Marriage Extension - Wife Earns Thb40k

Hi all,

I'd like to get a 1 year extension based on marriage to a [female] Thai national for my multiple Non-Immigrant 0. I am going on a visa run and getting the final 3 months of the visa early next week. [FYI I've been married now for over 4 years and am 32 year of age from the UK]. Here's the thing; my wife earns over THB40k/month. Can we have her as the sole source of income for the visa application? Has anyone else managed to do this? If so, please post.

Thanks in advance for replies.

This used to be possible, but the visa regulations were changed last year and it no longer is allowed.

Previously, it was 40,000 in combined family income. Now the money must be earned by the man, no more Mr. Moms allowed in Thailand (at least for the purposes of visa extensions).

mrmom.jpg

Edited by CWMcMurray

Yes, the requirements changed at the end of last year. Financial requirements for extension of stay based on marriage now being 400k in Thai bank account in your name for two months prior to first application (3 months for renewals) OR 40k/month income (your income). Being on Non-O visa you would apply during the last 30 days of your permission to stay.

What sort of documents do you need to show for the THB40k income? Do you also need to supply tax documentation etc? If I showed simply showed my [Thai] bank book which has THB150k-THB200k go in every 3 months [for the past few years] would that suffice? The figures would easily come out to well over THB40k amortized over a year...

I do know it's always a craps shoot when dealing with the authorities...

Thanks in advance for replies/help.

Thanks for the reply Mario! [Looks like I might check into if/how British embassy can help me with a letter; I'll post the results of the exercise which should prove interesting].

One more question; do you think you can use a Thai HSBC Premier account to drop the THB400k into if I decide to go this route?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Hi DQ

I found the British Embassy to be no problem with getting an Income Letter. Last year I went to Soi5 Jomtiem Consolate and although a bit concerned about my evidence, it appeared far less stringent than I had expected. That is, of course, only my personal experience. GOOD LUCK

If the money is HELD in a bank in Thailand, I cannot see a problem with HSBC, but I am not sure if that it the case, even though they have an office here? Suggest you ask Immigration & HSBC.

Dave

Be careful, Immigration can ask for the documents from your country that gives you the income, even though you have the letter from your Consulate. This happened to me. Fortunately I had anticipated they might ask, so I had them. They wanted copies. For those that try report the money by Consulate affidavit, beware. Good luck. Happy Holidays to all.

Immigration is well aware that a few embassies (such as the US, Australia) do not ask for sight of documentation when issuing income letter, and just rely on sworn affidavit. Immigration can ask for sight of evidence of income and there have been some other reports of this too. But if your information/affidavit is genuine you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the replies guys. Opening up a Premier account in Thailand shouldn't be a problem. If you have a Premier account outside of Thailand [which I do] it is a very easy process. Has anyone ever showed the THB400k in another currency, like USD for example? Do you think this would fly, or they'd demand you show the cash in THB?

Edited by dairy queen

I do not not any experience with the 400,000 rule in USD, but I did use overseas income for one extension and they used the USD amount multiplied by the current fx rate. So it stands to reason that they may do the same with a USD currency account in a Thai Bank.