Best Thanksgiving In Bkk?

CWMcMurray

Have been in Thailand for 5 years, but have never done the Thanksgiving thing (yes I am American).

This year my Mom will be visiting and think she would enjoying doing a tradditional Thanksgiving Diner, but not sure of where to go, so I am looking for Ideas...

My wife and I along with our 2 kids (2 yrs & 2 mo), the in-laws, wife's younger brother and my Mom.

Looking forward to your advice...

We go every year to Bourbon Street in Washington Square. They put on a huge buffet spread that starts at 12 noon on Thursday until 10pm, and again on Friday night. Google their website. Very delicious. about 850 Baht/pp. We're going again this year.

I completely understand if you want to go out for Thanksgiving. Your mom may know how to cook a Thanksgiving dinner, but I kinda doubt she knows how to do it in a tiny Thai kitchen with only 2 burners and a microwave. Unless it's possible to microwave a turkey, it's not going to happen at my house! :) Plus, she's on vacation - why would she want to slave away in the kitchen all day?

I asked about restaurants for Thanksgiving awhile back. I can't seem to find the thread, but several people did recommend Bourbon Street as well. They have their Thanksgiving menu on their website. In the past I went to a fancy hotel buffet (Marriott? Hilton?). It was great, but had way more food than we needed, and only a small fraction of the food was traditional Thanksgiving food.

I've always heard good things about Bourbon St. for Thanksgiving. Never actually been there on Thanksgivings - but have been on other days in the past and it has always been good food in a decent atmosphere - used to do a good Mexican buffet midweek too - haven't been for a few years though.

I'd add it's in Sukhumvit soi 22 down on LHS, in case you don't know Washington Square - as if you ask for Washington Square, taxi drivers often don't recognise the name.

Thanks for the info...

I do have a full kitchen with oven, but as tonititan mentioned, I am not sure Mom is going to want to do the whole Thanksgiving dinner on her vacation.

I have done Mexican Buffet quite few times at Bourbon Street over the years, but did not know they did Thanksgiving as well...

I asked about restaurants for Thanksgiving awhile back. I can't seem to find the thread, but several people did recommend Bourbon Street as well.

Here it is: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/American-Tha...er-t305634.html

Several good suggestions. A hotel might be the place if you want to go upscale with Mom and the family. Also, I suggest checking Friday's (20th) BKK Post Real Time section as they will have a list of hotel specials for next week.

Edited by dekestone

The big hotels put on a better meal with huge selections of quality food.  But Bourbon Street puts on a better Thanksgiving meal. THe foods are more traditional, the turkey tastes better, and they don't run out.  

I find it frustrating when I have to wait and wait at a high-end hotel buffet for new turkey breast roll to be brought out even if there is pretty good prime rib sitting there as well.  I don't want turkey roll, anyway.  So to be able to dig into real roasted turkey without waiting at BOurbon Street seals the deal for me.

The big hotels put on a better meal with huge selections of quality food.  But Bourbon Street puts on a better Thanksgiving meal. THe foods are more traditional, the turkey tastes better, and they don't run out.  

I find it frustrating when I have to wait and wait at a high-end hotel buffet for new turkey breast roll to be brought out even if there is pretty good prime rib sitting there as well.  I don't want turkey roll, anyway.  So to be able to dig into real roasted turkey without waiting at BOurbon Street seals the deal for me.

On Bourbon Street website it says 899 baht ++ (I guess the ++ is additional 17% VAT and Service charge) no thanks, I really dislike companies that operate like this adding 17% to their menu prices in the fine print, Taco Sunrise (a Sunbelt Asia company) does this too at the Emporium location, I refuse to patronize these places...

On Bourbon Street website it says 899 baht ++ (I guess the ++ is additional 17% VAT and Service charge) no thanks, I really dislike companies that operate like this adding 17% to their menu prices in the fine print, Taco Sunrise (a Sunbelt Asia company) does this too at the Emporium location, I refuse to patronize these places...

Yeah ... that'll teach 'em. Actually, you are going to pay the tax one way or the other, so why make it an "its-the-principle" issue? It's not like you are going to change anything.

Here's the actual info on the Bourbon Street offering...

post-53787-1258865788_thumb.jpg

I've tried both Bourbon Street and Bully's, as well as some others. Between the two, while Bourbon Street is OK, I agree with the above comment that Bully's is more authentic and better supplied, as well as being offered at a lower price (last year around 600 baht per person).

The Atrium at the Landmark was good also for a hotel-based choice, and a very broad and quality selection, at a much higher price, though they may be offering a 4 dine, pay for 2 special, which is great for parties of 4 or more.

But others who have gone there later in the evening in the past have complained about them running short of turkey and Thanksgiving basics... (apart from the many non-Thanksgiving things that were on offer). I went early, and had no problems lacking for anything. The food and the quality was very good, though the year I went, I did so under a 50% off deal...

Last year I walked into Bourbon Street around 7:30 and it was packed. I was given a ticket and told to wait about 20 minutes. I walked around to the buffet and the turkey was gone - maybe they were in the process of refilling it. Really loud and noisy, with TONS of people. So I walked out and went over to Bully's where it wasn't as crowded. Yes, it is a pub but the spread was really good. Ham and Turkey with all the fixings, plus pumpkin and pecan pie. I remember the stuffing being especially good. I'll probably go back there this year.

