Do You Believe This Quote From Stickman Is True?

vrsushi

^Absolute rubbish,

Stickman articles and reader submissions give an extremely warped perspective of life in Thailand. A perspective of someone who's life revolves entirely around the bar scene and the type of people who work in them.

Anyone who thinks otherwise IS that someone or is too new here to know otherwise, anyone who doesn't live that sort of life knows this all too well.

They only give a warped perspective to people who dont understand,or who havent discovered the truth yet,or dont want to discover the truth.So anyone who thinks otherwise IS that person who dosent understand Thailand.

Also,only a small percentage of stickmans articles revolve round the bar scene,there are hundreds that don't.Try reading some of them.

PST.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The article is about farangs who are retired and living here so if you are working I would guess you are not in a position to comment on the subject matter. Most people don't put a lot of thought into what retirement really means and instead just chase the date when magically they will be free from their previous lifestyle. Add to that the novelty of moving to Thailand and retirement can be a problem for many people. Once the novelty of not having to go to work has worn off, and, once a person has become acclimatised to living in Thailand they will likely start to look for new and more interesting things to do - playing golf, chasing women and drinking beer all day has a certain appeal to many but in practise people tend not to do those things on a full time basis indefinitely. Yes indeed there are a lot of bored retirees here in Thailand and I would guess that boredom is probably the number one pitfall of retiring here.

I think it is entirely up to the individual. I know quite a few "retirees" here in Bangers, most of whom are definitely not in the least bit bored. I am semi retired, but have started up a few ventures(which I would not have done at home cause of the "red tape") and am more than happy and satisfied with my lot - I don't do the "bar scene" so wont comment on that, but I have met a few, who think the bar scene is all there is to this beautiful country. I have travelled all over the country and find more happy people than bored ones, so I have to disagree with this post! Full of bored retirees, what a load of cods wallop! You just have to get outside the house and find some thing. It sure isn't going to come looking for you.

Edited by newtronbom

Retirement is a problem for WORKAHOLICS in any country. Nothing unusual about Thailand in that regard. For George Costanza types like myself who made it an art to AVOID WORK throughout our lives, its a piece of cake!

post-37101-1259144670_thumb.jpg

George Costanza enjoying another long period of "unemployment"

I find threads about being bored, so boring.

yawn -- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Do you still think so? See above. Wowza.

Edited by Jingthing

or who havent discovered the truth yet,or dont want to discover the truth

ahhh.... the age old excuse for the bigoted, ignorant or just plain stupid....

OR,the people that understand.

PST.

Hahaha, you mean the people who trick themselves into thinking they "understand" better than everyone else, to help explain to themselves why they are so miserable and bitter when other people can live a happy life without moaning at all and everything?

Edited by madjbs

or who havent discovered the truth yet,or dont want to discover the truth

ahhh.... the age old excuse for the bigoted, ignorant or just plain stupid....

OR,the people that understand.

PST.

Hahaha, you mean the people who trick themselves into thinking they "understand" better than everyone else, to help explain to themselves why they are so miserable and bitter when other people can live a happy life without moaning at all and everything?

Er,no,i mean the people that understand,can't be that difficult to understand can it?,obviously it can.

I understand,and i'm not miserable or bitter,i live a happy life and don't moan,why?,because i understand.

Fail.

PST.

What a w...er .............we came here to be bored with great food , good warm weather..lovely ladies and for the most part good people... not sure I'd want to sit in front of the TV listenng ,to my budgie and burn my knees in front of the coke fire....djeees..!!!! A miilion "euros" freezing their buts off watching coronation street....would be a bit tempted to change places????

.Anyway maybe they got me mixed up with someone who gives a flying...!!

gotta go.... got to be bored eating prawns,crab and coconut veggies... and watching the moon come up ...sitting in my jocks....aaah! boredom.....

Some sit in the Alps and watch the moon after a nice day hiking in the mountains, while others live alone in the tropics and never leave their room/home. Everything is up to everyone and prior to that to ones health.

Sure a kind of arrogant taunt by that Stickman guy, whoever he is.

If I were a young man and had to think about earning a living, I think I'd be suicidal. I put in my time and I was well ready to relax with no schedule to keep.

Unfortunately I have a number of projects started and rarely get any of them finished. I will say that when I lived in a condo, I was somewhat bored. Since moving upcountry, having plenty of land to grow anything I want, and being able to play with a tractor, I am happy. A large well equipped workshop is also great to have.

I do have many things I should do, but nothing I can't put off until tomorrow, or next week, or next month.

It's me! It's me!

Is it not true that the amount of time spent on Thaivisa is surely one measure of boredom.

no, because you don't know the circumstances. It depends on the situation.

Some have to stay at their office desks while nothing happens, or can handle the crane with their eyes closed, others stay at the beach with their wifi connection from their beach house or on mountains + 24 hrs wifi or on their ship.

While others, who are in wife's shack in the middle of a fallow rice field or alone in a hot small room right in the middle of Pattaya, have no friends at all, maybe a wife, who takes care of all the rest with their money and that's quiet ok or maybe that's quiet not ok, or no wife, no social contact, live in the desert, in Farangland in a submarine eager to come here, while others post 40 posts in their daily or weekly 10 minutes online............who knows?