Non-o Multiple Entry Problem At Suvarnabhumi

I am from Germany and I entered by Subvarnabhumi on October 7 th on a multiple Non-O issued by the Thai consulate in Essen, Germany for 120 Euros ( 50 Euros only for a Non-O single entry! ). I received a 90-day Visa Non -O , and it was neither stamped "used" nor changed from "multiple" to "one".

However when I went to Singkhon Immigration in Hua Hin, and had it extended to a semi-retiree One Year Visa, I noticed that I was asked if I wished a single entry or multiple entry One Year Visa ! A single re-entry will cost around 1700 Baht and a multiple will cost you 4700 Baht. I realized I should not have had a Non-O Multiple issued by the consulate first hand as a single-entry Non-O would have served the same purpose ! You pay for the mulitple entry at the Thai Immigration, not in your homeland.

After reading your post I checked my passport and the visa stamps, discovered the stamp of the Singkhon immigration says number of persons in one section and in the next it says number of entries, and the stamp for the person number is a clearly big , fat "ONE" and is reaching almost across over a smaller stamped , tiny "MULTIPLE" , so i suffered a little aftershock !! A second reading revealed everything is just fine !

It might be a little off-topic and not describing the same procedure for citizens of the U.K. , anyways I thought it worthwhile posting.

I agree with most of the readers and I rate a visit at the Bangkok Immigration as the best in trying to resolve this error.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am from Germany and I entered by Subvarnabhumi on October 7 th on a multiple Non-O issued by the Thai consulate in Essen, Germany for 120 Euros ( 50 Euros only for a Non-O single entry! ). I received a 90-day Visa Non -O , and it was neither stamped "used" nor changed from "multiple" to "one".

However when I went to Singkhon Immigration in Hua Hin, and had it extended to a semi-retiree One Year Visa, I noticed that I was asked if I wished a single entry or multiple entry One Year Visa ! A single re-entry will cost around 1700 Baht and a multiple will cost you 4700 Baht. I realized I should not have had a Non-O Multiple issued by the consulate first hand as a single-entry Non-O would have served the same purpose ! You pay for the mulitple entry at the Thai Immigration, not in your homeland.

After reading your post I checked my passport and the visa stamps, discovered the stamp of the Singkhon immigration says number of persons in one section and in the next it says number of entries, and the stamp for the person number is a clearly big , fat "ONE" and is reaching almost across over a smaller stamped , tiny "MULTIPLE" , so i suffered a little aftershock !! A second reading revealed everything is just fine !

It might be a little off-topic and not describing the same procedure for citizens of the U.K. , anyways I thought it worthwhile posting.

I agree with most of the readers and I rate a visit at the Bangkok Immigration as the best in trying to resolve this error.

You applied for 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

Your extension ends if you leave the country.

You can buy a re-entry permit to have your extension of stay valid.

Current fees for re-entry permit

* 1,000 Baht for single

* 3,800 Baht for multiple

More here: Re-entry permit

I appreciate that English is not your first language, but I'm not sure that I understand any of this.

Do you mean that you entered Thailand on a Non immigrant "O" and then converted it to a Non immigrant "O-A" ?

I didn't think that any Visas had an entry for number of persons.

I feel very sorry for you.

This happened to a friend of mine and it is most important that everyone checks their stamps at the point of entry.

If a mistake has been made, this is the best time to rectify it.

I really hope that you can have your stamp corrected.

Good luck.

Now out of 14 million visitors who get stamped at Swampy how many CAN an DO check their stamps? :)

Everyone can check to see if they have the proper entry stamp, why couldnt they? I would say those that Do check are people who have ,or heard of someone who had, a problem, myself included.

You applied for 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

Your extension ends if you leave the country.

You can buy a re-entry permit to have your extension of stay valid.

Current fees for re-entry permit

* 1,000 Baht for single

* 3,800 Baht for multiple

More here: Re-entry permit

The poster does seems a little confused, and suspect PS' interpretation may be correct, but the poster would have needed to provide immigration with financial documentation (bank letter showing 800k+ balance for 2 months prior to application (unless going combo route) or income letter from embassy showing 65k/month or combination of the two) to obtain extension of stay based on retirement. Would need to see a scan of passport entries to confirm. You cannot enter Thailand on a Non immigrant "O" and then convert it to a Non immigrant "O-A", only in this case to extension of stay based on retirement.

Edited by thaiphoon

I had this happen before, you must visit immgration and have them correct the problem.

a victim ,, same --same

i always check immigration stamp etc .

b4 leaving immigration desk ..

dont be in any rush ...

any problems can be sorted out at source ...

I recommend that ALL farang check their passport after entry into the Kingdom of Thailand AND rectify any mistakes immediately there.

The Golden rule!

I never go two steps without first checking my stamps. A new lesson here is to check the visa too.

Nice in theory.

