England Squad - The 23

mommysboy

I also think outsiders (Messi, Gullit, Platini etc etc) should stop talking about England as one of the world cup favourites. They should concentrate on their own team.

Would suit us better without having the players thinking they are the best even before winning anything. Dont expect anything and England might actually get far.....

It's a common bit of gamesmanship and England are soft targets, or perhaps that should be 'were'. Somehow, I think Capello will keep them in check.

But it is easy to get carried away about our chances: we have a very good team, but then just take a glance at the others, and some are even better.

We have the best manager though.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

we have a very good team, but then just take a glance at the others, and some are even better.

Do you remember the previous England failings tactically really do you coz I do and England were an embarassment to quality football and the home of football don't make me laugh.

It won't be any different this time either....wait till you meet a decent side and you'll look no better than us..,.and that's not a complement by the way. :)

we have a very good team, but then just take a glance at the others, and some are even better.

Do you remember the previous England failings tactically really do you coz I do and England were an embarassment to quality football and the home of football don't make me laugh.

It won't be any different this time either....wait till you meet a decent side and you'll look no better than us..,.and that's not a complement by the way. :)

I'm not sure there was anything in my even handed comment that should cause a post like this.

Are you the board nutter?

I'm not sure there was anything in my even handed comment that should cause a post like this.

England have a great chance of winning the World Cup. In fact they are one of the favourites.

And yes I am the board's loon. :D

Are you insinuating that Capello is a Tactical failure or Tactically inept ??

I have to say Mr Smokie that if England go out it won't be because of the coach's lack of tactical acumen. There's no better coach i can see in this competition.

I have to say Mr Smokie that if England go out it won't be because of the coach's lack of tactical acumen. There's no better coach i can see in this competition.

indeed, he probably is the best coach in the competition.

so when england crash out ignominiously it will be for the usual reasons like being incapable of playing a different, slower style of football where you keep possession for long periods or having no bottle when it comes to penalty shootouts.

indeed, he probably is the best coach in the competition.

so when england crash out ignominiously it will be for the usual reasons like being incapable of playing a different, slower style of football where you keep possession for long periods or having no bottle when it comes to penalty shootouts.

No it won't, it will be because the Players aren't good enough, which they're not..

I do think we're capable of overacheiving though & would not be surprised if we got to the Semi's..

No it won't, it will be because the Players aren't good enough, which they're not..

I do think we're capable of overacheiving though & would not be surprised if we got to the Semi's..

some of them are. but a side isn't going to win this world cup without a top class defensive midfielder, without a top class goalscoring centre forward, without a top class goalkeeper and with its two best centrebacks being injury and rick prone.

some of them are. but a side isn't going to win this world cup without a top class defensive midfielder, without a top class goalscoring centre forward, without a top class goalkeeper and with its two best centrebacks being injury and rick prone.

So what you're saying is, our Players ain't good enough ?? :)

We've got decent GK, a world class forward, awesome attacking midfielder and more than capable back 4.

That should count for something.

Or alternatively you could say that we dont actually have a number 1, we rely too much on our only Striker who's any good, a Midfield that doesn't seem ot be able to play together or well for their Country & a Central Defensive Partnership that even if we have our first choice 2, look horribly out of form at the moment.

Capello will play to the players strengths which is fine in the group stage but in the later stages they will struggle to keep possession against the better sides and look poor. I just can't see any real attacking threat or purpose about them. Aside from the manager nothing has changed except maybe a bit older this time round.

Crouch as the target man...here we go again just not good enough I'm afraid.

I hope I'm wrong by the way.

Right, my 7 to miss out :

Warnock

Dawson

SWP

Parker

Carrick or Huddlestone

Cole or Johnson

Heskey

There's been quite a bit of speculation in the press that Parker might get in the final 22. Not only has he trained well but he could be needed for either Barry or Carrick.

This would be my 23.

Hart

James

Green

Cole

Rio

Terry

Johnson

Carra

Dawson

King

Warnock

Gerrard

lampard

lennon

Walcott

Milner

Johnson

Cole

Barry ( if fit )

Rooney

Defoe

Bent

Crouch

Playing a 4,3,3 with Rooney up on his own and the 2 wingers. Same as United play in Europe and the big games in the Premier league.

England have a great chance of winning the World Cup. In fact they are one of the favourites.

And yes I am the board's loon. :D

'And yes I am the board's loon'

Well better that than the nutter on the bus.

