Easy Visa For Uk Company Director?

robincd

Hi, been lurking a while, thanks in advance for the useful replies

I am looking for the easiest way to gain a visa to live in CM for two 3/4 month chunks a year. I am the director of a small UK company. 8 employees. Easily managable remotely (tried and tested) Plenty of cash in the bank (if that helps with visa requirements) So looking at a twelve month multiple entry catagory B on the pretence of ''information gathering'.

1/ Does anybody know what constitutes evidence of this. Can the proof be as vague? (business interest could conceivably be arranged if a real issue)

2/ If I don't work for a thai company, I am presuming I won't need a work permit, even if I draw a UK salary. Correct?

3/ Where is a good place to meet long(er) timers in Chiang Mai without crashing in hostels or visiting girlie bars? (i am 30)

I am visiting on the 20th Nov for a month, if anybody fancies sharing some wisdom in person about doing biz in CM and working remotely, I would like that a lot :)

Cheers

Robin

Why would you not simply get a 90 day tourist visa each time you visit (extend-able here I believe although it's many years since I've done it) and save all the effort?

You are effectively coming as a tourist, so why make things more difficult than they really are?

Why would you not simply get a 90 day tourist visa each time you visit (extend-able here I believe although it's many years since I've done it) and save all the effort?

You are effectively coming as a tourist, so why make things more difficult than they really are?

Thanks, that does seem sensibile, though I understand a drawback is that you have to wait another 90 days before reentry? I thought getting the 12 month might be simpler, but your suggestino does seem like the easiest way to do it. I'm guessing the UK embassy will be more lenient about the waiting 90 day rule.

Edited by robincd

Get a double entry Tourist Visa (2x 60days) for about £45 from the Birmingham or Cardiff Thai Consulate (details online)

http://freespace.virgin.net/royalthai.consulate/visas.htm

1st entry

If you are here for more than 60 days, go to immigration near CM airport on day 58 and buy an extension of 30 days for 1900bht.

2nd entry

Same again

Day trip

If you want to stay 6 months, at the end of your 1st entry extension (after the 60 + 30) get on the day mini bus to Mae Sai (Burma) for 650bht return, you need 500bht or 10$ for the Burma authorities, when you come back across the border Thai immigration authorise use of your 2nd entry.

Immediate re-entry is not a problem unless you have been abusing the system for YEARS.

Those people only get problems when trying to get a NEW visa, not when trying to use a visa already granted.

Edited by pjclark1

I echo the previous sentiments in that there's no need to complicate your life trying to get a B visa. An alternative would be to get ED visas - some friends who split their time between here and "The West" sign up for Thai language or Thai massage or even Muay Thai courses once or twice per year. You can come here on a Tourist Visa-on-Arrival, sign up for a course here, hop over to Laos, and come back the next day with ED visa in hand.

As far as meeting longtime expats, this very forum is your personal goldmine. I myself am not a girlie-bar kind of guy -- there are plenty of other entertainments in and around Chiang Mai.

It would have been helpful to give the dates I am hoping to stay

Sep to Dec - CM

Xmas - UK

Jan to April - CM

May to Aug - UK

So these chunks are 100 days +

It seems these kinds of rules are prone to time and place- I'll ring up the UK embassy tomorrow and report back with what the current state of play is

thanks again for the prompt replies

Go for the double entry tourist visa which you can get at Birmingham or I have used Hull in the past (via post) like a previous poster said. It can give you up to 180 days in total with just one day taken up in a border bounce mid way through and a couple of trips to immigration. It's dead simple like pjclark1 said.