Can I Build And Register A House In My Own (farang) Name?

I am building a small house for the in-laws, but since I am paying it is only fair the house is registered in my name. Today we went to the housing planning department (sam-nang-ngan-ket) in Thonburi and selected a drawing for the house, but when it was time to complete the registration form we were informed that the house application form can NOT be made in my name, only a Thai name. Is that really true?

For all legal purpose my in-laws are strangers to me as I am not married to my gf, but I had the impression that a farang (non-Thai alien) could build a house on Thai owned land. Am I wrong or were we wrongly informed at the housing department?

I am building a small house for the in-laws, but since I am paying it is only fair the house is registered in my name. Today we went to the housing planning department (sam-nang-ngan-ket) in Thonburi and selected a drawing for the house, but when it was time to complete the registration form we were informed that the house application form can NOT be made in my name, only a Thai name. Is that really true?

For all legal purpose my in-laws are strangers to me as I am not married to my gf, but I had the impression that a farang (non-Thai alien) could build a house on Thai owned land. Am I wrong or were we wrongly informed at the housing department?

Your going down a very bad road with this relationship. With that said you have to lease the land have it registered at the land office and then you can build a house and all of this is yours for thirty years or just give them the money (one million baht?) and say good buy. Please wake up and see a lawyer. :)

Your going down a very bad road with this relationship. With that said you have to lease the land have it registered at the land office and then you can build a house and all of this is yours for thirty years or just give them the money (one million baht?) and say good buy. Please wake up and see a lawyer. :)

A dangerous road maybe, but not necessary a bad road and it will be a good learning experience if I one day want to build a house for myself. It make perfectly sense that I would have to lease their land to get the house in my name.

I do wake up and a see a lawyer every morning :D , the gf has a law degree.

A dangerous road maybe, but not necessary a bad road and it will be a good learning experience if I one day want to build a house for myself. It make perfectly sense that I would have to lease their land to get the house in my name.

I do wake up and a see a lawyer every morning :D , the gf has a law degree.

Your girlfriend is a lawyer and you consult with armchair lawyers here on this forum? doesn't show much faith or respect for your girlfriend.....Does she know you're seeking legal advice behind her back ?

Edited by JRinger

Sure, her heart is of course partly with her dear mommy, but we all love our parents and want the best for them, don't we?

The situation is that I won't miss a meal probably not even a beer at Sukhumvit, but it will literlly mean the world to them if they get the house.

If I am lucky, maybe my Karma will improve in the process :) .

Sure, her heart is of course partly with her dear mommy, but we all love our parents and want the best for them, don't we?

The situation is that I won't miss a meal probably not even a beer at Sukhumvit, but it will literlly mean the world to them if they get the house.

If I am lucky, maybe my Karma will improve in the process :) .

Sure hope the GF or in-laws won't expect a Sin Sod!

You could put the house in a company name and the land with it but then your girfriend won't own?I had a past experience of buying a house for my XThai wife and now she wants to sell it to me again,twice over! I would say that your doing the best thing but if anything does go wrong,would you want to live there?? :) Best of luck,dont be another farang mug is my advice but its up to you!

Edited by michael233

OP

If the land title is Chanote or NS3G you can lease the land in your name. On leased land you can apply for buildingpermit in your name. Needed documents are lease, passport and Certificate of Residence (normally issued by Immigration). House build according to buildingpermit becomes your property and remains so as long as lease is valid max 30 years.

But if its an inexpensive house, why spend all this money on legal fees, taxes and so on?

And if you brake up, you cant sell the land & house easily anyway so would you like to live there?

OP

If the land title is Chanote or NS3G you can lease the land in your name. On leased land you can apply for buildingpermit in your name. Needed documents are lease, passport and Certificate of Residence (normally issued by Immigration). House build according to buildingpermit becomes your property and remains so as long as lease is valid max 30 years.

But if its an inexpensive house, why spend all this money on legal fees, taxes and so on?

And if you brake up, you cant sell the land & house easily anyway so would you like to live there?

Thanks for all the advise and the simplest solution, seems to be to make a usufruct (user right) on the land and then the house can be in my name.

As said before, I have no real interest in the house and for all practical purpose the house will belong to the in-laws. I might stay the odd night there after a BBQ in the front yard, but I will never live there.

The only reason why I would like the house in my name is that "Past favours hold no present value" in Thailand. A few years down the road, the favor of building the house will fast wear off, but a quick reminder that they are actually living in my house, should ensure a sort of mutual respect.

OP

Thanks for all the advise and the simplest solution, seems to be to make a usufruct (user right) on the land and then the house can be in my name.

As said before, I have no real interest in the house and for all practical purpose the house will belong to the in-laws. I might stay the odd night there after a BBQ in the front yard, but I will never live there.

The only reason why I would like the house in my name is that "Past favours hold no present value" in Thailand. A few years down the road, the favor of building the house will fast wear off, but a quick reminder that they are actually living in my house, should ensure a sort of mutual respect.

One small thing with USUFRUCT, add a third party to it - like a cousin or nephew or someone not directly related to your 'marriage/relationship' - the reason being that if you do get married and then divorced, the USUFRUCT could be called part of the matrimonial holdings, but a third party removes it from such a scenario. They need do nothing, jst be a name on the paperwork along with you.

OP

One small thing with USUFRUCT, add a third party to it - like a cousin or nephew or someone not directly related to your 'marriage/relationship' - the reason being that if you do get married and then divorced, the USUFRUCT could be called part of the matrimonial holdings, but a third party removes it from such a scenario. They need do nothing, jst be a name on the paperwork along with you.

Kindly explain more??? A third party? Thai 3rd party? how does this work? Thanks

Kindly explain more??? A third party? Thai 3rd party? how does this work? Thanks

Third party is exactly that, a person that is neither the husband or wife who is affected by the agreement. Your lawyer will hopefully know what to do. When a third person is involved, a marital agreement cannot be voided by either the husband or wife. See Section 1469 of the Civil and Commercial Code.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Your girlfriend is a lawyer and you consult with armchair lawyers here on this forum? doesn't show much faith or respect for your girlfriend.....Does she know you're seeking legal advice behind her back ?

Can't help but laugh.... :)