But the latest speculation about Capello's future is a surprise, perhaps this is the good old F.A's new way of securing failure no matter what.

But the latest speculation about Capello's future is a surprise, perhaps this is the good old F.A's new way of securing failure no matter what.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/178082 Unsurprising to hear these rumours.

After all Capello is simply in England for the money and if a better offer comes along with a side which has just won the Champions league well...Bye England he's off to win some trophies and pocket even more cash in his home country to boot.

Capello will of course use the FA's cock ups and indecision as a thin excuse when he walks.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/178082 Unsurprising to hear these rumours.

After all Capello is simply in England for the money and if a better offer comes along with a side which has just won the Champions league well...Bye England he's off to win some trophies and pocket even more cash in his home country to boot.

Capello will of course use the FA's cock ups and indecision as a thin excuse when he walks.

Remember he has nothing left to prove at club level, only at international. Let's see how England actually do in the tournament :)

Remember he has nothing left to prove at club level, only at international. Let's see how England actually do in the tournament :)

Oops I forgot all of England's world beating U21 squad will be ready to tackle the next tournament. How could he even contemplate leaving?

You're right in the rescect that no decision will be made until after the World Cup and the same probably now on any player transfer deals(well any players at the WC anyway).

well on the fifa rankings england are 8th so quarter-finals of the world cup is about par for them.

After the Japan performance, suddenly the squad debate, and who makes the 23, seems inconsequential.

But anyway, Cole and SWP looked good whereas Walcott and Lennon didn't- a real conundrum for the manager.

Otherwise all straightforward.

Poor old Huddlestone really looked out of it.

And in the end Heskey and Carrick are safe bets over anyone else.

After the Japan performance, suddenly the squad debate, and who makes the 23, seems inconsequential.

But anyway, Cole and SWP looked good whereas Walcott and Lennon didn't- a real conundrum for the manager.

I'd be surprised if anyone other than Wayne Rooney and Joe Hart were safe after that game. :)

Edited by smokie36

I'd be surprised if anyone other than Wayne Rooney and Joe Hart were safe after that game. :)

I had sickening recollections of that dreadful 2006 tournament!

I really hope they pull themselves together smartish.

Care to reconsider your earlier comment?...... :D

Care to reconsider your earlier comment?...... :D

Perhaps just a tad bonkers then!

But we know England can play well, it's not a question of inability.

Actually, insanity is a good coping mechanism for watching England at times.

Smokie, honestly, if i was Scottish i wouldn't keep digging England out, i'd be embaressed about how <deleted> my own Nation was at Football & wouldn't utter a word about others..

My 23 right now.

James/Green Hart in no particular order.

Johnson/Terry/King/Upson/Ferdinand/A Cole/Richards

Lennon/Walcott/Gerrard/Cole/Parker/Lampard/J Cole/Milner

Bent/Rooner/Defoe/Crouch

The one remainder would be Barry if fit, if he isn't fit i'd go for probably Leighton Baines now.

Smokie, honestly, if i was Scottish i wouldn't keep digging England out, i'd be embaressed about how <deleted> my own Nation was at Football & wouldn't utter a word about others..

My 23 right now.

Bent/Rooner/Defoe/Crouch

The one remainder would be Barry if fit, if he isn't fit i'd go for probably Leighton Baines now.

I would pick Barry even if not fully fit for the first games and Walcott has probably ruled himself out today with SWP taking his place.

singhy if I was silent until we reached a World Cup I might as well join a monastery...sad but true. :)

My 23 right now.

Bent/Rooner/Defoe/Crouch

You are pretty much on the mark but i would'nt take Upson, and yes, a sad reality is the headless chicken will be going to terrorise those foreign defenses. There's really no one else is there? :)

Might want to take a look at your midfield though.

My 23 right now.

Bent/Rooner/Defoe/Crouch

You are pretty much on the mark but i would'nt take Upson, and yes, a sad reality is the headless chicken will be going to terrorise those foreign defenses. There's really no one else is there? :)

Might want to take a look at your midfield though.

I'd rather not take Upson Carmine honestly, i can't stand him but there honestly isn't anyone else..

& the Midfeild, have i missed someone ??

The Pareker decision has been made easy in my opinion with how Carrick regulary performs at International Level & i'd rather have Parker over Huddlestone for this specific Tournament even though i am a Huddlestone Fan..