Retired At 45

Good day! Readers.

In most South East Asia countries, such as Singapore, Malaysia and Philippines, do welcome foreign retirees of age 45 years old or even lower. Unfortunately, the requirement for Retirement Visa of Thailand is 50 years old and above. Is the government of Thailand planning to lower the age limit for Retirement Visa from 50 to 45 years old in the coming future?

Thank you for reading.

I think more likely to raise the retirement age than lower it in Thailand. :)

I completely disagree. The most recent change was lowering it from age 55 to age 50, so there is no logical reason to think they would raise it up from age 50. I don't expect a lowering either, but not impossible. I think that bottom line Thais think age 50 is old, so 50 fits for Thailand.

For someone who is 45, they could theoretically stretch the ED visa for 5 years while waiting for the "golden" number.

Edited by Jingthing

I completely disagree. The most recent change was lowering it from age 55 to age 50, so there is no logical reason to think they would raise it up from age 50. I don't expect a lowering either, but not impossible. I think that bottom line Thais think age 50 is old, so 50 fits for Thailand.

For someone who is 45, they could theoretically stretch the ED visa for 5 years while waiting for the "golden" number.

Many thanks for all the replies.

Is ED Visa for 5 years 100% feasible? My feeling is that the Thai Language School will definitely assist the 45 years old retiree to renew his/her ED Visa every year but I am very sure that the Thai Immigration (TI) or rather the Thai Government (TG) will give this retiree a very hard time. The worst case is TI or TG might even disapprove his/her ED Visa extension after one year or two years.

Best regards

Edited by retireAt45

As you say you are retired at age 45, you might approach a Canadian-based group like Plan Canada with operations in Thailand and for the proper financial contribution have them write a letter for you to obtain a 'B' visa. You would be in the Kingdom as an observer or benefactor, not a volunteer which would have work permit implications.

I had a similar arrangement (minus the financial contribution) for my first 3 years in Thailand and now extend the same 'B' visa each year based on retirement.

Good day! Readers.

In most South East Asia countries, such as Singapore, Malaysia and Philippines, do welcome foreign retirees of age 45 years old or even lower. Unfortunately, the requirement for Retirement Visa of Thailand is 50 years old and above. Is the government of Thailand planning to lower the age limit for Retirement Visa from 50 to 45 years old in the coming future?

Thank you for reading.

I believe you are wrong about singapore. There is no retirement visa there.

Many thanks for all the replies.

Is ED Visa for 5 years 100% feasible? My feeling is that the Thai Language School will definitely assist the 45 years old retiree to renew his/her ED Visa every year but I am very sure that the Thai Immigration (TI) or rather the Thai Government (TG) will give this retiree a very hard time. The worst case is TI or TG might even disapprove his/her ED Visa extension after one year or two years.

Best regards

Yes, the schools will advise for how long they think you can keep renewing. Some of them explicitly state the number of years possible in their adverts. Of course you are right you are always subject to the decisions at immigration. I would expect after some years they are going to expect you to actually speak some Thai to them, so you would actually have to do some work. But the obvious answer is NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT can anyone give you a 100 percent guarantee you will be able to renew the ED for 5 years. For all we know, the ED visa option will be the next "crackdown" target tomorrow. Thailand is a very poor country choice for those seeking ironclad guarantees. Even the retirement visa has no such guarantee.

Good day! Readers.

Thank you for reading.

I apologise for my mistake. Singapore government do offer a Long Stay Visa for five years to foreigners of age 45 years old and above. The good news is it can be renewed so this Long Stay Visa is very similar to a Retirement Visa of Thailand; the bad news is you need to be a millionaire in order to qualify to apply.

Best regards.

Edited by retireAt45

Good day! Readers.

Thank you for reading.

there is... sort of... kinda...

Eligibility

Social visitors are eligible to apply for a renewable Visit Pass for long term stay of up to 5 years if they meet the following criteria:

45 years old and above;

-own a property / properties in Singapore worth at least S$500,000 (in total) for residential purposes and meet any one of the following financial requirements:

-have savings of at least S$400,000 parked in Singapore in any form of financial instruments based in Singapore, or

-show evidence of a monthly local income of at least S$7,000, or

-have a combined, savings and 5-year equivalent income of at least $400,000.

-must be in good health.

-have valid medical insurance in Singapore.

-For renewal of the Visit Pass for purpose of long term stay, the applicant is required to meet the same set of investment, financial and medical requirements as indicated in paragraph (1) to (4) above.