I was advised to consult my Immigration officer before returning home, which I did three times - twice by phone and once in person. Never once was I told I need a special 're-entry' stamp to keep my visa valid while I was back home. I got a stamp at the airport and left. Then the problems came hard when I returned.

Long story short, how is anyone suppose to know whether the correct stamp has been put into one's book or not particularly if one follows all of Immigrations instructions explicitly?

There was NO mistake made on my part as my wife is amply competent and able to converse in both languages fluently.

All this was just before crap hit the fan regarding 're-entry stamps', you know, when Immigration decided they better start making this little overlooked nugget of information clear to all -- despite never correcting their mistake in my case and, of course, acting as this was entirely my doing and never offering so much as a simple apology.

The ordeal cost my wife and I nearly $3500 to get sorted out.

At the end of the day, the hidden costs of staying in Thailand can quickly eat up a quarter of your budget!

This all boils down to the poor education system here and the endemic lose of face culture, which means YOU pay the price! Until the education system is massively improved for the average Thai, this problem will persist. Even "educated" Thais, you'll find the immigration officer will have no doubt a number of local technical and academic qualifications, are not well skilled in these basic administrative matters. That's why so many Thais send their kids to international schools and their older offspring to overseas universities in the developed world where they can afford it. They know and everyone else (though they don't admit it - again, lose of face), that training for jobs or education in general is still on a developing world scale. Though it certainly is not the worst it lacks the basic ability to allow the average young Thai the skills when they have left school to think for themselves or even admit when they have made a simple mistake. :)

Any other place (that does not have a similar face saving culture), would have said, "Oh sorry bout that. My mistake, hang on a while, I'll fix it in a jiffy!" Even though inconvienient most other good immigration services will have seen the mistake and fixed it quietly and efficiently, but you now know what is meant by TIT's! This Is Thailand! :D

Long story short, how is anyone suppose to know whether the correct stamp has been put into one's book or not particularly if one follows all of Immigrations instructions explicitly?

Explicit immigration instructions say that you need a valid visa or re-entry permit to enter Thailand, otherwise the visa exempt or visa on arrival rules apply. The subject has been extensively covered on ThaiVisa Forum.

I entered via BKK airport after 1st October 2009 with a multi non imm O from the UK and received 90 days. No used stamp. I really do not believe that they are treating multi entries as single as Hull misinformed you.

Same here. I arrived back at Bangkok on the 9th Oct' and no 'Used' stamp on mine.

Looks like a sad case of a plonker on the desk and he was just unlucky.

If you have a Non O multiple entry visa in your passport is it normal (or is there anything wrong) with them stamping a date stamp (entry date) over the visa?

Does a USED stamp invalidate that multiple entry visa officially, after all, it has been 'used' and can be 'used' again, if the expiry date of the multiple visa is clear.

If you have a Non O multiple entry visa in your passport is it normal (or is there anything wrong) with them stamping a date stamp (entry date) over the visa?

Does a USED stamp invalidate that multiple entry visa officially, after all, it has been 'used' and can be 'used' again, if the expiry date of the multiple visa is clear.

Are you referring to you the rectangular immigration entry stamp or a separate date stamp? It is not normal to put the immigration entry stamp over the visa. Have always seen it stamped on separate page and normally the exit stamp would go next to the entry stamp on departure. If a separate date stamp, I have not seen that before on multiple-entry visa. Perhaps you could scan in a copy of the passport page so we can understand better.

Suspect you may have problems on re-entry with the 'used' stamp on the visa, and may be at the mercy of the immigration officer as to whether you get 90 day entry or 30/15 day visa exempt entry. Hence the need to get resolved. Posts #14 and #15 gave you some advice as to what you should do to try to rectify the situation.

Edited by thaiphoon

Whenever you get a stamp of any kind put into your passport always check what it is for and in Thailand in particular make sure it is the visa you requested, eg type and length of stay, dates ect.

Before leaving the officer dealing with your present situation

Do photocopies of all relevant info for your records, just in case you loose your passport.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

They should not stamp anything on the visa, you simply get a rectangular stamp with the entry date and a "valid until" date.

On a tourist visa valid for more than one entry the immigration officers habitually write the number of the entry with the date next to it and on the last entry stamp “USED” across the visa. In the example below of an old double-entry tourist visa the second entry was not used, and the "USED" stamp and date was added for years later when I entered with a subsequent tourist visa, I guess so that Thai immigration officers looking at my passport later would immediately see that the visa was expired and thus look for the new, valid visa elsewhere in the passport.

post-21260-1256476002_thumb.jpg

--

Maestro

this happened to me once ( am on a retire type "o" ) and all i did was cross out where it they had stamped used (over my mutliple re-entry stamp) .

Never any trouble as future immigration saw it was multiple.

I always check stamp now at at the counter before i leave.

Edited by phuketrichard

One of the nicest "Immigration Experiences" I have had, was visiting the "Stamp Corrections Desk" at Bangkok Immigration.

