HalfSquat

Could be a nice earner at the airport. An acclimatization tank like they do with aquarium fish.

:D

:)

I don't mean in plastic bags with a limited oxygen supply... like temperature wise... gradually getting warmer and more humid the further you walk, instead of hitting that wall of Bangkok air, ...perhaps topped off with a short obstacle course where you dodge vehicles and perhaps a pillion rider on a motorcycle tries to swipe your carry on bag.

:D

i think it took me about 12 months to adjust to the heat, although during the hotter months it can be over powering, nothing a cold daytime shower couldnt fix. As mentioned before, keeping hydrated helps. Now after 5 years here, i rarely have the aircon on at night, but the gf usually turns it on before i ever would.

I think i have a way to go yet as i dont think i could wear jeans during the day in summer or a jacket, like you see some of the thai do.

It's not the heat, it's the humidity for me.

Born in Phoenix, raised in Yuma, Arizona ( the "other" sandbox ) where the summer temps can cook an egg on the sidewalk and melt shoes...but there was no humidty.

I only have the a/c on at night to sleep in and during the day park myself under a fan. Cool showers aplenty...

During some days when it just gets too hot inside, I'll kick in the 'ol a/c in the bedroom and escape for an hour, another cool shower, turn off the a/c and back to the fans.

Swimming at a friends house some days seems to work as well.

Acclimatized to the heat, yep..humiditized..not yet.

Thanks for the replies. When you say you have acclimatised does that mean you don't sweat when walking about in the middle of the day?

I sleep with the air-con on at 26C other wise I wake up in the night covered in sweat! In the day I try to keep it to a minimum where I can.

We are all born with a set number of sweat glands and sweat patterns, genetically determined. There are racial differences. Sweating is a good healthy thing. I don't believe someone who was a heavy sweater before can become a no sweater. I think such a person can become more mai bpen rai about it and not really feel much pain and suffering from sweating. However, you can never stop the Thais who think that someone sweating is about to die. They are funny that way. As I said before, I sweat somewhat less. If I stopped sweating altogether in extreme heat and humidity, I would be very worried. (Hint- take lots of cold showers, like the locals.)

Edited by Jingthing

We are all born with a set number of sweat glands and sweat patterns, genetically determined. There are racial differences. Sweating is a good healthy thing. I don't believe someone who was a heavy sweater before can become a no sweater. I think such a person can become more mai bpen rai about it and not really feel much pain and suffering from sweating. However, you can never stop the Thais who think that someone sweating is about to die. They are funny that way. As I said before, I sweat somewhat less. If I stopped sweating altogether in extreme heat and humidity, I would be very worried. (Hint- take lots of cold showers, like the locals.)

Hey JT, my wife teaches aerobic dance and loves to see the sweat pouring off her body, claiming it is makes her healthier. Not sure I agree, to me it may mean she is working out too hard. I recently heard on television an American doctor saying there is no health benefit to sweating in itself (like flushing out toxins), but the benefits were derived totally from the exercizing activity itself. The doctor said the main purpose of sweating was to help control body temperature via the cooling effect on the skin by evaporation.

This seems to be supported here:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/b...Sweat_explained

I do worry seeing her dancing so strenuously in this heat, concerned she could be doing more harm than good.

Edited by Lopburi99

You know, for some of you guys that may have a big problem with sweating under the arms, you can get botox injected there. Apparently stops the sweat area there. However, i dont know if its particularly healthy or not, and im sure you will still sweat along your back or whatever. But, if underarm sweat is a big problem you could look into it.

Did you acclimatize to the heat and humidity in Thailand?

How long did it take you? Is it even possible?

People I have spoken to who have been out here a year or so say they haven't (they are from the UK).

Is there anything you can do to help it along?

What with all the air-con is it likely to happen?

Thanks.

Good thread. In my view no acclimatisation is not possible as such for someone from the UK. Of course there are exceptions, but generally our body seems set to operate at a certain temperature,and we'll always walk too fast. Glad you said humidity, that's the one that really grinds.

Can we cope? that's the issue. Im my opinion yes, and they may well involve air conditioning and living half your life in a swimming pool or under a cool shower if you reside in a big city. Otherwise, give up caffeine I guess and alcohol and stay still for long periods of time and don't get stressed- :) not so simple.

