Expert Advice Sought

Bagwan

Ex meaning has been, spurt meaning big drip. Childlike humour out the way, here goes.

For some time now my PC has at times totally locked up, the cursor doesn't move, the screen freezes, downloads come to a grinding halt. All a bit like a Government office, nothing moves. Even threatening it with the dustbin hasn't worked. All that I can do is reload and as I use free versions of file download sites which do not checkpoint I cannot resume. A bit annoying when you've download over a Meg and just have a few k's to go.l

The problem manifests itself when swapping pages. I thought at first it was a mouse click problem but a new mouse and driver had no effect. I suspect the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 video card and/or the Samsung SyncMAster740N screen may have a fault but since it is intermittent I can only guess.

I tried removing the video card and trying one that I had borrowed but after taking out the retaining screw I cannot persuade the card to slide out. Nobody that I know has a spare monitor that I can borrow to check that out. This leaves me groping in the dark in my study instead of on a crowded commuter train in Japan. :)

Any bright ideas before I reach for a 4lb hammer?

Edited by Bagwan

MS had its biggest security updates yesterday, up to 37 crucial fixes, depending on version. Have you updated yet and do you have a genuine version?

My guess is that the days are numbered for users using non genuine versions unless you want to reformat for 500 Baht a week.

Edited by elcent

The graphics card won't come out because there is a lock the end opposite end to the screen on the socket it fits into. Gets some light on it and look you will find it, either a plastic tag hang out a bit to realese it or a little plastic button. If you are using a 5500 the whole computer is probably getting a bit long in the tooth.

Ex meaning has been, spurt meaning big drip. Childlike humour out the way, here goes.

For some time now my PC has at times totally locked up, the cursor doesn't move, the screen freezes, downloads come to a grinding halt. All a bit like a Government office, nothing moves. Even threatening it with the dustbin hasn't worked. All that I can do is reload and as I use free versions of file download sites which do not checkpoint I cannot resume. A bit annoying when you've download over a Meg and just have a few k's to go.l

The problem manifests itself when swapping pages. I thought at first it was a mouse click problem but a new mouse and driver had no effect. I suspect the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 video card and/or the Samsung SyncMAster740N screen may have a fault but since it is intermittent I can only guess.

I tried removing the video card and trying one that I had borrowed but after taking out the retaining screw I cannot persuade the card to slide out. Nobody that I know has a spare monitor that I can borrow to check that out. This leaves me groping in the dark in my study instead of on a crowded commuter train in Japan. biggrin.gif

1. Scan your computer for viruses and malware using the following programs (Free):

AVIRA

Malwarebytes

Malicious Software Removal Tool

2. Check your hard disk for errors. A drive with bad sectors will also exhibit the symptoms you described.

MS had its biggest security updates yesterday, up to 37 crucial fixes, depending on version. Have you updated yet and do you have a genuine version?

My guess is that the days are numbered for users using non genuine versions unless you want to reformat for 500 Baht a week.

The latest patches can be easily obtained via Automatic Updates or downloaded HERE.

A 4lb hammer might not be enough. Try to get a bigger one!!!

If you have a backup (what you should have) just install a clean OS and look if you have the same problems. If so it might be a hardware problem. If there are no problems with the clean OS make a repair install of your system - but don't select repair at the beginning when Windows asks you if you want to install or repair. Select Install (Enter I guess). Select the repair option when Windows found after a while that you have an OS installed already and asks you what to do now - you will need the OS key again. To do this you need the OS disk!!! You might have to install some software with their drivers again despite the repair - Nero for instance, Acronis True Image too if I remember correctly.

I hope you have checked for virus already and cleaned the start-up entries before the great idea with the hammer came up. If you want to sell the used hammer please let me know. Will put it next to my computer :)

Edited by Beggar

It's not the monitor. The monitor can't make your computer lock up.

Doh! Silly me. It just shows how aggravated I am. Thoughts whirling around in ever decreasing circles until they disappear up my fundamental orifice. Now reaching for the Valium. Thanks for reminding me of the obvious. :)

The graphics card won't come out because there is a lock the end opposite end to the screen on the socket it fits into. Gets some light on it and look you will find it, either a plastic tag hang out a bit to realese it or a little plastic button. If you are using a 5500 the whole computer is probably getting a bit long in the tooth.

Seek and you will find. Will check it out.

Am thinking of replacing the entire system and handing over the old warhorse to the kids who live in Lomsak. I want to make sure that what I am handing over is a workable system since I doubt that there many, if any. who could diagnose and fix a fault in those parts.

Guess you are right about the video card. Same same me. Too old and getting past it.

I had a similar problem some time ago and it were bad sectors on the harddidk.You can go to the website of your harddisk manufacturer and download a tool to check your harddisk on defective sectors.

Also as another poster already suggested do a scan with malwarebytes,it's a free download and very useful.

At the end you can try a system restore to a date where you know it was functioning correctly.

If nothing of this helps,I saw a place the other day where they sell 4lb hammers cheap.

Are all the heat sinks, fans and vents clean? over heating maybe a possibility, I had a similar problem with one I put together a while ago and turned out the power plug to the hard drive was streched and not making a good connection. You could also try removing the ram and refitting it as they occasionly have contact problems.

Update arrived today and implemented. Assume that I have a genuine version then.

Are all the heat sinks, fans and vents clean? over heating maybe a possibility, I had a similar problem with one I put together a while ago and turned out the power plug to the hard drive was streched and not making a good connection. You could also try removing the ram and refitting it as they occasionly have contact problems.

My thoughts too.

Check the hardware first before the OS.

My thoughts too.

Check the hardware first before the OS.

Have taken the entire system apart, vacuumed out the case, cleaned all the contacts, put everything back firmly in place and all the problems were over. Then Maxnet went down for 60 hours!

Thanks for all responses.