Smiles and apologies from the girl who corrected the wrong stamp and further apologies from a very senior officer who came up to me during the process.

No 'Loss of face' encountered.

Now out of 14 million visitors who get stamped at Swampy how many CAN an DO check their stamps? :)

Everyone can check to see if they have the proper entry stamp, why couldnt they? I would say those that Do check are people who have ,or heard of someone who had, a problem, myself included.

Because 95% of the 14 million Swampy arrivals don't have a clue what all the stamps mean in their passports.

see Maestro's tourist visa has 7 stamps, how would an ordinary tourist know something is wrong there?

I'm sorry to hear of this experiance Syd but, from reading about Thailand before my first trip here I understood that before you approach immmigration you should know what you expect to be stamped in your passport and when it is handed back to you check that that is the case.

They are generally on auto-pilot mode doing that job and if they have an attitude problem as well it is worth the nasty look from them of others waiting in line while you confirm you have not been screwed.

When I have entered Thailand with non-standard visas etc. I have always spoken in English to the immigration officer clerk that I have a business visa or I am re-entering etc. I have had them fail to acknowledge me - but put the correct stamp in my passport.

While we are on Passports - my personal hate is the clerks that are too lazy to attempt to use the remotest care when stamping the passport and seem to try an use up one page per stamp. I have drawn guide-lines on mine to aid their overly complex task of placing a rubber stamp with care.

As a variation on the OP's problem, I entered at Suvarnab. last Wednesday 21st October with a 1-year multiple O visa issued in Hull and was given 90 days, but I subsequently noticed that the IO has added the figure '3' to the bottom of the stamp, as if I have used up one of four possible entries - unless there's some other different meaning. I would have thought that 1-year multiple means I could re-enter every week for a year if I choose.

I'm not desperately bothered, I'll ask for a correction on my first border run, and the worst possible outcome would seem that I'll have to apply for my in-country Retirement extension a bit earlier than I otherwise might have done. But such quixotic interpretations of their own rules are a little unsettling.

As a variation on the OP's problem, I entered at Suvarnab. last Wednesday 21st October with a 1-year multiple O visa issued in Hull and was given 90 days, but I subsequently noticed that the IO has added the figure '3' to the bottom of the stamp, as if I have used up one of four possible entries - unless there's some other different meaning. I would have thought that 1-year multiple means I could re-enter every week for a year if I choose.

I'm not desperately bothered, I'll ask for a correction on my first border run, and the worst possible outcome would seem that I'll have to apply for my in-country Retirement extension a bit earlier than I otherwise might have done. But such quixotic interpretations of their own rules are a little unsettling.

I have just been re-looking at mine and on the square entry stamp (90 days) the immigration office has NOT hand written visa type ie. Non O or even added the incoming flight # or even a squiggle of a signature.

Yet looking back at lots and lots of square 90 day stamps I have always had two out of three at the least.

In response to some of the posters who said I should of checked; of course I did immediately; and saw my 90 day (I had already worked out the 90 day date in January 2010) however this page (with the departure card stapled in) was some way from my Multiple Non O stamp from Hull.

Was it counter number 3? Was your flight number 3? Whatever it is it is not the number of entries remaining.

It's just possible it was counter 3 as I was with the missis in the second line from the end (Thai passport holders) and there might have been one closed, but I can't imagine why there would be such an endorsement.

I'll have to watch the IO closely on the first border run and if he puts a '2' on his stamp I'll ask him why.

This happened to me once ( am on a retire type "o" ) and all i did was cross out where it they had stamped used (over my mutliple re-entry stamp) . Never any trouble as future immigration saw it was multiple.

I always check stamp now at at the counter before i leave.

In my completely unqualified opinion, the "Used" stamp exists purely for the convenience of the immigration officers (if you have several visas, it's easier to find the right one).

Your visa was not "Cancelled" or "Revoked", nor does it say anywhere that it is no longer valid. Sure, it was used... multiple times, and is still valid.

However, interpretation depends on the whim of the next immigration grunt who processes you. I would not leave it up to them, especially given the issue of face if you need to clarify the rules or check with a superior. Best to clear it with the main office first.

Think you must have upset someone along the way---I entered at BKK last year on my first Retirement visa which I got in NZ[my home country] and the officer stamped me as a one month visitor.I reported to Nongkhai at the end of that month and they spamped me for 90 days.I carried on doing this until the last trip was for 2 months and they gave me my 2ndretirement visa----no problems-------Dougal

Exactly what did you have from NZ? A retirement visa (OA) should have received a one year permitted to stay stamp on entry. A multi entry non immigrant O visa a 90 day stamp on entry. In no case should Nong Khai have been stamping you for 90 days.

Or do you mean you went to Laos and returned for a 90 day stamps?

Can you explain exactly what these 90 day stamps from Nong Khai say?