Mind you, I never acclimatised to the cold and greyness of England either :D .truly!

Look we will never be like someone raised on a Thai rice farm. However I still think running the aircon all the time means you will never make any progress towards acclimatizing. That's just giving up. A few months ago I tried running the aircon for a week and yes it was pleasant being inside but going outside felt like a total shock! Turned it off, going outside isn't a shock. I don't like the shock. I don't mean to get moralistic about it, but I think for the long haul it is healthier to go more local. Yes of course many Thais use aircon all the time too, but I think most of them are still better adapted when they go outside.

Edited by Jingthing

for me, I've set new extremes for what is 'hot', do my training - running and cycling - middle of the day, exercise to exhaustion, drink approx 2l per hour when exercising, sweat an embarrassing amount (sweat doesn't come close, I 'flow') and only occasionally cool a room with air-con but don't sleep with it on. Think I've adapted well, I considered doing muay Thai training (but decided against it) - this from the Rawai MT website:

Everyone takes a few days to adjust to training in tropical humidity. Most people can handle only 2 hours of training a day in their first week. By the third week most people can do 4 to 6 hours of training a day. Your fitness improves fast when you are training in the tropics, not staying in an air-conditioned bungalow will help you tolerate the humidity a lot faster. If air conditioning is a must have, try to keep it between 25 - 28 C.

I've seen MT trainees running in pvc jackets zipped to the neck, elastic round the wrists - looks like a form of torture to me but I guess it's a forced acclimatisation.

Not for everyone!

. . . and I'm from a miserable little town in NZ, last visited June and had minus 4.5 celcius, a nice reminder of why I left.

I live in the SF Bay area where in summer when never have heat lasting more than a few days before it cools off. We, including me, bitch and moan about the heat for a few days and before we have a chance to really get used to it the weather is temperate again.

When I get off the plane in Thailand I tend to just accept the heat and humidity. I do not think about it. The one thing that I would have problems with if if it is too hot to sleep but that is no different on hot days here - there you just have more of it. Aircon for sleeping is the only thing I need.

I change shirts and underwear, socks and shorts a few times a day and shower a few times also.

Then I go for it again.

Whatever you don't mind doesn't matter.

If I lived inland and away from the coast it might make me reconsider the above. If you are where you love to be the negatives seem less important somehow.

I don't live in Thailand yet but when I visit I sweat like michael jackson did in mothercare but I don't feel hot even though I'm a big lad but then I drink loads and loads of ice cold water all day, don't drink alcohol and do lots of walking

Brigante7.

Edited by Brigante7

I'm not gonna quote or mention names, but there are people on this forum that I can't for the life of me figure out what they are doing in Thailand... they have nothing but bad things to say about it, and shoot down anyone who says anything positive about it. Go back home, or at least start a journal and write your crap there and stop trying to make everyone else feel as miserable as you do.

Yea Thailand's hot... If you needed a travel brochure to tell you that the jungle is hot and humid you are a freaking idiot. Even Thai people don't sit outside and enjoy the weather in the summer, but it is possible to deal with it. I wasn't a huge fan of very hot days before I moved to Thailand, but I can ride a motorcycle across town in summer now without getting red blotches on my face (which used to happen when I was in the heat too much lol :)), so I feel that I've gotten accustomed to the heat very well. And I am from Wisconsin... our hottest day is like Thailand's coolest day!

I even spent a week in Isaan sleeping on a wooden floor with no AC in the middle of summer... and I lived. Actually, if you just lay still for a while, the heat seems to disappear... I usually woke up with a blanket on me in the morning.

I'm not gonna quote or mention names, but there are people on this forum that I can't for the life of me figure out what they are doing in Thailand... they have nothing but bad things to say about it, and shoot down anyone who says anything positive about it. Go back home, or at least start a journal and write your crap there and stop trying to make everyone else feel as miserable as you do.

I quite agree. And, in terms of that and the current topic -- they sweat the big things AND they sweat the small stuff.

