Extending 15-day Stamp By 60-days Based On Fatherhood To Thai Child

A friend of mine just got his 60-day extension from immigration based on his fatherhood to his Thai daughter. He is unmarried and stayed on a Multiple-Entry Non-Immigrant 'O' obtained in Germany. He does not fulfill the criteria for a 1-year extension at the moment.

Immigration told him that after those 60 days he can exit Thailand and re-enter on the Visa Exemption Rule (15 days overland, 30 days at international airports) and apply for the next 60 days extension.

Can anybody confirm that this is indeed possible. I just want to rule out misunderstandings (since I haven't been at the immigration with him) and last-minute-changes-of-mind by uninformed immigration officers.

For him this would actually be pretty convenient and spare him a trip to a Thai embassy (not so) nearby.

welo

I recall same situation previously and immigration allowed second extension on basis on a new entry. But agree likely to be down to how immigration interpret the rules and cannot be wholly relied upon. If wants to move onto longer term footing then should apply for multi-entry Non-O visa at KL on basis of Thai child. Birth certificate naming Op's friend as father plus some money in the bank should be sufficient.

Thanks for the feedback!

Seems he should be alright since he will have re-entered Thailand and this is what the 'once per entry' phrasing suggests.

I was also worried about entering without a visa on the Visa Exemption Rule which would in normal cases (tourist) just give you a 7-day extension, right? I thought that maybe you would get longer extensions only on proper visas (Tourist, Non-O,..), but it seems that this is not the case. Just for curiosity, can you get a 1-year extension when entering on the Visa Exemption Rule?

KL would be the way to go for a longer stay, but he plans to go back to Europe next year anyway, so the 60-days extensions will be more economic.

welo

1) On visa exempt entry can obtain 7 day extension with air ticket out of the country within timescale

2) On tourist visa can obtain 30 day extension

3) On Non-O/B/ED visa can obtain 7 day extension with air ticket out of the country within timescale

4) On visa exempt entry can go through 2 step process, with minimum 21 days remaining on permission to stay, to convert to Non-O visa and then to stay if you meet the requirements for that extension of stay (marriage/retirement/employment etc).

Whilst in Europe he might choose to apply for multi-entry Non-O visa at honorary consulate if considering travelling back to Thailand foe some time.

Hmm. Will be hard to fullfill the 21-days requirement on a 15-days Permit of Stay :) However, this guy reported he got a 60-days extension based on marriage on a 15-days Permit of Stay. Makes me confident that it will work out :D Seems converting to a Non-O and hence the 21 days are only applicable for 1 year extensions.

welo

Actually it is for change of visa/issuance of visa. There is no 21 day requirement for extension of stay.

In the case of a 60 day extension of stay a non immigrant visa entry is not a requirement so no change/issuance of visa is required.

I recall same situation previously and immigration allowed second extension on basis on a new entry. But agree likely to be down to how immigration interpret the rules and cannot be wholly relied upon. If wants to move onto longer term footing then should apply for multi-entry Non-O visa at KL on basis of Thai child. Birth certificate naming Op's friend as father plus some money in the bank should be sufficient.

Having just come back from KL for a multi entry non O based on a Thai child:

I took, bank book, blue book with me named as the father, birth certificate with me named as the father, copy of rental agreement, copy of 670 GBP pension per month, letter from girlfriend requesting the visa issue.

I got a single entry because me and the mother are not married, they said they would only issue multi if I show a marriage certificate.

I took, bank book, blue book with me named as the father, birth certificate with me named as the father, copy of rental agreement, copy of 670 GBP pension per month, letter from girlfriend requesting the visa issue.

I got a single entry because me and the mother are not married, they said they would only issue multi if I show a marriage certificate.

Thanks for your comment!

That is not good news! Other reports before indicated that one would get a Multiple Entry, even with less funds. I guess for a single entry it's not worth the trip if you can get a 60 days extension on any Permit of Stay with less paperwork.

In your case if you cannot get a 1 year extension (670 GBP is sadly just under 40000 THB at the moment) don't forget that you can do the 60-days on your Non-O if you need it.

I also wonder whether you could get a 2x TV at Vientiane and extend each entry by 60 days based on the child rule. Depending where you live and how easy you can do a border run this could be a good solution, too. Just speculating here though, /me not an expert :)

welo

I was in the exact situation described by the original poster. A 15 day temporary visa, a child with a thai woman, and unmarried. I went to the immigration office with the girlfriend and baby and applied for a 60 day extension. I took a copy of the birth certificate and all the normal stuff, pictures, copies of passport and her ID.

Essentially, yes, they'll do it. I had a hitch where my girlfriend's ID is from Khorat, so they said I had to apply in the Khorat office (yeah right), or get a copy of my girlfriend's rental contract, and a copy of the manager's ID. We also got a letter from the apartment management saying we lived there and had a lease. Took it back, and they approved a 60 day extension. They actually did want to see the girlfriend and baby.

The whole thing took a few hours, which wasn't bad considering the number of people. They have a huge modern building, but decided not to invest in cheap little LED screens showing the number of the next person being served. They get up and call out numbers, so you have to pay attention and be ready, and it's confusing when you have number 19, but the number current number is 50, so it's unclear where it rolls over and how many people are actually ahead of you. Once it gets approved, they take your money and passport, give you another number, and tell you to wait again. It's very very unclear where to wait next, because the number card says wait by counter 5 and there is no counter 5, and no evidence of these different numbers being called. But you wait in front of the cubicle to the left that has a little sign that says "passports collected". This is the process you'll go through for normal visa extensions as well.

There are loads of taxis outside once you're finished.

What is the 'blue book with me named as the father' you mention in your above post? Never heard of this.

Tks..

What is the 'blue book with me named as the father' you mention in your above post? Never heard of this.

The blue book is the house book (Tabien Baan). When the child s born, it will have to get registered in the house book, and the entry will also contain the name of the foreign father (if he accepts the fatherhood).