BULLY'S PUB on Sukhumvit between soi's 2&4 has a Thanksgiving Buffet; about B400.

I went to a pub/restaurant on that block a few years ago, don't recall the name, but it was fairly new at the time, just a few doors down from the big pharmacy -- maybe this was the place. They had the best price I could find for a Thanksgiving dinner. Went in and checked it out, and it was so much like US cafeteria food (where turkey is the cheap meat) that the sight and smell made me lose my appetite, couldn't get out the door fast enough.

YMMV.

I've tried both Bourbon Street and Bully's, as well as some others. Between the two, while Bourbon Street is OK, I agree with the above comment that Bully's is more authentic and better supplied, as well as being offered at a lower price (last year around 600 baht per person).

The Atrium at the Landmark was good also for a hotel-based choice, and a very broad and quality selection, at a much higher price, though they may be offering a 4 dine, pay for 2 special, which is great for parties of 4 or more.

But others who have gone there later in the evening in the past have complained about them running short of turkey and Thanksgiving basics... (apart from the many non-Thanksgiving things that were on offer). I went early, and had no problems lacking for anything. The food and the quality was very good, though the year I went, I did so under a 50% off deal...

I went to the Atrium last year, and aside from the turkey running out, it wasn't even a real turkey. it was some sort of turkey roll which the chef decided was more "up-scale." I talked to him about it, and he said his way of making turkey showed more cooking skill.

THanksgiving is one meal where i want to go the traditional route.

Last year I walked into Bourbon Street around 7:30 and it was packed. I was given a ticket and told to wait about 20 minutes. I walked around to the buffet and the turkey was gone - maybe they were in the process of refilling it. Really loud and noisy, with TONS of people. So I walked out and went over to Bully's where it wasn't as crowded. Yes, it is a pub but the spread was really good. Ham and Turkey with all the fixings, plus pumpkin and pecan pie. I remember the stuffing being especially good. I'll probably go back there this year.

Normally, we dine at home, but this year will go out and based on the comments above, will go the Bully's route. Somehow going to a British pub for a traditional American holiday dinner doesn't seem right, but your description of Bourbon St. is similar to what we have experienced in the past, so we will give Bullys a try.

Thanks,

OMR

When I went to the Landmark Atrium two years ago, it was regular T and just fine...

Last year I went to Bullys.... But if I had gone to the Atrium again and found myself in front of a turkey ROLL at hotel dining prices, I would have been pretty PO'd...

That would be kind of the equivalent of farang passing out rubber ducks to Thais on Loy Krathong to float on the lakes and rivers...and saying "Well, they float don't they???" :)

I went to the Atrium last year, and aside from the turkey running out, it wasn't even a real turkey. it was some sort of turkey roll which the chef decided was more "up-scale." I talked to him about it, and he said his way of making turkey showed more cooking skill.

The problem with serving actual turkeys is the shortage of legs and dark meat. :)

And for those with more money than sense...or who just enjoy life in the luxury lane... :)

The Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa

Relax and let someone else play host this Thursday, and head over to Trader Vic's for a 6-course luxury menu. It's a complete feast with dishes like Terrine of Foie Gras and Guinea Fowl with fig chips and parsnip vanilla ice cream, and a traditional Assiette of Thanksgiving Turkey, comprising a roasted breast, ballotine of leg and flamed foie gras stuffing with brussel sprouts. (THB 1,450++ per person.)

If that doesn't suit you, try buffet style dining by the river. At Riverside Terrace, get your fill of Roast Turkey and Prime Rib of Australian Beef, with all the trimmings. Be sure to leave room for their extensive selection of homemade ice creams and 9 delicious pies and cakes. (THB 1,250++ per person.)

Still want that warm, fuzzy, at-home feel? Done! Call Numero Uno for a gourmet shopping list with all the perks. Roast Turkey, Honey Glazed Ham, Roasted Certified Angus Rib of Beef, all the trimmings you could dream of, as well as unrivaled desserts. Prices vary with selection.

Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa

257 Charoennakorn Road

|+66(0) 2 476 0022 Ext. 1416, [email protected]

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit

The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit lets you take your pick between a special Holiday Brunch at the Orchid Café (THB 1,250++), or tailor made American Dinner Buffets at Basil, Rossini, or The Living Room (THB 1,600++).

The selection here brings the best recipes and ingredients from all over the United States of America, with special dishes like shucked American Oysters, Poached Boston Lobster, and Stewed Black Mussels. Carvery includes tender Butterball Turkey with Giblet Gravy and Cranberry Sauce, herbs and bacon corn bread stuffing and mashed potatoes, Mesquite Smoked and Honey Glazed Pork Ribs, and baked sweet potatoes and corn on cob. For dessert, you can't go wrong with their massive selection of pies, including Mississippi Mud Pie, Apple Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Louisiana Pecan Pie, and Key Lime Pie.

Sheraton Grande Sukumvit,

250 Sukhumvit Rd.

+66(0) 2 649 8358

Source is Lifestyle Asia