Politics And Thailand's Wealth Gap

Steve2UK

A better level of debate on a prescient topic.Thank you all for agood read.

As others notice pervasive corruption ethical apathy and an indefatigible pride are special factors here

However weath is to be distributed or held it needs be produced in the first place.

Lack of skills training and mentoring are key though not only handicaps.

Good honest Role models are needed though superstition,witchcraft and reincarnation all mediate the urge to reform,

However in there the much criticised USA ( I am not an American) a black president,Yet Thais spend more on skin whiteners than books

In reviled China and Cuba health schemes for not just the top tier.

In W Europe social consensus against abject poverty.Taxes are apid but courts health benefits investigative press and Freedom of info ombudsmen create social compact.Very politicians are admired witness the UK scandals ,yet these would hardly show up here.

Underemployment,traditional deference,gender roles and patronage all affect emerging economies.

Sad to see this nation with so much talent ssssincline towards the Burma Gaza N Korea basket rather than aspire to Malay Singapore or hong Kong work ethic.

................................................................................

Forner UK Union boss Vic Feather said "The buggers won't work

Change is on the horizon how it will all play remains to be seen,but as others have noted having a large underclas of dispossed youth with no stake is resolved through work and education

Edited by RubbaJohnny

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.......and then......REVOLUTION.

Don't believe me. Look at history.

The rich don't care, provided the revolution is not world wide. They just go somewhere else with their money hence the big "globalisation" lie which is just an excuse for the rich to move their capital wherever they can make (exploit) the most.

After the revolution the greediest of those remaining take over to repeat the cycle.

Another point Chang Noi doesn't address is that a lot of the elites wealth has been transferred out of Thailand (Ready for when they have to leave). I wouldn't be surprised if that is greater than what they keep in the country.

As a non-tax paying "guest" living in Thailand I have often wondered why they don't allow us residency and then tax our income. If most of the fahrang "guests" are in the upper income bracket why not make them citizens and tax 'em?

I guess it might set an unpleasant precedent for the non-tax paying wealthy thais also? :):D

The 1932 "revolution" didn't quite pan out as planned and Thailand bypassed the 1970's ones thanks to Uncle Sam so they are now in a quaint fascist backwater with their Burmese pals. It'll be interesting to see how much longer they can keep the lid on the pot without getting their fingers burnt. "The times they are a'changin"

Then again Dylan was wrong about that, too.

I wouldn't say so, but I guess some would. He's just a songwriter you know, but to think he didn't change his times , for example the civil rights movement, is I think incorrect. Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUpfMFOoYpA

Anybody comes up with something like that in Thailand and they're a dead man. hel_l, you couldn't even say it in America now. They'd just laugh at you.