The Chumpon "keep Left" Scam

JetsetBkk

It's not a law. Last year Thai Rath had an article which they suggested readers cut out and keep in the car and show when stopped for this 'offence'. They quoted the relevant laws to show that it's definitely not illegal (in a car, think it is on a bike though). But it is one of the most common money spinners right across the country.

Someone in the office had scanned this.

The Thai Rath point is that according to the the intention of the law, roads where the traffic is moving in one direction (which should cover all the highways where there is some physical separation of the traffic directions), then it's not illegal to travel down the right-hand lane if the vehicle is a truck of under 1,600 kg, a pickup or a car. It is illegal for heavy trucks, passenger vehicles and motorcycles and for vehicles travelling slower than other traffic.

The loophole for the police seems to be that they still consider these roads as 2-way traffic. As the roads, vehicles and laws have improved and developed, Thai Rath wonders whether the police have kept up (and Chonburi and Pattaya are mentioned in particular).

post-49066-1256481292_thumb.jpg

Edited by KhaoNiaw

It must be nice for the BiB working in a town surrounded by crap roads. A nice little earner they've got.

Jealous, huh? Standing out in the middle of the road, getting sun burned and arguing with people for a 300 baht take that has to get chopped up with your superiors hardly sounds like a dream job too me. White skin like this?, Id burn up like pop corn.

Exactly! This valuable time could be used to sleep, drink, gamble, play cards, sleep more, visit karaoke bars, or sleep.

That road is bloody awful, it goes from silky smooth to holes you could lose a car in, I have seen numerous LARGE car and lorry parts on it that I have had to swerve past.

dam_n straight. I think it was on that stretch that I blew one of the shock absorbers on my CBR!

I've only been pulled over for right-lane hogging when up north, just got a warning not to do it again (of course officer!) and sent on my way...