As for me and acclimatizing. When I gained weight about 8 years ago, I started sweating much more when visiting here. Now that I have been living here for about 5 months I find that I am sweating plenty, although not as much. While I don't always find the heat pleasant, I don't really let it slow me down much. I prefer heat over cold...and I'm originally from western New York State in the snow belt...although modified after years of living in Virginia. I do find myself being a bit more tired, but then again I recently turned 60, so maybe that's to be expected. I am sleeping only about 8 hours per day, so I guess it's nothing serious, and I find it a fairly common thread topic on this forum. Overall I feel more "alive" here, so even that is okay. My feet and legs are definitely more tired some days, but then again, even on a normal day I am walking probably 4-5 times as much as I did back home where I could always just jump into my car. And the days I go on my photography walks I am standing and walking for 3-5 hours without stop.

Of course, it would be nice if it were always 76% with low humidity and a slight breeze. But then I wouldn't be in Thailand.

People I have spoken to who have been out here a year or so say they haven't (they are from the UK).

Thanks.

Live in Arizona for a couple of years and make sure you get into a car that's been out in the sun for a few hours. You won't complain about the heat in Thailand.

I believe if you eat the same food as the Thai peasant people you will acclimatise sooner. Most westerners carry too much body fat and they sweat more often. The men who I see sweat the most are usually over weight. Fat is okay in cold countries, but not so good in hot, humid countries.

I don't have a problem with the heat, but I would say it probably takes several months to adjust and during that time you must never use air-con night or day.

Once you have adjusted, lets say after six months then only use the aircon at night during the most humid months and make sure that the air-con temperature is high not cool. (That is to sleep with a single sheet unclothed).

Where do you come from?

OP has already stated that he comes from UK, and experiences sweating when asleep in rooms above 26c. In time I reckon 27 will be possible and perhaps 28, but what you write is beyond most people from UK IMHO.

Love extreme heat and don't mind the cold, although much prefer to live in the heat... a big plus of being here. Besides, it's good for you, keeps everything supple and sweating is also good. Being in Chiang Mai, it is nice to get the cool winter months for a break though. Only use aircon an hour when hitting the sack when it's hot and never set below 27/28 degrees. Drinking (not gulping) water constantly is a must for keeping everything ticking over properly and not stressing the organs, especially in this heat. Never allow yourself to become thirsty as the body goes into emergency mode and gos haywire, making things more uncomfortable. Also, using electrolytes like Dechamp is a must for replacing salts :)

It's good for the body to be tested but not to live at the edge all the time, so what you right is plain bad advice in my opinion. Like you say it's nice to get a few month's break.

Thailand! Beautiful one day...perfect the next.

I grew up in the Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia. The temp range is from about -2 to about 47 (degrees Celsius). Summer humidity was about +80% (very uncomfortable).

Thailand's weather is fantastic (by comparison) although I do miss the temperature variation. The humidity here is not as bad as my home town.

Right now, I'm getting a tad cold. I've already put some clothes on & turned off the fan.

I hate cold weather...I love hot weather.

Ps. If you think this place is hot, go to Lightning Ridge or White Cliffs (Australia). Summer - up to 55 degrees C.

Edited by elkangorito

Yes I did - after a couple of years travelling in non-ac buses around Bkk, apartments not having air-con.

Now, I don't like air-con as I'm always too cold.

Even Thai people call me 'kee nao'.

Thanks.

Live in Arizona for a couple of years and make sure you get into a car that's been out in the sun for a few hours. You won't complain about the heat in Thailand.

Thinking about it- old desert rat here probably needs a wet winter in Wolverhampton to experience the problem from the other angle. :)

Coming from one of the coldest country in the world.

Moved here 10 years ago and aircon was on 24/7 and set to 22 degrees.

10 years later and only use aircon when go to sleep, now set at 27 degrees (missus still complain). :)

Its possible to acclimatise but it takes time.

Humidity is the killer in my case, some days are still a living hel_l.

Edited by Smile4u

I don't think it is possible for everybody to do this, but I reckon it is for most people. We all have different states of health and background. However, I am certain you can't do this unless you choose to "bite the bullet" and be very uncomfortable for a long period of time while you do adjust to the new climate.

I am not sure if I am acclimatised or not , but I had to stop using a/c and fan at night becuase I got terrible headcolds when using them.So now I seldom even use a fan in the house, just cross breezes,at night sleep with bedroom outside door open and all windows open.Electric is free I use so little.I shower whenever I feel to hot , the odd thing is sweating is no longer an issue for me it feels ok.